Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:27:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saunders - Should he have stayed?  (Read 7394 times)

RoveronM18

• Forum Member
Saunders - Should he have stayed?
« on January 07, 2013, 07:44:06 pm by RoveronM18 »
Deano says that Wolves was too good to turn down here and the difference in the size of the two clubs is marked.

But should he have given us a little more loyalty? We stuck by him last season after a pretty turgid second half of the season last year and then he jumps at the first chance. Hmmm. We could be playing them next year. Can't make my mind up?

http://www.southyorkshirefootballnews.co.uk/index.php/saunders-wolves-chance-was-too-good-to-turn-down/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Re: Saunders - Should he have stayed?
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2013, 07:45:24 pm by mjdgreg »
Of course he should have stayed. He is the most disloyal manager out there.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2013, 07:48:31 pm by MrFrost »

How loyal was SOD to Crawley? Couldn't get out of there quick enough.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2013, 07:52:24 pm by MachoMadness »
Well, I am disappointed that he went, considering we did show faith in him and have backed him to the hilt, but also understand they are a massive club and have probably quintupled his wage and transfer budget. It is an unbelievable oppourtunity for a bloke who was managing in the Conference 18 months ago, and I think a bloke like Deano needs to test himself at the highest level he possibly can. I don't think there's a manager in the country who'd stay here if Wolves came calling.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2013, 07:56:02 pm by wilts rover »
Deano says that Wolves was too good to turn down here and the difference in the size of the two clubs is marked.

But should he have given us a little more loyalty? We stuck by him last season after a pretty turgid second half of the season last year and then he jumps at the first chance. Hmmm. We could be playing them next year. Can't make my mind up?

http://www.southyorkshirefootballnews.co.uk/index.php/saunders-wolves-chance-was-too-good-to-turn-down/

Whose this we who stuck by him then? Many posters on this board were critising and crucifing him until early December and as for the other boards.... If you mean John Ryan then he has said he goes with the clubs blessing. Tell you what, if nothing else his leaving has made this board a lot more interesting and entertaining than it has been for nearly 3 years.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2013, 08:03:36 pm by IDM »

b*llocks...

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2013, 08:07:52 pm by phil o sophical »
Its hardly rocket science that most people want to better themselfs in whatever walk of life. The manager,players, backroom staff etc are all employees of DRFC, they are not fans. As soon as Dean agreed to talk to Wolves i was hoping he would take the job because the last thing we need is another freefall like we had after SOD turned down Sheff Utd with players wondering how committed to the cause the manager actually is

He's history now, onward and upward

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2013, 08:08:18 pm by FuzzyDuck »
A Big differente between SOD at Crawley and Deano is that SOD's opportunity came up before he'd even started the season.  Not one game played.  Yes, it left Crawley in the lurch (if you call having a director of football of the quality of Steve Coppell, who, had the worst come to the worst could have managed them on a caretaker basis).

I'd argue that leaving Rovers where Deano has left us is far more potentially damaging.

That said, I'm don't blame Deano.  I think he'll regret the decision, but I don't blame him.  It's football.  By and large, the chairmen treat managers like sh1t when it comes down to it.  Few are given adequate chance to achieve what they would like to achieve.  So can we really blame them for taking a better paid, more attractive job when one comes along?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2013, 08:14:06 pm by bedale rover »

How loyal was SOD to Crawley? Couldn't get out of there quick enough.

He didn't apply for for the forest job they headhunted him
So Crawley allowed him to go for it
To some extent similar to DS

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2013, 08:22:57 pm by drfcsteve »
When he came he said he was going to keep us up, he failed miserably and it wouldn't have been harsh if we'd have got rid then, but JR showed faith (or couldn't afford to sack him given the length of his contract) and he got another chance.

Now this season he's definitely shown he can pick a player out and assemble a good team at this level. The football hasn't been good and the quality of the opposition has been poor, but the team Dean assembled has got itself to joint top. What I would have liked to have seen is Dean redeem himself by getting us back up, which I think he would have done, and then try and prove himself again in the Championship with a team of his players and not every Tom dick and Harry McKay wanted to sign.

If I was JR I would be annoyed he's decided to jump ship at the first opportunity, but at the same time I think we need someone who can manage in the Championship and hopefully the compensation money will allows us to get someone decent in.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2013, 08:28:34 pm by dickos1 »
All managers are disloyal if your classing leaving a smaller club for a massive club disloyal.
Ferguson did it,, is he disloyal??

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2013, 08:34:24 pm by MachoMadness »
No loyalty in football. Either as a player or a manager, it's a career that can end at any time. If Dean had resigned and then tried to sue us, ie Lambert, then I could understand calling him disloyal. As it is, he's just an ambitious manager. It's sad that some are using his departure to make "I told you so" posts having a pop at him, as if this in any way affects what he's done for us this season.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2013, 09:44:26 pm by Capmeister »
Football is a results business. Saunders has done what most of us would do. He took the better offer. His stats record will show average.  History will consign him to the "What if?" group of managers. Will I miss him. No. Cynically speaking he left at the right time. Top of the tree. Good oluck pal. I hope you do well at Wolves. My gut says you'll bomb. Time will tell. SOD's principles cost him in the end. Only the fans and folk like Ryan are ever truly loyal though.

RoveronM18

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 08, 2013, 08:11:49 pm by RoveronM18 »
Good debate lads.

But with the increase in wages and move to a massive club that obviously ups the stakes. If Wolves are mid-table by Christmas next year he'll be out of a job. If we were mid-table in League One next year I think he'd still have been in a job. That's a risk!

Plus, with that in mind, why didn't he want to see the job through?

I hope he does well at Wolves, but don't think it's the best move for him.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 08, 2013, 08:28:25 pm by drfcsteve »
I don't think it's a very intelligent move. He could be sacked before the end of the season at Wolves if they have a poor run, whereas with us if we went up (highly likely) he would have been given time to prove whether he could manage in the Championship.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 08, 2013, 08:44:25 pm by dickos1 »
No, not intelligent moving to one of the biggest clubs in the country, with millions in the bank, massive gates, great history, premier league players, not intelligent at all

Jeremy In The Pickle

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 08, 2013, 08:54:08 pm by Jeremy In The Pickle »
Saunders taking home 10k a week compared to 2.5k with us. So its pretty much a no brainer. Who in there right mind would turn down there wage packet x4

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 08, 2013, 09:00:41 pm by keepmoatman »
Saunders taking home 10k a week compared to 2.5k with us. So its pretty much a no brainer. Who in there right mind would turn down there wage packet x4

Have you been looking at his payslips, Newby

Jeremy In The Pickle

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 08, 2013, 09:05:49 pm by Jeremy In The Pickle »
Sorry i forgot you were the keepmoat man  :facepalm:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2013, 09:10:19 pm by wilts rover »

Hiya Mark/Owen/Keith/Steve/Sven/Bryan, nice to see you on the board, good luck at the interview and pay negotiations.....

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2013, 09:27:49 pm by FuzzyDuck »
As I've said, I think it's a move he could well end up regretting. It could also be the move that makes him as a manager in the game.  That's the gamble that's the gamble he's taken.

My opinion of him is that he is not yet a championship manager.  Here, he was able to get the team working very well indeed away from home, but not consistently at home where excepting Brentford (who played us off the park), the highest placed team we've beaten are Oldham in 19th.

So, he developed tactics that are great for playing away but didn't manage to find anything that worked consistently at home.  I don't think that's good enough for the championship.

Now look at how we defend away from home.  We don't win by limiting our opponents shooting opportunities.  In fact, our opponents generally get more shots off that we do away from home.  Our defenders and 'keeper get something in the way of shots and try to keep the opposition from getti g in our area.  Doing that, we have reduced the oppositions shooting efficiency to something like 5%.  Our shooting efficiency is up at 25%. 

That works in league 1, but will it work in the championship where we know the strikers are much better?

So sadly, I don't think Deano will be able to get the success he needs to avoid being fired by this time next year.

Now, had he stayed with us, I am sure he would win a promotion if not a championship.  So that would be something for his CV.  The merry-go-round would be off again at the end of the season and he would attract attention, so he could make his move then.

Alternatively, he could go into the championship season with us.  Everyone would be tipping our relegation so the pressure to succeed would be minimal.  If we struggle (as expected) he can still bale citing lack of resources as a problem, which everyone knows is true.  He's lost very little.

Fail at Wolves, with all their resources and it looks far worse.

So perhaps not such an intelligent move.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2013, 09:34:43 pm by dickos1 »
Saunders himself has said he had to identify a way of winning games in league one and his recruitment demonstrated this.
He also said in the league above he would have to change the way we play again and recruit different types of players

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 08, 2013, 09:39:05 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Never actually done it though has he?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2013, 09:41:59 pm by MachoMadness »
People are all assuming he will fail at Wolves, though. The risk is greater, but so is the reward. Suppose he puts together a miracle run and sends Wolves to the play-offs this season or next? Suppose he is just what Wolves need (and tbh it sounds like he is) and they never look back under him?

I fail to see how increasing the risk is considered a bad move when you also increase the reward many more times.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 08, 2013, 09:43:14 pm by mutleyrover »
Had he stayed a little longer he may have been a strong candidate for the Villa job.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 08, 2013, 09:43:54 pm by dickos1 »
Never actually done it though has he?

He's never been given the opportunity to build his own team in the championship

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 08, 2013, 09:45:41 pm by MachoMadness »
Had he stayed a little longer he may have been a strong candidate for the Villa job.

This is a good point, although to be fair, if he only wanted to stay because he had his eye on another job that he was expecting to open up, I wouldn't want him here anyway. Definitely looks like Lambert's days are numbered though.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 08, 2013, 09:47:17 pm by donnievic »
Should of at least waited till tomorrow and gone for the villa job

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 08, 2013, 09:50:58 pm by normal rules »
i am confident someone somewhere has mr saunders best interests at heart. i was surpirised when he left high flying wrexham (ok they are conference i know)
but then to leave a potentially successful high flying league one club who are contenders for automatic promotion to the championship and you have to wonder if there are other things going on behind the scenes (see my other post re accelareted promotion scheme)

the funny thing is there is a possible circumstance which could see him relegated with wolves and rovers promoted.

now that would be interesting.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 08, 2013, 09:54:09 pm by Alickismyhero »
Dikos,
He was part of the regime, infact central to it, with these PL super stars, he had final say on who plays and it goes on and on.

He failed in the Championship when we were relegated but he was succeeding in the 1st div. He is still learning his trade. He may well succeed at Wolves but I doubt it personally.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012