Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:09:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: In light of B Johnson’s announcement  (Read 2608 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
In light of B Johnson’s announcement
« on March 23, 2020, 10:52:27 pm by phil old leake »
Does the football season finishing matter

Personally I’d just stop it now.

Priorities are the safety of us all not football

In the great span of things it’s an irrelevance

We can all start again next year hopefully

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: In light of B Johnson’s announcement
« Reply #1 on March 23, 2020, 11:46:52 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Not sure how stopping the season helps anything.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 23, 2020, 11:57:33 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Does the football season finishing matter

Personally I’d just stop it now.

Priorities are the safety of us all not football

In the great span of things it’s an irrelevance

We can all start again next year hopefully

No, it doesn't matter at all

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 24, 2020, 12:48:04 am by andysly »
At some point in the future football will start again, whether it's 3 months, 6 months or next year, so to my mind it may as well resume where it left off.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 24, 2020, 01:24:06 am by PDX_Rover »
Yes. Have to finish the season. The alternative is chaos. And really not that many games left.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 24, 2020, 06:46:48 am by aidanstu »

At some point in the future football will start again, whether it's 3 months, 6 months or next year, so to my mind it may as well resume where it left off.

In my view; whilst I agree that finishing the leagues would be the right option I don’t believe it’s going to be possible.

I genuinely think that football will not be back to any realm of normality until August 2021. I dont even think that competitive games will start before then; unless the FA move the domestic calendar to commence a lot later than August 2020.

If the league is to be finished I think it will commence again in what would be the 2020/21 season and there won’t be a full 20/21 season as such. This way most if not all European leagues will be able to complete their seasons and it won’t impact on this years European competitions.

I think this is the most likely option.

Next years champions league

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 24, 2020, 06:50:35 am by DRNaith »
I don't care what happens, however I think it's necessary to point out that finishing of this season CAN impact on the start date of next season without it being a major issue.

That may allow the remaining games to be played at a point when gatherings of more than two are once again permitted.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 24, 2020, 07:04:34 am by aidanstu »
I don't care what happens, however I think it's necessary to point out that finishing of this season CAN impact on the start date of next season without it being a major issue.

That may allow the remaining games to be played at a point when gatherings of more than two are once again permitted.

How? We already have a very congested calendar for this season and next?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 24, 2020, 07:39:05 am by DearneValleyRover »
Football isn’t a priority but when it does start again the season at present would have to be finished however the biggest problem to that is how many clubs not surviving by the time football can be played again

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 24, 2020, 07:40:50 am by phil old leake »
I can’t believe that people are so obsessed with finishing the season. I love the game and before I moved I was home and away.
As obsessed as I was I really don’t see the issue with terminating the season
I realise there will be a financial impact on clubs but there’s financial impact on other companies which clubs are

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 24, 2020, 07:41:46 am by NickDRFC »
Phil, you’ve posted a few times that you’d just cancel the league and also several times that it needs resolving now. Why exactly does it need resolving now? Why can’t the authorities continue to plan for various scenarios of differing degrees of severity (which I expect they’re doing now) and only make a decision when it’s totally necessary? There are far, far more important things to think about right now and it’s only really when players’ contracts are up (still a few months away) that a decision will really be needed. Hopefully with the help announced from the government the lower league clubs can ride it out for as long as it takes.

I mentioned on another post, though, that I think cancelling the season would be unfair. Given how much of it has already been played out, every effort should be made to finish this one at the expense of next season (or even the next few). Future seasons where nothing has been competed for yet should be the ones to be compromised.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 24, 2020, 07:47:55 am by phil old leake »
You’ve answered it yourself when you say there are far more important things to think about than football

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 24, 2020, 07:48:31 am by phil old leake »
At the end of the day it’s just my opinion to get a bit of debate going

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 24, 2020, 08:18:58 am by IDM »
If there are far more important things to think about, why raise the post.?

Ideally the current season should finish despite the elongated pause, and the real decision is the delay or postponement of next season.

I made a suggestion last week on how a new season could be played out using groups within each division..

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 24, 2020, 08:27:04 am by coventryrover »
Finish the season.    No cup comps next season, or only facup

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 24, 2020, 08:28:40 am by DRNaith »

How? We already have a very congested calendar for this season and next?

Next season can be started later than planned. Things can be offset, even for more than a season if it supports a recovery

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 24, 2020, 10:05:28 am by silent majority »
People are not reading my post on player contracts, because the information is here;

At an emergency meeting that took place between officials from all 20 Premier League clubs on 19 March 2020, it was decided that the 2019/2020 Premier League season will be extended “indefinitely” (with the EFL and The FA (with The FA Cup) following suit).

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 24, 2020, 10:55:42 am by RoversAlias »
That doesn't really say much though, does it? And they can always change their minds especially if a suitable arrangement on the issue of expiring  contracts isn't found.

The truth is we're probably a while away from any concrete decision on it.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 24, 2020, 11:47:16 am by Colemans Left Hook »
That doesn't really say much though, does it? And they can always change their minds especially if a suitable arrangement on the issue of expiring  contracts isn't found.

The truth is we're probably a while away from any concrete decision on it.

i think the government will have to pass an act of parliament regarding sporting ? contracts where the corona virus has prevented  both (or even one party) parties to the contract from fulfilling "their rights and obligations of the contract."

In simple terms i presume players are getting full wages from their contract without providing a service .  (there is a legal angle here)

In order for the European Champions final to take place at Wembley the government had to "fiddle" the tax law (as it probably still does on formula one etc) via an Act of Parliament where the football participants did not pay British tax on the work (!) they did on the pitch meaning playing.  :facepalm:   FIFA i think always insist host countries governments do this in order to host the final.

So from where CLH sees it , it is up the government to sort the law out  for this so called "Act of God situation" where contracts become "spent" due to an "Act of God" without one party performing their obligations.

having thought about it this football contracts problem is going to be worldwide not just here so maybe it is at FIFa level who knows ??

"People use the phrase ‘Act of God’ to refer to a natural disaster that’s considered to be no one’s fault, such as a tsunami or volcanic ash cloud. It’s something that people often think will be found in the small print of their insurance policy. But no matter how hard you look, you won’t be able to spot it because it's not a term or phrase that insurance providers use. "

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:00:45 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 24, 2020, 11:47:20 am by DRNaith »
People are not reading my post on player contracts, because the information is here;

At an emergency meeting that took place between officials from all 20 Premier League clubs on 19 March 2020, it was decided that the 2019/2020 Premier League season will be extended “indefinitely” (with the EFL and The FA (with The FA Cup) following suit).

I read your post, my point is that it is possible for this to impact the timings of future seasons in order to accommodate the closing off of this season.

I think the info around player contracts wasn't very informative, maybe just me, but it pretty much says we don't know what will happen around this, but we'll know when we know.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 24, 2020, 12:04:13 pm by Axholme Lion »
End it now just to piss off the Scousers and Leeds.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 24, 2020, 12:47:52 pm by idler »
Are Millwall in the bottom three AL or do you mean just cancel the season?😉

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 24, 2020, 03:50:59 pm by scawsby steve »
It's no coincidence that most of the people on here that are wanting the season to be expunged are Liverpool haters. Anyone thinking that Liverpool don't deserve that title this season must be either stupidly childish, or not a true fan of football, or a combination of both.

Would they think the same if Rovers were top of the league?

Utterly pathetic.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 24, 2020, 06:34:59 pm by selby »
Steve, I have stated on here that the only championship I would award would be to Liverpool, they are so far in front it is over and done with.
   But every other club with ten games or so to go can either escape or get caught, Southend and Bolton would get away with it if they manage to stay solvent that is.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 24, 2020, 10:17:22 pm by pib »
People keep saying it ‘doesn’t matter’, and yes, granted, in the context of thousands of people dying, it does take on a great deal less importance.

BUT I don’t think many people would deny that the economy is important, and football (plus other sports and “entertainment” generally) aren’t an insignificant slice of that.

Football is many people’s livelihoods, it’s their ability to pay their bills and get by in life. And I’m not just talking about players and managers - thousands of people on top of that earn their living directly or indirectly through football. That does matter! And it’s easy to forget that when your only involvement in football is as a fan.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012