Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 07:52:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Schofield needs to go  (Read 8656 times)

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
Re: Schofield needs to go
« Reply #30 on February 05, 2023, 02:33:19 pm by LincolnDonny »
My car's been performing shite for the last few years. I've tried putting different fuel in, Shell, Esso, Texaco, and even Morrisons but it never seems to make any difference.

I think I might try Tesco next.

But was it the CORRECT fuel you keep getting?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 05, 2023, 03:44:10 pm by redarmi66 »
Maybe all this is a societal issue. We demand, we want, we are entitled to success? More than that we want it yesterday! If it doesnt happen then sack the board, sack the manager, they are all rubbish, oh and cancel the players contracts while you're at it!
Lets get a manager with experience? Well there loads of them kicking around living off 20 minutes of success in 20 years. That guarantees nothing! Get a grip. We are third or four tier club. We are in a dip. We've been here before many times. Give the manager and players 12 -18 months at least to show progress. Then fine try something else.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 05, 2023, 03:54:24 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Maybe all this is a societal issue. We demand, we want, we are entitled to success? More than that we want it yesterday! If it doesnt happen then sack the board, sack the manager, they are all rubbish, oh and cancel the players contracts while you're at it!
Lets get a manager with experience? Well there loads of them kicking around living off 20 minutes of success in 20 years. That guarantees nothing! Get a grip. We are third or four tier club. We are in a dip. We've been here before many times. Give the manager and players 12 -18 months at least to show progress. Then fine try something else.
One of the best answers I’ve ever seen posted.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 05, 2023, 04:09:07 pm by EasyforDennis »
But we are not in a dip. When you are in a dip you can see the other side. We are on a slide with no end in sight.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 05, 2023, 04:10:08 pm by jmt23 »
It’s ridiculous shouting for a managers head this early in his appointment, yes the results are not going our way, but when the dust settles and people pick their toys up, they have to surely agree we have played better football than the opposition for large parts of the last two games - performances are better on the whole. Results are awful and nobody can be happy with those.

The shouts and chants are childish ( to me) and I suspect their is an element of the leaders of this group enjoying this time, and they will probably fuel this further.

Signings!

Some really good signs from each and everyone I saw:

Brown looks like he could better than Knoyle was for us.

Nelson looks to be a good find, confident and assured on the ball, shame he went off - I don’t think they would have scored with him on the pitch.

Lakin the midfielder looked good in his cameo, lively and good movement, need to see more to make any real judgement.

Lavery looked sharp to me, and made endless unseen runs. Occasionally linked up well with Miller, and has better control of the ball than his partner. Miller needs to learn from Lavery and the little runs he makes.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 05, 2023, 04:14:01 pm by LincolnDonny »
All that said we STILL lost against the 3rd bottom club

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 05, 2023, 04:46:43 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Klopp has of course proved his ability. Are you comparing him to Schofield? If everyone was given time, irrespective of their performance we'd still have Liz Truss as PM. Sometimes failure and a lack of the ability to succeed becomes apparent very soon especially when there has been a pattern of hiring a beginner when the club just not have time to risk sinking any lower.

2 years ago we were a win away from topping League 1 and now were are struggling in the lower half of League 2. If in a couple of years' time any of the top 3 or 4 in the PL were to be relegated and be in danger of going down to League 1, no one would be effectively labelling their fans as immature for expecting an urgent remedy.

It may sound like a bit of a joke, but Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 05, 2023, 05:02:22 pm by Bessie Red »
It’s ridiculous shouting for a managers head this early in his appointment, yes the results are not going our way, but when the dust settles and people pick their toys up, they have to surely agree we have played better football than the opposition for large parts of the last two games - performances are better on the whole. Results are awful and nobody can be happy with those.

The shouts and chants are childish ( to me) and I suspect their is an element of the leaders of this group enjoying this time, and they will probably fuel this further.

Signings!

Some really good signs from each and everyone I saw:

Brown looks like he could better than Knoyle was for us.

Nelson looks to be a good find, confident and assured on the ball, shame he went off - I don’t think they would have scored with him on the pitch.

Lakin the midfielder looked good in his cameo, lively and good movement, need to see more to make any real judgement.

Lavery looked sharp to me, and made endless unseen runs. Occasionally linked up well with Miller, and has better control of the ball than his partner. Miller needs to learn from Lavery and the little runs he makes.

Agree with you on Lavery. He was making some great runs but no one could find him. Surely they must work on this in training and should know the runs he's going to make.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 05, 2023, 05:31:10 pm by redarmi66 »
But we are not in a dip. When you are in a dip you can see the other side. We are on a slide with no end in sight.

Depends how big the dip is! and how positive you are. If you think there is no end in sight then for you there isnt! Depends on your mindset. My point is you have to give people time. You cant just keep sacking people every few months. We need some stability. It takes time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:34:37 pm by redarmi66 »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 05, 2023, 05:34:51 pm by Donnybax »
It’s an unpopular opinion but I would keep Schofield. I think a lot of our fans massively overrate our current squad of players. There’s not many of them that would get into a promotion chasing league 2 teams first 11. Probably no more than 3. He has been lumbered with some utter dross and I don’t think anyone would do better. We got some seriously lucky results under Mcsheffrey and I don’t think we’ve fluked a result once under scholfield.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 05, 2023, 05:39:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's alright getting successful managers, but why are successful managers available?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 05, 2023, 06:04:27 pm by Upton Rover »
My car's been performing shite for the last few years. I've tried putting different fuel in, Shell, Esso, Texaco, and even Morrisons but it never seems to make any difference.

I think I might try Tesco next.
Needs a service, just like the club

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 05, 2023, 06:34:25 pm by scawsby steve »

It won't be fine though. If this bunch continue like this for the next 12-18 months, the stadium will be almost empty, then the sustainability goes down the pan.

From what I've heard in the South Stand, and on here, the ST sales in the Summer are going to take a massive hit if things don't drastically alter.

You just can't ignore all this.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 05, 2023, 08:20:58 pm by Upton Rover »
In 18 months we could be well on our way out of the EFL what do we do then? I agree there are lots of folk on here who are expecting far to much, maybe me including, it’s not just how we are playing, it’s a combination of many things that’s leaving a lot very frustrated. It all went wrong when the board were sentimental and appointed Copps then GM it’s not worked, we got rid of GM and stayed with Copps and we are still suffering. I don’t think we will improve and have a manager and all back room staff that have had no connections with the club.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 05, 2023, 08:24:19 pm by streathamdave »
If he wasn't a nice man from Doncaster I'd already be calling for Schofield to go. I'm not quite at that point yet but I'm only a fraction from it. I would love him to succeed both for the club and for himself but the chances of this happening are almost zero. He needs to revert to a straight 4-4-2 till the end of the season. It will give us the best chance to get the points we need to stay up. 1 up top works for some top clubs with very top managers. At the moment we are neither. 5 at the back in this league mainly invites teams onto us. This is a  poor league, one we shouldn't be struggling with this badly. Schofield was the wrong appointment, it was obvious to many of us that it was a risk (at the very least) appointing someone with such little experience but we are where we are. I suspect and hope that Schofield might just about have enough about him to avoid us getting relegated. I don't have great faith in him or his style of play but he might (we need to hope) learn quickly enough for things to improve next season. The problem is I'm not convinced that he or the team around him can spot the right types of players for this club. I'd love to be proved wrong. It won't happen but i'd take Grant McCann back in a heartbeat.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 05, 2023, 08:49:40 pm by redarmi66 »
In 18 months we could be well on our way out of the EFL what do we do then? I agree there are lots of folk on here who are expecting far to much, maybe me including, it’s not just how we are playing, it’s a combination of many things that’s leaving a lot very frustrated. It all went wrong when the board were sentimental and appointed Copps then GM it’s not worked, we got rid of GM and stayed with Copps and we are still suffering. I don’t think we will improve and have a manager and all back room staff that have had no connections with the club.

Well i dont think we are on our way out of the EFL. But if we did then what we will do is come back.just like last time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 11:23:04 pm by redarmi66 »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 05, 2023, 08:55:50 pm by EasyforDennis »
If he wasn't a nice man from Doncaster I'd already be calling for Schofield to go. I'm not quite at that point yet but I'm only a fraction from it. I would love him to succeed both for the club and for himself but the chances of this happening are almost zero. He needs to revert to a straight 4-4-2 till the end of the season. It will give us the best chance to get the points we need to stay up. 1 up top works for some top clubs with very top managers. At the moment we are neither. 5 at the back in this league mainly invites teams onto us. This is a  poor league, one we shouldn't be struggling with this badly. Schofield was the wrong appointment, it was obvious to many of us that it was a risk (at the very least) appointing someone with such little experience but we are where we are. I suspect and hope that Schofield might just about have enough about him to avoid us getting relegated. I don't have great faith in him or his style of play but he might (we need to hope) learn quickly enough for things to improve next season. The problem is I'm not convinced that he or the team around him can spot the right types of players for this club. I'd love to be proved wrong. It won't happen but i'd take Grant McCann back in a heartbeat.

So we get rid of DS. What then?
Who is going to come to a basket case of a club with an owner with no ambition and a make believe budget that isn't enough to bring in any decent players?
 :chair: :chair:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 05, 2023, 08:56:51 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Don’t want to jump to hyperbole about dropping out the EFL but this does bring horrible memories of the poor end to the season under Butler after Moore left. That lead to last season.

Even last season for a large part there was denial that relegation was realistic until it became so obvious that it was inevitable. I want the people that matter to genuinely believe and act as though our EFL future is on the line. We’ve sleep walked this far need to wake up asap!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 05, 2023, 09:03:40 pm by drfchound »
Don’t want to jump to hyperbole about dropping out the EFL but this does bring horrible memories of the poor end to the season under Butler after Moore left. That lead to last season.

Even last season for a large part there was denial that relegation was realistic until it became so obvious that it was inevitable. I want the people that matter to genuinely believe and act as though our EFL future is on the line. We’ve sleep walked this far need to wake up asap!

I said the same thing over and over last season.

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 05, 2023, 11:54:00 pm by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
He needs to go for not being prepared to play a formation which gets the best out of the available resources. Playing 3 central defenders. Wing backs who cannot play the attacking role. Starting RSW every week. Playing a lone striker. It does not work. Fans can see it. Manager too stubborn to change.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 06, 2023, 08:26:09 am by i_ateallthepies »

Well i dont think we are on our way out of the EFL. But if we did then what we will do is come back.just like last time.

Can you see the flaw in that logic, redarmi66?  Last time it happened we had an owner happy to throw money at it to get us out and it still took five seasons.  If we go there again we will be operating as a Sustainable club not prepared to exceed our income.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 06, 2023, 08:26:35 am by Campsall rover »
He needs to go for not being prepared to play a formation which gets the best out of the available resources. Playing 3 central defenders. Wing backs who cannot play the attacking role. Starting RSW every week. Playing a lone striker. It does not work. Fans can see it. Manager too stubborn to change.
To be fair Knoyle and Brown now are more suited to a wing back roles than full backs in a flat back 4
Same probably goes for Maxwell.
The problem is our CB’s are not capable of playing that system effectively. Are they capable of playing in a 2 rather than a 3. That’s the 100 million dollar question. 
I think maybe he has to try it.  Play Anderson and Olowu together.  Can’t play Olowu and Nelson as a pair  as both are left footed but i think Olowu has a reasonable right foot so maybe???

Williams has to be left out.
He started the season well but his form has steadily deteriorated & he has become a liability over the last few weeks.
Can’t head a ball when under pressure, he can’t jump, his timing in the air is awful. When he isn’t under pressure he heads it straight up or sideways more than 50% of the time. He isn’t it would seem capable of using his physicality and his basic defending leaves a lot to be desired.  On top of that he makes at least one blunder in most games usually leading to us conceding a goal.

If we play a flat back 4 then we can bolster the midfield which will help Close and Biggins. So Rowe or Lakin need to come in.  Maybe try Rowe as a holding midfielder in front of our 2 centre backs.

Play Miller and Lavery up front and give Hurst a free role to roam. Pick the spaces and use his ability to go past people and be creative for the front 2.  The system will allow either Close or Biggins to get further forward in turn to create for and support the front players.

Has DS the acumen to change it and get this team performing?  I am really worried. I know he needs time as I keep saying that but where is the improvement.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 06, 2023, 08:37:58 am by DonnyOsmond »
To be fair Knoyle and Brown now are more suited to a wing back roles than full backs in a flat back 4
The problem is our CB’s are not capable of playing that system effectively. Are they capable of playing in a 2 rather than a 3. That’s the 100 million dollar question. 
I think maybe he has to try it.  Play Anderson and Olowu together.  Can’t play Olowu and Nelson as a pair  as both are left footed but i think Olowu has a reasonable right foot so maybe???

He started the season well but his form has steadily deteriorated & he has become a liability over the last few weeks.
Can’t head a ball when under pressure, he can’t jump, his timing in the air is awful. When he isn’t under pressure he heads it straight up or sideways more than 50% of the time. He isn’t it would seem capable of using his physicality and his basic defending leaves a lot to be desired.  On top of that he makes at least one blunder in most games usually leading to us conceding a goal.

If we play a flat back 4 then we can bolster the midfield which will help Close and Biggins. So Rowe or Lakin need to come in.  Maybe try Rowe as a holding midfielder in front of our 2 centre backs.

Play Miller and Lavery up front and give Hurst a free role to roam. Pick the spaces and use his ability to go past people and be creative for the front 2.  The system will allow either Close or Biggins to get further forward in turn to create for and support the front players.

Has DS the acumen to change it and get this team performing?  I am really worried. I know he needs time as I keep saying that but where is the improvement.

Olowu is right footed, he's just been playing on the left.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 06, 2023, 08:50:52 am by Campsall rover »

Olowu is right footed, he's just been playing on the left.
Someone else told me that. I always assumed his left foot was his most natural one. 

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 06, 2023, 10:39:39 am by Reg of the Rovers »
I agree with the sentiment around the sense of entitlement, however we need to remember the club is offering a consumer product - quite an expensive one. So people have a reasonable expectation around value for money and entertainment, watching football is entertainment - for season ticket costs you can have sky sports for the year, or ten or fifteen trips to the cinema or ten or fifteen gigs or theatre trips etc. The reflections on this site at the moment relate to that overall experience - food and drink, environment, and the quality of the entertainment being served up. Maybe we aren't directing our challenge in the right direction, but between the Manager and DoF and Board someone is responsible for delivering a quality product for us all, and at the moment they are failing badly.   

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 06, 2023, 02:13:32 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Perhaps, Reg, the belief of the club leadership is that the level that the club ultimately finds is not particularly important to the diehard supporters who will give their support unflinchingly and that in itself achieves the preservation of the club for the people of Doncaster.  Perhaps.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 06, 2023, 02:31:58 pm by drfchound »
Could that be what was meant with the comment “the club will find its own level”.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 06, 2023, 02:54:08 pm by elmsallrover »
I agree with the sentiment around the sense of entitlement, however we need to remember the club is offering a consumer product - quite an expensive one. So people have a reasonable expectation around value for money and entertainment, watching football is entertainment - for season ticket costs you can have sky sports for the year, or ten or fifteen trips to the cinema or ten or fifteen gigs or theatre trips etc. The reflections on this site at the moment relate to that overall experience - food and drink, environment, and the quality of the entertainment being served up. Maybe we aren't directing our challenge in the right direction, but between the Manager and DoF and Board someone is responsible for delivering a quality product for us all, and at the moment they are failing badly.
the price of my season ticket would get me just short of 19 months free entry to any film at any time with an unlimited card from cineworld

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 06, 2023, 03:17:35 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Could that be what was meant with the comment “the club will find its own level”.

It has to be a possibility, Hound.  As for the sustainability drive (already attained it is now said), I fully support efforts to maximise revenues.  What troubles me though is that the urgency with which it has been pursued has seen cost cutting of things we can all see; the NE corner scoreboard and stadium infrastructure maintenance seemingly suffering neglect.  It does leave me wondering if cost-cutting measures have been implemented around the football operation also.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 06, 2023, 04:12:16 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
Perhaps, Reg, the belief of the club leadership is that the level that the club ultimately finds is not particularly important to the diehard supporters who will give their support unflinchingly and that in itself achieves the preservation of the club for the people of Doncaster.  Perhaps.
And they're right to a point, I started watching with my Dad at about 8yo, I starting bringing my kids when they were about 5/6yo and one way or another I'll keep coming. But I do remember being sat with a lot more folks at Wembley watching the playoff final than stood at BV watching us in the conference. A mate of mine started watching us last year, brought his lad, Mrs and father in law for a few games but then drifted off as it was just so dire and now he goes to Wednesday for odd games.

Point being if 'sustainability' means the only people left are those that carried the coffin, then we will be watching conference football (at best). Actual sustainability requires growth, which means putting something on show that people will come and gladly pay for over-and-over again.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012