Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:56:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger & Saunders  (Read 9441 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Coppinger & Saunders
« Reply #30 on August 22, 2012, 03:32:52 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I read the situation as Copps is leaving, Deano is trying to build a team and can't rely on a player who probably won't be here in a couple of weeks. It isn't being disrespectful to Copps just realistic in regards the situation we are in and we are winning.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rhinoplod

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 22, 2012, 03:43:52 pm by rhinoplod »
I was about to say the same thing. Saunders expected Copps to be gone before the Walsall game and so he prepared the team as if he wasn't going to be here. That, to me, is sensible management. There is then the old adage of don't change a winning team. Could we blame Saunders for that as well? I don't think so. He is not being disrespectful, just practical.

We were discussing Copps last night and we were saying that, as much as we'd love him to stay on, his wage is blocking the club moving to add the strength in depth that we will undoubtedly need as we move through the season. A simple one being the addition of Weaver as goalkeeper. Last nights Jekyll and Hyde performnace from Woods should pay testament to that!

It's a rock and a hard place right now. But for the longer term good of the club, perhaps he does need to move on? And I never thought I would EVER say that of him!

pubteam

« Reply #32 on August 22, 2012, 03:52:24 pm by pubteam »
I was about to say the same thing. Saunders expected Copps to be gone before the Walsall game and so he prepared the team as if he wasn't going to be here. That, to me, is sensible management. There is then the old adage of don't change a winning team. Could we blame Saunders for that as well? I don't think so. He is not being disrespectful, just practical.

We were discussing Copps last night and we were saying that, as much as we'd love him to stay on, his wage is blocking the club moving to add the strength in depth that we will undoubtedly need as we move through the season. A simple one being the addition of Weaver as goalkeeper. Last nights Jekyll and Hyde performnace from Woods should pay testament to that!

It's a rock and a hard place right now. But for the longer term good of the club, perhaps he does need to move on? And I never thought I would EVER say that of him!

This is why it confuses me that Saunders keeps saying he still wants Coppinger to stay. Surely he'd rather build a proper squad and be able to fill the bench than have Coppinger hanging around on huge wages.

Copps is a legend, but in terms of building a side that could see us through a season of over 50 games, surely it makes more sense to offload him and bring in 3 or 4 than keep him and add nobody. Assuming they are the only two options available to him.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 22, 2012, 03:59:04 pm by Wild Rover »
Copps can only go when someone offers him a new post, be that Hull, Ipswich, Forest or A.N.Other, so thats when he will be "Off Loaded", when someone follows up interest with some sort of "Bid". I think everone and his dog realises copps will go, and everyone and his dog should also realise it wont be until that point that DS can bring others in. The "Ball" is in some other clubs court, i am afraid.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 22, 2012, 04:02:59 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
not sure why he dosent put him up front?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 22, 2012, 04:10:24 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
To be honest i think a grudge has been held by Saunders since the end of last season,because of Coppinger coming out publicly about ''The Experiment'' not working,i don't think it went down well with him,no inside knowledge just my opinion.
Let's be honest he is a typical winger,an outstanding performance here and there,then the rest five or six out of ten performances,i just think Coppinger is a bit distracted by the attentions of other teams,i personally don't think he enjoys playing for Saunders,i think both parties are ready for a parting of ways,we've had his best years,maybe he needs a new start,and in the long run would probably benefit us if we can bring in two or three quality signings to bulk up the squad,i've enjoyed watching him play over the years,but maybe it's time for a change,he owes us nothing for what we paid for him,so good luck to him if he does go :scarf:

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 22, 2012, 04:46:43 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I don't believe for one minute that Deano holds a grudge against Copps and he isn't going to say I want Copps to leave either with him being a fans favourite given the amount of fans calling for his head since he got the job

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 22, 2012, 04:57:47 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I just don't see how.copps at this moment gets in our team.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 22, 2012, 05:48:30 pm by Al4475 »
Me neither BFYP!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 22, 2012, 05:52:48 pm by steve@dcfd »
Sorry Copps or Cotterill I know which one I would put in,apart from the goal, he does not provide the guile or crossing ability of player half Copps ability.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 22, 2012, 06:20:29 pm by philsky »
Sorry Copps or Cotterill I know which one I would put in,apart from the goal, he does not provide the guile or crossing ability of player half Copps ability.

You're probably right but if / when Copps goes we'll need a ready and fit player to help run midfield. Cotts is doing just fine and his relationship with Syers looks pretty strong and thats vital if they're going to give Bennett freedom.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 22, 2012, 06:20:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Cotterill put some cracking crosses in last night.  Coppinger also is good at many things but he certainly is not good at crossing.  Bin the sentiment, right now Cotterill is the better player for the team.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 22, 2012, 06:23:35 pm by RoversAlias »
'Coppinger certainly is not good at crossing'.

Strange, I seem to remember him setting up several goals last season with some fine crosses into the box. He can definitely cross a ball well.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 22, 2012, 06:27:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Mixed feelings here.

Saunders is caught between a rock and a hard place. Copps no doubt in an ideal world would not want to go and I'm sure Saunders DOES want him to stay.

I thought last night as many of you have said already, Copps was the ideal player to come on once we'd gone 2 up, as he'd use his guile and skill to hold the ball up in their half. Much as he did in the 5 mins he had.

The finances dictate otherwise. What are the options

* Copps goes in to the office and asks to have the remainder of his contract ripped up and he'll take a pay cut.
* Much like Brian Stock, he stays on the money he's on until he can move for less wages? (I'm sure he will have to take a pay cut wherever he goes)
* Saunders uses the players that are likely to remain for the rest of the season and uses Copps only as a last resort?
* Saunders plays him from the off, depriving A N Other of a place?

Not easy being a manager is it?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 22, 2012, 06:35:36 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Totally outraged if Radio Sheffield true...

They want him on LOAN!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 22, 2012, 06:36:29 pm by Filo »
Radio Sheffield are saying Barnsley want him on loan, that does n't help us much, first injury he gets and he's back with us and still on the wage bill

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 22, 2012, 06:39:25 pm by RedJ »
Won't they be paying him though (at least in part) if that's the actual deal?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 22, 2012, 06:39:37 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Put him up front and wait until we get a permanent deal

Brown and Copps up front murder this league

Totally short sighted and helping one of our hated rivals

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 22, 2012, 06:47:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Barnsley would pay us a lump some up front, the loan fee. If that's enough to help Saunders sign more players then hey ho.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 22, 2012, 07:08:01 pm by DINGLE »
Barnsley FC cannot pay the wages, players want/expect for playing in the championship, so they are taking troubled players with a history of injury, bad attitude, rotten discipline, or just players other championship teams don't want to take risks on, giving them one last chance to prove them self's, For Coppinger  to be even considering our approach i'd say very little interest as come from other clubs in our league, and this could be his only option, BFC will not be willing to pay for a player who will only be willing to sign a year deal, and not many players will be willing to sign on for longer, on the wages we'll be offering, that's why 4 of our summer signings are only on year contracts.  :scarf:

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 22, 2012, 07:08:22 pm by glosterred »
Why play a player if he is not going to be there for the season or at least until the January transfer window opens. If after this transfer window closes and he is still here then play him - otherwise build a team with those that will be here for most if not all of this season

COYR

:scarf:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 22, 2012, 07:10:17 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Has anyone in Championship ever watched him cos I tell you what if I was a manger he would be my first signing outstanding player!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on August 22, 2012, 07:17:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
How much would you pay Norfolk?

(I Love him to bits and wish he would take a cut in wages and possibly have a bonus written in should we get promoted)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 22, 2012, 08:21:20 pm by mushRTID »
Going Barnsley on loan tomorrow. Gutted. Not them bas**rds James!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 22, 2012, 08:32:15 pm by MrFrost »
Comment from a Barnsley fan......
Me neither. Good player but also a dirty horrible *******. Do we want players like him in our side

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 22, 2012, 08:33:57 pm by RedJ »
I wonder if it was the same one that called Sharp a dirty horrible bas**rd with no reasoning to back it up.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 22, 2012, 08:34:18 pm by Red wizard »
They better be paying all of his wages other wise there is no point.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 22, 2012, 08:43:28 pm by hoolahoop »
It's not about sentiment it's about results. Our two wingers have been superb so far, can't fault Saunders there. Harper also made a good impact in midfield last night. Saunders got it right, that may annoy some of you, but he did.

Sorry I don't agree with you Andy. Decent clubs always find room for sentiment for exceptional players.........Copps is and has been one of these.
There has to be a way around this rather than putting him out on loan to our 6 fingered friends up the A635. Shakell ring any bells here ?
If we shed all our 'names' we could lose some 500-1000 off our home gates costing between £5-10k per. week and the chance to get back into the big boys league where more monies will be available to us once again.........am I missing something fundamental here ?

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 22, 2012, 08:56:51 pm by Capmeister »
Copps has cemented his place as a Rovers legend. His commitment to this club has been exemplary. His zenith was under O'Drissy and arguably his best link up was with Wellens. Those 2 were telepathic and tormented defenders down the right. Things have moved on. Me, among many, lament the passing of the squad that achieved so much and punched above it's weight for a laudable amount of time. By the same token I was slow to recognise the passing of the O'Drissy era and the passing game that won us the accolade, Arsenal o' the North. But passed it has. Copps needs a move back to the championship, to a passing club and to maximise his potential in what is the twilight of his career in my view. As to the now I cannot fault Saunders. It's pretty well documented on here I'm one of his fierciest opponents but, whilst still early days, the boy done good so far as they say in footballing parlance. It's not what I've grown used to, the balls tend to miss out the midfield, the passing we were once renowned for is no longer but we're a division lower and have to operate under stricter conditions both financially and realistically. Though I didnt make the Walsall game despite my best efforts, we got a result. Against Bury I enjoyed what I saw. It entertained me and we certainly looked capable of scoring going forward. I thought Bury were better in midfield and would have got a point save the sending off. In general, we had the better, more creative players. I hope it continues and can't see why it shouldn't. Hull should be a good test next Tues if they put out a competitive side, to see how we compare against a championship side. At the end of the day though, we're Div 1 and need to concentrate on competing in this division before worrying about the higher tier.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 22, 2012, 09:39:10 pm by ravenrover »
We are all assuming that Copps wants to leave, he doesn't have to, he can sit and run his contract down until he gets his benefit match/season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012