Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:10:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oxford united game  (Read 9895 times)

RedRover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oxford united game
« Reply #60 on January 01, 2020, 05:13:17 pm by RedRover »
Get in there... excellent win against a very, very good Oxford side. Brilliant defending.

And the award for most archetypal Doncaster Rovers supporter of the day goes to PDX Rover. When is scraping a win, at home by being thoroughly outplayed all along while having to watch our defence largely and hopefully lump it up to a big man an "excellent win"? Assuming you actually went, are you pleased you paid money to see that performance?

When we lose the next game it'll no doubt be the refs fault too eh PDX Rover?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:54:09 pm by RedRover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 01, 2020, 05:18:02 pm by swintonrover »
I'd term an excellent win as winning a game you weren't expecting to, regardless of performance. That was an excellent win.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 01, 2020, 05:19:02 pm by dickos1 »
Of course it was a very good win.
I enjoyed today, winning games isn’t all about playing nice attractive football
I thought we were great today against a very good side

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 01, 2020, 05:19:39 pm by Canadian Rover »
We also had several good break always. Max was taken down on the edge of the box, Taylor broke well from an Ennis turn. Copps put a peach of ball into the back post too.

I thought the defending was superb and all good teams have to do that to win games. Leicester did it to win the league!!! As did the Rovers under Saunders/Flynn.

Honestly...I'm amazed by how fans just sometimes can't be happy.

If people get no pleasure from our club winning and keeping a clean sheet against an excellent side then why bother watching...go to the cinema and write a blog about how the director and plots in films let you down and that the lighting wasn't good. For me a win is a win and should be celebrated!!!

Well done Darren and the players! Happy New Year!!!!! Be happy!!

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 01, 2020, 05:19:43 pm by 5 on Tour »
Red Rover why on earth are you looking for the negative in a win? Yes we had lots of defending to do but haven’t plenty of successful teams worked from the philosophy of conceding 0 goals. Italy for example won a couple of world cups by doing it. Is it going to work for us every week? No. Did it work today? Yes. So let’s enjoy it.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 01, 2020, 05:22:48 pm by jackthelad »
That is a brilliant win.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 01, 2020, 05:24:44 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Get in there... excellent win against a very, very good Oxford side. Brilliant defending.

And the award for most archetypal Doncaster Rovers supporter of the day goes to PDX Rover. When is scraping a win, at home by being thoroughly outplayed all along while having to watch our defence largely and hopefully lump it up to a big man an "excellent win"? Assuming you actually went, are you pleased you paid money to see that performance?

When we lose the next game it'll know doubt be the refs fault too eh PDX Rover?

Like many Rovers’ fans, including PDX_Rover, I expect, I really do not care what the overall performance on the pitch is. The important thing is the result. If we play crap and win, then so what? You win naff all for the performance, only the result...just to state the bleedin’ obvious!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:27:24 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 01, 2020, 05:25:27 pm by PDX_Rover »

What are you taking about you prat?

We were outplayed. I say Oxford are a very, very good team. So it’s an excellent three points in my view.

But hey, let’s be negative about it eh?

Plonker.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 01, 2020, 05:54:40 pm by dknward2 »
Did very well and was a hard battle to win we stopped them in the final 3rd and limited them to wasteful shots. With a bit of luck we could have had at least another 2 goals.

Wright and Anderson were both fantastic.

Watters looks a good future talent.

Some times you need that ground out win to get the belief going and know you are doing the right things.

Was disappointed to hear people moaning about Gomes coming on he did ok too

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 01, 2020, 06:13:37 pm by scunny rover »
Enjoyed that ,back 4 or was 5,6,7,or 8 were great ,passing was better still not great ,playing out from the back better still not great,commitment  100% throughout the team, good win against a very good side

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 01, 2020, 06:24:04 pm by selby »
  A result against the form shown by both sides lately, built on a back four and goalkeeping display to match anything we have produced over the last few years.
  Oxford are a very good side, have the largest goal difference in the division, and have players up front and in midfield who can give teams trouble when they attack.   Today for large parts of that game our defence dealt with them well, Dieng and the back four coping well, and the rest of the team working very hard, getting bodies goal side, and putting pressure on the man with the ball. The main problem we had today was our ball retention when playing the ball forward but our work rate made up for most of our shortcomings.
  Sheaf, apart from one or two wayward passes was immense especially in the first half, and with Anderson and Wright were the bedrock our game was based on, and Coppinger found the key to unlock their defence with once again a superb defence splitting pass.
  Two clean sheets in three games is a big improvement, and it only takes a moment to win a game by scoring a goal,and organisation and effort can go a long way to achieving the goal of a win. Today we showed  character , a willingness to work hard, and not to give in, we are a young side learning very quickly, and could be the start of better things to come  in the future.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 01, 2020, 06:26:39 pm by roversontheup »
Well I may well be easily pleased but I enjoyed today. Thought it was a really good match. 3 pts against Oxford is a very good win.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 01, 2020, 06:41:21 pm by Campsall rover »
The team we  played on Boxing Day conceded 7 goals in two games and didn’t score. Oxford area different team altogether.
You were saying.

Why oh why can’t you think positively Steve.
No game is lost before you kick off unless one team goes out thinking they will lose.

Have a bit of faith. IF we win on Tues we will be 2 points off the play off places with 1 or 2 games in hand on all those above us.
YES ITS AN IF we win of course.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 01, 2020, 06:42:59 pm by Campsall rover »
Doom merchants where are you this evening.
The hush is deafening.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 01, 2020, 06:46:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Glad the players have got a rest coming up.

It was made harder today as Ennis was way off the pace. Their centre half (no 4} had a relatively easy game and was able to bring the ball out into midfield making an extra man.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 01, 2020, 06:58:29 pm by Jonathan »

It was made harder today as Ennis was way off the pace. Their centre half (no 4} had a relatively easy game and was able to bring the ball out into midfield making an extra man.

It got easier for their defence when Kwame came on.

Ennis is a young lad in his first season in senior football. He struggled a bit at times and the lack of experience and composure can show, but you can’t fault his effort. He’s done a great job leading our line in the circumstances. Now is the time to fetch in some help.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 01, 2020, 07:09:43 pm by Rovers91 »
I hope we bring a good striker in with a bit of a presence because I would like to see Ennis in that role just behind the striker, think he would be dangerous there. But hes done a cracking job leading the line for us because when hes not played christ we've missed him.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 01, 2020, 07:20:49 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
  Oxford are a very good side, have the largest goal difference in the division, and have players up front and in midfield who can give teams trouble when they attack.   

I hope the Championship scouts have their eyes on a few of their team. There might be a lot of brains in Oxford but maybe not a lot of money at the club

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 01, 2020, 07:29:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
Always good to beat Karl Robinson, given his six year stint as chief apologist for morally bankrupt and ethically repugnant Franchise FC.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 01, 2020, 07:54:18 pm by NewDonny »

You are the archetypal supporter here RR not PDX, we won, so what's not to be happy about.
Like the majority of us at todays game RR saw the result for what it was, a ground out gritty performance against probably the best side in the league at the moment. Not a spectacle by any stretch of the imagination but 3 points. The lads all worked hard to a man and ran their socks something I suspect was hard for all of them come around the 70th minute with most of them near to having played 4 games in 12 days were really having to dig in and fight to keep their bodies going.

Well done PDX for saying it as it should be!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:26:59 pm by NewDonny »

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 01, 2020, 07:59:47 pm by NewDonny »

Ennis is a young lad in his first season in senior football. He struggled a bit at times and the lack of experience and composure can show, but you can’t fault his effort. He’s done a great job leading our line in the circumstances. Now is the time to fetch in some help.

With the squad we have, I would have a half fit, slightly off the pace Ennis up top at CF all day long.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 01, 2020, 08:12:23 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Doom merchants where are you this evening.
The hush is deafening.

There’s a few usual suspects missing tonight.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 01, 2020, 08:19:12 pm by steve@dcfd »

With the squad we have, I would have a half fit, slightly off the pace Ennis up top at CF all day long.

I agree with that ND but as Jonathan says let’s fetch him some help, better quality than we have now.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 02, 2020, 07:25:01 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
  Oxford are a very good side, have the largest goal difference in the division, and have players up front and in midfield who can give teams trouble when they attack.   

I hope the Championship scouts have their eyes on a few of their team. There might be a lot of brains in Oxford but maybe not a lot of money at the club

well a good start has already been made on dismantling this team !!! like the next day !!!   :byebye:

Oxford United can confirm that defender Chris Cadden has left the club after Columbus Crew sent the paperwork through this morning to recall him from his loan.

Chris had an outstanding first half of the season and Head Coach Karl Robinson made no secret that he would have liked the Scottish international to stay for longer.

The sky ticker said Cardiff had offered one million for him to "Colombus Crew" who loaned him to Oxford   

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2020/january/chris-cadden-departs/

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 02, 2020, 07:36:16 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, he looked a very good player coming out from the back and winning most headed clearances.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 02, 2020, 07:39:19 pm by Reesielad »
On the oxford forum they say he was the worst performer on the pitch and was at fault for our goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 02, 2020, 08:34:54 pm by Campsall rover »

Oh dear RedRover you really are very sad. What would make you happy with ref to DRFC ?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 03, 2020, 12:13:19 am by dickos1 »
Yes, he looked a very good player coming out from the back and winning most headed clearances.

Don’t think that’s the same player

Number 4 who kept bringing the ball out and won everything In the air was rob dickie.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 03, 2020, 10:05:42 pm by PDX_Rover »
Don't Rovers always play an attacking style rather than a balanced style and other clubs know it? An attacking style makes it a more exciting game to watch but clubs know how to hit us on the break because we commit too many players. I don't think DM has any plan B so clubs know what to expect. He is not astute in using subs at the right time either, but that's only my opinion. The clubs that get promoted often win by scores of just 1-0 rather than going for a goal fest in every game. I think the slide down league one will just continue with the next two games.
Wouldn’t really expect you to say anything else Michael. Some of us have glasses half full and some of us have glasses half empty.
That doesn’t mean i will be right and you wrong of course.
It’s just a mindset and having a positive outlook.
The players will not be thinking they are going to lose when the step on to the Keepmoat turf.
If they do then we ARE doomed.
How many gave us a sniff against Peterborough. Yet we made them look like a league 2 team.

I think in the 2nd half of the season we may pick up as many or even more points away from home.
Teams come to the Moat with a solid game plan which we are finding difficult to overcome.
We will get more space in away games which will suit our formation and counter attacking ability.

And Michael has smashed his glass and sat on the shards. The mourngy tw@t.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012