Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:00:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Midfield 3  (Read 2080 times)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Midfield 3
« on September 18, 2021, 07:50:14 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
All grafted hard for me today. Up against some big lads in the middle of the park for Morecambe but didn't shy away from the challenge.

Good shift, fellas.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hstripes

• Forum Member
Re: Midfield 3
« Reply #1 on September 18, 2021, 07:58:09 pm by hstripes »
Agreed. Thought they showed their quality on the ball too with some excellent passing interchanges. Just needs to be done higher up the pitch with at least one of them looking to break forward more often. Having opened things up on occasions today they were also let down IMO by a lack of movement in the front 3. Rectify these things and we might start looking more liable to score from open play. The quality IS there in our midfield.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 18, 2021, 09:22:28 pm by ravenrover »
Some of the passes from Close were excellent. 2 or 3 times he found the space behind their left back for the on rushing Rovers player. Thought he had a very good game

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 18, 2021, 09:39:29 pm by drfchound »
Close was very good today.
Obviously our goal came from his corner but two of our other best chances also came from his corners too.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 18, 2021, 09:48:11 pm by andyst79 »
All 3 played well  very tidy on the ball. Smith had a lot of energy. Just lacked a that killer pass but I thought Morecambe defended deap and were hard to break down

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 18, 2021, 10:22:04 pm by danumdon »
I think all three had to put put a shift in today, Close was nice and neat with a good range of passing, id like to think that when the front three get used to the system they will make more and better runs for Close to pick them out.

Ably abetted by Gabraith who again tried to get on the ball and make things happen but was ultimately closed down by a bigger midfield unit, kept going and persevered, will only get better and needs to look for more killer balls forward than side or backwards after some good neat work to create the position

Smith i have mixed feelings about, its obvious he has a talent but in the makeup of our team and specifically in the midfield three something's not quite right, if he's not your typical fetch and carry merchant then he needs to be pushing on and making runs into the box to help out the forwards. What i saw today from him was him going into challenges half heartedly, looked to me like he bottled quite a few, he then played deeper than he needed to be and did not affect the game further up the field, i bit of an inbetweener, neither here nor there.

Would we be better served with having a fit Bostock in place of Smith? which could then allow Close and Galbraith to venture further forward to be more effective?

I would like to see when the right personnel are fit and back for us to go three at the back with Five in midfield to help these three out, because of the makeup of our midfield we will always be under pressure from a big midfield unit, which most teams at this level use, with the additional bodies in there i think our best form of defence is to push on and attack side like Morecambe. Take the pressure of the defence and get the forwards into the game.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 18, 2021, 10:29:21 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Close was good today, very tidy in possession as was Galbraith.

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 18, 2021, 10:34:28 pm by hstripes »
I actually thought Smith was excellent today and showed some real classy touches. He's been criticised a little on here in the past but he's just a young man at a new club making his way in the game. I was very encouraged with his performance today.

"he then played deeper than he needed to be and did not affect the game further up the field" I agree but I think the same thing could be levelled at the other 2 also. I'm assuming they were playing to instruction.

"because of the makeup of our midfield we will always be under pressure from a big midfield unit". Totally agree with this and it's a great point. The midfield have the talent but not the physicality. Against such teams is where Rowe or Gardner as experienced pros need to be in there to help these young lads out.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 18, 2021, 10:37:13 pm by danumdon »
Close was good today, very tidy in possession as was Galbraith.

Yes he was tidy in possession but too deep and not enough through balls to split a defence, i'm aware that the forwards didn't do him many favours with movement and running but if hes happy to play keepball with deep midfielders and the centre backs then we will always be on the back foot. He has it in his locker to do this and make these chances , we just need to see it more.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 18, 2021, 10:39:43 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I actually thought Smith was excellent today and showed some real classy touches. He's been criticised a little on here in the past but he's just a young man at a new club making his way in the game. I was very encouraged with his performance today.

"he then played deeper than he needed to be and did not affect the game further up the field" I agree but I think the same thing could be levelled at the other 2 also. I'm assuming they were playing to instruction.

"because of the makeup of our midfield we will always be under pressure from a big midfield unit". Totally agree with this and it's a great point. The midfield have the talent but not the physicality. Against such teams is where Rowe or Gardner as experienced pros need to be in there to help these young lads out.

Gardener has been signed to make up the numbers. Complete waste of money. Hope he proves me wrong at some point but he's not getting on the pitch enough to do that so far

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 18, 2021, 10:44:00 pm by danumdon »

I think its more constructive criticism, he can be a class player at this level but there should be more coming from him, Wellens made a huge statement in getting him in early and nailing his mast to this type of player, great when it comes off but i feel he needs to produce that extra 25% already and i don't want to see him being second best in challenges all the time. Needs to use his skill and guile further forward.

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 18, 2021, 10:51:56 pm by hstripes »

[/quote]

Gardener has been signed to make up the numbers. Complete waste of money. Hope he proves me wrong at some point but he's not getting on the pitch enough to do that so far
[/quote]

Well so far I can't disagree with you. But the manager, given he knows him quite well as a player, must have some scenarios in mind where he's going to be used I'd hope. Just outlining what I think one of those scenarios might be.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 18, 2021, 10:55:32 pm by Spud »
I couldn't remember Smith having many touches in the first half & was hoping Bostock was gonna replace him at ht. He then effected the game much more in the second half & showed some great touches. Close, I can see why Richie wanted him, steadily improving & has that killer ball in him.
Galbraith is great, full stop.
I still think Bostock is as good as any of them, if he wants it, is he fully fit?

On an aside, Gardner was stripped to come on near the end, wasn't he?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 18, 2021, 10:57:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If we're taking a player on loan it should be because he's better than we can afford at this level (Kane, Sheaf, Wilks, Downing, Richards etc).

I'm really not a fan of the work experience type loans for players who need to improve a lot to be an average L1 player. What do we gain from that arrangement? We've had a few in recent seasons who fit that bill. Can't imagine we couldn't afford a better striker that Cukur for whatever money we contribute to his salary (embarrassingly we probably pay more when he's not starting!). Same goes for Smith.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 18, 2021, 11:04:04 pm by danumdon »
If we're taking a player on loan it should be because he's better than we can afford at this level (Kane, Sheaf, Wilks, Downing, Richards etc).

I'm really not a fan of the work experience type loans for players who need to improve a lot to be an average L1 player. What do we gain from that arrangement? We've had a few in recent seasons who fit that bill. Can't imagine we couldn't afford a better striker that Cukur for whatever money we contribute to his salary (embarrassingly we probably pay more when he's not starting!). Same goes for Smith.

Funny enough i was saying the same to my lad before Cukur came on, we then proceeded to have our best spell of the half with a couple of half chances, someone else said he looked fitter, i think he did.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 18, 2021, 11:06:26 pm by danumdon »
I couldn't remember Smith having many touches in the first half & was hoping Bostock was gonna replace him at ht. He then effected the game much more in the second half & showed some great touches. Close, I can see why Richie wanted him, steadily improving & has that killer ball in him.
Galbraith is great, full stop.
I still think Bostock is as good as any of them, if he wants it, is he fully fit?

On an aside, Gardner was stripped to come on near the end, wasn't he?

I'm sure RW is going half's with his mate with the appearance money for Gardner :)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 18, 2021, 11:46:00 pm by Pancho Regan »
The best game by far from our midfield players so far this season.

They are starting to understand each other and this can only continue to improve.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 18, 2021, 11:51:41 pm by elmsallrover »

sure will be that's why he's only got a one year deal just like Barlow

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 19, 2021, 12:00:12 am by Retdon1 »
Much prefer Bostock in their instead of Smith. Close and Galbraith are class acts

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 19, 2021, 12:02:25 am by Bailey Vickerage »

Gardner was brought in as a squad player the same as Barlow, there will be games this season where his experience in L1 will come in handy and his versatility is good for the squad. He was ready to come on in the last 5-10 mins today when seaman came on but wellens changed his mind, then olowu was ready to come on to kill a bit of time late on but didn’t get the chance to make the sub.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 19, 2021, 01:49:49 am by anton123 »
My only criticism of the midfield today was it seemed like we had 3 CDMs , when we should of had 2 and 1 ACM but that must of been tactical not them personally

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 19, 2021, 10:01:35 am by ravenrover »

Gardner was brought in as a squad player the same as Barlow, there will be games this season where his experience in L1 will come in handy and his versatility is good for the squad. He was ready to come on in the last 5-10 mins today when seaman came on but wellens changed his mind, then olowu was ready to come on to kill a bit of time late on but didn’t get the chance to make the sub.
Olowu was coming on for Rowe after he went down injured, but Rowe said he was OK after treatment

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 19, 2021, 10:54:42 am by adamtherover »
I thought in the 2nd half, as soon as Rowe moved into a more advance position, things started to open up. he's wasted at full back...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 19, 2021, 12:48:46 pm by idler »
I said the same Adam. He offered us so much more.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 19, 2021, 12:56:23 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
I thought in the 2nd half, as soon as Rowe moved into a more advance position, things started to open up. he's wasted at full back...
he was still playing full back was just overlapping a lot more which when everyone is back and they’ve all gelled he will do a lot more as himself and Wellens has said

TinyPortal © 2005-2012