Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:09:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: comments from the cov forum  (Read 12510 times)

intake rover

• Forum Member
comments from the cov forum
« on January 08, 2013, 10:40:56 pm by intake rover »
http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/24610-Hands-off-donny!/page4. this little old donny thing just gets better lol

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: comments from the cov forum
« Reply #1 on January 08, 2013, 10:51:38 pm by RedJ »
We're Donny Rovers, we'll do what we want! ;)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 08, 2013, 10:51:57 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/24610-Hands-off-donny!/page4. this little old donny thing just gets better lol

A club that owes £60 million and folding yes grass greener NOT!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 08, 2013, 11:11:14 pm by MrFrost »
What a set of morons.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 08, 2013, 11:14:17 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Amazing. The only place they're going with their debts is to the Conference. Then we'll see if they're still talking down to us.

I really hope we get Robins now just to piss them off.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 08, 2013, 11:17:37 pm by MrFrost »
Another set of deluded fans who for some reason think we spent 95% of our history in non league football.
Do they know who is advising them on how to negotiate the rent on their stadium. Yep - us!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:20:25 pm by MrFrost »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 08, 2013, 11:18:14 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm glad we've got them worried that little Donny might nick their bright new manager who was finally taking them upwards in a division.

If this betting lark does no other good than that, I'm still satisfied.

DancasterRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 08, 2013, 11:31:43 pm by DancasterRovers »
I know having a good manager is important, but considering what else is happening at Cov, they'd surely have much bigger things to worry about e.g seizing to exist - though if that happens I suppose they'd still be a "bigger" club than us  :headbang:

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 08, 2013, 11:32:51 pm by MachoMadness »
Nice to see "the likes of Doncaster" attitude returning. I was worried, with us being at a lower level this year, we might have seen the last of it, but no! I wish the club would start printing it on T-shirts.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2013, 11:42:18 pm by RTID75 »
The trouble is with Cov that, like may other clubs that have fallen from grace, they still think they're big. The local press and TV down here talk them up like they're still Premiership. The less said about their song that features Tottenham, Chelsea and United the better - it needs retiring as they embarrass themselves singing it these days.

With the debts they've got and the way they're being run they'll be lucky to see out another 5 years. They've been very close to the end more than once since their fall from the Premiership.

It's gone a bit quiet on the Robins front, but if he were offered the job I think he'd have more trouble deciding what to do that the Cov fans give him credit for. We're much more stable, are in a better position right now, and we haven't just lost the loan player who almost single handedly got us up the league to Ipswich!

I feel their pain at how their club is being run (Rovers fans could write books on that subject!), but like many other clubs once sitting way above us, they need to realise they're not big any more. Attitudes toward us like those on their forum, coupled with their big club mentality are why I had such a good time watching us do them 2-0 a their place at the end of last season, and why I found their subsequent relegation so bloody amusing. Learn a bit of respect, eh chaps?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 08, 2013, 11:54:15 pm by MachoMadness »
Absolutely agree RTID. Made all the more amusing that Cov haven't been a big deal in, what, over a decade? I particularly love the comment which says something similar "We (Cov) have potential, they don't". Just... what?

pubteam

« Reply #11 on January 09, 2013, 12:09:15 am by pubteam »
The fact is, most lower league teams have potential really.

Well, I suppose a few do more than others. Those with potentially massive fan bases (i.e. Sheffield United), but there are only a handful. The way football is going, it seems to me that it's getting harder and harder for small clubs to climb the leagues and overachieve.

I know Wigan did it in 2004 or whatever, but even a lot has changed since then, it's so rapid. The Championship is becoming almost like a Premiership II, in which clubs like Bristol City (probably a mid to lower second tier size club) have astronomical wage bills and STILL struggle to compete on the field.

Obviously, it's open to the odd team (like Swansea) to break through, but there is no blueprint for doing it. There's no way to say "right, now is the time, we're going to unlock all this potential and climb the leagues." If it's going to happen, things go right for you for a few successive years and you do it. I doubt there was anyone at Swansea who said in 2005: "this is the year we're going to start our ascent - Premier League in six years." It just happened - they had a few good years and they got there.

So to me, it doesn't make a difference that Cov used to be a Premier League team, or that their average attendance is a couple of thousand bigger than ours. As it stands, we have just as big a chance as them, and our chances are probably very slim. All of these ex-Premiership teams believe they belong there, and that they will eventually get back there, but the reality is, Coventry's chances are probably very similar to those of Doncaster, Tranmere, Bournemouth, Swindon etc. And the chances then are pretty slim, because it's just becoming harder and harder for most clubs to do it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:11:27 am by pubteam »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 09, 2013, 12:15:33 am by BobG »
Aye. And Wednesday are finding it tough to stay out of the relegation mire aren't they? Yet they are one of the 'bigger' clubs going into the Championship....

BobG

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 09, 2013, 12:24:09 am by silent majority »
I love that phrase they all use 'if we can sort our finances out we....'

But that's the crux of the problem, they can't and they probably won't so it makes the rest of the statement irrelevant.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 09, 2013, 12:35:13 am by Bristol Red Rover »
To the tune of Seven Nation Army:
"We're the likes of Doncaster" sang over and over and over and over and over....

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 09, 2013, 12:39:39 am by Norfolk N Chance »
so £250k profit so far.....

Baldwin JR and Watson should take over the world !

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 09, 2013, 12:45:43 am by dknward2 »
Can we have 'the likes of Doncaster put on the shirts or on the outside the stadium

I.e welcome 'from the likes of doncaster' and 'goodbye and safe journey home from the likes of Doncaster'

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 09, 2013, 08:07:27 am by Rios »
Can we have 'the likes of Doncaster put on the shirts or on the outside the stadium

I.e welcome 'from the likes of doncaster' and 'goodbye and safe journey home from the likes of Doncaster'

Unfortunately the club have never been too keen to embrace the "pub team" or "likes of Doncaster" mentality that the fans have so I doubt they'd be too keen on filling the club shop with them.  Maybe the VSC or PopStand would be a more natural home though.

Just had a look at the Cov forum (who are also returning the compliment) and it's full of the same self-important, deluded and blinkered lot that also inhabit the likes of the Forest, Leeds and Wendies forums... used to play at the top level, maybe won a trophy or too but are no longer there and haven't been for a while and now have (or had in some cases) real problems which are hindered by their fans thinking they're still playing or capable of playing in the next 20 years at the top table.

I agree with the poster above.  I was particularly non-plussed about Robins being mentioned for manager... but it'd be funny to just to watch them piss themselves at the realisation the "likes of Donny" are a far more appealing prospect than their current shambles and Robins did a really piss poor job of not ruling himself out of it on SSN last night too!

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 09, 2013, 08:21:16 am by AbsolutDRFC »
It's all relative though.

We were exactly the same to everyone else in the Conference as well.

If a club's supporters perceive it to be below it's natural level then they will think & comment like that.
Sorry to say, but some of us have short memories!

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 09, 2013, 08:28:14 am by Rios »
It's all relative though.

We were exactly the same to everyone else in the Conference as well.

If a club's supporters perceive it to be below it's natural level then they will think & comment like that.
Sorry to say, but some of us have short memories!

Some of us don't and didn't!

ArmthorpeRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 09, 2013, 08:39:16 am by ArmthorpeRover »
I love how those threads always turn into slanging off the town of whichever club is wronging them. I dare say a fair few of them will have never left their 'Beverly Hills' to see how bad it actually is for them.

Hilarious.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 09, 2013, 09:17:19 am by RTID75 »
Trust me, there's nothing 'Beverly Hills' about Coventry. Much of it is far worse than Donny. I have the misfortune to work in Cov and by and large it is a complete dump. I ventured into the city centre one Saturday for shopping at Christmas and wished I hadn't. 'Ghost Town' by The Specials is apt all over again.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 09, 2013, 09:18:52 am by DonnyOsmond »
Wasn't the Beverly Hills comment by a Coventry fans saying Doncaster is Beverly Hills compared too Coventry?

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 09, 2013, 09:30:10 am by RTID75 »
That's how I read it at first, but (without looking again) I think it's meant the other way around.

ArmthorpeRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 09, 2013, 09:39:33 am by ArmthorpeRover »
Wasn't the Beverly Hills comment by a Coventry fans saying Doncaster is Beverly Hills compared too Coventry?

No, he said Donny makes Coventry look like Beverley Hills.

'It does make Coventry look like Beverly Hills to be fair.'

Trust me, there's nothing 'Beverly Hills' about Coventry. Much of it is far worse than Donny. I have the misfortune to work in Cov and by and large it is a complete dump. I ventured into the city centre one Saturday for shopping at Christmas and wished I hadn't. 'Ghost Town' by The Specials is apt all over again.

I've lived in Nuneaton and had the misfortune of going to Coventry a few times. With my dad being in the forces when I was a kid I've had the luxury (or curse) of living in quite a few places (both good and bad) and that particular area has gotta be one of the worst I've ever been. Nearly as depressing as Middlesbrough.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:48:17 am by ArmthorpeRover »

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 09, 2013, 09:47:00 am by weststander »
I moved from Doncaster to Coventry in 1971 to work in the motor industry. I also felt that it was a bit of a dump, despite being constantly ridiculed by workmates from the city who referred to my grimy northern mining roots. Went to watch City a couple of times then playing in D1 and I realised that I had no interest in watching any team other than Rovers (and England). Moved out of the cty in 1982, never having developed any roots despite getting married and becoming a father.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 09, 2013, 09:53:46 am by coventryrover »
I lived there for thirteen years, moved to guiseley for 3 then moved back to cov.

tterly depressing place to live compared to Donny, nevermiind the oasis of the dales

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 09, 2013, 09:56:19 am by Glyn_Wigley »

"The likes of Doncaster say thanks for the three points."

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 09, 2013, 10:29:10 am by RTID75 »
We have to get a 'likes of Doncaster' chant going.

northerncasual

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 09, 2013, 11:05:33 am by northerncasual »
How are Coventry a big club , won fa cup the year before those other giants Wimbledon and always had poor crowds

TinyPortal © 2005-2012