Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 08:05:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Spurr on de da wireless  (Read 7626 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Spurr on de da wireless
« Reply #30 on August 02, 2013, 10:50:15 pm by silent majority »
I've posted this elsewhere but all you guys suggesting the club have no ambition and should put their hands in their pockets for even more money should take a look at this and realise we are a small fish in a big pond;

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/
that's not my argument. We should have had him signed up ages ago and not given Blackburn or anyone else for that matter the opportunity to sign him

I've posted this elsewhere but all you guys suggesting the club have no ambition and should put their hands in their pockets for even more money should take a look at this and realise we are a small fish in a big pond;

that's not my argument. We should have had him signed up ages ago and not given Blackburn or anyone else for that matter the opportunity to sign him

When you say ages ago what do you mean? Before the end of the season? Or during the month of July when its customary to do these things? His agent was holding back and looking for an increased deal on an already significant offer making him one of the best paid players we have. PD reckons with that money he can do better. Surely we should trust his judgement.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CraigyBoy

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 02, 2013, 10:51:21 pm by CraigyBoy »
It's ace that we've got back in the championship but poor old rovers are still conference when it comes to behind the scenes. All this nonsense about "mouthwatering signings" - how many times have I heard that one at renewal time?!! And all this silliness around the maybe new investment make the club look like its run by some very very rich but very very lucky and/or stupid people. After all the stuff about the irwt "flow of information" it seems like things haven't changed since god knows when! Now I don't care either way if I get to find out what type of bogroll John Ryan uses, though it sometimes seems like a lot of people want to know, but I think it proper bad to promise a all singing and dancing in rovers we trust when the simplest of info can't be put across without the club looking like a bag of clowns. It's like we go so far......then the old, incompetent rovers raises its head again. I guess we have to face up to the fact our club is just unsustainable and the plaything of some rich guys (who may or may not be very clever). Roll on this season.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 02, 2013, 11:12:09 pm by RedJ »
1) how has it made the owners look silly?
2) IRWT isn't about information flow..
3) nobody promised we'd be signing any specific players did they?
4) we can't help if other clubs offer more money than us because of an agent holding out on us..

Why is it that you always seem as if you have an axe to grind?

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 02, 2013, 11:47:49 pm by redwine »
Shakes head at numptyboy, sorry craigyboy

Of course it's unsustainable and you need to make sure you don't use phrases like proper bad.

WTF does that mean.

As far as I see the expectations raised were exponentially increased here, bet you were w**king at the thought of the investment.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 03, 2013, 12:00:57 am by bobjimwilly »
It's ace that we've got back in the championship but poor old rovers are still conference when it comes to behind the scenes. All this nonsense about "mouthwatering signings" - how many times have I heard that one at renewal time?!! And all this silliness around the maybe new investment make the club look like its run by some very very rich but very very lucky and/or stupid people. After all the stuff about the irwt "flow of information" it seems like things haven't changed since god knows when! Now I don't care either way if I get to find out what type of bogroll John Ryan uses, though it sometimes seems like a lot of people want to know, but I think it proper bad to promise a all singing and dancing in rovers we trust when the simplest of info can't be put across without the club looking like a bag of clowns. It's like we go so far......then the old, incompetent rovers raises its head again. I guess we have to face up to the fact our club is just unsustainable and the plaything of some rich guys (who may or may not be very clever). Roll on this season.

You've obviously not met the men who run our club? They turned the stadium from making a £700k loss to making £200 profit in 9 months for a start - could you do better CraigyBoy?

What info were you expecting during the investment talks?

Monday: Talks are ongoing
Tuesday: Talks are ongoing
Wednesday: Talks are ongoing
Thursday: Talks are ongoing
Fri: Talks are ongoing
Sat: Bollox to it, see Monday...

Fickles fans look back on the "good ol days" at Belle Vue, playing Grimsby in the rain in the bottom league, and say "were'nt it brill" - here we are in the 2nd tier, playing Forest, Wigan, Leeds, Leicester, 4 local derbies, in a multi-million pound stadium, with the club turning a profit and being marketed on a Global Scale, shipping (potentially) thousands of replica shirts around the world, and you have the audacity to call that "incompetent" and run by "stupid" people.

No, you're the stupid one CraigyBoy.

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 03, 2013, 12:14:09 am by Phoenix »

You've obviously not met the men who run our club? They turned the stadium from making a £700k loss to making £200 profit in 9 months for a start - could you do better CraigyBoy?

Fickles fans look back on the "good ol days" at Belle Vue, playing Grimsby in the rain in the bottom league, and say "were'nt it brill" - here we are in the 2nd tier, playing Forest, Wigan, Leeds, Leicester, 4 local derbies, in a multi-million pound stadium, with the club turning a profit and being marketed on a Global Scale, shipping (potentially) thousands of replica shirts around the world, and you have the audacity to call that "incompetent" and run by "stupid" people.

£200 profit is not that impressive.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 03, 2013, 12:19:02 am by drfcsteve »
From the Blackburn Rovers official site:

Referring to the Spurr signing, [Blackburn Chief Exec Derek] Shaw added: “I am extremely surprised that Doncaster have stated that it's a 'multi-million pound' deal, because I can assure our supporters that it is not."

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/a-great-day-of-business-961275.aspx#qzXgc0B5blMYuaTq.99

So who's lying? Us or Blackburn?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 03, 2013, 12:23:47 am by RobTheRover »

£200 profit is not that impressive.

LOL.  Good spot Phoenix.  One "k" missed out and the message isnt quite so strong, eh?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 03, 2013, 01:35:00 am by eastender »
From the Blackburn Rovers official site:

Referring to the Spurr signing, [Blackburn Chief Exec Derek] Shaw added: “I am extremely surprised that Doncaster have stated that it's a 'multi-million pound' deal, because I can assure our supporters that it is not."

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/a-great-day-of-business-961275.aspx#qzXgc0B5blMYuaTq.99

So who's lying? Us or Blackburn?
Neither ...probably Tommy's agent .....Telling porkies about Blackburns offer to try and get a better offer from us.

Of course i could be wrong    ;)

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 03, 2013, 02:33:33 am by Phoenix »
Blackburn won't be paying him a multi million pound wage,he's been signed as back up for Martin Olsson,he will be on bigger wages than he got with us,i can't fault Tommy this has been dragging on for months,the club had it's chance to re-sign him,they didn't,and i don't think it was disloyal to ask for an increase when Blackburn came in for him,he was in a stronger bargaining position,he's give everything while he's been here,He's joined a much bigger club,though not better run,not with Tonky's,Ronky's what is there name it's short for incompetence,which we've shown by losing him,Blackburn have got a very steady left back that will never let them down,six or seven out of ten every week sort of player,a good back up at probably a small wage for them.

Blackburn have actually signed him to replace Martin Olsson, who has signed for Norwich City.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 03, 2013, 02:35:06 am by SkellowRover »
Bramall has blood on his hands.

What, those hands that he puts into his pocket each season to help fund the shortfall?

An owner worth £400m+ should be covering more than the shortfall otherwise it shows a complete lack of ambition on his part. If JR was worth that much i think he would be doing a lot more than covering the shortfal ffs.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 03, 2013, 07:22:05 am by drfc1951 »

What, those hands that he puts into his pocket each season to help fund the shortfall?

An owner worth £400m+ should be covering more than the shortfall otherwise it shows a complete lack of ambition on his part. If JR was worth that much i think he would be doing a lot more than covering the shortfal ffs.

Its so easy to spend other peoples money isnt it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 03, 2013, 08:53:22 am by IDM »
Don't forget folks there are financial fair play rules to follow.  I for one don't fully understand those rules but there are restrictions applied by the FL on what we can spend.

Just a thought...

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 03, 2013, 09:09:37 am by not on facebook »
iam sure some fcuking fcukwits, seem to be as bright as a glow
worms armpit by what they post on here.

or if not the above somebody must be holding a gun to their and
tell them what to post.....call the cops......ne naw ne naw nee naw...

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 03, 2013, 09:29:04 am by roversontheup »

link=topic=241264.msg363643#msg363643 date=1375468572]

[/quote]

IMHO an ambition to build Rovers into a stable, successful football club so that it will be there for Doncaster folk to enjoy for generations to come is a decent ambition.  the fact he is prepared to GIVE some if his own personal wealth in support of that is admirable to me. 
It seems that others feel he should just pump unlimited amounts of his own wealth for an unlimited amount of years into a business which is not sustainable.  I don't want that.  Sorry if some think that means lack of ambition.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 03, 2013, 09:31:25 am by Donnybax »

When you say ages ago what do you mean? Before the end of the season? Or during the month of July when its customary to do these things? His agent was holding back and looking for an increased deal on an already significant offer making him one of the best paid players we have. PD reckons with that money he can do better. Surely we should trust his judgement.
customary to do these things my arse! His contract ran out at the end of June! Just because drfc do it the wrong way doesn't mean to say others do

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 03, 2013, 10:08:22 am by IDM »
What do you mean we do it the wrong way?  Apart from a select few who do have an involvement with the club all the majority of us can do is speculate without access to full facts.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 03, 2013, 10:31:42 am by Filo »
To me, it`s obvious he was holding out for a better deal, the better deal came along, thats life and we move on, lets hope on the 16th when he puts those long throws into our box that his mind is still in hit Rob Jones mode. As steady a left back as he is, I don`t think he`ll be a massive loss to us, we know he`s not the quickest and I would hope when we play them, our wide men run at him at every chance they get

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 03, 2013, 12:05:57 pm by Wellred »

link=topic=241264.msg363643#msg363643 date=1375468572]

IMHO an ambition to build Rovers into a stable, successful football club so that it will be there for Doncaster folk to enjoy for generations to come is a decent ambition.  the fact he is prepared to GIVE some if his own personal wealth in support of that is admirable to me. 
It seems that others feel he should just pump unlimited amounts of his own wealth for an unlimited amount of years into a business which is not sustainable.  I don't want that.  Sorry if some think that means lack of ambition.
[/quote]

What a load of rubbish.

If you look at the bare facts DRFC is not sustainable without the directors putting money in to cover losses.

What some people are saying is how much money are the shareholders prepared to put into the club.

Or put another way. HOW AMBITIOUS ARE THEY.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 03, 2013, 12:21:39 pm by scaley back rover »

[/quote]

ask any man on here that question that is married and he will most likely tell you that his wife finds it very easy to spend his money.

For what its worth Blackburn have a much better chance of promotion than us and will be more than likely payhing spurr alot more money than we could even dream of giving him. Maybe we should/could have sorted out his contract before this but we didnt and like anyone else here who is not secure in employment has taken the offer of secure employment albeit at blackburn

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 03, 2013, 12:51:23 pm by Wellred »
I don't think anyone is blaming Tommy Spurr.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 03, 2013, 01:21:30 pm by roversontheup »
I dont think ambition is as easy to measure as some would have you believe.  We as fans, and JR is a fan remember, perhaps have different measures than rich benefactors or business folk who pump their private wealth into football clubs etc.

I can't speak for TB or DW but if they are prepared to fund Rovers shortfalls so the club remains stable and competitive and most importantly exists for the people of Doncaster to enjoy then why do they deserve criticism?  They may have different ambition to many fans but they do have ambition to maintain the health and stability of Rovers for future generations.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 03, 2013, 01:38:38 pm by Wellred »
I dont think ambition is as easy to measure as some would have you believe.  We as fans, and JR is a fan remember, perhaps have different measures than rich benefactors or business folk who pump their private wealth into football clubs etc.

I can't speak for TB or DW but if they are prepared to fund Rovers shortfalls so the club remains stable and competitive and most importantly exists for the people of Doncaster to enjoy then why do they deserve criticism?  They may have different ambition to many fans but they do have ambition to maintain the health and stability of Rovers for future generations.

But what is the point of that?

Why do you go watch Rovers?
Are you happy with a healthy stable club that is happy with the status quo and doesn't want to go any higher?

I'm not. I want to go and watch my team try to win every game and hopefully get promotion to the premier league.

TB & DW must have taken quite a few risks to get Keepmoat to the level it was when they sold it. Why is it they are not prepared to take any risks with Doncaster Rovers?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:42:01 pm by Wellred »

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 03, 2013, 01:52:30 pm by roversontheup »
Of course I want rovers to win every game and enjoy cup success and promotions BUT as I was always told as a child "I want never gets!"

There are many things I want in life but I cannot afford them without going into crippling debt so I accept that I must settle for less. 

But back to Rovers.  Spending your money is personal choice.  TB involvement with Keepmoat was business. His involvement in Rovers is rather more philanthropic. It isn't for profit is it? I may want him to invest more but yes I do accept his decision not to even though I have to then adjust my Rovers expectations.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012