Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:39:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is David Cotterill...  (Read 5340 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Is David Cotterill...
« on January 09, 2013, 12:38:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
...the most technically adept striker of a ball that we have ever had?

Our kid suggested this the other day. My immediate reaction was "Ba-baa! Alan Little and Glyn Snodin gave the impression that the ball was from Barnsley and had been caught red-handed committing the Sin of Onan over their sleeping grannies, such was the cold-blooded intensity of their foot-to-ball connection.

Then I got to thinking that he might well be right. The last two home wins have been sealed by shots of near-perfection by Cotterill.

The goal against Colchester in particular was absolutely sublime. I've only just had chance to watch it on video and it was far, far better than it seemed on the day. Apart from the pace, control, dribbling round a defender, making space inside the box and vision to spot the opportunity, the finish was quite superb. I'm struggling to think what more you could ever expect to see at this level, or at the one above come to that. I don't think we have ever had a player in my lifetime who could combine all of those attributes in one. And I can think of very few who would have been able to make that finish with such power and precision at the end of such a run.

And THAT comes on top of the utterly clinical, perfectly placed set-pieces from ridiculous positions against Preston and Oldham.

We might be witnessing one of the finest technical players ever to pull on the hoops. And I fear he might be on his way to Molineux very soon...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: Is David Cotterill...
« Reply #1 on January 09, 2013, 12:46:13 pm by The L J Monk »
In terms of "technical" players at Rovers, the best two I've seen are Tierney and Diouf. However Cotterrill's goal record, especially considering he plays on the wing, is extremely impressive.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 09, 2013, 12:46:50 pm by River Don »
He just might be.

Another one worth a mention I think, even though we were playing at a level lower was Colin Cramb.

He had the composure in a one on one finish that few players I have seen at the Rovers have had. When the position opened itself up for him you just knew the goal was inevitable.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 09, 2013, 12:50:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
In terms of "technical" players at Rovers, the best two I've seen are Tierney and Diouf. However Cotterrill's goal record, especially considering he plays on the wing, is extremely impressive.

LJ

It's not just the number of goals. It is the style of them. Pretty much everyone has been a perfectly placed strike. Most of them from positions ranging from difficult to outlandish. 5-6 of the goals he's scored this season are the sort which would be worth talking about in several years time.

I've never seen a Rovers player with the ability to do that so consistently. We now take it so much for granted that when he scores a quite exquisite goal like the one on Saturday, a goal of near technical perfection, it barely merits a mention.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 09, 2013, 12:50:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RD.

That goal of Cramb's against Stockport in the Cup was a work of genius.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 09, 2013, 12:53:03 pm by MachoMadness »
Can't disagree with that. We've had players who can hit a sweet shot, Mulligan springs to mind, but Cotterill is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else in terms of consistency in all areas of his game. Where would we be without him?

His goal on Saturday was a sublime effort, but was overshadowed by events that followed. He could have a goal of the season competition all to himself though and still have some sublime efforts left over.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 09, 2013, 12:54:01 pm by Dutch Uncle »
IMHO the most technically gifted striker of a ball I have seen playing for Rovers is just simply Alick, and I had always put Glyn second until recently, with Neil Redfearn third. Cotterill is certainly up there BST, and if he can keep doing it a little longer till those last nagging doubts of him being 'on a good run', or 'a bit lucky with that one' have been totally banished then he might indeed become the best.

As long as he doesn't disappear to Wolves that is.............   

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 09, 2013, 12:54:22 pm by GazLaz »
He is technically head and shoulders above anything in this league. Jose Baxter os the closest I've seen this season. On the flip side he is awful in a few other aspects of the game. I bet he looks amazing in training. He has no work ethic at all in matches, no sense of danger and no battle in him at all. That's why he's playing at this level though.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 09, 2013, 12:56:09 pm by moses »
River Don - You are right on Colin Cramb,.
That Stockport Goal where he seemed to beat players backwards and forwards and everyone knew he was going to score.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 09, 2013, 01:00:45 pm by The L J Monk »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDU3LMjrcE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDU3LMjrcE</a>

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 09, 2013, 01:02:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
His goals for us this season puts him in the Alick Jeffrey bracket.

The most important player we've got. Who else could have scored the goals he's got for us this season?

He's a cut above the rest of this league, and I believe without him we'd be lower mid table.

I fear he will soon be gone.......

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 09, 2013, 01:05:04 pm by GazLaz »
If we've learnt anything from Cotterill and Cranbs goals it's to stay on your feet when defending!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 09, 2013, 01:09:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That's the one LJ.

Even at the time, I had to feel sorry for that defender. He'd just sprinted 70 yards like an express train and launched himself into a Hong Kong Phooey stylee block, thinking, "I've done it! I've made it! What a hero to my team!"

Then he ended up sliding into Wilmslow as Cramb just pulled the ball back and rolled it into the net.

Genius.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 09, 2013, 01:11:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I swear I jumped so high after that Cramb goal went in, I could have grabbed hold of an Airbus on final approach to Manchester.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 09, 2013, 01:21:20 pm by Alonzo Drake »
Of course, Alick Jeffrey was the most technically gifted Rovers player -- we had quite a few in Doherty's era in the 50s too, but there's few on here who can recall the 50s players. In fact Doherty himself possessed amazing skill and vision. One player really impressed me as a kid, and his skills were far above D4 level. His name was Chris Rabjohn, a ball playing midfielder who played over 150 games for us in the late 60s early 70s. He's in this photograph of the 68/69 D4 Champions, stood just to the left of goalie John Ogston

[attachment deleted by cleanup process]

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 09, 2013, 01:23:57 pm by Donnybax »
The way he strikes a ball is brilliant the curve he gets with the outside of foot by cutting across the ball but still gets the power is such a hard technique but he's done it a fair few times. Like Colchester away and brentford at home

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 09, 2013, 01:56:30 pm by MR A-Z »
Always thought Wellens had brilliant technique, can remember a game against Coventry I think it was in the first season we were in the championship and stock floated a corner over and Wellens volleyed it into the top corner only to be denied by a top drawer save. His passing was always immaculate also. 

Joeking

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 09, 2013, 02:05:28 pm by Joeking »
Of course, Alick Jeffrey was the most technically gifted Rovers player -- we had quite a few in Doherty's era in the 50s too, but there's few on here who can recall the 50s players. In fact Doherty himself possessed amazing skill and vision. One player really impressed me as a kid, and his skills were far above D4 level. His name was Chris Rabjohn, a ball playing midfielder who played over 150 games for us in the late 60s early 70s. He's in this photograph of the 68/69 D4 Champions, stood just to the left of goalie John Ogston

Yep Chris Rabjohn was an excellent player, had a great shot on him too, a player very much in the same mould as Brian Stock IMO.
The two who came with him from Rotherham, Harold Wilcockson and Colin Clish, were great players too. Their debut match was my first Rovers game, a 2-0 victory over Brentford with Alan Warboys scoring one of them IIRC.
I was well and truly hooked after that.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 09, 2013, 02:19:26 pm by SkellowRover »
Been a supporter since 79' and in all that time i've never seen anyone at the club strike a ball like Glynn Snodin used to at free kicks.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 09, 2013, 02:41:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wilcockson, Clish and Rabjohn in exchange for Graham Watson and Dennis Leigh. What a deal for us that was!

The then Rotherham manager Tommy Docherty struck the deal.

Former Rovers legend Laurie Sheffield claimed that Docherty was the worst manager he'd ever played for, and the above deal suggests his claim can't have been far off the mark.

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 09, 2013, 03:00:30 pm by colin cramb »
Rigoglioso

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 09, 2013, 03:09:59 pm by Mike_F »
Cramb is one of my all-time heroes but I donf't remember him being as quick as that. Brilliant goal and I agree with comments earlier that you just knew he was going to score when he got into a bit of space.

The 30-yarder that left Mark Samways flailing at Glanford Park was my favourite. As soon as he got near the ball I thought "He's going to shoot here. And he WILL score." Brilliant goal.

Cotts is certainly right up there with anyone I've seen. Wellens was technically fantastic, easily the best I've witnessed in the hoops but Cotterill is a sublime finisher.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 09, 2013, 03:13:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
To answer the question the most technical striker of a ball then I would say on a par with Glynn Snodin, but he makes it look easier when taking a shot.
This is not saying he is the most technically gifted player we have had, but striking a ball with ease when shooting he is definitely up there.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 09, 2013, 03:19:59 pm by dickos1 »
Tim Ryan could strike a ball, I can remember the one at Cambridge but think he scored a few more screamers too

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 09, 2013, 03:37:24 pm by NickDRFC »
Tim Ryan could strike a ball, I can remember the one at Cambridge but think he scored a few more screamers too

He certainly did score a few more screamers, you don't earn the nickname SHOOOOOOOOOOT for nothing!

I remember being in Cologne for England Sweden in 2006 and shouting that at him whilst he was staggering around topless. Think he was too drunk to hear me.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 09, 2013, 04:19:12 pm by Chris Black come back »

He certainly did score a few more screamers, you don't earn the nickname SHOOOOOOOOOOT for nothing!

I remember being in Cologne for England Sweden in 2006 and shouting that at him whilst he was staggering around topless. Think he was too drunk to hear me.

More of this story needs to be told!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 09, 2013, 04:42:03 pm by donnievic »
Remember Colin cramb scoring a beauty at Scarborough

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 09, 2013, 05:33:16 pm by wilts rover »
Another couple of potentials, although only loan players, are Kieran Brady and Tony Woodcock, both seemed in a different team to the others, whilst Steve Nicol was similarly gited if not as technical.

If Cotterill could only run and tackle then he would certainly be in the PL.

Uhtred

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 09, 2013, 05:54:39 pm by Uhtred »
 :thumbsup: ITS NOT JUST THE GOALS HE SCORES. SATURDAYS EFFORT WAS A SERIOUS CONTENDER FOR L 1 GOAL OF THE SEASON. BUT, WOULD ANY OF OUR STATISTICIANS PUT A NUMBER TO THE DEAD BALL DELIVERIES FROM COTTERILL THAT HAVE RESULTED IN GOALS.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 09, 2013, 05:56:45 pm by donnievic »
Would also say Keiran Brady and Neil Redfearn

TinyPortal © 2005-2012