Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:10:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Happy St George's day  (Read 1301 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Happy St George's day
« on April 23, 2021, 08:09:41 am by Axholme Lion »
Happy St George's day to all on the forum!  :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Happy St George's day
« Reply #1 on April 23, 2021, 08:48:11 am by Bentley Bullet »
Happy St George's day!  :scarf:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 23, 2021, 09:47:15 am by selby »
  Great weather, a great country, have a great St George's day everyone.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 23, 2021, 10:24:56 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Yes. Happy St George’s day everyone

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 23, 2021, 10:32:05 am by idler »
Happy St. George's day all.
Luckily I got rid of the dragon 25 years ago so I can even have a pint to celebrate later.  ;) :)

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 23, 2021, 11:01:25 am by belton rover »
And Shakespeare Day!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 23, 2021, 02:58:58 pm by wilts rover »
Always make me smile this. St George was a refugee from the middle east who if he was alive today would find himself being very unwelcome in the UK. Pretty much emblematic of modern English values I would say.

Happy St George's Day everyone.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 23, 2021, 03:58:42 pm by selby »
  Comments like that make me smile Wilts, reminds me of pidgeon holes.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 23, 2021, 04:06:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Pancakes came from ancient Greece but we still celebrate pancake day.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 23, 2021, 04:17:52 pm by Pancho Regan »
Pancakes came from ancient Greece but we still celebrate pancake day.

Not to mention Brussels sprouts

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 23, 2021, 10:36:09 pm by roversdude »
Hope we’ve all had a cracking day, not seen too much about it being racist to celebrate St George’s Day thank goodness.
Still don’t know why we don’t celebrate properly

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 24, 2021, 05:41:58 am by GazLaz »
What a load of old codswallop.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 24, 2021, 07:11:24 am by Filo »
It is thought St George never set foot in England, he is also regarded as a Prophet in Islam

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 24, 2021, 07:24:26 am by SydneyRover »
''A survey this month found few English people knew St George's Day was on 23 April and many thought St George was their local pub''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/1939821.stm

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 24, 2021, 08:28:39 am by Bentley Bullet »
It is thought St George never set foot in England, he is also regarded as a Prophet in Islam

Is that why you think it shouldn't be celebrated?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 24, 2021, 08:41:12 am by Filo »

Would you like to show me any evidence of where I have said that, and I mean any evidence, you can search where ever you like, this forum or away from this forum!

I await your unreserved apology for your slanderous remark!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 24, 2021, 08:58:14 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I really don’t understand why, every year, some folk seem determined to lecture others with a particular narrative about St George. Over the years I’ve read comments from the Humanist Society, Politicians and Journalists picking holes in the St George story. For what reason? Is it to inform or is it to score cheap points?

St George was born in Turkey to Greek parents and later joined the Roman army as a Praetorian guard. At the time of his martyrdom Christians were facing extreme violence and persecution hence he’s seen as the ‘protector saint’ for England and many other countries. He probably didn’t arrive in England nor Portugal nor Ethiopia where he’s also the patron saint. So what?

If people don’t care about St George’s day, that’s fine and good luck to them. But don’t criticise those who do wish to celebrate it. It’s very intolerant and anti liberal you know.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 24, 2021, 08:59:16 am by drfchound »

Would you like to show me any evidence of where I have said that, and I mean any evidence, you can search where ever you like, this forum or away from this forum!

Slander is generally deformation of character through the spoken word.
Do you mean libel.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 24, 2021, 09:16:01 am by Bentley Bullet »

It very much sounded like you was expressing reasons why St George's day shouldn't be celebrated. To make sure that was the case, my post was made in the form of a question. As you now have expressed how appalled you are by the mere suggestion of it, even in the form of a question, I can now assume that you think it should be celebrated and that being the case, I apologise for asking you the question.

Hope you had a great St George's day!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 24, 2021, 09:22:29 am by Filo »

It very much sounded like you was expressing reasons why St George's day shouldn't be celebrated. To make sure that was the case, my post was made in the form of a question. As you now have expressed how appalled you are by the mere suggestion of it, even in the form of a question, I can now assume that you think it should be celebrated and that being the case, I apologise for asking you the question.

Hope you had a great St George's day!

Apology accepted

One should never assume a position taken, when someone is just posting what are considered facts on the subject

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 24, 2021, 09:29:44 am by Bentley Bullet »
You're very welcome fellow anglophile! Hope you haven't got too much of a hangover!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 24, 2021, 09:32:53 am by Filo »
For the record, I am a Doncastrian first, Yorkshireman second, Englishman third, and a British Citizen fourth, in my opinion my Nationality is English rather than British

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 24, 2021, 09:35:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
Yep, me too comrade!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 24, 2021, 09:45:10 am by wilts rover »
I really don’t understand why, every year, some folk seem determined to lecture others with a particular narrative about St George. Over the years I’ve read comments from the Humanist Society, Politicians and Journalists picking holes in the St George story. For what reason? Is it to inform or is it to score cheap points?

St George was born in Turkey to Greek parents and later joined the Roman army as a Praetorian guard. At the time of his martyrdom Christians were facing extreme violence and persecution hence he’s seen as the ‘protector saint’ for England and many other countries. He probably didn’t arrive in England nor Portugal nor Ethiopia where he’s also the patron saint. So what?

If people don’t care about St George’s day, that’s fine and good luck to them. But don’t criticise those who do wish to celebrate it. It’s very intolerant and anti liberal you know.

I have no idea if this true or not as I have only read it on the internet but St George was only one of many saints celebrated in Catholic times pre-reformation.

When Henry VIII broke from Rome and especially when Elizabeth took over and they had the 'protestant reformation' ideas and tradions that were seen as 'catholic' were scrapped and the banners and images of the various saints removed from the churches.

However St George was so popular that there was an outcry when the government agents began removing his banners, so they decided to keep them and turn him into the 'national' saint.

So I suppose you coud say that St George is the only national saint who was chosen by the people to be their national saint rather than imposed by the church and government.

If anyone knows of any books that might prove or disprove this I would be grateful.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 24, 2021, 10:07:15 am by SydneyRover »
St George was canonised in AD494, he must have been fairly old when he was crusading.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 24, 2021, 01:13:09 pm by Janso »
They can't have liked him very much if they shot him out of a canon.  :coat:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 24, 2021, 01:28:52 pm by Filo »
They can't have liked him very much if they shot him out of a canon.  :coat:

Part time job between crusades in a Circus

idler