Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:16:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rift  (Read 1880 times)

Dickie Dido

• Forum Member
Rift
« on March 26, 2012, 11:26:18 pm by Dickie Dido »
After what I heard tonight the problem isn't jealousy amongst the original players. The problem is the new players can't believe the money Odriscoll's old boys are on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Rift
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2012, 11:31:13 pm by RobTheRover »
Erm, you mean lower end championship wages?  Its a good job Willie's lads didnt take the wrong turn off and end up in Leicester or Leeds or Derby.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2012, 11:42:40 pm by BobG »
I do wonder though about John's personal predilection for keeping his 'stars'. Mr Coppinger got a serious raise, and an extension when Ipswich came sniffing. Likewise Mr Stock couldn't be allowed to leave either. There are a goodly number, better players admittedly, who are not on lower end championship wages. Nowhere near. Some of them don't even have relagtion clauses in their contracts. And neither of those things was SOD's doing either.

The issue with McKay's players is the impact they have on the contracted ones. wWuld you like to be Muzzy or Dumbuya or someone else, training hard, only to find somebody flying in from France each week, or getting pissed a lot, to take your place in the side? What good does that do? Where does that leave the club once we're in league 1?

BobG

Dickie Dido

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2012, 11:43:31 pm by Dickie Dido »
OK thanks, I'll give him a piece of my mind when next I see him.

pubteam

« Reply #4 on March 26, 2012, 11:43:32 pm by pubteam »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=229771
Erm, you mean lower end championship wages?  Its a good job Willie's lads didnt take the wrong turn off and end up in Leicester or Leeds or Derby.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

To be fair, that still might be a lot more than some of them are actually worth!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2012, 11:48:07 pm by RobTheRover »
That may well be true too, certainly based on the last weeks' showings.

Bob, Copps' new contract was a question of timing.  As I'm sure you are aware, there is never a better time to negotiate a payrise than when it looks like someone else is ready to offer you a job.  Q E D.  And I'm fully aware of what you are referring to in the \"And neither of those things was SOD's doing either\" bit.  Sentimentality is clearly a weakness at times.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 27, 2012, 01:15:24 am by Akinfenwa »
Well loan players such as Piquionne and Plessis will still be picking up their £30k per week, just not from us.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 27, 2012, 01:16:51 am by Bristol Red Rover »
I don't know about specific cases, but clauses in contracts anywhere are about negotiation. Its more than likely players would have accepted relegation clauses if they were paid more as part of their basic contract. Same goes for release clauses etc. It all amounts to pluses and minuses.

Having said that, just how common are relegation clauses anyway?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 27, 2012, 01:30:31 am by Mr1Croft »
I think it comes down to when the players agreed the contracts. If your in a position where we was in league one, players will accept a relegation clause because they know the odds are low. But when you are predicted to be relegated every year as we have been in the past 4 seasons I can't imagine many are willing to sign a contract if they lose 25% of their wages if they go down.

Personally I think players should be fined on relegation for not carrying out their job properly, might give a few the kick up the jacksie that's needed!

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 27, 2012, 02:30:47 pm by streatham dave »
It is my understanding that this is exactly the sort of thing written into players contracts.

neil grainger

« Reply #10 on March 27, 2012, 03:52:45 pm by neil grainger »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=229784
I think it comes down to when the players agreed the contracts. If your in a position where we was in league one, players will accept a relegation clause because they know the odds are low. But when you are predicted to be relegated every year as we have been in the past 4 seasons I can't imagine many are willing to sign a contract if they lose 25% of their wages if they go down.

Do you speak from a position of experience regarding professional footballers' contracts  or is this just your uninformed personal opinion?

Just wondered.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 27, 2012, 04:00:22 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"neil grainger\" post=229898
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=229784
]I think it comes down to when the players agreed the contracts. If your in a position where we was in league one, players will accept a relegation clause because they know the odds are low. But when you are predicted to be relegated every year as we have been in the past 4 seasons I can't imagine many are willing to sign a contract if they lose 25% of their wages if they go down.

Do you speak from a position of experience regarding professional footballers' contracts  or is this just your uninformed personal opinion?

Just wondered.

Does the bits highlighted answer your question? Of course I'm in uninformed, most people on here are, I have wrote that on the standard concepts of business, would you be more willing to accept a job where you will take a pay cut if you don't hit a target that is unpractical?  Because in effect that is what has happened at the Rovers in the last 4 seasons, the target of staying up has been one that many people in the football world didn't expect to happen.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2012, 04:28:45 pm by Red wizard »
Its the same for teams promoted to the prem. Alot won't sign a player if they don't have a relegation clause written into the contract. Then another team who will offer a deal without it gets the player for round about the same money. The Burnley chairman was on radio the other year saying the player will come its just they don't want the clause in the contract. As for us i would like to think they will all have a clause in there for if we are relegated. After all we have been tipped for the drop every year.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012