Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:23:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Potential replacement for Sullivan...  (Read 3066 times)

VikingJames

Potential replacement for Sullivan...
« on December 23, 2010, 01:52:36 pm by VikingJames »
As many of us suspect that this will be Sulli's last season as first choice, what do we reckon to this....

Rovers linked with highly rated 'keeper.

I think he could be a bargain. Highly rated, 24 years old, and providing nobody snaps him up in January, we could get him for free. It's getting ever closer to the day that we need to think about replacing Sulli, and it sounds like this guy could fit the bill.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
Re:Potential replacement for Sullivan...
« Reply #1 on December 23, 2010, 02:03:30 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
Who's the player in the picture with him?

Cracking beard!!

Is it a Morecambe player?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 23, 2010, 02:04:52 pm by dknward2 »
What's wrong with Gary woods ok he needs match pactice and must be sent out on loan till end of season then he would be ok for next season

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 23, 2010, 02:11:23 pm by RedJ »
VikingJames wrote:
As many of us suspect that this will be Sulli's last season as first choice, what do we reckon to this....

I think he could be a bargain. Highly rated, 24 years old, and providing nobody snaps him up in January, we could get him for free. It's getting ever closer to the day that we need to think about replacing Sulli, and it sounds like this guy could fit the bill.

I'd be happy with him between the sticks. I'll be teary eyed the day Sully's replaced, but football has no time for sentiment.

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on December 23, 2010, 02:15:55 pm by VikingJames »
AbsolutDRFC wrote:
Who's the player in the picture with him?

Cracking beard!!

Is it a Morecambe player?

:laugh:  :laugh:

Yeah it is. It says \"Promotion final 2007\" on Jones's shirt, and that was when they played Morecambe. Not sure which player it is, though.  :laugh:

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 23, 2010, 03:41:26 pm by karldew »
Jensen from burnley?

He's 35, and wanting first team football. IF Sullivan is hanging his boots up at the end of the season, there are still 3/4+ years left in Jensen. Don't know what sum burnley would want and contract he would want, but would be a quality replacement.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 23, 2010, 04:39:15 pm by Superspy »
RedJ wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

I'd be happy with him between the sticks. I'll be teary eyed the day Sully's replaced, but football has no time for sentiment.

football as a business has no time for sentiment, but it doesn't stop us fans. i'm another that will be gutted when sully packs it in/is dropped :)

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on December 23, 2010, 06:20:00 pm by VikingJames »
karldew wrote:
Jensen from burnley?

He's 35, and wanting first team football. IF Sullivan is hanging his boots up at the end of the season, there are still 3/4+ years left in Jensen. Don't know what sum burnley would want and contract he would want, but would be a quality replacement.

*Shudder*

I don't think I'd feel at ease with him in goal. After watching safe hands Sulli between the sticks for the past 4 years, I don't think I'd easily take to having such an error prone buffoon as the last line of defence!

DonnyHodge

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 24, 2010, 12:24:29 am by DonnyHodge »
Only one name for me Joe Murphy. contract at scunny expires at the end of the season.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 24, 2010, 12:32:09 am by CusworthRovers »
I honestly think we may have a gem in Woods. That said, we may not also. We need to give this kid a go and see how he performs, after all I presume we brought him here thinking he had potential to be a good un, and he's effectively ousted Smith. For all we know he may be a world beater. Difficult seeing him getting a chance this season unless we get an injury to Sulli or end up mid table obscurity with 5 or so games to go.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 24, 2010, 01:38:32 pm by RobTheRover »
Has anyone seen Woods' kicks from half way in the opposition half during warm-ups?  They end up right in the goal mouth every time, 70-80 yards upfield.  Phenomenal!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 24, 2010, 04:47:26 pm by RedJ »
But there's a danger of becoming a hoof and run team if we end up making use of that too often, should he make the step up.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 24, 2010, 07:36:32 pm by Al4475 »
Cussy wrote:
\"I honestly think we may have a gem in Woods.\"

I think we'll find that we do indeed have a gem! There's no other explanation for us not financing a back-up for Sulli, we know we've needed one for the last few years, as does SO'D I'm sure and if he hasn't pushed for one than Woods is obviously the man for the job!

He is very highly rated and has worked in great company at MUFC with the likes of Van Der Saar, Kuszack, Heaton, Zieler et al before joining us, he's been capped at England levels, and I'm sure he'll be a fantastic custodian eventually!

PS: If you pick him up on the earlier football manager games for DRFC, he becomes an England regular! So obviously that's the clue! Ha ha!

Merry Christmas one and all! :santa:  :scarf:  :santa:  :scarf:  :santa:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 24, 2010, 08:19:56 pm by RedJ »
Al4475 wrote:
PS: If you pick him up on the earlier football manager games for DRFC, he becomes an England regular! So obviously that's the clue! Ha ha![/quote]
 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  excellent logic

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 25, 2010, 07:07:40 am by Rios »
Should be pointed out that David Larmour played in the same youth/reserve sides as Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen and it did him f**k all good!

:laugh:

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 25, 2010, 04:26:39 pm by Al4475 »
Admitted Rios, admitted - but Woods is a keeper, and that's a whole different kettle of fish to just being in the same team as future stars! Keepers' work tends to be done in tight intimate groups so you work off of each other! Working with the aforementioned plus the omitted Foster the quality has bound to have rubbed off on him!

You know what? I can't believe I'm actually posting on here at 4:30 (almost) on Christmas day! How sad!!! Haha! :blush:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012