Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:17:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It's looking more obvious....  (Read 4711 times)

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
Re: It's looking more obvious....
« Reply #30 on November 11, 2023, 08:47:49 pm by Spilsby Red »
Always the same after a defeat. Never come on when we win. We are going to lose games. Be crap in games. Win games. Be good in games. It’s football. It happens. People need to remember we have had the same 11 for most of the season so far. That takes a lot of energy.

It’s a damn sight a lot better than under DS. So, yes be down but don’t lambast the team after a defeat, warranted or not

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 11, 2023, 09:57:07 pm by bpoolrover »
Always the same after a defeat. Never come on when we win. We are going to lose games. Be crap in games. Win games. Be good in games. It’s football. It happens. People need to remember we have had the same 11 for most of the season so far. That takes a lot of energy.

It’s a damn sight a lot better than under DS. So, yes be down but don’t lambast the team after a defeat, warranted or not
your right to a point, if we lost today and put a half decent performance in it would not be so bad, but we were crap

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on November 11, 2023, 10:59:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm always amazed at the inquest that follows a defeat exceeds the celebration after a win.

All of a sudden, most players become useless and poor signings and finger pointing resumes at anyone within the club who might have been involved in recruitment, and now, the January transfer window is becoming critical?

It's a game of football where we've been particularly poor and I'm sure all the players know, as should we, they are capable of better. It's up to McCann to continue whatever he's been doing that got us progressing up to now. I don't think anyone would argue that McCann is capable of dealing with this particular bump in the road.

I doubt very much McCann will have high expectations for the January window. Probably a case of making some small adjustments with the squad here and there, including reviewing a couple of the loanees. We know through experience, January isn't the best time for major changes unless our hands are forced.

In the meantime, he's somehow got to keep the players positive, and as physically and mentally fresh as possible, which isn't easy given little time between matches, but that's what good managers do. He will have to show a damn sight more belief in his players than we do on this forum.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 11:11:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 11, 2023, 11:26:09 pm by Ryaldinhio »

your right to a point, if we lost today and put a half decent performance in it would not be so bad, but we were crap

Even in a 'poor' performance today we were 10× better than we were last season.

Get some perspective

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 12, 2023, 08:01:39 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Massive step forward, let's be honest we finished last season on relegation form and performances.

The bad start hit us league table wise, the last 10 games have been much better and we'll keep moving up.

Yesterday was a poor performance, very much like last year, the key is how we bounce back from it.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 12, 2023, 10:14:06 am by StocksArmy »
Its quite simple really, barring the exception of Molyneux every player that was here last season needs to go.

That’s nonsense!
Close, westbrooke, Anderson, have all been very good this season!
Maxwell, hurst we would be mad to get rid of

Maxwell and Hurst i will give you but the other 3 you are talking absolute tripe. I will make a bet with you that after the next summer window they are either shifted on or are squad players. The fact that Close and Anderson never stay fit is an argument in itself but to say they have been very good.....wow, just wow. We really have been that bad the last few years for you to see that. Do you think these players walk into one of the teams in the top 7 right now as a starter? Because thats what i mean by being good enough. You really are just one of the posters on here that are happy with 19th. Win a few, lose a few and you are happy.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on November 12, 2023, 10:24:35 am by ncRover »
As clubs we were in pretty much identical situations to both Crewe and Wimbledon last season and the season before.

Now

Crewe 4th

Wimbledon 9th

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 12, 2023, 10:32:26 am by Campsall rover »
Its quite simple really, barring the exception of Molyneux every player that was here last season needs to go.

That’s nonsense!

Maxwell and Hurst i will give you but the other 3 you are talking absolute tripe. I will make a bet with you that after the next summer window they are either shifted on or are squad players. The fact that Close and Anderson never stay fit is an argument in itself but to say they have been very good.....wow, just wow. We really have been that bad the last few years for you to see that. Do you think these players walk into one of the teams in the top 7 right now as a starter? Because thats what i mean by being good enough. You really are just one of the posters on here that are happy with 19th. Win a few, lose a few and you are happy.
No one is happy being 19th in the table.
But if you can’t see massive progress has been made so far this season from the shambles of the last 2and a third seasons then not sure what you’re watching.
Just wait and see what our results are from January to April Stocks before you make any judgement on individual players and the team as a whole.
You seriously are expecting far too much far too soon.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 12, 2023, 12:34:54 pm by Thorney »
Maxwell, Hurst and Bailey are 3 players that we should look to build the team around. Best 3 players we have and also the 3 players that I can see will have a very good sell on value when that time will come.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on November 12, 2023, 12:35:27 pm by ravenrover »
What on earth have facilities got to do with it?

This is one of the silliest things I’ve read on here. Can’t believe I need to point this out but… if you have got better all round facilities then the club should perform better than those that have worse. It’s not that difficult to get your head around, surely?
But, but, but we've had the facilities for how many years? Obviously got nothing to do with the players then but the facilities are good so that's OK

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 12, 2023, 12:51:42 pm by sf9944 »
Usual over-reactions.  Whilst we were undoubtedly poor, so were Wimbledon and I think they should consider themselves very lucky to have comfortably won a game in which they created hardly any chances at all. 

The thing that really concerns me is the consistency with which we manage to basically give our opponents goals for free!

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 12, 2023, 12:59:14 pm by keith79 »
The injury list as long as my arm is not helping. I'd be happy to be close at the end of December and get everyone back. Keep the faith

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on November 12, 2023, 01:48:54 pm by StocksArmy »

That’s nonsense!

But if you can’t see massive progress has been made so far this season from the shambles of the last 2and a third seasons then not sure what you’re watching.
Just wait and see what our results are from January to April Stocks before you make any judgement on individual players and the team as a whole.

Im just reading through my comments Camps where i have suggested we haven't improved on last season. I have on numerous occasions said there is vast improvement on other posts in the past and always maintained that whilst we as fans and the staff at the club want to get in that top 7, the players i have mentioned need to be replaced. That is what I am sticking to with or without the injury problems we have had/having

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 12, 2023, 03:14:29 pm by Campsall rover »

That’s nonsense!

Im just reading through my comments Camps where i have suggested we haven't improved on last season. I have on numerous occasions said there is vast improvement on other posts in the past and always maintained that whilst we as fans and the staff at the club want to get in that top 7, the players i have mentioned need to be replaced. That is what I am sticking to with or without the injury problems we have had/having
Ok no problem.

I disagree on Close, Westbrooke. They have improved considerably under GM’s management.
As dickos said Maxwell and Hurst are players we need to keep. Both 21 yrs old and both have potential to improve and become very good players not only in League 2 but in League 1 also.
Just look at Harry Toffolo. Hands up anyone who thought he would be a Championship player. He is now playing in the Premier league for Forest.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 12, 2023, 03:40:45 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Writing seasons off, some on here have been doing that for past four seasons. There are no excuses for the poor form we have had before our recent run of good form. The manager knew what he was coming into and the backing he would receive, he has underachieved with the players he has. Even allowing for injuries, we should have won a lot more games than we have.

Everyone can see the defensive formation hasn’t worked, for most of the season and seasons past. The mistakes keep happening, the lack of concentration in there. A really good centre half is needed, those at the club have proven they aren’t capable of being that player.

There is the makings of a good side there. Recent form shows that, but come against the better teams and we will come up short because of the inability to keep clean sheets. In my opinion he should be looking now for a top centre half and trying to offload a few that just aren’t good enough back there.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 12, 2023, 04:08:36 pm by StocksArmy »

That’s nonsense!

Ok no problem.

I disagree on Close, Westbrooke. They have improved considerably under GM’s management.
As dickos said Maxwell and Hurst are players we need to keep. Both 21 yrs old and both have potential to improve and become very good players not only in League 2 but in League 1 also.
Just look at Harry Toffolo. Hands up anyone who thought he would be a Championship player. He is now playing in the Premier league for Forest.

Thats a fair comment. I did backtrack on Maxwell and Hurst. I didnt think of those 2 at the time. The other 3 we will agree to disagree on.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 12, 2023, 04:32:51 pm by RoversInSpain »
Much more enjoyable to watch, much more promise for the future overall so far this season. I predicted a finish of 11th and still see that. Next season will be better too.
The injured players will be back, though I don’t see a big difference to the results we’ve already had this season, they’ll move us from 19th to 11th ish.
The reason for the big reaction on here after a defeat imo is the total disbelief and frustration that we fail to defend a cross and concede exactly the same type of goal as we have done for 3 years. This issue has not been addressed and it’s killing us.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on November 13, 2023, 11:48:35 am by donnybez »
Much more enjoyable to watch, much more promise for the future overall so far this season. I predicted a finish of 11th and still see that. Next season will be better too.
The injured players will be back, though I don’t see a big difference to the results we’ve already had this season, they’ll move us from 19th to 11th ish.
The reason for the big reaction on here after a defeat imo is the total disbelief and frustration that we fail to defend a cross and concede exactly the same type of goal as we have done for 3 years. This issue has not been addressed and it’s killing us.
Sorry but only 3 years???
Apart from a small era of Rob Jones at the back, I seem to recall even Jan Budtz struggling with crosses back in the day!
Honestly though, I'm not panicking about any of this because honestly the football has been a damn sight better than the past 2 seasons. We are where we are and it will take time to change but I have no doubt that it will. These past 3 seasons have been atrocious, we are carrying a lot of baggage as a club, but we can clearly see improvement in the style, in the attitude, and how the clubs being run so lets not panic just yet

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on November 13, 2023, 12:18:06 pm by selby »
  Off the ball Close is a nightmare, and plays a lot of from me to you short balls when on it, a luxury player we can't afford to carry when it is a battle, and easily marked and closed down in a game.
  Westbrook in the games I have watched him shows much more energy, links well and closes players down up the pitch, and has had few poor games in the matches I have watched even if we have lost he has been one of the better players.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 13, 2023, 01:13:50 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
  Off the ball Close is a nightmare, and plays a lot of from me to you short balls when on it, a luxury player we can't afford to carry when it is a battle, and easily marked and closed down in a game.
  Westbrook in the games I have watched him shows much more energy, links well and closes players down up the pitch, and has had few poor games in the matches I have watched even if we have lost he has been one of the better players.
Close averages more tackles, interceptions and clearances per 90 this season  than Westbrooke as well as being one of our most creative players, he’s a massive miss for us when he’s not playing. It’s not just a coincidence that we started to pick up results when he came back into the squad.

He’s one of the only players in our squad that can create a chance out of nothing (Moyneux and Hurst being the other 2).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 01:23:32 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 13, 2023, 01:36:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
In terms of being in the mix (competitive in most games even if we don’t win them) a midfield with Close and Westbrooke is essential. Our failings are consistently at the back, and inability to be ruthless enough in front of goal, even if the hold up and build up play is excellent at times.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 13, 2023, 02:25:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
League matches when Close has started this season.

P8 W5 D0 L3 Pts15. PPG1.88

Matches when he hasn't started.

P9 W1 D2 L6 PTS5. PPG0.44

Draw your own conclusions.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 13, 2023, 02:29:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Even more extreme when you include the games where he came on as sub

With Close

P10 W6 D0 L4 Pts18. PPG1.80

Without Close

P7 W0 D2 L5 Pts2. PPG0.28

I do wonder what some of our fans watch on a Saturday.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on November 13, 2023, 02:32:43 pm by ravenrover »
Or their agenda

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 13, 2023, 03:15:20 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

With Close

Without Close

it’s the same with a lot of players we have, ppl make their minds up about players and write them off straight away and then prefer to be proved right in a negative way than proved wrong in a positive.

Even in the couple of games at the start of Wellens’ tenure he looked good further forward (especially MK at home) then got injured for the season. He then came in to the team last season and pretty sure he won one of the player of the season awards.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on November 13, 2023, 05:20:37 pm by Campsall rover »
Apart from a small era of Rob Jones at the back, I seem to recall even Jan Budtz struggling with crosses back in the day!
Honestly though, I'm not panicking about any of this because honestly the football has been a damn sight better than the past 2 seasons. We are where we are and it will take time to change but I have no doubt that it will. These past 3 seasons have been atrocious, we are carrying a lot of baggage as a club, but we can clearly see improvement in the style, in the attitude, and how the clubs being run so lets not panic just yet
If anyone is panicking then they haven’t been watching our games & the massive improvement from last seasons shambles.
We are slow bit sure getting to where we need to be. I keep saying it, we won’t see the best performances of this season until the new year. 

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on November 13, 2023, 06:46:00 pm by selby »
  Raven, I only have one agenda for Doncaster Rovers and that is to have better players at the club than we currently have sitting 19th in the second division, and that includes Close who has been part of our fall from grace when he has played while being our top earning player, we can and have to get better as quickly as we can.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 13, 2023, 08:30:50 pm by GazLaz »

With Close

Without Close

I’ve said for the last couple of seasons he’s our best player.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on November 13, 2023, 08:41:59 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Still all to play for so wouldn’t be calling it a rebuild season yet. If we get a fit squad I could see us getting a run going. That said some of our best results come when we’re depleted

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on November 14, 2023, 06:22:18 am by mpc123 »
If anyone is panicking then they haven’t been watching our games & the massive improvement from last seasons shambles.
We are slow bit sure getting to where we need to be. I keep saying it, we won’t see the best performances of this season until the new year. 

Agree with this.

Even with the players we have now it's starting to get there. The key injured players coming back and then a couple of additions in Jan and 2024 looks good.

There always seems to be one team near the bottom that goes on a run late and gets in the play offs or just misses out and this year looking down there  maybe it is us or Bradford.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012