Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:00:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rangers and Celtic to join British League.????  (Read 2607 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Rangers and Celtic to join British League.????
« on April 22, 2021, 09:23:57 pm by normal rules »
Hot on the heels of the ESL fiasco, suggestions now being made, not for the first time about the two big teams the other side of the Wall joining the British League. Some suggestions also that if it were to happen, they would start at a lower lge level first.

Just talk at the moment, and I for one hope it stays that way.

I have tried to imagine the scenario of Celtic playing away at places like Chelsea, or West Ham or Stoke, or anywhere for that matter.
The Catholic side of Glasgow detest the English with a passion. And I’m not talking about the rivalry that some local Derbies generate in Britain; im not talking about the rivalry between English and Welsh clubs, I’m talking about a visceral hatred for everything English. The likes of which anyone who has served in parts of Republican Northern Ireland for example would understand.
Let’s not forget We are talking about a club whose supporters sing songs that glorify the IRA. To allow them into the EFL and above would unleash unrest and disorder on match days in Towns and cities up and down the country, the likes of which we haven’t seen since the 80’s.
Lincoln City made the mistake of inviting Celtic to a pre season match a few years ago at Sincil Bank. I won’t forget it. I was working that day. It was utter chaos all day with running battles on the high st and a good number of people hurt. This was just a friendly.
And let’s not forget either, if Salmond or Krankie get their wish, they will be back in the EU, which will throw up all sorts of issues.
It’s a massive no from me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Rangers and Celtic to join British League.????
« Reply #1 on April 22, 2021, 09:28:23 pm by normal rules »
The Lincoln game was July 2010. Couple of vids on YouTube showing one or two of the fights. With some nasty injuries. There were many many more fights that day.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 22, 2021, 09:33:02 pm by Draytonian III »
Totally agree

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 22, 2021, 10:10:32 pm by foxbat »
putting to one side the litte Englander Brexiteer talk ,

having commuted into Manchester after games against against both Celtic and Rangers , I can say nobody wants the accompanying hoards of drunks  charging about , with obviously no intention of actually going to the game and completing trashing the city centre, which cost tens of thousands of council tax money to be cleared up.
Would have to be ' no away fans ' for me , until they can show they can behave themselves.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2021, 11:29:31 pm by Donnybob »
Hang on, the Scots want to be independent of England. How's that going to work, then? They need to make up their mind whether they are with us or against us first. Imagine resigning from the Scottish League and then being kicked out of the English ones after devolution. Nowt but mischevious radio tittle tattle if you ask me. TalkSPORT needing something to fill air time, probably, with not one shred of real evidence.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 23, 2021, 12:53:02 am by bpoolrover »
Should never be allowed I doubt the other Scottish teams would survive without them 2, at the very least it would be pointless the same as taking the top 6 out of the premier

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 23, 2021, 06:50:13 am by Donnywolf »
Should never be allowed I doubt the other Scottish teams would survive without them 2, at the very least it would be pointless the same as taking the top 6 out of the premier

Agree

Would the BBC stop showing / mentioning / prioritising the SFL s Fixtures / Tables etc ahead of the Championship and the rest of the EFL I wonder

Look at tomorrows fixtures on BBC. Starts PREM - then Scottish Cup - then Championship

My opinion is that that they should give emphasis to the most important and a 2 horse race should not be being featured b4 one of the biggest Leagues in the world

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 23, 2021, 08:02:33 am by idler »
They even have the Women’s SL and European before us now Wolfy as well.
It shows where the FA’s priorities lie. Surely the leagues with the greatest following should be top of the list.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 23, 2021, 08:05:13 am by GazLaz »
It’s not a decision for British football. UEFA don’t allow cross border leagues. If they allowed this to happen others would want to follow. Belgium and Holland for starters.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 23, 2021, 08:43:01 am by Hounslowrover »
Berwick play in the Scottish league, could be a problem if Scotland went independent. 
UEFA allow some cross border, don’t some Liechtenstein teams play in the Swiss leagues and San Marino Calcio in the Italian league, though small countries, it could be used as a precedent.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 23, 2021, 08:49:32 am by drfchound »
Cardiff and Swansea play in the English leagues though.
Should that be allowed ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 23, 2021, 09:04:45 am by Donnywolf »
They even have the Women’s SL and European before us now Wolfy as well.
It shows where the FA’s priorities lie. Surely the leagues with the greatest following should be top of the list.

Yes I noticed that too

And I think you are spot on with both conclusions

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 23, 2021, 09:39:24 am by Chris Black come back »
No way is a SNP government going to let that happen.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 23, 2021, 09:53:26 am by GazLaz »
Should that be allowed ?

I don’t know, but presumed that the Welsh teams played in the English league before the rules came into place so they just let them carry on. The can’t be accepted into European competition though I don’t think.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 23, 2021, 10:08:45 am by Draytonian III »
For years Swansea, Cardiff used to qualify for Europe by winning the Welsh Cup but the the Welsh FA stopped them entering because they didn’t have teams in the Welsh league, Viva Rover will know for sure

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 23, 2021, 10:15:36 am by idler »
Realistically why would any Premier League side vote for them to come in when it means potentially risking them eventually replacing two English clubs. They would lose far more money than gaining two full Ouse home games per season.
That is before taking into account policing and stewarding costs.
The main reasons for me though would be that why on earth would we want to replace two English clubs with two from another country and also risk destroying the Scottish Leagues at the same time.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 23, 2021, 10:17:37 am by GazLaz »
I actually think they would benefit the EPL if they were to join, I don’t think they should be allowed though admittedly.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 23, 2021, 10:30:09 am by wilts rover »
Realistically why would any Premier League side vote for them to come in when it means potentially risking them eventually replacing two English clubs. They would lose far more money than gaining two full Ouse home games per season.
The main reasons for me though would be that why on earth would we want to replace two English clubs with two from another country and also risk destroying the Scottish Leagues at the same time.

Money. Simple as that.

It needs 14 PL teams to vote for it. I would think they would get that easily. Both Rangers and Celtic have a big worldwide following, especially in the USA, and tv/streaming money is the future of football finance.

UFA have just changed their rules for the CL. I am sure they could manage it for a BL if they wanted.

I'm a traditionalist like most of the rest of you and would find this appalling. But if we have learnt one thing over the past few days is that money now drives football - football doesn't drive money and hasn't for 30 years.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 23, 2021, 10:40:51 am by idler »
Most of that 14 though would be the ones struggling to stay up or consider a fair season a mid-table finish. You are only ever one poor season away from relegation and if you don't run your finances right League one obscurity for some. Getting back will only become harder as well.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 23, 2021, 11:00:30 am by normal rules »

Money. Simple as that.

It needs 14 PL teams to vote for it. I would think they would get that easily. Both Rangers and Celtic have a big worldwide following, especially in the USA, and tv/streaming money is the future of football finance.

UFA have just changed their rules for the CL. I am sure they could manage it for a BL if they wanted.

I'm a traditionalist like most of the rest of you and would find this appalling. But if we have learnt one thing over the past few days is that money now drives football - football doesn't drive money and hasn't for 30 years.

That would be massively hypocritical given what’s just happened. They didn’t want the top 6 leaving the British league, yet you suggest they would be  ( if it got that far) happy to accept to 2 Scottish clubs joining, essentially signalling the death knell for the Scottish pyramid.

It can’t and hopefully will never happen. I’ve little time for the beaurocratic regimes such as fifa and uefa, but at least they have it right on this. They say it won’t happen unless all home nations football associations merge. And that’s not likely.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 23, 2021, 12:33:24 pm by Pancho Regan »
Berwick play in the Scottish league, could be a problem if Scotland went independent. 
UEFA allow some cross border, don’t some Liechtenstein teams play in the Swiss leagues and San Marino Calcio in the Italian league, though small countries, it could be used as a precedent.

And Monaco in the French League?

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 23, 2021, 02:06:10 pm by DMnumber4 »
Should that be allowed ?

I don’t know, but presumed that the Welsh teams played in the English league before the rules came into place so they just let them carry on. The can’t be accepted into European competition though I don’t think.

87/88 Division Four contained: Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham & Newport and that was the last time all four Welsh clubs were in the Football League simultaneously.

It could happen next season - and there's even the slim possibility that they would occupy a division each (Swans - PL, Cardiff - Champ, Newport - L1, Wrexham - L2)

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 23, 2021, 02:34:31 pm by Hounslowrover »
Pancho, interesting about Monaco in French league because there is no national team. I remember a few years ago the other clubs were complaining about the tax rules in Monaco which meant they could pay players the same as in France, but no tax, therefore having an advantage over French teams.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 23, 2021, 02:35:05 pm by the vicar »
Rangers and Celtic are trying to do the same thing to there country as super league football was doing to ours

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 23, 2021, 02:38:04 pm by Hounslowrover »
Apparently there is an Andorran team in the Spanish league system too.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 23, 2021, 02:39:55 pm by Metalmicky »
Vatican City also have a strong eleven - good on crosses. 

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 23, 2021, 02:51:59 pm by keyser_soze »
Gretna were in the English system for a while and got as high as the Northern Premier while also playing in the FA cup. Not aware of any other Scottish sides playing in England though.

Scottish clubs playing in the English League isn't as daft as it sounds and there is certainly precedent with the Welsh teams - but shoving them straight in the top flight would make a mockery.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 23, 2021, 03:46:28 pm by ravenrover »
Vatican City also have a strong eleven - good on crosses. 

Better than our defence on set pieces lol

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 23, 2021, 05:17:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I let them in just to see their fans faces when they finally realise they're going to win f**k all every season instead of getting a load of silverware every year.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012