Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:59:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This is the time, Grant.  (Read 3067 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
This is the time, Grant.
« on February 26, 2019, 10:07:42 pm by belton rover »
We’ve had the honeymoon, the falling out, the making up, and now the reality check.
I don’t want to believe we are a one loanee team, but we looked like it tonight.
Grant, please prove me wrong on Saturday. Let this blip be just that: the lull before the charge.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: This is the time, Grant.
« Reply #1 on February 26, 2019, 10:19:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Given how many games we've played and the consistency in selection there will be a few tired legs.  This is the downside to a good cup run really particularly the way we play.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 26, 2019, 10:36:25 pm by the vicar »
Tonight was nothing to do with tired anything we had a lot more of the play, we had the chances but again we could not put them away

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2019, 10:43:13 pm by dickos1 »
First half we had no chances we didn’t even win a tackle, couldn’t get in their half it was a shambles.
Second half was very good but left ourselves too much to do
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:53:39 am by dickos1 »

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 27, 2019, 06:30:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Tonight was nothing to do with tired anything we had a lot more of the play, we had the chances but again we could not put them away

Its not just physical but mental tiredness.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 27, 2019, 07:01:54 am by Donnywolf »
... and still have 3 on 9 Yellows to come as well unless there were any last night ?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 27, 2019, 07:10:07 am by drfchound »
First half we had no chances we didn’t even win a tackle, couldn’t get in their half it was a shambles.
Second half was very good but left ourselves too much to do

But, to be fair, if we had put one of those chances away early enough it would have probably put added pressure on Shrewsbury and given our boys an extra lift.
Who knows what would have happened then.
We all know that. 2-0 lead reduced to 2-1 is a big thing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 27, 2019, 07:18:44 am by dickos1 »
We shouldn’t be two nil down at half time though against a side that hasn’t won at home for 8 games.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 27, 2019, 07:22:45 am by drfchound »
We shouldn’t be two nil down at half time though against a side that hasn’t won at home for 8 games.

All runs come to an end though.
Lots of things happen in football that perhaps shouldn’t.
It would be a bit boring wouldn’t it if it was so predictable.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 27, 2019, 07:24:24 am by graingrover »
It was Copps who absolutely galvanised us second half.His class on the ball seemed to inspire everyone to up the game ...but we missed sitters .

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 27, 2019, 07:43:40 am by since-1969 »
YES in the second half when the game was lost !! Your forgetting had it not been for a fantastic one handed save by Marosi it would have been 3-0 at half time .

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 27, 2019, 08:16:48 am by ctay »
I thought we started to look tired at Scunthorpe, last night was no surprise.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 27, 2019, 08:20:57 am by dickos1 »

Aye but not sure that’s the attitude

Last night was a massive game for us, it was our game in hand and it would’ve cemented our play off place
Now it’s looking precarious and with lots of tough games coming up

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 27, 2019, 08:27:51 am by drfchound »

Aye but not sure that’s the attitude

Last night was a massive game for us, it was our game in hand and it would’ve cemented our play off place
Now it’s looking precarious and with lots of tough games coming up

There is nothing wrong with my attitude to football.
I am very positive but it is a fact that all runs do come to an end.

We are still in a good position and if we are to retain our top six place we have to win enough of those tough games.

I could say that your attitude to our position isn’t very positive when you say our position is precarious with lots of tough games coming up...............but I won’t.  ;)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2019, 08:53:31 am by dickos1 »
Not saying there’s anything wrong with your attitude towards football. But there won’t be anybody inside the club saying last night was ok because all runs come to an end. The fact is we’ve dropped 5 points in 4 days.
We should’ve been looking up but now we’re looking below.

Our position is precarious now and the games coming up include Barnsley, Blackpool, charlton and Luton so they’re tough games and that’s a fact.

We’ve fallen behind Barnsley and Luton because we’re not consistent and we’re dropping points against poor sides. Whereas Barnsley and Luton aren’t

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2019, 09:03:04 am by GazLaz »
Not saying there’s anything wrong with your attitude towards football. But there won’t be anybody inside the club saying last night was ok because all runs come to an end. The fact is we’ve dropped 5 points in 4 days.

Our position is precarious now and the games coming up include Barnsley, Blackpool, charlton and Luton so they’re tough games and that’s a fact.

We’ve fallen behind Barnsley and Luton because we’re not consistent and we’re dropping points against poor sides. Whereas Barnsley and Luton aren’t

Come on, judging out progress on two games is pointless. It’s obvious that the top two and possibly Sunderland are better teams than us. Finishing behind them is no disgrace. We’ve lost three league games since November and not lost at home since October. We are doing ok.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 27, 2019, 09:11:50 am by dickos1 »
I’m not judging our progress at all, I’m just stating we’ve dropped 5 points from games we should’ve done a lot better in. And both games it was down to a poor 45 mins.

On our day we’re at least as good as those teams you mentioned, we were the better side against Sunderland and Barnsley and we beat Luton.

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 27, 2019, 09:39:14 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But positively we're a play off challenging side - that's a good thing.  Dicos is right on inconsistency, we've dropped too many points against teams such as Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe etc which top teams wouldn't.  We're a good side but not outstanding.

None of it takes away from the fact we've massively improved and we still have a good play off shout.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 27, 2019, 09:56:01 am by RoversAlias »
I don't think we were better than Sunderland in that match although it's beside the point.

If you had asked me before the season how I'd feel about us being 6th in February I'd be delighted. I would have considered a top 10 finish good this season and at this stage I will be happy with our progress even if we just miss out on the Top 6. We are from the looks of it a side who belongs between 5th and 8th and that's huge progress on last year, and actually looks like being our best season since relegation from the Championship under Dickov which is no bad thing, is it?

We are capable of making the Top 6 come May but we need to find a little edge of consistency again and perhaps that extra yard mentally to push us on. Big tests coming up, how we do against Charlton, Barnsley and Luton will be the evidence. We have beaten two of those sides already this season and arguably should have beaten the other on their own turf too. Bring it on.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 27, 2019, 10:11:15 am by GazLaz »
I’m not judging our progress at all, I’m just stating we’ve dropped 5 points from games we should’ve done a lot better in. And both games it was down to a poor 45 mins.

On our day we’re at least as good as those teams you mentioned, we were the better side against Sunderland and Barnsley and we beat Luton.

We are consistently not as good as those two sides, that’s a fact. On our day we are a good side, we are still a work in progress though.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 27, 2019, 10:21:21 am by pib »
The first half v Sunderland was very competitive and we matched them, but 2nd half they were more streetwise and that's why they won.

We were the better side v Barnsley, it's hard to deny that. We were 2nd best v Luton though and I think everyone knows we rode our luck in that game (and probably benefited from their wayward finishing). I saw a clip on YouTube yesterday where Whiteman and Matty Blair both said Luton were very very good, and the best team we've played by far.

In terms of our progress overall - no, we're not as good as some of our opponents at the top, but where would you rather be - where we are now or pissing about in 15th playing shit football like last season?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 27, 2019, 10:32:43 am by Donnywolf »

In terms of our progress overall - no, we're not as good as some of our opponents at the top, but where would you rather be - where we are now or pissing about in 15th playing shit football like last season?

Good call - we wouldnt need a Poll for that would we ..... and the fact our Manager is called "Grant" in the Title tells me a lot as well and answers your question above  :scarf:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 27, 2019, 10:42:31 am by dickos1 »

We are consistently not as good as those two sides, that’s a fact. On our day we are a good side, we are still a work in progress though.

I know, that’s our issue. We aren’t consistent.
The first half yesterday was as poor as I’ve seen us this season but in the second half we were very good and should’ve won

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 27, 2019, 12:39:13 pm by drfchound »

When I said that all runs come to an end I said it because it is true.

No way did I say it was acceptable a for us to lose the game because of that and absolutely, there is no way that anyone at the club will be saying it is ok that we lost for that reason.

Our position is no more precarious today than it was before that defeat yesterday.
We are still sixth and have a game in hand on most of the clubs around us.

We know how good the team can be and I for one have faith in a Grant to get things right.
He will know that Kane and Copps are vital to our cause and is unlikely to have them both missing again unless through injury or suspension of course.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012