Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:13:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: will we be the top Rovers for the first time??  (Read 1473 times)

LongbridgeMGRover

will we be the top Rovers for the first time??
« on April 07, 2013, 11:05:18 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
Now we have had occasional talk of 'Yorkshires number one team' especially as Weeds, Wendies and Blunts seem to naturally gravitate to the third tier, but have we ever been the top Rovers in the land?

I mention this as Blackburn and Bristol always seemed bigger than us. Now Bristol Rovers are  well below us, and Blackburn, under the stewardship of Indian Chicken farmers are modelling themselves on Luton, and as we are clearly going up next year as they come down, i think that for the first time in History, we could be the highest Rovers in the land!!!

We will not just be Donny Rovers, we will be THE Rovers!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: will we be the top Rovers for the first time??
« Reply #1 on April 07, 2013, 11:07:00 pm by RobTheRover »
Good shout!  Whooo hoooo

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 07, 2013, 11:27:26 pm by donnyallday »
Like it  :woohoo:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 08, 2013, 12:06:06 am by DonnyOsmond »
You've forgot Tranmere who could be joining us.

Mattwak3

« Reply #4 on April 08, 2013, 01:43:41 am by Mattwak3 »

Don't think Tranmere are going up anymore. Seem to be dropping quickly

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 08, 2013, 10:11:28 am by Bentley Bullet »
We've always been the top 'Red' Rovers

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 08, 2013, 10:26:27 am by bobjimwilly »

Even if they did get promoted we would start next season above them in alphabetic order ;)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 08, 2013, 11:23:47 am by Dutch Uncle »
Now we have had occasional talk of 'Yorkshires number one team' especially as Weeds, Wendies and Blunts seem to naturally gravitate to the third tier, but have we ever been the top Rovers in the land?

I mention this as Blackburn and Bristol always seemed bigger than us. Now Bristol Rovers are  well below us, and Blackburn, under the stewardship of Indian Chicken farmers are modelling themselves on Luton, and as we are clearly going up next year as they come down, i think that for the first time in History, we could be the highest Rovers in the land!!!

We will not just be Donny Rovers, we will be THE Rovers!!

I can confirm that we have never finished a season higher than Blackburn Rovers (can't comment on mid-season positions). The only other teams we have never finished higher than at the end of a season are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Liverpool, Middlesboro, Manchester City, Newcastle, Stoke, Sunderland and WBA.

Chelsea and Tottenham were not league clubs in 1901-2 when we played our first league season, but since they came into the league we have never finished higher than them. The same is true of Portsmouth, although of course we will finish higher than them this season.

Edit: The prospect of a club with PL Parachute  payments (16M? 20M?) in League one (be it Blackburn or Wolves) just shows how unequal a playing field it is, and how much mismanagement there has been at these two clubs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:25:55 am by Dutch Uncle »

The Loan Arranger

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 08, 2013, 11:26:24 am by The Loan Arranger »
And I thought it was only me who harboured this strange but compelling ambition for DRFC!!!!!  I just want to be the top Rovers! I never thought it would ever happen yet its now getting pretty close...........  Not so long back I was just happy that we were above Forest Green Rovers!!

TLR

TinyPortal © 2005-2012