Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:57:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It's looking more obvious....  (Read 4712 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
It's looking more obvious....
« on November 11, 2023, 05:10:48 pm by Nudga »
That this is a rebuilding season. I think the optimistic ones (me being one) thought we could challenge this season.
We need a decent January window and a good summer recruitment for a proper title e challenge next season.

The foundations are there, just need to off load a few of the inconsistent players and the injury prone and replace with some proper robust winners.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
Re: It's looking more obvious....
« Reply #1 on November 11, 2023, 05:14:01 pm by StocksArmy »
Its quite simple really, barring the exception of Molyneux every player that was here last season needs to go.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 11, 2023, 05:15:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are much better than last season, and generally better last month or two, than the first month or two of this season. We are improving. It’s getting better.

Still too many people getting excited after every win and predicting promotion. This is a very tough league and we are starting from a very low base. It will take time, likely not until next season if we can keep McCann that long.

Still poor defensively especially in the soft as shit centre, still poor away from home, and still not ruthless enough in front of goal.

The curve is definitely upwards though and we look like a team with a plan, even if games like today are disappointing.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 11, 2023, 05:18:11 pm by bpoolrover »
We are much better than last season, and generally better last month or two, than the first month or two of this season. We are improving. It’s getting better.

Still too many people getting excited after every win and predicting promotion. This is a very tough league and we are starting from a very low base. It will take time, likely not until next season if we can keep McCann that long.

Still poor defensively especially in the soft as shit centre, still poor away from home, and still not ruthless enough in front of goal.

The curve is definitely upwards though and we look like a team with a plan, even if games like today are disappointing.
we are better this season but at the min are 19th i think in the league, which lets be honest is not very good

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 11, 2023, 05:19:40 pm by Prez »
I was only thinking this morning about how next season we need 2 solid centre halfs. After watching the Wimbledon game just now, that really makes it an absolute must.

I really thought Wood would bolster the defence, but something tells me Grant doesnt fancy him.

Big Tom (who was excellent against Tranmere) is just too inconsistent, and Olowu is just not stong enough.

Still need a midfield Mr too. Broadbent is arguably Grants weakest signing. Hope the lad comes good, but i fail to see what he offers.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 11, 2023, 05:21:56 pm by Chris Black come back »

we are better this season but at the min are 19th i think in the league, which lets be honest is not very good

19th is frankly embarrassing given our budget and facilities but McCann is trying to clean up probably 4 seasons of complete mismanagement at the club when it comes to recruitment and retention decisions. Huge amounts of money has been wasted and he is out there with his mop cleaning up the mess. I’m sure we will finish safely higher than 19th.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 11, 2023, 05:35:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
It's a weird league because we're only 7 points off the playoffs so everything is still to play for. But on the pitch we still look like an unconnected cabal of individuals who are littered with mistakes and poor decision-making.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 11, 2023, 05:35:21 pm by ravenrover »
What on earth have facilities got to do with it?

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 11, 2023, 05:44:18 pm by In the box »
That this is a rebuilding season. I think the optimistic ones (me being one) thought we could challenge this season.
We need a decent January window and a good summer recruitment for a proper title e challenge next season.

The foundations are there, just need to off load a few of the inconsistent players and the injury prone and replace with some proper robust winners.
We can be pragmatic about this season , but after all the hype surrounding McCanns return and all the new signings ( of which there hasn’t any notable ones  ) just haven’t blazed a trail in any shape or form . To settle for just a building season  isn’t what was on offer or expected !!

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 11, 2023, 05:47:30 pm by Spilsby Red »
In the box. Do you come on when we win or just like to whinge

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 11, 2023, 05:49:26 pm by Chris Black come back »

We are not rattling around on Belle Vue and training at the Deaf School. We have a League One set up and budget yet are playing in League Two. Being where we are at 19th in League Two only happens if something has gone very badly wrong - which it has in the last few seasons.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2023, 05:54:49 pm by mushRTID »

We are not rattling around on Belle Vue and training at the Deaf School. We have a League One set up and budget yet are playing in League Two. Being where we are at 19th in League Two only happens if something has gone very badly wrong - which it has in the last few seasons.

Biggest thing that’s gone wrong is appointing McSheffrey instead of experience when;

A - it was all still to play for at the time
B - Baldwin saying it is financially better for us in L1

A truly strange decision considering the above.

It’s now looking like a 3rd season in L2 on the back of that decision and plenty of other bad ones.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2023, 06:04:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s the total inconsistency that has killed us.

With Moore it was ‘try before you buy’ so we got in loads of loanees and didn’t build a squad. Then Moore left. Then we brought in Wellens and allowed him to recruit, signing arguably the worst crop of players since 1997/98. Then we went to Copps/Coach model and almost managed to undercut Wellens in terms of disjointed recruitment. Then we move to handing all power back to McCann (correct move in short term) and asking him to clean up the mess.

This is all in space of 4 seasons we have totally shifted our strategy and as a result we are 19th in League Two and honestly, most fans are thankful for even that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 06:06:46 pm by Chris Black come back »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 11, 2023, 06:09:36 pm by colincramb »

This is one of the silliest things I’ve read on here. Can’t believe I need to point this out but… if you have got better all round facilities then the club should perform better than those that have worse. It’s not that difficult to get your head around, surely?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 11, 2023, 06:09:54 pm by Bessie Red »

We can be pragmatic about this season , but after all the hype surrounding McCanns return and all the new signings ( of which there hasn’t any notable ones  ) just haven’t blazed a trail in any shape or form . To settle for just a building season  isn’t what was on offer or expected !!
We've won 6 of the last 10 league games, I'd say that not a bad record.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 11, 2023, 06:32:39 pm by Campsall rover »
There are far too many people expecting too much from our team this season.
I am a little guilty of that at times also.

The fact is as has been said GM is clearing up the mess from the last 2 and a third seasons.
He is having to change a losing mentality into a winning mentality. That doesn’t happen overnight.
Another thing has anyone taken the time to work out the ave age of our starting line up today.
No Wood, Rowe, Close or Ironside. Latter 2 came on as subs.
That is a very young team, and quite inexperienced at this level.

We have some talented players who are all gong to get better under GM
But anyone who thinks we are going to win 4/5 games on the trot this side of January is not seeing the reality as to where we are at present
It could happen on the new year.
Rome really wasn’t built in a day, a month or even 6 months.
The same will apply to Rovers.
Give GM time because he will build a promotion team.
Amazing soon as we lose a game the doom and gloom posters are in full voice.
Football is about losing as well as winning. It is how you react to defeats that’s important.
We will see a reaction on Tues at Accrington that I am sure GM will get from this group.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 11, 2023, 06:41:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
GM needs more than time, he needs the backing in January and next summer.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 11, 2023, 06:49:28 pm by PDX_Rover »
Far too many people writing this season off. Much improved on last season. Expect to see continued improvement.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 11, 2023, 06:54:12 pm by Campsall rover »
GM needs more than time, he needs the backing in January and next summer.
Forget January
Who will we get in Jan
All the decent players are under contract until June.
Do you want GM to sign players for the sake of it. We have done that in the last 2 Jan windows. No we need quality.
That will happen in the summer.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 11, 2023, 06:59:54 pm by Branton Red »
Far too early to write the season off. There's 29 games to go.

Rovers have 18 points from the last 10 matches.

The play offs are still a realistic target given the quality of the manager and players.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 11, 2023, 07:06:26 pm by drfchound »

We've won 6 of the last 10 league games, I'd say that not a bad record.

It isn’t bad at all.
If we won 6 and lost 4 of each group of ten games we would make the play offs.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 11, 2023, 07:24:38 pm by Pliskin »
Regardless of how realistic it was, all the messaging coming out of the club before the season started heavily implied that promotion was the aim, and they sold a lot of season tickets on the back of this.

I'm sure that the board and Grant McCann will be privately disappointed with how things have panned out so far. Read the statement regarding extra investment made by Terry Bramall and David Blunt in April, listen to McCann's first interview - people are trying to move the goalposts but it's just not credible to suggest that this was always pencilled in as a rebuilding season.

It's not fair to criticise our fans for having expectations that are aligned with what the board and manager have outlined themselves, of seeing a team competing at the right of the table. In fact I'd say that our fans have been incredibly reasonable so far given how we've performed.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 11, 2023, 07:41:19 pm by Campsall rover »
Promotion was probably the aim of all 24 clubs before the season started.

But only 4 will achieve it.

Of course promotion was the aim
What’s the point of bothering if it isn’t.

But it is still achievable &!that’s a fact.
Not saying we will though.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 11, 2023, 07:42:55 pm by pib »
 :rtid:

Biggest thing that’s gone wrong is appointing McSheffrey instead of experience when;

A - it was all still to play for at the time
B - Baldwin saying it is financially better for us in L1

A truly strange decision considering the above.

It’s now looking like a 3rd season in L2 on the back of that decision and plenty of other bad ones.

Couldn’t agree more. Felt like a very strange and potentially very poor decision at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight it was absolutely crackers.

Just a reminder that if we’d have got THREE more points that season we’d have survived.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 11, 2023, 07:52:18 pm by Pliskin »

Sorry, that was badly worded on second reading. I should have written "all the messaging coming out of the club before the season started heavily implied that competing for promotion was the expectation for this season".

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 11, 2023, 08:05:58 pm by RoversInSpain »

Yep that’s exactly it. Can’t turn 3 years of crap into sudden world beaters or even Lge 2 play off challengers. Which is absolutely fine, as happy for a steady build over 3 seasons.
Haven’t had much view of Wood, but 2 centre halves need to go for starters as we’ve not dealt with crosses for 3 years and the common denominators are still there and need replacing. (Long and Younger aren’t the answer either).
So that’s a starter for ten.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 11, 2023, 08:10:29 pm by Campsall rover »

Sorry, that was badly worded on second reading. I should have written "all the messaging coming out of the club before the season started heavily implied that competing for promotion was the expectation for this season".

And we will compete
We might not achieve it but we won’t be a million miles away from the play offs come April  imo.
29 games that’s 87 points to play for
If we get 54 then we have a chance.
It’s a big ask but this team or squad will improve as the season goes on.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 11, 2023, 08:30:28 pm by dickos1 »
Its quite simple really, barring the exception of Molyneux every player that was here last season needs to go.

That’s nonsense!
Close, westbrooke, Anderson, have all been very good this season!
Maxwell, hurst we would be mad to get rid of

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 11, 2023, 08:40:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
I wouldn’t bother in the January window at all. We have a big squad and as they all get back fit we might want to loan out a few of the younger lads. Come summer I think it unlikely we are going to be offering Wood another year, and likewise Long. We are playing Bailey and Senior in a back 3 as the centre backs we have aren’t a good enough unit. We need to sort that out in the summer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 08:42:33 pm by Chris Black come back »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 11, 2023, 08:41:17 pm by Campsall rover »

That’s nonsense!
Close, westbrooke, Anderson, have all been very good this season!
Maxwell, we would be mad to get rid of
There is an awful lot of nonsense written on here after every defeat.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012