Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:15:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This team. This manager. This club.  (Read 2603 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
This team. This manager. This club.
« on February 17, 2019, 08:15:08 am by PDX_Rover »
I was just watching the extended highlights of the Rochdale game on New Year’s Day and several things stood out. First of all, it’s fantastic to be able to see games live online. I’ve missed that...

Anyway, we won 5-0 but it could have easily been double that score. It was almost cruel, watching the confidence, the determination, the movement, the work rate, the skill and the tempo all come together, along with that little extra quality that marks out a real team who know exactly what they are doing as a unit, the knowing where your team mates are. It’s nothing tangible, but it’s a rare thing in my eyes.

We’ve not seen a team of this quality in my opinion since peak O’Driscoll. But I think this team is arguably better (or has the potential to be) because, as has been discussed before, they have the steel and incisiveness of Penney’s side. We can mix it up when we need to.

This truly is a team that, if it can be kept together, can really grow into something very special.

We’ve got two very capable keepers. Yes they have their areas to improve but I think there’s a lot there to work with. Jones is also highly rated.

Defensively we have improved immensely over the course of the season. We all know the personnel. Butts has been great. Joe Wright has a very bright future. Big Tom has been a revelation. Assured and can play. Loses little aerially. Downing has slotted in well too. Danny Andrew is developing into a very good player. We badly missed him. It’s sad about Mason as he was very solid and developing too, but Aaron Lewis has slotted in easily and Matty Blair has really grown into that role and added some steel to his play.

In midfield we are blessed. Whiteman is having a superb season and he anchors that midfield brilliantly. Strong in the tackle, rarely wastes a pass and scores too. Copps is Copps. Legend. End of. Still got it in spades. He’s evergreen.

Ali Crawford - some player - gets stuck in. Almost like Bremner but with a smattering of Jimmy Johnstone... clever player too. He’s got it all and GM was absolutely right about him once he was fit he’d light up the division.

And then Herbie. He’s not ours tragically and it’s obvious if he continues his trajectory he’s England quality. I hope we can secure him for next season if he’s not knocking on the door of Liverpool’s first team. Obviously loves it here.

Sadlier - could fill Copps’ shoes potentially. Obviously bags of talent and getting up to speed and fitness. There will never be another Copps but you know what I mean I hope...

Wilkes - what struck me about the Rochdale game was how many times he got the ball near the touchline, with several players around him, and managed to muscle his way into a position to do some damage. He’s incredibly strong and has good feet. His game has matured I think. Another one who would be good to secure for next term.

Alfie May - toughed it out. Applied himself. And possibly the most improved player overall. I really like him. I hope he continues his progress.

And then there’s John. The nomad who found a home and made it his own. Absolutely top man. I had a chat with him in the bar after the Oxford game and very down to earth. Very astute young man. Appreciates what he has going for him at Rovers. A very intelligent player I think. One of the hardest working players I’ve seen. A player you’d hate to play against. Done the business this season at a higher level. Top scorer. He might leave in the summer but I hope he doesn’t. Even if we don’t go up this year, he’d be central to our plans for next year whatever. There are bound to be offers. Stay where you are and push to get to the next level in a relationship where you are pivotal and loved and improving, or go to a bigger stage where you start over and there are no guarantees. A tough one. He’s phenomenal. Remember when we were crying out for our 20 a season striker? I do. It was painful.

And what can you say about Grant McCann? Understands the game, has very sound tactical nous. His game management has inproved over the season as the system is understood. Tough but fair I think. What’s not to love about the guy? He’s potentially the best manager I’ve seen at Rovers because in my mind he plays to game the right way. Skillful, incisive, decisive, attacking, yet tough and aggressive. And methodical.

I’m loving it all over again for the first time since peak SOD. Yes, there have been some fantastic highlights but I never felt Saunders, Dickov or Ferguson were the real deal. Grant McCann is the real deal.

And you have to be thankful about who is running the club. They’ve done right by me and they’re starting to deliver what they felt they could.

It feels good again. I’m excited on Saturdays again. I lost that under the previous three managers. We’ve got a f**king gem now.

I’m in love again. And it’s good.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:33:21 am by PDX_Rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
Re: This team. This manager. This club.
« Reply #1 on February 17, 2019, 08:23:02 am by Wiltshire Exile »
I was just watching the extended highlights of the Rochdale game on New Year’s Day and several things stood out. First of all, it’s fantastic to be able to see games live online. I’ve missed that...

Anyway, we won 5-0 but it could have easily been double that score. It was almost cruel, watching the confidence, the determination, the movement, the work rate, the skill and the tempo all come together, along with that little extra quality that marks out a real team who know exactly what they are doing as a unit, the knowing where your team mates are. It’s nothing tangible, but it’s a rare thing in my eyes.

We’ve not seen a team of this quality in my opinion since peak O’Driscoll. But I think this team is arguably better (or has the potential to be) because, as has been discussed before, they have the steel and incisiveness of Penney’s side. We can mix it up when we need to.

This truly is a team that, if it can be kept together, can really grow into something very special.

We’ve got two very capable keepers. Yes they have their areas to improve but I think there’s a lot there to work with. Jones is also highly rated.

Defensively we have improved immensely over the course of the season. We all know the personnel. Butts has been great. Joe Wright has a very bright future. Big Tom has been a revelation. Assured and can play. Loses little aerially. Downing has slotted in well too. Danny Andrew is developing into a very good player. We badly missed him. It’s sad about Mason as he was very solid and developing too, but Aaron Lewis has slotted in easily and Matty Blair has really grown into that role and added some steel to his play.

In midfield we are blessed. Whiteman is having a superb season and he anchors that midfield brilliantly. Strong in the tackle, rarely wastes a pass and scores too. Copps is Copps. Legend. End of. Still got it in spades. He’s evergreen.

Ali Crawford - some player - gets stuck in. Almost like Bremner but with a smattering of Jimmy Johnstone... clever player too. He’s got it all and GM was absolutely right about him once he was fit he’d light up the division.

And then Herbie. He’s not ours tragically and it’s obvious if he continues his trajectory he’s England quality. I hope we can secure him for next season if he’s not knocking on the door of Liverpool’s first team. Obviously loves it here.

Sadlier - could fill Copps’ shoes potentially. Obviously bags of talent and getting up to speed and fitness. There will never be another Copps but you know what I mean I hope...

Wilkes - what struck me about the Rochdale game was how many times he got the ball near the touchline, with several players around him, and managed to muscle his way into a position to do some damage. He’s incredibly strong and has good feet. His game has matured I think. Another one who would be good to secure for next term.

Alfie May - toughed it out. Applied himself. And possibly the most improved player overall. I really like him. I hope he continues his progress.

And then there’s John. The nomad who found a home and made it his own. Absolutely top man. I had a chat with him in the bar after the Oxford game and very down to earth. Very astute young man. Appreciates what he has going for him at Rovers. A very intelligent player I think. One of the hardest working players I’ve seen. A player you’d hate to play against. Don’t the business this season at a higher level. Top scorer. He might leave in the summer but I hope he doesn’t. Even if we don’t go up this year, he’d be central to our plans for next year whatever. There are bound to be offers. Stay where you are and push to get to the next level in a relationship where you are pivotal and loved and improving, or go to a bigger stage where you start over and there are no guarantees. A tough one. He’s phenomenal. Remember when we were crying out for our 20 a season striker? I do. It was painful.

And what can you say about Grant McCann? Understands the game, has very sound tactical nous. His game management has inproved over the season as the system is understood. Tough but fair I think. What’s not to love about the guy? He’s potentially the best manager I’ve seen at Rovers because in my mind he plays to game the right way. Skillful, incisive, decisive, attacking, yet tough and aggressive. And methodical.

I’m loving it all over again for the first time since peak SOD. Yes, there have been some fantastic highlights but I never felt Saunders, Dickov or Ferguson we’re the real deal. Grant McCann is the real deal.

And you have to be thankful about who is running the club. They’ve done right by me and they’re starting to deliver what they felt they could.

It feels good again. I’m excited on Saturdays again. I lost that under the previous three managers. We’ve got a f**king gem now.

I’m in love again. And it’s good.

Brilliant, PDX_R. Totally agree!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 17, 2019, 08:34:06 am by NickDRFC »
Good post and perfectly typifies the mood around the place at the moment. But I think it’s getting carried away to compare with peak O’Driscoll. That team was regularly competing against, and outplaying, too Championship sides, and doing so with a fantastic style of football. Really like what I’ve seen of McCann so far and long term do I think he has the potential to emulate those achievements? Possibly, yes, but too early to say - right now let’s just enjoy how well we’re doing at the moment.

epworth red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 17, 2019, 08:39:49 am by epworth red »
Great post PDX  :rtid:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 17, 2019, 08:44:29 am by drfchound »
Great post PDX.
I got up this morning and the first thing I thought of was the game.
Opened the curtains to a beautiful morning.
Got my cuppa and decided to catch up on the overnight news and posts on here.
Your post is terrific mate and has knocked my ROVCON level up a notch.
Butterflies moving around already.
Can’t wait to get to the KM now.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 17, 2019, 08:51:57 am by ChrisBx »
Brilliant. What strikes me from the interviews with the players, particularly Copps and John Marquis, is that they view the club as much more than just an income. The players seem to buy into everything the club stands for and genuinely seem to want to stick around.

Markem

« Reply #6 on February 17, 2019, 09:12:51 am by Markem »
Great Post!  :rtid:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 17, 2019, 09:44:18 am by hoolahoop »
Some are starting to compare this team with the early teams that SOD put together . I don't think they are the finished article yet but the strike force is every bit if not more effective than we had then . They are more incisive and harder to read from an opposition's perspective and little of the 15 - 30 touch " trying to walk the ball into the net " football is on show. It's faster , direct and on target hopefully the players carry on with more of the same today from the off.
Great post btw.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 17, 2019, 09:44:36 am by Red wizard »
Great post. I hardly get to games now and it's hard reading on here how good we are. Just need to get the habit of going back and money of corse.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 17, 2019, 09:49:44 am by hoolahoop »
Some are starting to compare this team with the early teams that SOD put together . I don't think they are the finished article yet but the strike force is every bit if not more effective than we had then . They are more incisive and harder to read from an opposition's perspective.  Little of the 15 - 30 touch " trying to walk the ball into the net " football is on show but faster , direct and on target hopefully the players carry on with more of the same today from the off
Great post PDX.
I got up this morning and the first thing I thought of was the game.
Opened the curtains to a beautiful morning.
Got my cuppa and decided to catch up on the overnight news and posts on here.
Your post is terrific mate and has knocked my ROVCON level up a notch.
Butterflies moving around already.
Can’t wait to get to the KM now.

I haven't felt like this about a game for a long time. ROVCON is right up there now 6:11 to kick- off

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 17, 2019, 09:57:51 am by adamtherover »
Some are starting to compare this team with the early teams that SOD put together . I don't think they are the finished article yet but the strike force is every bit if not more effective than we had then . They are more incisive and harder to read from an opposition's perspective and little of the 15 - 30 touch " trying to walk the ball into the net " football is on show. It's faster , direct and on target hopefully the players carry on with more of the same today from the off.
Great post btw.
i disagree about the strike force bit tbh honest, we were immense up till the penno area, but won a lot of games by the odd goal.  This team has goals all.over the park, john isn't left to shoulder the burden, malik and Alfie both in double figures, the midfield doing their fair share.  If we concede early these days, is anyone actually worried..   nope as we are scoring at least 2 every game.  Then GM bring on 2 strikers in the second half..   awesome!!

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 17, 2019, 10:16:03 am by ridgewoodrover »
A great article, just about sums up my thoughts, I just wish we’d get more people watching , but with the standard of football on show it’s got to increase surely.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 17, 2019, 10:32:17 am by pib »
Not sure we’ve reached the peak SOD days as others have said, but can’t disagree that there’s something about McCann that really stands out. It feels like he’s got all aspects of the club really firing and is on the verge of building something fantastic. Not bad for a bloke that some people accused of being a “yes man” over the budget in the summer.

Personally I think we will lose Marquis in the summer (read his latest DFP interview) but the commitment he is showing to the cause while he is here has never waivered. He’ll be an all time favourite because he never stops, the man is relentless, and he clearly “gets it” - he buys into what DRFC is all about. Helps that he knows where the onion bag is and all like.

Whiteman might go too. But I’m philosophical about players leaving  - we’ve replaced top players before and I’m sure we’ll do it again. I’m confident that McCann won’t be caught out if that happens and will know what he’s doing.

Thanks for such a heartfelt post PDX because it resonates even if I don’t necessarily agree with every detail. McCann seems a top bloke and a proper manager who has really galvanised the whole place. I’m not sure how he’s done it (other than results and style of football) but he’s made it feel like everyone is fully on board again and pulling in the same direction.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 17, 2019, 01:56:04 pm by graingrover »
skill n Guts n ambition n team work n threads like this on Vikings forum ,, Win Win ,

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 17, 2019, 02:39:09 pm by PDX_Rover »
Good post and perfectly typifies the mood around the place at the moment. But I think it’s getting carried away to compare with peak O’Driscoll. That team was regularly competing against, and outplaying, too Championship sides, and doing so with a fantastic style of football. Really like what I’ve seen of McCann so far and long term do I think he has the potential to emulate those achievements? Possibly, yes, but too early to say - right now let’s just enjoy how well we’re doing at the moment.

I hear ya. It’s all potential as I said. SOD undoing was his lack of a plan B. McCann, IMO, has that in his locker. I think he reads games better and knows what to change. And when.

It’s all opinions anyway and the op was mine. The joy is back for me. Simple as that.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2019, 07:56:57 am by Avsuptem »
I totally agree that the joy is back. And that we have an excellent set up all round, the best in my living memory which is not to detract from the achievements of JR without whom we would be God knows where. But, how long will this sentiment last ? Fatty Evens already sacked by Posh despite having topped the table for much of the season, some Pompey fans already heaping opprobrium on Kenny Jacket due to their run of poor results. Football can be so cruel and fans so fickle, heaven forbid that this happens to us.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 18, 2019, 11:02:58 am by bobjimwilly »
100% agree with the OP. Well written Sir!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 18, 2019, 04:41:51 pm by PDX_Rover »
I totally agree that the joy is back. And that we have an excellent set up all round, the best in my living memory which is not to detract from the achievements of JR without whom we would be God knows where. But, how long will this sentiment last ? Fatty Evens already sacked by Posh despite having topped the table for much of the season, some Pompey fans already heaping opprobrium on Kenny Jacket due to their run of poor results. Football can be so cruel and fans so fickle, heaven forbid that this happens to us.

Nothing is forever is it? But I think the progress made this season, and give credit to Darren Ferguson here too for some of the changes made, is really positive. Of course, players will leave, etc etc., but right now, I'm loving my club again. The giddy excitement is back. I want the next game to be now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012