Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:58:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saunders is targeting the play-offs....  (Read 5562 times)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Saunders is targeting the play-offs....
« on January 07, 2013, 04:01:59 pm by mjdgreg »
pmsl. Heard that joke before. Coming out with the same drivel he did when he first took over Rovers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:04:18 pm by mjdgreg »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: Saunders is targeting the play-offs....
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2013, 04:04:15 pm by The L J Monk »
He's selling himself a bit short there.

I reckon they could get top 2 in League One next season.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2013, 04:06:59 pm by Akinfenwa »
When did Saunders ever "target the playoffs" here?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2013, 04:07:34 pm by MrFrost »

Exactly. He always said he was looking to consolidate.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2013, 04:08:47 pm by Chris »

Exactly. He always said he was looking to consolidate.

I recall Saunders saying that the play offs were possible. Something along those lines, anyway.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2013, 04:09:49 pm by MachoMadness »
McKay said the play-offs were possible. Don't think Saunders ever said the same.

MartinB

« Reply #6 on January 07, 2013, 04:10:12 pm by MartinB »
Either way Mick, move on you have been a complete pain the arse over SOD and now Dean has gone you should be happy. He's moved on forget he was ever here, concentrate on the club moving forwards the endless posts you contribute are boring and no doubt have stopped other people joining & viewing this forum.

:rtid: Prove it.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2013, 04:12:43 pm by Chris »
McKay said the play-offs were possible. Don't think Saunders ever said the same.

He certainly said the same, mate.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2013, 04:15:37 pm by MrFrost »
Not surprisingly, Mick has been absent while Saunders' team has been performing well in the league, and was completely wrong with his predictions. Just like he is wrong about everything else.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2013, 04:18:17 pm by Wellred »
No real surprise that he has re appeared now is it?

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2013, 04:49:13 pm by Donnybob »
John Ryan said on Radio Sheffield immediately after his appointment and the announcement of the 'experiment' that he had not ruled out the play-offs and that he was expecting to push for promotion to the premiership this year. That's exactly what he was employed to do, not get us relegated.

Read the comments he's made in his press conference today and you will be forgiven for thinking he's slipped up and used exactly the same script he used in the September he joined us.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2013, 04:50:55 pm by MrFrost »
It's amazing how many Saunders knockers have come out of the woodwork since this news, not one praising him for the fantastic job he has done this season.

I admit I was on the fence before the season started, and don't care for him now he has gone, but some will just give credit where it is due.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2013, 04:56:28 pm by Donnybob »
Why so surprised Frosty?

We've simply allowed you to indulge in your illusion that he's loyal, honourable, Rovers through and through, that he talks great sense and plays wonderful, attractive, attack minded football and the bubble will never burst.

You might find a few more returning to the circus now the chief clown's left the ring.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2013, 05:05:23 pm by mjdgreg »
Read the comments he's made in his press conference today and you will be forgiven for thinking he's slipped up and used exactly the same script he used in the September he joined us.

Was just like experiencing deja-vu.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2013, 05:07:31 pm by roverssam1879 »
Wolves will be up there at the end of the season.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2013, 05:14:13 pm by MachoMadness »
He's got us to 2nd in the league though, unless that's an illusion too.

Honestly, some people need a reality check. Wolves are a massive club with a turnover many times the size of ours, with an infrastructure we can only dream of. Would SO'D have stayed if that job was offered to him? Would Penney? Would any manager who wasn't born and bred DRFC, and even then most would probably take it. Give credit where it's due, Saunders did a terrific job here and he has the league table to back him up - Wolves wouldn't have come knocking otherwise. It's common sense. Tells you a lot about some of our fans that petty point-scoring is more important than getting behind the club and manager even when we're doing well.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2013, 05:21:08 pm by Spud »
Agree Macho (& with most of what you post tbh) but is funny how the same soundbytes are rolled out, and rather patronising to the Wolves fans.
DS's interviews were a joke last season, he was more like a politician, or puppet whichever way you look at it. Totally and refreshingly honest this season however.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2013, 05:24:42 pm by mjdgreg »
He's got us to 2nd in the league though, unless that's an illusion too.

Honestly, some people need a reality check. Wolves are a massive club with a turnover many times the size of ours, with an infrastructure we can only dream of. Would SO'D have stayed if that job was offered to him? Would Penney? Would any manager who wasn't born and bred DRFC, and even then most would probably take it. Give credit where it's due, Saunders did a terrific job here and he has the league table to back him up - Wolves wouldn't have come knocking otherwise. It's common sense. Tells you a lot about some of our fans that petty point-scoring is more important than getting behind the club and manager even when we're doing well.

He should have stayed. His trigger happy chairman will soon get rid of him because he hasn't got a clue how to play football in the Championship.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 07, 2013, 05:26:52 pm by MachoMadness »
That's true Spud, but that's the same with every walk of life. So much is dependent on good PR and public image that you pretty much have to say the same generic, tried and tested things to avoid causing offence and generally pissing a few people off. Imagine if he walked in and said "to be honest, we're 18th in the table cos we're cack and I'm only here for the pay rise". He has to get the fans onside so it's all about a big club, passionate fans, ambitious, play-offs and this and that. All managers say the same things, apart from the mental ones like Di Canio.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 07, 2013, 05:45:06 pm by steve@dcfd »
Dean will do his best to motivate the players at Wolves. They have won 1 in the last 16. In his words today a new face, will lift the players, quality players so they need pointing in the right direction to get out of the habit of losing. October 2011 and January 2013 same words different club.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 07, 2013, 06:18:21 pm by Spud »
(quote function doesn't work on my phone Macho)
But there's a difference in the Deano's quote and "i'm only here for the money"
If he said "yeah we're 18th cos we're cack, we'll have a look what's wrong and deal with it. A club this size should be at least in the play-offs come May" then as a supporter i'd respect him much more. To just rock up and claim they'll be there anyway is just cheap talk, do supporters buy that?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 07, 2013, 06:29:23 pm by MachoMadness »
(quote function doesn't work on my phone Macho)
But there's a difference in the Deano's quote and "i'm only here for the money"
If he said "yeah we're 18th cos we're cack, we'll have a look what's wrong and deal with it. A club this size should be at least in the play-offs come May" then as a supporter i'd respect him much more. To just rock up and claim they'll be there anyway is just cheap talk, do supporters buy that?

I don't know if they do or not, you are right of course but I don't see what else he could do. The sentiments are always the same in these situations, you've got to be optimistic or fans will be wondering what he's been appointed for. Cliches annoy everyone, but I guarantee you our next manager will say the exact same things. It's just a part of modern life, where everything is analysed by everyone - so say something bland and safe that people can't pick apart.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 07, 2013, 06:32:02 pm by IDM »
OK I can get there is/will be loads on this forum about the whys and wherefores of Saunders' departure, and his potential successor over the next few days and weeks.

But what does it matter what DS does or says at Wolves?  He's gone, lets move on...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 07, 2013, 06:35:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Macho

Ignore them for f**ks sake. A pair of self-important fools who wouldn't change their mind if Saunders win the European Cup with Frickley Athletic, found the cure for cancer and arranged for Virginie Ledoyen to give all Rovers fans a blow job at half time.

There are people in this world who make up their minds and are then impervious to any subsequent evidential fact or argument.

Donnybob and Mad Mick decided 15 months ago that Saunders was a Kitson, so a Kitson he shall remain in their eyes.

Pointless arguing with them.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 07, 2013, 06:39:18 pm by MachoMadness »
To be fair, I wasn't really talking to those two, just responding to Spud who is one of the decent ones. I could try and engage Mick in conversation but decided to try smashing my head in the car door instead.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 07, 2013, 07:39:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Macho

I was replying to your 17:14 post.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 07, 2013, 07:46:23 pm by not on facebook »
wrong or right ,thick or daft clever or not football is all
about opinions

learn to live with it

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 08, 2013, 01:22:43 am by RobTheRover »
Some strange comments here attributed to Saunders.

I actually listened to his press conference on Talksport (I just happened to be driving when it came on,  not like I'm a Saunders fanboy/stalker or owt) and he was asked if Wolves are in a false position. His reply was no,  they aren't. He has to hit the ground running and turn things round quickly.

To be honest,  I think he nailed that one.

He also said Doncaster Rovers is a great club and it was a tough decision to leave. He goes with my blessing,  anyway. Not the best manager we ever had,  far from it in fact,  but honest in his approach and showed a keen eye for assembling a decent squad.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 08, 2013, 01:34:29 am by Mr1Croft »
As others have stated, I'm not really that fussed what he says now he has gone. I'm not saying that because he has 'left us in the lurch' as some of us have put it, but because simply put; he is manager of a different club and we have enough to focus on here for now.

When he took over I remember his first press conference because he said the things we wanted to hear such as "I want the team to play not that different to what has already been on show here, but scoring more and conceding less" and making references that we should play more like his former club Liverpool.

At the supporters club AGM, again he said the right things about what needed to be done this year and said he was in the market for players that will put their heads through a brick wall for the team, and looking at Ian Hume and Rob Jones and he duly delivered. He also made me laugh that day too when he was joking about his time as Wales assistant manager and the boss then said "why not play without a striker and go at em from all angles" and Dean rubbished it only to see Spain win the Euro's this year playing that tactic.

He doesn't go to Wolves with any luck wished from me, purely because I hope to see us travel to Molyneux next season. But he does go with my thanks. Last season was a horrid one to endure and why it wasn't solely his fault as the manager he had to take some of the responsibility and admittedly he did and he also promised to rectify that and I am sure if he stayed he would have done that. He has built a new Doncaster Rovers and hopefully the foundation is now in place for us to continue building and restart what is hopefully a very long climb on the Doncaster Rovers roller-coaster.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 08, 2013, 08:27:38 am by Wellred »
Why so surprised Frosty?

We've simply allowed you to indulge in your illusion that he's loyal, honourable, Rovers through and through, that he talks great sense and plays wonderful, attractive, attack minded football and the bubble will never burst.

You might find a few more returning to the circus now the chief clown's left the ring.

4 posts this season before Yesterday Bob?

You are correct about returning to the circus however. The biggest clown on this forum has reappeared. Welcome back Bozo. We await more drivel and slapstick comments from you.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012