Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:43:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mason.........the vultures are circling!!!!!!!  (Read 6161 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Mason.........the vultures are circling!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on April 04, 2018, 01:31:40 pm by Alickismyhero »
Sorry Craig, we must have read it at the same time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 04, 2018, 01:35:05 pm by Filo »
Hull and Sunderland will still be getting PL money, hold out for top dollar I say

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 04, 2018, 01:45:55 pm by Alickismyhero »
I think this is probably the first challenge to Fergy and his ability to keep hold of a promising talent. All the players seem to sing the praises of Fergy and say what he is doing to develop their careers.

We have a good squad but can we hold on to them?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 04, 2018, 02:10:56 pm by wing commander »
 Of course the interesting thing here is that Mason takes a fair bit of stick at times and is very one footed..Championship quality player?? I'm not so sure..!!

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 04, 2018, 02:21:11 pm by Michael Shaw »
I find it odd reading articles about Leeds, Sunderland and others after Niall Mason when he has a year to go on his contract. Don’t we need him ourselves if we want to push for promotion or is promotion just something the board talks about but doesn’t really mean?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 04, 2018, 02:24:18 pm by Alickismyhero »
Stan Bowles wasn't too bad with his left foot!

and

that cross Mason put in for the Marquis headed goal was very good.

The kid has potential and I would like to see him stay.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 04, 2018, 02:24:52 pm by Dutch Uncle »
We do seem to have an encouraging amount of good young players at the moment - Wright, Beestin, Kiwomya as well as Mason are regulars, and maybe some of ben Khemis, Garrett, Amos, Blaney and Longbottom can follow. Whiteman and Lawlor are also young of course, and Jones and Fielding have contracts to 2019. May and Mandeville seem to have at least temporarily lost their way. I can't remember when we last had so many good young players?  The 1980's maybe - Ian Snodin, Brevett, Rankine, Lister, Raven, ....... 

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 04, 2018, 02:55:54 pm by wing commander »
Don't get me wrong Alick I don't mind Mason,i think he's a decent player at our level.I'm just surprised there seems to be so many after him by the looks..Yes he put in a decent cross for the goal at Bradford but the times he's got caught out having to switch feet in defence in the same game was worrying...He's decent but I wouldn't thought he was good enough for so much interest in him that's all....
   Next season when Andrews comes back he's going to struggle to get into the team I would think..

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 04, 2018, 03:12:31 pm by Alickismyhero »
Wing Co,

I must admit I don't get to many games due to family commitments so my opinion on players is only made with the help of Rovers Player. My last chance to watch Mason play will probably be the MKD's game on the 14th.

I did have the chance to watch Mandy play at Stevenage B and I am glad I never made the effort as he never got off the bench.

As Copps once said "I love playing football but I don't like the football industry" or words to that effect.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 04, 2018, 03:17:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
He’d be playing right back but we haven’t got a left back so Fergie picks him there. If Andrew had been fit he’d have played RB all season. With both available in their best positions Marquis would have scored more goals this season.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:20:14 pm by steve@dcfd »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 04, 2018, 03:30:30 pm by GazLaz »
He’s a good player, if he goes we will get the minimum no doubt, we don’t hype our young players up to inflate the prices like other clubs do.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 04, 2018, 03:36:14 pm by IDM »
I find it odd reading articles about Leeds, Sunderland and others after Niall Mason when he has a year to go on his contract. Don’t we need him ourselves if we want to push for promotion or is promotion just something the board talks about but doesn’t really mean?

Why are you apparently having a pop at the board’s ambition, when it is other clubs showing interest in our player?  Who has said we want to sell????

However if someone pays good money that allows DF to invest in the squad to challenge for promotion, what’s the problem there?

For what it is worth, I would rather Mason stays with us for a good while yet..

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 04, 2018, 03:47:17 pm by raggytash »
I thinks he’s rather average and certainly no stand out.... doesn’t like a 50/50 that’s for sure.... any decent bid I’d take it...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 04, 2018, 03:50:22 pm by selby »
  Let him go for decent money and sign McGahey, bigger stronger better.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 04, 2018, 03:50:59 pm by wing commander »
He’d be playing right back but we haven’t got a left back so Fergie picks him there. If Andrew had been fit he’d have played RB all season. With both available in their best positions Marquis would have scored more goals this season.

That's a fair point actually...He probably would,although his actual position was midfield..I think he would do well at right back given a good run of games..I guess it's all down to the offer,if there is one that is...Personally I don't think he is irreplaceable if a decent offer comes in but he will be in his last year and if he wanted to go then it would be hard to keep him...More than happy for him to stay but wouldn't be too concerned if he went...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 04, 2018, 04:19:19 pm by drfchound »
For all the people who give him stick, there are just as many who rate him, l do.

As the saying goes, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

Fair enough, he is very right sided but credit to the lad, he has been asked to fill in a LB in Andrews’ abscense and has done fine there but very obviously is better at RB.

This scenario however shows how difficult it is going to be to try and build the side around good young players.
We will never be able to match the type of money he would be offered by the likes of Sunderland, Birmingham or Leeds.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:40:45 pm by drfchound »

Brian Young

• Forum Member
Mason in demand
« Reply #17 on April 04, 2018, 05:08:42 pm by Brian Young »
ROVER AND OUT? Sunderland, Birmingham and Hull City in race to land Doncaster star Niall Mason
Defender moved to Keepmoat Stadium from Aston Villa last year on permanent deal after successful season on loan.

The Sun  :chair:

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 04, 2018, 05:39:15 pm by 1879Rovers »
If the money is right for the club they will let him go. We could bring in a couple of players if Championship clubs are wanting him. I like him. Very versatile and hardly played in his true position. A good utility player.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 04, 2018, 05:48:11 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Sunderland, Brum, Leeds... could all be "interested" for sure, but I suspect this is part of us hyping it too. Hopefully we get a reasonable deal if he does go.

But, maybe he's wise and realises he can get more game time with us, as well as a good contract extension given the interest.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 04, 2018, 05:56:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's easy to underestimate the worth of a player who has been an ever present, kept himself fit and has adapted to different positions without fuss.

He's a good footballer although not the finished article, I'm sure he'll want to push on and make a position his own.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 04, 2018, 05:56:53 pm by silent majority »
Maybe he just has a very good agent.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 04, 2018, 06:03:56 pm by NickDRFC »
Am I the only person who hasn’t heard of this website and so would be a little bit sceptical about the story?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 04, 2018, 06:06:40 pm by steve@dcfd »
Maybe he just has a very good agent.

Yes I bet you are right all these stories start with agents.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 04, 2018, 07:04:06 pm by scawsby steve »
For all the people who give him stick, there are just as many who rate him, l do.

As the saying goes, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

Fair enough, he is very right sided but credit to the lad, he has been asked to fill in a LB in Andrews’ abscense and has done fine there but very obviously is better at RB.

This scenario however shows how difficult it is going to be to try and build the side around good young players.
We will never be able to match the type of money he would be offered by the likes of Sunderland, Birmingham or Leeds.

I totally agree with that, Hound; I am very fearful of the amount of clubs that might be sniffing around our young squad this Summer, especially Marquis; money talks in the end, and we cannot match the wages of Championship clubs.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 04, 2018, 07:12:05 pm by 1879Rovers »
Am I the only person who hasn’t heard of this website and so would be a little bit sceptical about the story?

It has originated from the Sun Newspaper so that doesn't really give it any credibility at all.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 04, 2018, 07:23:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
money talks in the end, and we cannot match the wages of Championship clubs.

Interesting comment when it is the Championship we are supposed to be aiming for!

Personally, I wouldn't be letting him go anywhere, we've had enough trouble with full backs this season. He seems to have found his best position at RB but he is a more than useful player to have covering other positions.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 04, 2018, 07:26:10 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Interesting comment when it is the Championship we are supposed to be aiming for!

Personally, I wouldn't be letting him go anywhere, we've had enough trouble with full backs this season. He seems to have found his best position at RB but he is a more than useful player to have covering other positions.

When clubs are bidding now 8 figure fees for players and paying 6 figure salaries a week then no we cannot.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 04, 2018, 07:52:38 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

I think the wise way for us and others at our level to make headway is to sell, and sell at the right time. The bigger clubs have money to throw around, it's for us to catch that and re-invest it.

If we pretend to be Billy Big b*llocks when we're not, we'll fall. Ambition yes, wisdom yes. Grow, not fly too close to the Sun.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 04, 2018, 08:20:50 pm by 5minstogo »
I think we'd struggle to find a better right back for the same wage. Mason is  a very clever player who will only improve. His downfall is his versatility, if he played more games in one position he'd improve quicker.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012