Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:42:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tyke  (Read 2613 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Tyke
« on May 29, 2021, 04:56:06 pm by scawsby steve »
By God, mate, you must be sick. Swansea are a really sh*t side.

Your lads should have beaten them hands down.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re: Tyke
« Reply #1 on May 29, 2021, 05:00:02 pm by DonnyNoel »

Love Tyke's contributions (that's the suck up before the "but") but they weren't even close to Swansea. Brentford just head and shoulders above all the play off teams.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 29, 2021, 05:02:59 pm by Nudga »
I'm quite pleased for Brentford, they've been building something for quite a few years now, steadily chipping away.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 29, 2021, 05:11:45 pm by RoversAlias »
Swansea did not show enough quality today, and Fulton an idiot for getting sent off as he did.

Brentford deserve it, will be a good addition to the Premier League. Notice Ellery Balcombe enjoying the celebrations with the team, not noticed him drop the trophy yet or anything though...

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 29, 2021, 05:13:53 pm by DonnyNoel »
I'm quite pleased for Brentford, they've been building something for quite a few years now, steadily chipping away.

Agreed, every year they've lost some decent players and still competed the next year. Solid recruitment and confidence in a long term vision.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 29, 2021, 05:36:53 pm by PDX_Rover »
I’m happy for Brentford too. Decent club, steadily built and progressed. And they have been the pick of the playoff teams by some distance.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 29, 2021, 05:43:13 pm by tyke1962 »

Steve I've watched my club for 55 years and I've realised in the later part that you can drive yourself crackers with the if's , but's and the maybe's .

Brentford were the third best team in the championship and fully deserve their promotion to the PL .

It hurt today to see Swansea walk out in the championship play off final and I wouldn't say otherwise .

However since we fell just short last week I've had time to reflect on the season just gone .

The success was of course reaching the play offs with such a young squad and a smalll budget but it goes deeper than that for me .

This season has got our belief back after so many struggles and relegations for two decades at this level , we feel we are now a solid championship club when most of us thought with the way the game is today those days were behind us .

We've more faith in the model now  despite many reservations previously .

Obviously there are no guarantees in football and it would be a huge mistake to think we've totally cracked the championship nut .

However the clubs in a fantastic place right now and light years away from what it was at this level for the majority of this century .

That's how I've judged this season .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 29, 2021, 06:06:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
Brentford are by no means the biggest spenders in the Championship, but they very comfortably outspend sides like Barnsley and Preston. Difference is that Brentford have a huge net spend surplus due to their ability to monetise their signings. It shows no sign of stopping eg Toney but they are very dependent on that talent flow. Their new stadium is basically the same size as the Keepmoat. Being in London helps, but they will still have easily lowest attendances in the Premier League next season. TV money matters far more but they are going to have to hope they can keep turning up these diamonds. Tough to do that when you will usually be the worst side in the league.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 29, 2021, 10:11:28 pm by POD »
Brentford are living the dream and good luck to them.   They will inevitably be like many other smaller teams with a modest stadium and small support.... their success will be short lived but they should enjoy it as much as they can, their first appearance in the top division for over 70 years. 

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 29, 2021, 10:34:49 pm by Draytonian III »
If Toney stops they might stop up if he doesn’t they are coming straight back down

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 29, 2021, 10:39:14 pm by DRCraig »
Congratulations to Brentford. Don't think they have a chance of staying up though. Do well to get 20 points. Hope I am wrong.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 29, 2021, 11:28:51 pm by andysly »
I'm not saying Brentford will stay up, but they will get more points than the three relegated sides this season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 30, 2021, 08:28:53 am by Alan Southstand »
So what if they do come back down? At least they’ve achieved something we’ll never see. I’d love for us to be rubbing shoulders with the best Clubs in England and I wouldn’t care one jot if we came straight back down. The money that would be thrown at us would see us ok for many a year afterwards. The trouble is, of course, where do you get the money from to achieve promotion in the first place? We’re finding it exceedingly difficult to get out of L1!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 30, 2021, 11:14:40 am by drfchound »
Congratulations to Brentford. Don't think they have a chance of staying up though. Do well to get 20 points. Hope I am wrong.

I remember this time last year when some people were saying that Wycombe wouldn’t get many points in the Championship.
They didn’t do too badly in the end.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 30, 2021, 11:15:30 am by tyke1962 »
So what if they do come back down? At least they’ve achieved something we’ll never see. I’d love for us to be rubbing shoulders with the best Clubs in England and I wouldn’t care one jot if we came straight back down. The money that would be thrown at us would see us ok for many a year afterwards. The trouble is, of course, where do you get the money from to achieve promotion in the first place? We’re finding it exceedingly difficult to get out of L1!

Well Alan you have to create your own budget by selling players on at a good profit .

That's how Brentford have done it in reality .

Some of the returns have been incredible , Watkins bought from Exeter for £1.5m and sold to Villa for £30m is probably the stand out and allowed them to purchase Toney for £11m .

The lad Sergi Canos came from Norwich for a song , Josh Da Silva was a free transfer from Arsenal and Rico Henry came from Walsall .

Unbelievably great at recruitment Alan .

Nothing that can't be replicated if you have a model like there's and get that recruitment spot on .

Even if it only produced championship football it would still be massively worth pursuing .

The problem is and Brentford as well along with  ourselves is that the fans aren't too happy about seeing their best players sold every year .

I suspect losing the equivalent of Ben Whiteman and Marquis every year wouldn't go down too well as losing Pinnock and Kieffer Moore didn't over here .

However I can't in all honesty see another way without someone bankrolling our clubs .

That doesn't always work too well either as we've witnessed at S6 .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 31, 2021, 07:18:10 pm by tyke1962 »
Brentford and ourselves recruitment models are analysed in this video , around 20 minutes long .

Very informative to be fair .

https://youtu.be/RHle4G5pwrE

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 01, 2021, 08:14:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
Brentford and ourselves recruitment models are analysed in this video , around 20 minutes long .

Very informative to be fair .

https://youtu.be/RHle4G5pwrE

Key thing that clubs at like us to remember, that quote from Ankersen, "Brentford can't win by outspending the competition, so we have to outthink them".

And for anyone still reluctant to believe analytics is the future, Liverpool won the league after 30 years by using it, Brentford (a club our size) are now in the Premier League by using it and Barnsley got into the play offs by using it. Hopefully our new Head of Recruitment tends to use data a bit more than Henshall ever did.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 01, 2021, 11:46:18 am by DRCraig »
Brentford give us hope that we can get there in the future. Same with Bournemouth in the recent past.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 01, 2021, 12:05:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Brentford give us hope that we can get there in the future. Same with Bournemouth in the recent past.

Bournemouth was because of a lot of Russian money though.

Brentford was largely reinvesting money they received.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 01, 2021, 12:27:19 pm by MachoMadness »
Bournemouth broke FFP rules remember. They cheated, gambling that they'd win promotion anyway and escape any real consequences. It worked for them but, on the other side of the coin, look at Wednesday. That's not an approach I'd want or expect us to take, Brentford is much more realistic. You just need someone who understands the numbers to pull it off.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 01, 2021, 02:36:15 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Interesting discussion and here at Bolton we’ve seen and suffered from the errors of overspending and a rogue owner but now have new owners looking to run the club sustainably. Barnsley, Brentford and Preston to be fair, have shown there is another way to be successful and it does prove that you don’t have to be a mega club to succeed. Wigan are another example of where a smallish club can get to without spending big and though it nearly ended in disaster for them, it was again due to a rogue owner. At least their short period in the sun resulted in an FA Cup win, so anything is possible. As already said, Brentford are no bigger than either Barnsley or Donny yet look where they are? I think for Donny, you firstly need a consistent manager and owner to work together and probably accept that some players will need to be sold in order to improve the team. I’m
Not entirely convinced that Brentford didn’t spend to get success, they did initially but it’s worked for them. I think a number of clubs will in future be looking at a money all type of analytic system but whether they will stick to it until it works or lose faith remains to be seen. At the end of the day it still comes down largely to money where players are concerned.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012