Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:59:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lincoln City Commentator  (Read 4309 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Lincoln City Commentator
« Reply #30 on December 01, 2020, 01:37:28 pm by MachoMadness »
I remember that bah bah black sheep thing. The Mail ran a story on it that was completely made up. Nursery workers then stopped using the nursery rhyme as they had read it in the paper, so it became true so-to-speak. But it was never a policy of Islington Council.... just Daily Mail nonsense..... 
I also remember that story going around when I was a kid, so it must have been in the 90s/early 2000s. Seems the "PC gone mad" myth gets trotted out by older generations whenever they want something to complain about, and always has been. Probably always will be.

You say you're English these days...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 01, 2020, 07:06:21 pm by scawsby steve »
I remember that bah bah black sheep thing. The Mail ran a story on it that was completely made up. Nursery workers then stopped using the nursery rhyme as they had read it in the paper, so it became true so-to-speak. But it was never a policy of Islington Council.... just Daily Mail nonsense..... 
I also remember that story going around when I was a kid, so it must have been in the 90s/early 2000s. Seems the "PC gone mad" myth gets trotted out by older generations whenever they want something to complain about, and always has been. Probably always will be.

It's not us complaining though, it's those who find everything offensive.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 01, 2020, 08:30:31 pm by foxbat »
I remember sone ex tabloid journo on tv. smirking about how they used to make it up the pc gone mad stories in the office and attribute them to Labour local authorities  .
Astonishing how many believed it all , withoutxa shred if actual evidence ,but then again , we ended up with Brexit .
Anyway that's Off Topic stuff , but will say here , its well time enough to be rid of for thses 'Jim Davidson ' dinosaurs.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 01, 2020, 08:44:02 pm by MachoMadness »

You're complaining about those people who are complaining. But the people you're complaining about don't actually exist. So that just leaves you complaining.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 01, 2020, 08:49:51 pm by scawsby steve »

You're complaining about those people who are complaining. But the people you're complaining about don't actually exist. So that just leaves you complaining.

That sounds like a complaint to me.

Touche.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 01, 2020, 09:17:17 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Strange init  I used to think my parents were "dinosaurs" and and didnt understand modern day living, my kids think i'm a dinosaur and don't understand modern day living, and the grand kids think they  are .............. oh hang on do I see a thread :)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 01, 2020, 10:14:37 pm by rover-n-out »
My wife (who's 56) went into a coffee shop in the Frenchgate and at the counter asked for a black tea!
A young girl behind the counter said to my wife, " yer can't say black tea" my wife said "sorry, what do you mean I can't say black tea". The girl said "You've got to ask for a tea with no milk" my wife just shook her head at her and walked out.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 01, 2020, 10:16:12 pm by MachoMadness »

That sounds like a complaint to me.

Touche.
Yep I'm complaining about you complaining about people complaining who aren't actually complaining. Any complaints?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 02, 2020, 02:11:40 am by BillyStubbsTears »
PC gone mad, gone mad.

Here. Piped into your own phone.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 02, 2020, 09:24:31 am by Donnybob »
Ive done a quick Google into the origin and meaning of handbags. Here goes.

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Handbags at ten paces'?

'Handbags at ten paces', sometimes shortened just to 'handbags', is a comic reference to a confrontation which is histrionic but which doesn't involve physical violence. Such confrontations are also called handbag situations.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Handbags at ten paces'?

This British phrase might sound odd to anyone who is not familiar with the earlier pistols at ten paces, which relates to duelling. That phrase, and its counterpart pistols at dawn, were the stating of the arrangements that preceded duels. Such duels were dangerous and duellists were often killed, although the 'pistols' phrases owe more to Hollywood than historical record.

The handbags at ten paces and handbags at dawn versions began to be used in the 1980s to describe confrontations between players in football matches. Professional footballers know they will be sent off if they hit another player, so emotion has to be expressed via posturing, facial grimacing and verbal abuse. The implication carried by the phrases was that, although a great deal of preamble to violence was shown, the actual confrontations were in the nature of 'I'll scratch you eyes out' cat-fights. These were typified by the many high-profile matches between Manchester United and Arsenal in the years around the turn of the millennium. These matches were usually highly charged as they often had a decisive effect on the outcome of the Premiership championship. This, coupled with the fact that many of the players had reputations for violent play but didn't want to risk getting sent off, led to several handbags at ten paces incidents.

The football manager and later commentator, Ron Atkinson, was fond of using this phrase, often shortened just to handbags. He invented several somewhat surreal footballing terms, so he may well have coined this too, although I can't find any record confirming that.

The earliest record I can find of the term in print is from a piece headed Who said what in the world of sport in 1986, in The Times 1 January 1987:

"It was a case of handbags at three paces."

So there you have it. Frankly if the term is now to be cancelled, and Lord knows any others, there won't be much point in going to games any more. Best sit quietly in your living room with your mouth firmly shut For fear of offending someone.

Cancel culture has a lot to answer for and it will get worse. After all surely a Rover is a traveller, a gypsy, and to use that term could be deemed cultural appropriation?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 02, 2020, 12:57:55 pm by RoversAlias »
Ron Atkinson is quite famously racist so anything bringing his name up isn't going to be a great defence! Also a "catfight" is inherently used to refer to women.

Regardless, he wasn't dropped merely for the "handbags" line as previously stated. The "should be wearing a skirt" quip was far, far worse in my opinion.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 02, 2020, 02:16:43 pm by Donnybob »
Wow, if the worst insult I receive in my remaining days on earth is should be wearing a skirt I'll pass through as a very happy man. Jesus wept. If that is seen as insensitive and offensive then Lord help us. Obviously we now live with a snowflake generation and they seem to bruise easily but ye God's. Can I no longer refer to a writhing
Footballer as a Gret Jesse? And why is the offended generation always reactive and not proactive? Where is the rule book that defines what you can and cannot say? Why are these hugely offensive terms not catalogued. I mentioned him an an earlier post, Mickey Walker might as well hang up his radio microphone. And that's a travesty because home commentators should show a degree of bias.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 02, 2020, 02:40:44 pm by Axholme Lion »
Wow, if the worst insult I receive in my remaining days on earth is should be wearing a skirt I'll pass through as a very happy man. Jesus wept. If that is seen as insensitive and offensive then Lord help us. Obviously we now live with a snowflake generation and they seem to bruise easily but ye God's. Can I no longer refer to a writhing
Footballer as a Gret Jesse? And why is the offended generation always reactive and not proactive? Where is the rule book that defines what you can and cannot say? Why are these hugely offensive terms not catalogued. I mentioned him an an earlier post, Mickey Walker might as well hang up his radio microphone. And that's a travesty because home commentators should show a degree of bias.

Just say it as you see it mate. If people are offended then they need to grow up. People are being killed in wars, starving to death and living in REAL poverty all over the world and a few snow flakes here get upset over a few words.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 02, 2020, 03:40:23 pm by VivaRovers »
...a few snow flakes here get upset over a few words.

Somewhat ironically it appears the people getting most upset over word usage here are those who feel that you should be free to say anything you like.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 02, 2020, 03:58:41 pm by Axholme Lion »
As long as it's not swearing, threatening or abuse it should be ok.
Sticks and stones...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012