Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:58:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: comments from the cov forum  (Read 12513 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: comments from the cov forum
« Reply #30 on January 09, 2013, 11:39:08 am by bobjimwilly »
Is it wrong that I'm finding the massive turn around in comments on the cov forum quite funny?  :lol:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 09, 2013, 11:46:56 am by nortikorner »
OUR HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR TOWN
Your getting beat by the likes of donny
your getting beat by the likes of donny

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 09, 2013, 11:47:26 am by Dutch Uncle »
It's all relative though.

We were exactly the same to everyone else in the Conference as well.

If a club's supporters perceive it to be below it's natural level then they will think & comment like that.
Sorry to say, but some of us have short memories!

Some of us don't and didn't!

Thank you Rios

Nearly all Rovers supporters were so happy just to have a club in 1998 that the Conference seemed like the promised land when we first played in it. Of course there were one or two who liked to 'big up' our past a bit, but I remember an important post by Sturdy on Confguide pouring out his soul and being thankful for the Conference. That endeared us to most conference fans, and it warmed the cockles of my heart when we reached the Championship to read the genuine good wishes on Confguide, and comparing us favourably with fans of most league teams that had dropped down there.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 09, 2013, 11:47:42 am by AbsolutDRFC »
Talking of Coventry; didn't John Ryan actually put a curse on them when they robbed us over the Betts transfer monies?
Their chairman at the time was Brian Richardson (no relation).

Funnily enough, since then, they've got worse and worse!

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 09, 2013, 12:02:40 pm by FuzzyDuck »
That threads got 203 replies.  Not that they're worried like  :whistle:

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 09, 2013, 03:43:34 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
It's all relative though.

We were exactly the same to everyone else in the Conference as well.

If a club's supporters perceive it to be below it's natural level then they will think & comment like that.
Sorry to say, but some of us have short memories!

Some of us don't and didn't!

Thank you Rios

Nearly all Rovers supporters were so happy just to have a club in 1998 that the Conference seemed like the promised land when we first played in it. Of course there were one or two who liked to 'big up' our past a bit, but I remember an important post by Sturdy on Confguide pouring out his soul and being thankful for the Conference. That endeared us to most conference fans, and it warmed the cockles of my heart when we reached the Championship to read the genuine good wishes on Confguide, and comparing us favourably with fans of most league teams that had dropped down there.

And you've hit the nail on the head...

My point being "minority"....

A few Cov fans say some disparaging comments and "we" assume all Cov fans are knuckleheads.
Not true.

A few of our fans didn't appreciate the Conference and people assumed Donny fans were all the same.
Again not true.

My point is that just because an extremely small minority do/say things, it doesn't reflect the general fan.
i.e. we are ok & so are the Cov fans; as at the end of the day we would sit with anyone in a pub/on a train etc and discuss football like normal human beings.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 09, 2013, 03:55:40 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Absolut

Fully agree with you about vociferous minorities often defining other people's impressions of the majority of fans of a club, and of course, like you, I am certain 95+ % of Coventry fans are normal, rational and great people.

I was making the point that during our time in the Conference IMHO I believe we were actually a bit of an exception. Because of the Richardson experience we were all so grateful just to be there - and Conference fans (Confguide at least) seemed to take to us since the fans of many other league clubs falling down had a rather different viewpoint of their predicament.

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #37 on January 09, 2013, 04:06:55 pm by NorthNorfolkRover »
That game we lost 2 1 with McSheffreys late header. Have we ever been more robbed in a game not including dodgy refs ?

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #38 on January 09, 2013, 04:16:02 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
in defence of Coventry, it does have two Universities, although one, Warwick, pretends to be somewhere else. they also have two closed down car factories, Peugeot and Jaguar. they have an airport which is very peaceful, unlike busy and crowded Robin Hood. they also have Lady Godiva who makes Donny Dog look decidedly rough. and as for exploits on the football field, it is nonsense to say that the only thing they have ever done is win the cup once. am i the only one to remember that fabulous free kick by Ernie Hunt a few decades ago?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 09, 2013, 04:24:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Apologies for sending this thread off topic a bit, but I remember from my time living in Germany that they have a colloquial verb 'coventrieren' meaning to destroy totally ...... for example 'es ist gecoventriert' ... it has been flattened.

Who says Germans have no sense of humour.

I call your Coventry and raze you a Dresden (ouch - see what I did there) 

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 09, 2013, 04:26:40 pm by Wellred »
I find it hilarious that some on that forum describe Coventry as being Beverly Hills when compared to Doncaster.

I can assure you that if anyone ever has the misfortune to have to stay in a hotel overnight in Coventry...........think again stay in Birmingham and travel. The place is a dump.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 09, 2013, 04:27:47 pm by River Don »
Coventry also once had an all brown away kit. Proper chocolate brown, not like that caramel effort masquerading as gold that Colchester played in.

A brave choice and one that should be admired. Cov really should embrace it fully and regularly have a brown away kit.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 09, 2013, 04:29:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Absolut

Fully agree with you about vociferous minorities often defining other people's impressions of the majority of fans of a club, and of course, like you, I am certain 95+ % of Coventry fans are normal, rational and great people.

I was making the point that during our time in the Conference IMHO I believe we were actually a bit of an exception. Because of the Richardson experience we were all so grateful just to be there - and Conference fans (Confguide at least) seemed to take to us since the fans of many other league clubs falling down had a rather different viewpoint of their predicament.

Correct Dutch! Our respectful approach to the conference was due to us being not a relegated club but a re-born one.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 09, 2013, 04:33:23 pm by Filo »
Coventry also once had an all brown away kit. Proper chocolate brown, not like that caramel effort masquerading as gold that Colchester played in.

A brave choice and one that should be admired. Cov really should embrace it fully and regularly have a brown away kit.

We had a Brown away kit in the 70`s

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 09, 2013, 04:36:40 pm by River Don »

Now there's a thing! I never knew that.

Make a note, next away kit brown and black hoops. Pretty cool!

neil grainger

« Reply #45 on January 09, 2013, 04:38:58 pm by neil grainger »

Are you sure you're not thinking of the infamous African Violet Filo?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 09, 2013, 04:49:33 pm by Sprotyrover »

Now there's a thing! I never knew that.

Yellow jersey Brown shorts and socks I recall

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 09, 2013, 04:53:56 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It'd make us look like a team of liquorice allsorts!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 09, 2013, 04:59:12 pm by idler »
We wore brown when we beat Barnsley away 1 0 about 1974.
We didn't expect to win that day. :scarf:

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 09, 2013, 05:01:00 pm by danumdon »
Just on the topic of dodgy infrastructure, has anyone else had the misfortune to travel on that orrible quirky ring road in Coventry, the on and off ramps are just about spaced wide enough from each other to get a car or two in between, talk about jerry built i built better with me maccano set as a kid.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 09, 2013, 05:06:14 pm by benaldo »
"we're a bigger club...." what a laugh.

Who care's if your football club is the biggest club known to man, if you can't pay your rent, are in league one, you've just lost your top striker, and it looks like your manager is going to crappy old donny rovers, things aren't looking too good are they?

Enjoy your HUGE support in league one (assuming the taxman doesn't rub you out of his ledger altogether), but just in the interests of facts - Coventry's average gate so far this season is 11,052............. Hardly a "huge club" by any standards (you're not even one of the top two "biggest" clubs in league one). Rovers fans don't care about any of that. Rovers are a decent club run by decent people, in a manner which won't see it prostituting itself to the inland revenue and being run on the "never never". We can only get 15,000 people into our stadium, and that suits me fine. In a world where singing competitions get your team points I bet you'll do better than drfc, but in the real world nobody cares about that. Football is changing off the pitch for the better in some respects. Donny Rovers fans are PROUD that the club is where it is, not harping on about past glories a gazillion years ago. This is a small club in a deprived area. We do what we can, and that's a noble thing in modern football. Coventry could learn a thing or two from crappy Donny Rovers.....

Yes, Doncaster ranks along with Tripoli in a "top ten horrible places to live", but the football team is honest, debt free, current joint top, and has made a huge leap forward in the last fifteen years - which almost saw us going out of existence while languishing in the bottom of the conference. No, Rovers aren't ever really going to trouble the champions league, but I'll bet any Coventry supporter that Rovers are more likely to simply EXIST in ten years than they are.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 09, 2013, 05:08:39 pm by BobG »
I remember Ernie Hunts' goal Longbridge Rover. It was right belter wasn't it? I also remember that he subsequently turned out for us as well.

And for a few others, I was once in a crowd at Highfield Road that was so damn large that the ko had to be put back back substantially. And that had serious, serious consequences too. It was a very important end of season match. The delay allowed some crucial information about another match to be flashed up on an early electronic scoreboard. And that materially, and hugely amusingly, affected the game being played. Crowd was over 37,000 that night I do believe.

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 09, 2013, 05:18:23 pm by idler »
I remember the outcry after that stunt Bob.
I think it was 1977, a hugely overspending Bristol City
went down and the other place was between Coventry,
Sunderland and somebody else. Coventry and their opponents
knew they had to play out a draw to garauntee safety. I was at
Pontins that night with a lot of sick Sunderland fans.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 09, 2013, 05:28:04 pm by BobG »
It was Sunderland who went down Idler. Any result other than a draw at Highfield Road would have saved Sunderland and sent down whoever lost at Coventry. With the score at 2-2 and about 15 minutes to go, that scoreboard announcement that Sunderland hadn't won meant that watching Cov and Bristol City was the funniest 15 minutes togger I have ever seen. Screamingly funny in fact.

BobG

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 09, 2013, 05:36:32 pm by RedJ »
OUR HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR TOWN
Your getting beat by the likes of donny
your getting beat by the likes of donny

An adaptation of "you're so shit it's unbelievable".

"You're getting beat by the likes of Doncaster!"

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 09, 2013, 05:44:36 pm by idler »
It was Sunderland who went down Idler. Any result other than a draw at Highfield Road would have saved Sunderland and sent down whoever lost at Coventry. With the score at 2-2 and about 15 minutes to go, that scoreboard announcement that Sunderland hadn't won meant that watching Cov and Bristol City was the funniest 15 minutes togger I have ever seen. Screamingly funny in fact.

BobG
Did Bolton go down with Sunderland then Bob?
I remember Bristol City giving long expensive contracts out
and then sinking like a stone. They must have gone the following
season then I think.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 09, 2013, 05:57:17 pm by roversontheup »

Who care's if your football club is the biggest club known to man, if you can't pay your rent, are in league one, you've just lost your top striker, and it looks like your manager is going to crappy old donny rovers, things aren't looking too good are they?

Enjoy your HUGE support in league one (assuming the taxman doesn't rub you out of his ledger altogether), but just in the interests of facts - Coventry's average gate so far this season is 11,052............. Hardly a "huge club" by any standards (you're not even one of the top two "biggest" clubs in league one). Rovers fans don't care about any of that. Rovers are a decent club run by decent people, in a manner which won't see it prostituting itself to the inland revenue and being run on the "never never". We can only get 15,000 people into our stadium, and that suits me fine. In a world where singing competitions get your team points I bet you'll do better than drfc, but in the real world nobody cares about that. Football is changing off the pitch for the better in some respects. Donny Rovers fans are PROUD that the club is where it is, not harping on about past glories a gazillion years ago. This is a small club in a deprived area. We do what we can, and that's a noble thing in modern football. Coventry could learn a thing or two from crappy Donny Rovers.....

Yes, Doncaster ranks along with Tripoli in a "top ten horrible places to live", but the football team is honest, debt free, current joint top, and has made a huge leap forward in the last fifteen years - which almost saw us going out of existence while languishing in the bottom of the conference. No, Rovers aren't ever really going to trouble the champions league, but I'll bet any Coventry supporter that Rovers are more likely to simply EXIST in ten years than they are.
brilliant post!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 09, 2013, 06:54:13 pm by hoolahoop »

brilliant post!

+1 oh and btw apparently WE haven't got any money according to Cov fans.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 09, 2013, 07:05:35 pm by MachoMadness »
Don't tell them we've got the 3rd biggest wage budget in the league then, let them have their delusions of grandeur.

I'm sorry, but at least with Leeds fans they have understandable delusions of grandeur. They were one of the top clubs in England a decade ago, I can understand why people might cling to that. Cov haven't been anywhere near that level in decades, certainly not in my lifetime. There's generations of Cov fans who know nowt but mid-table obscurity in the second tier. If we ever make it to the PL, I dread to think that we'll have a generation of fans who latch onto us and have this arrogant sense of entitlement.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 09, 2013, 07:11:50 pm by hoolahoop »
Seems our 'pubteam' merits 25+ pages on the Cov. forum and only 2 here . Kinda puts it into perspective really.  :lol:  :rtid:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012