Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:22:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 42 games in - historical comparison  (Read 2248 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
42 games in - historical comparison
« on April 07, 2013, 02:35:38 pm by Dutch Uncle »
In only 3 of our 85 previous League and Conference seasons have we bettered 78 points after 42 games (if we convert the old 2 points per win season into 3 points for a win totals). By the way many of those seasons ended after 42 games.

One was of course the record breaking Div 3 North championship winning 1946-7 season when we finished after 42 games with an unequalled 33 wins, 6 draws and 3 defeats from 42 games giving a staggering equivalent of 105 points

Another was the Div 3 North Championship winning season of 1934-5 when we finished with the equivalent of 83 points after 42 games

The third was more recently in our excellent first season back in the league in 2003-4 when we steamrollered our way to 85 points from the first 42 games, and finished as champions with 92 points.

The only other time we have equalled it was in our last Conference season in 2002-3 when we finished with 78 points from 42 games, before winning the playoffs.

That means we have won 3 other Championships (1949-50, 1965-6 and 1968-9) and 2 other automatic promotions (1980-1 and 1983-4), and one other promotion after playoffs (2007-8) when we have fared worse than our current total

Without wanting to count too many chickens, it is clearly ours to lose, and along with historical parallels, form and confidence seem good, and with an apparently steady hand on the tiller in Brian Flynn.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:38:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

A9

• Forum Member
Re: 42 games in - historical comparison
« Reply #1 on April 07, 2013, 02:44:59 pm by A9 »
Out of interest, do you know how many players have won a champions medal with us more than once?

I'm wondering where Chris Brown will rank in honours won with us by the end of this season

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 07, 2013, 02:51:19 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Bob Gilfillan definitely (65-6 & 68-9), and I am guessing Alick Jeffrey although he left half way through 1968-9

Must be some in 46-7 & 49-50 - Syd Bycroft and maybe Bert Tindill (although he wasn't first choice in 1946-7)

Edit: Maybe Ken Hardwick as well in 46-7 & 49-50, Dave Miller was a regular in 49-50, but played only 2 games in 46-7.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:56:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 07, 2013, 02:56:29 pm by wilts rover »
Out of interest, do you know how many players have won a champions medal with us more than once?

I'm wondering where Chris Brown will rank in honours won with us by the end of this season

Behind James Coppinger who has a Div 1 Play-Off and a Johnstone's Paint winners to add to his Div II Championship medal. He must surely be the player with the most top level honours?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 07, 2013, 02:59:41 pm by Filo »

Behind James Coppinger who has a Div 1 Play-Off and a Johnstone's Paint winners to add to his Div II Championship medal. He must surely be the player with the most top level honours?

Paul Green Conference play off winner, Div 3 Champions, JPT winner and League 1 play off winner

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 07, 2013, 02:59:47 pm by Dutch Uncle »
If you mean Copps in Div 3 (as it then was) in 2003-4 - he didn't join us until the next season Wilts.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 07, 2013, 03:02:23 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Paul Green Conference play off winner, Div 3 Champions, JPT winner and League 1 play off winner

Has to be top of the list Filo

A Sheffield County Cup a well?  ;)

Not to mention reaching a quarter final of the League Cup

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 07, 2013, 03:12:37 pm by wilts rover »
If you mean Copps in Div 3 (as it then was) in 2003-4 - he didn't join us until the next season Wilts.

Sorry Dutch you are quite correct. I was at a conference in Exeter when he signed and remember all the fuss in their local paper about him leaving on the cheap as they were going out of the League, so was thinking we were swapping places with them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 07, 2013, 05:44:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Brian

You stopped worrying about a couple of sides getting 90-odd points then?!?

PS

Wonderful historical review as ever. Ta very much. When you're in historic times, it's vital to have someone like you to remind us and chronicle it.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 07, 2013, 05:56:46 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Brian

You stopped worrying about a couple of sides getting 90-odd points then?!?

PS

Wonderful historical review as ever. Ta very much. When you're in historic times, it's vital to have someone like you to remind us and chronicle it.

Many thanks BST. I have been such an avid reader of your splendidly objective points predictions updates - it kept me (nearly) sane acting as a great antidote to my natural (as far as Rovers are concerned) attitude of expecting the worst case scenario.

Mind you we are not there yet, and although we have real momentum, which is great, it might just need only "one of those nights when nothing goes in" or a couple of shocking decisions (e.g. another 'Russell' match), or a couple of injuries to disturb that............ :chair:

I think we will probably do it, but I can't see the fat lady yet - but then again my eyesight is not what it used to be. Keep plying me with your objectivity my friend! :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:11:15 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 08, 2013, 02:27:36 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Just realised of course that if we were to become champions that Chris Brown would be the only Rovers player to hold 2 Championship medals from 2 different divisions

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 08, 2013, 02:50:50 pm by afro goal machine »
Looking at the 07/08 season we finished 3rd with 80 points and Swansea won it with 92

TinyPortal © 2005-2012