Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:42:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Anyone else noticed that Pompey....  (Read 3764 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Anyone else noticed that Pompey....
« on January 08, 2013, 11:47:27 pm by BobG »
seem to be about to release ALL their senior players? According to teletext the administrator is not going to renew their contracts when they come up in a couple of weeks time. That'll be fun for them won't it?

Anybody down there we might fancy?!

BobG

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Re: Anyone else noticed that Pompey....
« Reply #1 on January 08, 2013, 11:49:52 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
seem to be about to release ALL their senior players? According to teletext the administrator is not going to renew their contracts when they come up in a couple of weeks time. That'll be fun for them won't it?

BobG

Dumbaya and get Sod on consultation basis to lead him how to defend!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 08, 2013, 11:55:18 pm by MachoMadness »
That's the thing, we don't know who we'll fancy until the new manager gets in! Mind you, the run they've been on, who'd want them?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 08, 2013, 11:57:06 pm by Mr1Croft »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 09, 2013, 12:10:03 am by silent majority »
BobG,

Teletext??

I was going to post the link to the story earlier, but over the last few months there has been little sympathy for Portsmouth and its fans.

You see, I know a lot of these people personally, they've been loyal servants to the FSF for years,  and I spent a couple of days during the summer with the leader of the Pompey Trust who are trying to save their club. For all those who remember the dark days this club went through during the Richardson years then we should have sympathy, we should remember just how bad it was for us, and recognise that this once great club is facing very similar and trying times.

This week a member of the Pompey Trust is halfway through walking to the 92 clubs in the English leagues, he's not doing it for himself, he's not doing it for Pompey, he's doing it for the battle against cancer and his target is £92k! At difficult times like this his thoughts are with people suffering with cancer, what a tremendous achievement, one to be proud of. And I'm just glad that the VSC are doing their bit again to help Scott in his challenge.

Leave the prejudice aside, recognise that the Pompey fans deserve their club just like we did, help them where you can.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 09, 2013, 12:13:32 am by BobG »
I'm sorry SM. I wasn't trying to gloat or glorify it. I've just re-read what i wrote. it could have been phrased better. I apologise. I, for one, ought to know what the Pompey supporters are going through. I've got history enough there.

Losing all their senior players and a points deduction still to come, it's League 2 for them now. First time I ever saw them was in that league. Plus ca change....

Bob

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 09, 2013, 12:19:19 am by silent majority »
No need to apologise Bob, only the first 3 lines of my post were meant for your consumption, the rest was aimed at some of the general Rovers public who tend to be unsympathetic to Pompey every time this subject appears on here. I should have made that clearer.

They are in terrible straights, it has to stop for them at some point, we just don't know where that point is.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:24:48 am by silent majority »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 09, 2013, 12:24:01 am by dknward2 »
Hope for the fans sake something can be done they may have to slip into league two first then build back up from there

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 09, 2013, 12:27:50 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Bob G why do you end your posts with Bob G?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 09, 2013, 12:43:04 am by BobG »
Cos I've signed myself that way for aeons. I do it with almost everything. And I'm old fashioned. If I write something, I want to attach my name to it. Whether it's good or bad it's mine.

BobG

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 09, 2013, 01:10:40 am by RedJ »
I know it's a horrible route to go down, but they may be better off reforming the club. A club that size would shoot up through the non-leagues. In theory, at least. But at least they'd be through with looking over their shoulders constantly with a weight gone from around their necks.

Not the nicest option, but maybe for the best.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 09, 2013, 01:12:55 am by silent majority »
But they will, as soon as the trust get control of the club.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 09, 2013, 03:07:39 am by RoversAlias »
What i want to know,is what happened to the fit and proper persons act that the FA are supposed to run,for me they deserve some of the blame,i feel for the fans,a massive club that's been run into the ground.

They deserve a large portion of the blame for this yes. It has been allowed to run and run and become more and more of a shambles.

I don't hold sympathy for the club as an entity at all. I want them to go down with a points deduction and losing every game because they can't afford to have senior professionals on the squad books. I hope the fans can salvage the club and rebuild from the bottom but many people involved with Portsmouth FC have allowed this to happen and it will have to get worse before it gets better I'm afraid.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 09, 2013, 05:46:41 am by Mr1Croft »
Its just another prime example of why the benefactor model is going to ruin this countries greatest competitive sport before everyone finally realizes that the likes of Barcelona, Germany, FC United and AFC Wimbledon have been doing things properly.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 09, 2013, 09:41:20 am by colincramb »
I know we are all football fans on here but let's not forget the enormous amount of small companies that are owed thousands from Portsmouth for work they have done in good faith, which is now threatening them with liquidation! I'm not talking about faceless multinational corporations here either, but self employed tradesman for example. It's just football at the end of the day, these other people have families to look after! I know this isn't the supporters fault but not enough thought is given to them.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 09, 2013, 07:10:09 pm by The Red Baron »

BobG

Presumably if the Trust wins their court case over the purchase of the ground then some, if not all, of the players will be offered new deals. If they lose the case, it will be finito for them.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 09, 2013, 07:14:23 pm by RedJ »
Have a look at this.

[attachment deleted by cleanup process]

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 09, 2013, 07:27:50 pm by hoolahoop »

BobG

Presumably if the Trust wins their court case over the purchase of the ground then some, if not all, of the players will be offered new deals. If they lose the case, it will be finito for them.

I think that would be the best for them RB and should have been the course taken some time ago imo.
Agreed that no-one should gloat over these circumstances but surely this has dragged on for far too long. Time the supporters knew just what is ahead for them and can kick on from there , Rangers seem to be coping with it admirably.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 09, 2013, 07:28:58 pm by hoolahoop »
Have a look at this.

Presume that's been taken off a Saints site Red ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 09, 2013, 07:30:21 pm by RedJ »
My mate sent me it not long ago so I'm not sure, wouldn't be too surprised though.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 09, 2013, 07:45:34 pm by silent majority »
I'm having dinner with a member of the Pompey Trust tonight, I'll see if I can get an update from him.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 09, 2013, 08:26:33 pm by benaldo »
I hope a club like Portsmouth (not saying I specifically WANT Portsmouth to go down the toilet you understand) gets wound up. Only when this happens to a fairly well supported club will the powers that be actually do something to change the rotten financial workings of english football.

If a horror of a club like Pompey stays alive while sinking local businesses, in its struggle to just provide entertainment (because, let's face it, footy is just entertainment, it's not like it saves lives or is treating cancer patients), again and again, no-one will have learned anything. I suppose it's like a repeat car thief being let off after re-offending 5 times. It doesn't teach anyone anything, nor does it help anyone else or set an example.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 09, 2013, 08:30:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Only when this happens to a fairly well supported club will the powers that be actually do something to change the rotten financial workings of english football.

Talk about naive. They'll do no such thing.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 09, 2013, 09:43:37 pm by BigH »
I don't think there's too much of a comparison with our situation all those years ago. We were owned by a prize t**t intent on stripping the club of its ground so he could flog it off to the highest bidder. Our situation was an embarrassment to the footballing authorities and, frankly, no one wanted to help. We were saved by JR. The rest is history.

Portsmouth on the other hand is an example of footballing greed and gross mismanagement. A club that won the FA cup 5 - yes 5 - years ago that had riches that clubs like ours could only dream of but squandered it. 'Brewsters Millions' brought to real life. And still they went on cheating, recruiting players last season on £20k a week that they couldn't pay for. A series of flaky owners, on an ego trip, promised to restore the club's premiership fortunes until they realised that running a football club is harder than it looks. And yet the fans lapped it up.

Sure, I feel sorry for the fans and they way that they've been let down. But not too sorry because many of these same fans were at Wembley five years ago and they're the same fans who cheered the names signed last year - including the ginger one. Why didn't they intervene when the party was in full swing? Because everyone was having a good time, but it's over now. Big time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:55:38 pm by BigH »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012