Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:06:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Young jobless figures treble  (Read 925 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Doncaster Young jobless figures treble
« on August 20, 2012, 12:49:37 pm by roverstillidie91 »
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/doncaster-young-jobless-figures-treble-1-4851002

THE number of jobless youngsters in Doncaster has trebled - in a year.

New Government figures revealed in July 2011, the number of 18 to 24-year-olds claiming job seekers allowance for more than 12 months stood at 175 - but by last month, that leapt to 590.

The largest number of unemployed young people was in Doncaster Central, where the number has gone up from 70 to 220.

The figure in Doncaster North has risen from 65 to 215, while in Don Valley it went up from 40 to 155.

Over the same period, the total number of unemployed people across the borough went up from 10,008 to 10,814.

Young jobless people visiting Doncaster’s Job Centre on Wood Street called for action.

Peter Lewin, aged 21, from Intake, has been unemployed since 2010.

He said: “It is so difficult. There seem to be a lot of companies that want applications on the internet, and that makes it more difficult for you if you don’t have a computer. 
“I’ve put in loads of applications but in most cases, they haven’t got back to me. It does my head in.

“I’m starting a scheme through the job centre in which I will work as a volunteer.

“It is upsetting to be in this position. I just want a job.”

Beth Temperton, aged 20, from Balby, has been out of work for eight months, since losing her job at Cooplands in Doncaster town centre.

She said: “It’s depressing, and it does get to you. I have nothing to do because I have no money and I have no work. All I can do is try to find work, but there is so little out there.

Danny Abell, aged 21, from Warmsworth, lost his temporary warehouse job with Asda Wincanton six months ago.

He said: “It is hard - people say you need experience, but you can’t get a job to get that experience.

“I don’t think people realise how much of a problem unemployment for my age group is, or they would be doing more about it.”

Yasmin Dutton, aged 18, from Wheatley, has recently become unemployed.

She said: “I’m just fed up, because I can’t find anything now. Everyone is asking for experienced workers but I have not got the experience they want.”

Doncaster has seen a string of job losses over the last year, including more than 700 at the council.

Doncaster Central MP Rosie Winterton said young people were paying the price for the Government’s economic failure.

“Long-term youth unemployment has more than trebled in Doncaster in the last year.

“The Government must now wake up to the jobs crisis they’re responsible for and take urgent action.”

A spokesperson for the Department for Work and Pensions said: “This month’s figures showed a fall in youth unemployment and there are fewer young people on Jobseekers Allowance or other temporary support than in May 2010.

But this is still a big challenge and we don’t underestimate it for one moment.

“Over the next three years the Youth Contract will offer nearly 500,000 opportunities for young people through work experience, apprenticeships and wage subsidies to help them find work.”

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DC-

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster Young jobless figures treble
« Reply #1 on August 20, 2012, 05:57:36 pm by DC- »
Tell me about it and I'm not even part of that statistic.

It's only going to get worse too. Betting companies are just waiting for changes in the law to allow one cashier per so many machines. Self service in supermarkets is affecting unemployment rates. Blame technology. At the moment it's making the rich richer, the consumer more frustrated and the redundancies higher in a sector where people need their work to survive, not just to live.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012