Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:34:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SMASH it FORWARD  (Read 2763 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
SMASH it FORWARD
« on August 15, 2010, 09:03:15 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I was very disappointed on SOD's 'take' on reason the back four , particularly Martis, started \"Smashing the ball forwards\" on Saturday, was as a result of the crowd's 'insistent' chanting to do so.

I for one would never 'urge' such a tactic & sitting in the West Stand, was not aware of any 'group' of supporters in the Stadium callimg for 'the big boot'.

Anyone else 'taking' SOD's version of events?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spankster

• Forum Member
Re:SMASH it FORWARD
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2010, 09:07:40 pm by Spankster »
He said no such thing, he said if fans want us to lump it then we may as well go home cos it ain't gonna hapen

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2010, 11:16:09 pm by Colin C No.3 »
And what made him think \" The fans wanted us to lump it forward\"?

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2010, 11:31:01 pm by DadsleyRover »
I was surprised at some of the long ball tactics in the second half and did not hear anyone asking for that tactic. As I saw it Jimmy O'Connor hardly got a ball after Martis went off and Thomas started doing his runs forward. I am not critising Thomas for this and I am hoping this is just because he is new to the squad but I was glad when Coppinger came on and looked fit and produced his excellant run to get the deserved penalty.
I hope that supporters behind Sean are not shouting for long ball tactics.

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on August 15, 2010, 11:36:36 pm by VikingJames »
I think it was more to do with the lack of movement in midfield, caused by Bristol City's strict marking and extra man in midfield.

At that stage, plan B has to come out, and it didn't really look like they had been told of a plan B, hence lumping it forward.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 16, 2010, 01:28:07 am by donnybez »
how was that goin to work? with 4 giant defenders who are brill headers?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 16, 2010, 10:04:29 am by River Don »
I didn't hear the interview myself but I was very surprised to be told about the 'gerrit forrad' comment, I didn't hear any calls for that from the crowd.

There are odd occasions when Rovers begin to go long, Sean must know there are other reasons for it because the crowd weren't demanding it.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2010, 10:23:43 am by Beerseller »
I sit directly behind the dugout about 7 rows back.  About 3 minutes into injury time in the second half, someone shouted \"get it forward\" in response to a set of passes which took the ball sideways then backwards.  Before that, the only shouting of a very quiet afternoon was aimed at the ref.

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2010, 10:53:06 am by jonrover »
DadsleyRover wrote:
I was surprised at some of the long ball tactics in the second half and did not hear anyone asking for that tactic. As I saw it Jimmy O'Connor hardly got a ball after Martis went off and Thomas started doing his runs forward. I am not critising Thomas for this and I am hoping this is just because he is new to the squad but I was glad when Coppinger came on and looked fit and produced his excellant run to get the deserved penalty.

I thought him bombing forward to the halfway line brought us back into the game a bit. More of the same please Mr Thomas!

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 16, 2010, 10:53:23 am by donnybez »
River Don wrote:
I didn't hear the interview myself but I was very surprised to be told about the 'gerrit forrad' comment, I didn't hear any calls for that from the crowd.

There are odd occasions when Rovers begin to go long, Sean must know there are other reasons for it because the crowd weren't demanding it.
When nothing is working,players will panic and ignore advice and just in general lump it up and attempt to get it in that way

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 16, 2010, 11:09:37 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
SOD wants to get in the South Stand where the most common shout is \"get it down, don't hoof it\".

Keith Myath

« Reply #11 on August 16, 2010, 11:14:39 am by Keith Myath »
jonrover wrote:
DadsleyRover wrote:

I thought him bombing forward to the halfway line brought us back into the game a bit. More of the same please Mr Thomas!

I agree completely, if theres space he should do that, it will draw players and open up their midfield. I cant believe someone is critising Thomas for doing as O'drisscol preaches i.e. being brave with the ball and making the right decision, lumping is an easy option that clearly does not work.

Saying that when Thomas did need to lump it, what a fantastic ball he delivered to the left wing. Pin perfect.

I'd be gutted if he doesnt start Saturday!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 16, 2010, 02:25:44 pm by dknward2 »
New chant then for the hull game of
 pass pass pass,
 pass pass pass,
Pass pass pass    and so on

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 16, 2010, 07:12:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Or get the ole's going earlier and if it's lumped....Boooooo

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 19, 2010, 11:09:07 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
ODs comments in Free Press today seem to have softened from last week.

\"We know what works for us and we have to keep believing in ourselves if we have a setback. We're all in it together, players and supporters, but it has to come from the players first and then the fans will get behind us.\"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012