Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:29:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts from a new member  (Read 3058 times)

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
Thoughts from a new member
« on May 14, 2019, 09:37:50 pm by SouthStandFan »
Hello all long time lurker first time posting. Rovers fan of about 23 years, mid 30s now. I work away a lot so attend where I can, probably 2/3 of the home matches this season and a sprinkling away.

I read a lot on here about our fans, their behaviour, the team etc.... just wanted to add my two pence and see if anyone agrees or not...

For me, attending with a child (11), we like to go to the top of the south stand, or fairly near. This is because of the atmosphere. However, I agree with some in that we have a few bad apples, some regular and some who only come out of the woodwork for "big" matches. We all know the type, and I don't care if I'm generalising because I know it's true... Stone Island head to toe, pretending they're an extra from Green Street... when in reality if someone gave them a slap they'd be crying in the stands. These fans, some of them grown men, need to be identified and where their behaviour crosses the line, banned.

There is also an anti-social/bullying group among some of the crowd. I have personally interjected to stop teenage lads on their own being harassed by other groups of lads. Literally throwing food at them, flicking their ear, gobbing off. Also, it is my understanding that vaping is banned. I again have had to ask people (politely and less politely) to cease blowing fruity flavoured vapour around me... it reeks and is now different to me dropping a stink bomb. More worryingly, I have personally witnessed drug consumption in the stands... from the relatively harmless (poppers) to the illegal (coke).

By contrast, our stewarding in my opinion is sketchy and variable. I have seen some stewards very rude and heavy handed on young lads (13/14). In most cases a firm warning followed by a firmer warning would suffice, but some of the stewards seem to think they're policing a nightclub on a Friday night. The stewards also on occasion only tell off people who they are "bigger" than and say nothing when other fans do the same (standing in the aisle for example). They need to be consistent.

For those moaning about standing up, it should basically be barred completely (and enforced) in the family/older areas. If the powers that be ever see it fit for safe standing zones, we could make south stand the Kop of the Keepmoat and completely ban any other standing. Which would surely please everyone? Probably not lol

As for the complaint that people don't sing loud enough/at all.... if they've turned up and paid their money, they can do what they want (assuming it does not interfere with anyone else, see the points above). If someone wants to sit and do a crossword who cares. They might just be not inclined to singing. We're not Juventus, it's never going to be that kind of ground.

As for the team, I do hope we keep Marquis, for all his frustrating qualities, he scores goals. He would actually fit in on this forum as he also moans a lot! I am sorry we sacked Mason. Everyone makes mistakes, and he has made one. Is it crime of the century... no. We could have banned him for the rest of this season and made a song and dance about re-education and rehabilitation. I genuinely believe that would have also been in his best interests.

I actually like Marosi whereas last year I didn't rate him very highly. If I have one criticism it's that he often seems to exaggerate a dive and make more of it. For example in the Charlton match he did a wild dive to stop a header in the second half, giving away a corner when the ball was heading well wide. At best this is lack of spacial awareness, at worst it was showboating his leaps.

I think Herbie Kane will be lower prem quality in a few years, Wilks could be top championship quality. I think we need to offload Alfie May sadly, likeable as he is... I think he is league two quality at best.

For me, Sadlier is a rising star and we need to keep hold.

Anyway, a few random points as an intro to the forum, look forward to being shot down.

I won't get to the Charlton away match as I'm working down south Friday and won't get home and down again in time, safe travels for the faithful that are going. I would love a day out at Wembley but this season for me has been a great success, all the pundits seemed to have us as favourites for relegation, but here we are and with a decent cup run in the middle.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Thoughts from a new member
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2019, 10:07:19 pm by RobTheRover »
Welcome SSF

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2019, 10:16:00 pm by Spilsby Red »
Great post southstandfan.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2019, 10:22:41 pm by drfchound »
Yeah, agreed, great post.

On the standing thing I wish we could either go back to allocated seating or, have a dedicated standing area, defined very clearly, with no standing at all outside of it.

It would solve a lot of the misunderstandings or anti social stuff.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2019, 10:29:06 pm by idler »
Welcome and you voice the thoughts of quite a few others.
Hopefully the club will be working to improve things for next season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2019, 11:29:23 pm by RoversAlias »
Totally agree with 95% of your post, and welcome to the forum. I think your points on the issues in the stand are spot on and, although I haven't personally witnessed much of the bad behaviour despite sitting fairly close to the centre of the South Stand, I don't doubt it goes on and I do think aspects of the stewarding could be improved if practices are looked at.

I enjoy being close to the main atmosphere but likewise don't begrudge anyone who doesn't want to join in singing. If we instigated a Safe Standing area I think it would benefit most of us, and I would gladly move to a different part of the ground (neither me nor my Dad are up for standing 90+ minutes at a game) if it came to that.

Only the Mason thing I completely disagree on. Everyone makes mistakes, but they are liable to be punished for them and what he did was atrocious. There are of course worse crimes but that doesn't make it okay, think of how much of an impact on the victim it will have had. Glad we are rid of him, don't care how good he is at kicking a ball around.

Marquis...I like to think he secretly posts on this forum, joining in some of the moans. Not really, but it's a funny thought. I think he's brilliant and we will undoubtedly be a poorer side if he leaves.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 15, 2019, 06:01:50 am by roversdude »
SSF great opening post and welcome

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 15, 2019, 10:14:42 am by SouthStandFan »
Thanks guys.

Reference Mason to add some context. In my line of work (Military Officer), I lead/manage a lot of young and impressionable lads. We build up their confidence, stick some money into their pocket and send them out into the world on a weekend. They make mistakes. Getting drunk, fighting, public disorder... And on rare occassion, sexual assault.

Part of my role is having a duty of care over those individuals, often despite their own reprehensible actions.

I draw parallels with the footballing world. Some of these young guys aren't particularly smart, some might be nasty lads deep down. Either way, we pay them an inordinate amount of money to kick a ball around. That gives some of them an inflated ego, couple this with too much champagne and we end up with Mason type situations.

Now, were that victim my daughter, my wife... Maybe I'd think differently. But I think we owe it to our players to look after them, even in the face of their bad decisions and in some cases their criminal acts. (Not all cases). That might mean a ban, fine, education... But either way we (DRFC) should carry some responsibility outside of just football, in the same way that the players contracts should acknowledge that they are always representing the club and that if they being it into disrepute there will be consequences.

Sacking him might look admirable to the wider community, might go some way to retaining the off the pitch awards we have laudibly scooped up in recent years. But what of Mason... Perhaps had we taken more ownership of his rehabilitation he could have grown both as a DRFC footballer and as a person.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:17:02 am by SouthStandFan »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 15, 2019, 10:52:53 am by silent majority »
It's just not that simple.

The management of the club has to look after the whole club, not just one individual. The simple fact is, how can you have someone within your club who is on the sex register? How can you organise community days, visits to schools, stadium tours on match days, and all manner of supporter interaction if one of your players has to be treated in a way that curtailed all of that?

It's certainly not about looking admirable, its about doing the right thing for the club and the community it serves.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 15, 2019, 10:57:19 am by Spud »
A lot to digest there but the first thing that jumps off the page for me.....
People do poppers at football matches???
Why would you do that lol

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 15, 2019, 10:59:39 am by silent majority »

Drugs have been a major issue at Premiership grounds for some time, and I mean the serious stuff too. No surprise that there's an element within the DRFC support.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:19:12 pm by silent majority »

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 15, 2019, 12:16:14 pm by Spud »

Drugs have been a major issue at Premiership grounds for some time, and I mean the serious stuff too. No surprise that there's an element within the DRFC support.

Weed & coke are everywhere, amongst other substances, it's a big problem in society in general imo & so am not surprised whatsoever that these cone into football.
My surprise is at poppers, I wouldn't have put them in the same bracket, I thought they were mainly used in sexual encounters.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:18:57 pm by silent majority »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 15, 2019, 12:29:38 pm by Chris Black come back »
Needed them all last season just to get through home games.

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 15, 2019, 12:36:40 pm by SouthStandFan »

Beats me. It was that young skinhead ginger lad who walks with a cane, him and his mate.

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2019, 12:37:49 pm by SouthStandFan »

The management of the club has to look after the whole club, not just one individual. The simple fact is, how can you have someone within your club who is on the sex register? How can you organise community days, visits to schools, stadium tours on match days, and all manner of supporter interaction if one of your players has to be treated in a way that curtailed all of that?

It's certainly not about looking admirable, its about doing the right thing for the club and the community it serves.

Really valid points that I hadn't considered.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 15, 2019, 12:58:17 pm by Spud »

Beats me. It was that young skinhead ginger lad who walks with a cane, him and his mate.

Lol  am missing it all in the west stand.
I always used the family stand when the kids were younger myself, found it bang on apart from the sun in your eyes at times.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 15, 2019, 02:21:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

I get what you say and to a point agree, but feel more strongly about no one is perfect and the model of recognising mistakes and dealing with them, the positive process, is more valuable for even school kids to grasp. If a player is walking that path of improvement, that is a valuable role model. I'm not dicscussing Mason here, I have no idea of the specifics, but in general I think that is the mature way.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 15, 2019, 07:16:59 pm by silent majority »

I get what you say and to a point agree, but feel more strongly about no one is perfect and the model of recognising mistakes and dealing with them, the positive process, is more valuable for even school kids to grasp. If a player is walking that path of improvement, that is a valuable role model. I'm not dicscussing Mason here, I have no idea of the specifics, but in general I think that is the mature way.

I get that, I really do. And I'm sure a club like ours would help any individual to overcome issues, and find a way back. But what we're discussing here is somebody who is on the sex register, therefore the scenario you picture is not difficult, it's an impossibility. I'm sure other clubs, who don't have the community involvement we have, and don't forget that Club Doncaster is the largest 6th form in Doncaster with hundreds of children participating, would find it easier than us.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 15, 2019, 07:29:29 pm by sha66y »

It appears half the community it serves are popping pils and snorting coke in the south stand allegedly, ...let’s hope we can address this issue quickly as we are a family orientated club...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 15, 2019, 07:38:04 pm by silent majority »

It appears half the community it serves are popping pils and snorting coke in the south stand allegedly, ...let’s hope we can address this issue quickly as we are a family orientated club...

I struggle to see what your point is.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 15, 2019, 07:43:50 pm by PDX_Rover »
How do you chop a line out in your seat?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 15, 2019, 08:48:25 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
....My surprise is at poppers, I wouldn't have put them in the same bracket, I thought they were mainly used in sexual encounters.
Are they in the swinging section?

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 15, 2019, 09:43:30 pm by SouthStandFan »
I'm not saying it's rife. I've seen it twice, once with each substance I mentioned. I imagine it is the same in many stands on a Saturday afternoon and it's reflective of wider society.

Don't want to make it seem like a bigger problem than it is, was just using it as an example of poor behaviour I've seen in the stands.

Like I said it's only a couple of bad apples.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 15, 2019, 10:30:37 pm by RedJ »

Very discreetly you'd imagine.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 15, 2019, 10:32:47 pm by drfchound »

Pretend you have a pork pie in your kitchen foil.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 15, 2019, 10:51:22 pm by RedJ »

Pretend you have a pork pie in your kitchen foil.

Would bring a new meaning to inhaling your food.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 16, 2019, 06:33:10 am by Nudga »

I've seen em Town scoop it up on a coin and blast it down their nose.
One kid even had a special little spatula type thing for it on his car keys ring.
Weed is rife now, most young lads f**kin stink like cats piss because it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012