Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:53:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Right of way  (Read 3276 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Right of way
« Reply #30 on May 01, 2021, 03:14:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's all I expected from you Billy boy. A bloke who just admitted he doesn't follow the highway code and instead decides what to do by gesturing tells ME I'D be best writing MY own highway code!

You couldn't make it up!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 01, 2021, 03:15:20 pm by Janso »
At crossroads if you are both turning right you are supposed to pass each other and then turn.

If one driver wants to turn right and the other driver wants to go straight on then the driver who is turning right should wait until the driver going straight has passed.

But a mini roundabout isn't a crossroads?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 01, 2021, 03:19:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Mini-roundabouts are crossroad that have had tits put in the middle!

And it is very apt description to some that use them on here!

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 01, 2021, 03:22:32 pm by Janso »
Mini-roundabouts are crossroad that have had tits put in the middle!

And it is very apt description to some that use them on here!
But that doesn't make them a crossroad! the clue is in the name.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 01, 2021, 03:26:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I used them as an example, just like your leader did!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 01, 2021, 03:27:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 01, 2021, 03:31:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I used them as an example, just like your leader did!

You mentioned crossroads first, no-one else. Post 18 if your memory of this thread is as bad as it is for the Highway Code.

But I'm sure that you won't let it stop you from carrying on arguing the toss even when you're demonstrably wrong, as per usual.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 01, 2021, 03:57:50 pm by Filo »
A roundabout is a roundabout whatever the size, mini roundabouts can be hazardous, the one near Rockware to turn off to Screwfix can be dodgy if you haven’t got your eye out for a potential right turner, approach mini roundabouts with caution

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 01, 2021, 04:00:54 pm by drfchound »
There is at least one accident every week on that one at Clay Lane.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 01, 2021, 04:07:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
There is at least one accident every week on that one at Clay Lane.

Perhaps it's because some people treat it like a crossroads...?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 01, 2021, 04:47:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I used crossroads as an example of road safety procedure, just as BST did after me, but because he is your leader, you simply couldn't question him about it.

The initial question was about two drivers arriving at the mini roundabout at the same time and with both vehicles to the right of each other. If in that situation, it was a normal roundabout it would be highly likely that both drivers could proceed the roundabout at the same time without interfering with each other. 

If it was a mini-roundabout, the situation would be more precarious and I would expect the driver turning right to give precedence to the driver going straight on, thus not crossing its path.

That's what I would do anyway. It is defensive driving, not offensive.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 01, 2021, 05:01:31 pm by Janso »
I used crossroads as an example of road safety procedure, just as BST did after me, but because he is your leader, you simply couldn't question him about it.

The initial question was about two drivers arriving at the mini roundabout at the same time and with both vehicles to the right of each other. If in that situation, it was a normal roundabout it would be highly likely that both drivers could proceed the roundabout at the same time without interfering with each other. 

If it was a mini-roundabout, the situation would be more precarious and I would expect the driver turning right to give precedence to the driver going straight on, thus not crossing its path.

If you search the term crossroad on the first page of the thread, you're the first person to use it. So it was nothing to do with my supposed "leader". You're incredibly childish for someone I gather is a senior citizen.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 01, 2021, 05:04:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Agreed about the defensive driving BB. But the bigger onus is certainly on the driver going straight on. If they think they have right of way, and drive accordingly, they are the one legally in the wrong, whereas if the driver turning right assumes they have the right of way, they are legally correct.

The crossroads example I gave before is one where the layout of the road is such that it is physically impossible for two cars both turning right to pass offside to offside. So it is one of those cases where it is simply not possible to have a rule, and eye contact and a mutual decision has to take precedence. I don't understand why you have got so irate about that.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 01, 2021, 05:23:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

BST wasn't the one making a stupid comparison. You were, and you did it without prompting from anybody else. And you can shove your pathetic 'he's your leader' shit back in the orifice it came out of. But don't forget to clean your teeth afterwards.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 01, 2021, 05:36:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Temper temper, Mr Wiggerly. Just because you've made an arse of yourself.

Again!

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 01, 2021, 05:57:08 pm by keith79 »
Where is this roundabout?

Do you know York?
no pal. I have nothing to ad to this. I just carry on reading the comments.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 01, 2021, 06:14:36 pm by selby »
  Same as any other roundabout give way to traffic from your right. if you don't do that in Snaith and between Saith and Rawcliffe chances are a bloody great articulated lorry that cant negotiate those two mini roundabouts with ease will smack you, just saying.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 01, 2021, 06:33:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Temper temper, Mr Wiggerly. Just because you've made an arse of yourself.

Again!

As absolutely nobody else in this thread agrees with you, the rest of us are already quite well aware of who's made an arse of themself.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 01, 2021, 07:02:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Safety in numbers eh, Mr Weewee! Do you honestly think I'm intimidated by you or your leader? More to the point, do you feel more convinced that you're right just because your great leader has once again turned up to defend you?

Does that give you some sort of 'right of way?'

Silly sausage!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 01, 2021, 07:29:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Safety in nunbers?

No, quite the reverse. Isolation in wrongness.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 01, 2021, 07:33:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
but you're not isolated in wrongness. You've got your great leader standing up for you!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 01, 2021, 07:59:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Agreed about the defensive driving BB. But the bigger onus is certainly on the driver going straight on. If they think they have right of way, and drive accordingly, they are the one legally in the wrong, whereas if the driver turning right assumes they have the right of way, they are legally correct.

The crossroads example I gave before is one where the layout of the road is such that it is physically impossible for two cars both turning right to pass offside to offside. So it is one of those cases where it is simply not possible to have a rule, and eye contact and a mutual decision has to take precedence. I don't understand why you have got so irate about that.

If the driver going straight approaches the roundabout first he has got the right of way.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 01, 2021, 08:41:10 pm by roversdude »
Ivanhoe junction is getting terrible

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 01, 2021, 10:33:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

If the driver going straight approaches the roundabout first he has got the right of way.
No. He has not. There's no argument about this. You are wrong according to the law.

I get that you believe that the driver going straight on SHOULD have right of way. But he doesn't. Full stop.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 01, 2021, 10:59:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
YES HE HAS! If a driver is first to the roundabout there is no reason why they have to wait for another car to approach it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 01, 2021, 11:01:50 pm by SydneyRover »
''On reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights. Check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed but still look to the right before joining''

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 01, 2021, 11:07:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If you are the only motorist actually at a roundabout you have priority over motorists not at the roundabout. People thinking they have the right of way because they are on the right of someone actually at a roundabout are only within their rights if they themselves are actually on the roundabout!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 01, 2021, 11:09:27 pm by SydneyRover »
If you are the only motorist actually at a roundabout you have priority over motorists not at the roundabout. People thinking they have the right of way because they are on the right of someone actually at a roundabout are only within their rights if they themselves are actually on the roundabout!

see above quote taken directly from the highway code, not the code according to bently batshit but the highway code

https://www.reddrivingschool.com/learners/how-do-i-do-it/highway-code/rules-of-the-roundabout/#:~:text=On%20reaching%20the%20roundabout%20you,to%20the%20right%20before%20joining.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 01, 2021, 11:14:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Syderney, If you are on a roundabout and see someone 20 yards down the road approaching the roundabout, you have the right of way.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 01, 2021, 11:17:37 pm by SydneyRover »
Would you like to bet against what the highway code says bb?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012