Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:05:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Adam Henshall Hero or villain?  (Read 2816 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Adam Henshall Hero or villain?
« Reply #30 on April 07, 2021, 10:33:23 pm by GazLaz »
And if the models being utilised by clubs like Brentford and Liverpool are so successful, why aren’t rovers using them?  Why do we not have a team of data analysers using Data analytics. Brentford use data and algorithms from Smartodds which is based on the concept of expected goals.
I’m not saying I subscribe to these models, but if they are that effective, why isn’t every club using them?

Plenty of owners stuck in the dark ages, cost, lack of understanding, loads of reasons.

Any model you create for a players can be normalised to goals influenced or some sort of quantifiable figure like that but if you are measuring anything it has to be numerated in one way or another.

Matthew Benham the Brentford owner has made 100s of millions collating data from football matches and finding predictive values from it. If he (and others) can do that to predict team performance, it can be used to predict player (potential) performance.

Obviously there are all the human aspects to go along with this but research on players fitness, attitude, motivation etc can be done like it always has been. It’s not a replacement for all the traditional methods, it accompanies them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 07, 2021, 10:39:06 pm by DonnyOsmond »
And to go back to what you said, stats don't measure attitude, but they assist you in drawing up a shortlist of say 5 players for a position then you can speak to people or the player to find out his attitude. No one is saying those bits don't need doing anymore but the finding players that fit your criteria is easier nowadays.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 07, 2021, 10:44:51 pm by normal rules »
And there inlies the problem. You cannot quantify fitness, attitude and motivation as constants for data analysis purposes. Some of rovers current crop could have been interpreted to be fit, motivated and of the right mindset a few months ago, but what now?
We’ve all seen players deemed unfit in a pre match warm up. Where does that leave analytics?
I’d love to see the expected goal analytics for the current rovers team/players, if they exist
I just don’t subscribe to them. At all.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012