Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:23:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saunders straight down tunnel  (Read 4566 times)

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
Saunders straight down tunnel
« on March 25, 2012, 10:35:00 am by Albert Trousers »
He may well have been pissed off with the 1st goal but he seemed to disappear at the end without so much as a wave to the 500 or so fans who had spent a lot of money to support the team (& support them well I thought) maybe I'm being picky or I didn't see him acknowledge us but little things like that won't help him win the fans over

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversam

• Forum Member
Re: Saunders straight down tunnel
« Reply #1 on March 25, 2012, 10:41:26 am by roversam »
Quote from: \"Albert Trousers\" post=229435
He may well have been pissed off with the 1st goal but he seemed to disappear at the end without so much as a wave to the 500 or so fans who had spent a lot of money to support the team (& support them well I thought) maybe I'm being picky or I didn't see him acknowledge us but little things like that won't help him win the fans over
He probably had the arse on after hearing a section of the rovers fans singing SOD's barmy army.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 25, 2012, 11:12:50 am by Albert Trousers »
Didnt hear that tbh, heard the taxi for Saunders chant though

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 25, 2012, 12:38:18 pm by dickos1 »
Our previous manager never came over and when results were bad he got stick for it, when he was successful it never got mentioned.
If I was Saunders, n heard chants of Saunders out I wouldn't bother either

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 25, 2012, 01:01:03 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"roversam\" post=229437
He probably had the arse on after hearing a section of the rovers fans singing SOD's barmy army.

Idiotic brainless kids, they were singing Deano give us a wave first half. Idiots and I made that point to some, by all means be frustrated I was as I felt we gave the game away, but that kind of stuff helps nobody.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 25, 2012, 01:10:14 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=229448
Quote from: \"roversam\" post=229437

Idiotic brainless kids, they were singing Deano give us a wave first half. Idiots and I made that point to some, by all means be frustrated I was as I felt we gave the game away, but that kind of stuff helps nobody.

That`s the problem on this forum a lot of the negative posts are by brainless kids that have known nothing but success, Dare to Dream being a perfect example in the thread in which he`s been slated by everyone, as much as I don`t want it to happen, a good dose of relegation might be good for the children!

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 25, 2012, 01:45:21 pm by jucyberry »
I think you have hit the nail on the head Filo, The youngsters complain that too many of the older posters live in the past, that we are in the now and that is all that matters..

For many this is the first real disappointment they have had to face..

For the older posters (even those like me who also didn't come to Rovers until the so called glory years) there is the knowledge that this is perhaps an albeit unwelcome blip.

As I have said before, when we were teetering towards the playoffs there were many avowels of 'if we get to the Champoinship and last a season and then go down I'll be happy.. It's something I thought was only a dream'

Well, look at us, we have lasted a darned sight longer than one season..

Yes if we do drop it is disappointing, but we have done it before, we will do it again..

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 25, 2012, 02:03:52 pm by Dare to dream! »
Idiotic brainless kids, they were singing Deano give us a wave first half. Idiots and I made that point to some, by all means be frustrated I was as I felt we gave the game away, but that kind of stuff helps nobody.[/quote]

That`s the problem on this forum a lot of the negative posts are by brainless kids that have known nothing but success, Dare to Dream being a perfect example in the thread in which he`s been slated by everyone, as much as I don`t want it to happen, a good dose of relegation might be good for the children![/quote]

Brainless kids? Im sure those singing Saunders out against Millwall werent kids. Just because we are younger than you doesnt make up kids does it? I dont call you mindless oaps? Disrespectfull. Our opinion is the same value as yours. My post yesterday was the truth doesnt mean i dont appreiciate what john Ryan has done in the past does it? I am young but i was going to games while we were in the confrence adn havent just started supporting Rovers isnce they got promted to League 1 like most of the younger people have who support the rovers

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 25, 2012, 02:16:57 pm by Filo »
My post yesterday was the truth

Makes one wonder why you posted this later does n`t it?
After reading back I have to apologise for posting this, it was out of line. I had just seen the table and it didnt look good, emotions got the better of me i suppose, sorry john

I am young but i was going to games while we were in the confrence

Rather backs up my point about only experiencing the good times and never experienced relegation!

Also regarding your post yesterday you posted this
Brought us up and sent us down

and then today you posted this in another thread
We will be okay, there are plenty of games left yet

Brainless? you decide!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 25, 2012, 02:23:54 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"Dare to dream!\" post=229459

Brainless kids? Im sure those singing Saunders out against Millwall werent kids. Just because we are younger than you doesnt make up kids does it? I dont call you mindless oaps? Disrespectfull. Our opinion is the same value as yours. My post yesterday was the truth doesnt mean i dont appreiciate what john Ryan has done in the past does it? I am young but i was going to games while we were in the confrence adn havent just started supporting Rovers isnce they got promted to League 1 like most of the younger people have who support the rovers

So you are retracting the apology you gave to the man who has spent millions of pounds of his own money to put this club in a place where I never thought I would see it for one season never mind three. You are an immature, ungrateful and ignorant fool. And apparently hypocritical now. If you are 50 years old you are still a kid and your kind of support we can do without.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 25, 2012, 02:30:58 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=229464

So you are retracting the apology you gave to the man who has spent millions of pounds of his own money to put this club in a place where I never thought I would see it for one season never mind three. You are an immature, ungrateful and ignorant fool. And apparently hypocritical now. If you are 50 years old you are still a kid and your kind of support we can do without.

Lets face it, I saw it like this as soon as it was posted, he only made the apology after everyone jumped on his back, it was obvious the apology was n`t from the heart.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 25, 2012, 05:47:44 pm by Standanista »
I'm with Filo and jucyberry.  Last thing I want to see happen is relegation, BUT, anybody who's supported us from the Conference onwards has never seen us relegated, plain and simple.  Well, welcome aboard, this is what it feels like.  It's fantastic that a lot of younger fans have got involved, that's exactly what we need, but sadly a lot are now finding out for the first time that following a club is not just about the good times.  No doubt some will drift away, but hopefully the majority will stay.

When we went down under Bremner, folk understood that he was doing his best under very difficult financial circumstances, and I don't remember people getting on his back particularly.  Saunders is in a similar situation.  SOD himself said, as manager, that we needed to prepare for League 1 next season.  Chants and threads of \"Saunders Out\" etc at this point achieves nothing, IMHO.  Let's give the bloke the chance to show what he can do with 1. a pre-season to set up his squad, 2. a clean slate for starters, rather than coming in with the club way adrift at the bottom of the league with one point from seven games, and 3. a full season ahead of him.  With just a handful of points more from the back-end of the SOD era, we wouldn't be in the shit we're in now and heads wouldn't be dropping the same (both on the pitch and on this board).  None of that has got bugger all to do with Saunders.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 25, 2012, 05:52:06 pm by danrover82 »
Didn't SOD have a bad run with us to start with and rumour had it at time a loss (against a team that escapes me now) meant he would have been sacked?

I dont think SOD ever had the abuse that Deanos had from mindless fans at times and I feel sorry for the guy. No wonder he went straight down the tunnel, seeing us go toe to toe with the run away league leagers for 57 mins just to blow it. Not to mention his back being against the wall since day one with only a few (who see the bigger picture)behind him. Instead of the others who want to pull the guy to bits(for anything he tries) hoping for a magical phone call from Jeremy Kyle saying they're SOD's love child after all these years. Giving them that lasting feeling they'll always have him as their comfort blanket in times of hardship.

Some people seriously need to get a grip on reality on this one and realise he is trying to create something with this club that others including SOD didnt. Reserves and youth development to name two.  

The Doncaster public dont want to back us.

There is no Abramovic stlye tycoon ready buy us in to Premier league and  Deans not been able to spend a penny unlike SOD and co from years gone by.

He's even had less to spend than managers who bought flops Justin Jackson and Carl Alford. puts things into perspective when you look at the facts eh?

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 25, 2012, 06:26:26 pm by Akinfenwa »
Quote from: \"danrover82\" post=229488
Didn't SOD have a bad run with us to start with and rumour had it at time a loss (against a team that escapes me now) meant he would have been sacked?

In his first full season we lost to Walsall 3-2 at home (2-1 up at half time) and then drew 1-1 away at Luton. I remember at that time SO'D was getting similar treatment from fans with some banging on about how we should have kept Penney.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 25, 2012, 06:33:28 pm by Donnybax »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=229445
Our previous manager never came over and when results were bad he got stick for it, when he was successful it never got mentioned.

True but at Swansea he clapped properly and that was a horror display with no team. Besides just because SOD didnt do it often does that make it ok for Saunders not to clap us NO.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 25, 2012, 06:42:48 pm by danrover82 »
When you've been appointed manager of a Championship club, given no money, told to sell your best player and lower the wage bill as well as inherit a team of injury prone, easy riders and love children of the past regime.

Would you clap the fans, who are calling for your head?

I know I wouldn't!

Obviously he was hurting and granted its not all the fans shouting, but he's being unfairly judged and got no respect from some fans or ever will and is passionate about his role and trying to develop DRFC for the good.

We have been on a high for so long and its time for a dip, like any rollercoaster.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 25, 2012, 06:48:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
Quote from: \"danrover82\" post=229493
When you've been appointed manager of a Championship club, given no money, told to sell your best player and lower the wage bill as well as inherit a team of injury prone, easy riders and love children of the past regime.

Can't say I agree with all this but the above quote is priceless!!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 25, 2012, 07:18:52 pm by Chris »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=229454

That`s the problem on this forum a lot of the negative posts are by brainless kids that have known nothing but success, Dare to Dream being a perfect example in the thread in which he`s been slated by everyone, as much as I don`t want it to happen, a good dose of relegation might be good for the children!

I don't know about that. Surely all of these \"brainless kids that have known nothing but success\" would have been calling for O'Driscoll's head during that lengthy run without a win.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 25, 2012, 07:47:38 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
DP nearly always seemed to make an effort with the fans. It always made me feel that bit better, its not much to expect.

I can understand Deano being upset, or on other occasions making effort to make contact with players at the end of the game, but its not good enough IMO. Whatever else is happening within the club, the long term is what matters, and that means making EVERY effort to get fans on board, making it feel like a club with a heart.

Its not just down to the manager though, it should be at least 10% of the job of the Chief Exec to look at all aspects of club interaction with fans with an aim of continued improvement.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 25, 2012, 08:01:27 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"Chris\" post=229499

I don't know about that. Surely all of these \"brainless kids that have known nothing but success\" would have been calling for O'Driscoll's head during that lengthy run without a win.

Have a look back at this forum 6 months ago. They were.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 25, 2012, 08:05:50 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"Donnybax\" post=229491
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=229445

True but at Swansea he clapped properly and that was a horror display with no team. Besides just because SOD didnt do it often does that make it ok for Saunders not to clap us NO.

I have no problem whatsoever with managers clapping us or not after a defeat. I don't want them to to be honest. I can remember being at Darlington the year we won the title, we got beat the players and Penney came over at the end, and got booed and abused..

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 25, 2012, 08:07:55 pm by Donnybax »
well il be honest i travelled for many hours to watch a defeat, i wouldnt mind being appreciated tbh

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 25, 2012, 08:18:11 pm by Chris »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=229506
Quote from: \"Chris\" post=229499

Have a look back at this forum 6 months ago. They were.

Not to the extent of the criticism of Saunders. In fact, a day or two before O'Driscoll was sacked there was a poll on here where c.90% of respondents were behind O'Driscoll.

I was also at the last two away games of O'Driscoll's management and I don't recall hearing any anti-O'Driscoll shouts.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 25, 2012, 08:32:57 pm by dickos1 »
6 months into sods reign the outcry was just as bad, people wanted him out. Remember the Walsall at home or the Yeovil away. The treatment of him was ridiculous as is the case now with Saunders

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 25, 2012, 08:40:47 pm by redwine »
I really don't get this whole.....\"ooh I'm upset if the players/management don't respond to the effort I've made to watch/support the team\"

I do it because I want to, not for any acceptance by the employees of the club.

Then again, I've always been different :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 25, 2012, 08:47:45 pm by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"danrover82\" post=229493

The goalposts have certainly moved a little since he was appointed to not only save us from the drop but guide us to the Premiership with the most exciting era we have witnessed.

As it stands I do think he gets a bit of a hard time given that he's managing a ridiculous strategy for which he is probably not ultimately accountable. It would be fairer to judge him if he built his own team under more conventional circumstances, but for me he doesn't help himself with some of his comments in the press. He is all too quick to berate a section of players for their losing mentality and lack of ability, yet he has brought in a number of players that it would appear he deems not good enough to take their places. We signed them in supposedly good faith, we pay them, yet they sit on the sidelines while Saunders blames a select group that he inherited (perhaps not the best way of fostering a good spirit). I'm not sure I have ever heard any self reflection or humility from him and there have been times where he has seemingly made some poor tactical choices.

Maybe he doesn't want to manage this situation, but he hasn't been very clear in articulating what he does want and that can be frustrating. I'm not surprised people are questioning what's going on, and that applies to a lot of people that are better placed to judge than I am anymore.

retford rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 26, 2012, 12:07:07 am by retford rover »
it was not just the management, very few of the players acknowledged the fans yesterday,  the Rovers fans at Southampton were excellent up to the 2nd goal going in , and certainley backed the team  and helped create a great atmosphere, also lets see if Dean drops one of the players responsible for the 2 goals yesterday, as he did with Sam and Locky after the Leeds game,,    think not........

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 26, 2012, 04:20:18 am by Standanista »
Look, if there weren't comments like these on this board, pissed off, it'd show nobody gave a toss.  Course we give a toss, and we're rightly well f**ked off with what's likely to happen come end of the season.  We're human beings with a passion for the club.  Deano is a human being, Welsh or not (I'm allowed to make such racial slurs given my grandad was Lllewelyn Cyril Pugh, Denaby and Cadeby pits), and obviously Saunders hates getting beat like the rest of us.  Give the man some slack, if he went around the ground smiling and waving like Mike f**king Yarwood after getting beat 2-0 I'd be worried, if he shows a bit of human weakness now and again and storms off with ne'er even a nod to the tea lady, well, that's human nature and shows getting beat hurt him as much as it hurt the rest of us.  Bremner would have done the same except he'd have laid out Dave Bentley on the way from  the dugout then kept the squad in the painted-brick dressing room for five hours for a session that would have made Sir Alex's supposed hairdryer treatment seem like one of them battery-powered face fans that you get off Mexborough market.

This is football, some folk have been watching too much Sky Sports and listening to too much John Motson.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 26, 2012, 08:22:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

That`s the problem on this forum a lot of the negative posts are by brainless kids that have known nothing but success, Dare to Dream being a perfect example in the thread in which he`s been slated by everyone, as much as I don`t want it to happen, a good dose of relegation might be good for the children![/quote]

Brainless kids? Im sure those singing Saunders out against Millwall werent kids. Just because we are younger than you doesnt make up kids does it? I dont call you mindless oaps? Disrespectfull. Our opinion is the same value as yours. My post yesterday was the truth doesnt mean i dont appreiciate what john Ryan has done in the past does it? I am young but i was going to games while we were in the confrence adn havent just started supporting Rovers isnce they got promted to League 1 like most of the younger people have who support the rovers[/quote]

You're probably not younger than me though, I'm only 24 myself.  Everyone's opinion is the same of course it is, but to be chanting the manager's name one second and then chanting him out because the top of the league have scored a goal against us is frankly pathetic surely anyone can see that?

It appears to me that there are a number who are far too fickle and don't actually think about what they're saying, if anyone thinks a guy's going to acknowledge you when he's had a fair whack of stick then that's frankly wrong.

I'm neither in the Saunders in or out camp and frankly I believe calling for his sacking now is incorrect as his job is nigh on impossible given his financial constraints.  Equally I don't think he's doing quite as good a job as I beleived he was going to particularly after his first few games and then our recent 5 game unbeaten run, but is that his fault?  It's quite easy to blame Saunders but what about players like Coppinger who two weeks ago was superb against West Ham yet in the last 3 games has looked thoroughly disinterested.  I'm more annoyed at those players than the manager.  Saunders has some faults but the guy is trying to create a team spirit and is trying to get them to play how he wants.  In fairness for 50-60 minutes on Saturday we more than matched Southampton and could and should have been ahead, to begin criticising a manager after playing fairly well for so long was unfair IMO.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 26, 2012, 08:59:45 am by sedwardsdrfc »
this whole thread is part of the problem why we dont fill the stadium because any new fan is made to feel like a 2nd class citizen by older people who are by their own admission are so wise and perfect they should know better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012