Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:03:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Right 8 days to go until' transfer window shuts...  (Read 4185 times)

uros-predic

• Forum Member
Right 8 days to go until' transfer window shuts...
« on August 22, 2010, 09:29:28 pm by uros-predic »
so how many players need to be brought in?

i reckon 3 more,(probably pushing ma luck a bit)

- Obv a centre back (preferably a loan with a view to a permenant deal)
- Left back (loan) - george friend cant defend
- Striker (permanent) - god help us if billy gets injured

i reckon this would add some much needed depth to our squad, but to be fair, given our attendances, we dont deserve a fully capable, play off challenging team.
whatever happens ROVERS TILL I DIE

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re:Right 8 days to go until' transfer window shuts...
« Reply #1 on August 22, 2010, 09:42:28 pm by ravenrover »
Just another striker, forget about a CH, must agree what I have seen of Friend makes me a little worried. At least we have Chambers to come back.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 22, 2010, 10:27:06 pm by Chris »
ravenrover wrote:
forget about a CH

Are you being serious pal?!

uros-predic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 22, 2010, 11:11:09 pm by uros-predic »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Great to see all this criticism of Friend. From what I've seen of him so far, he's done absolutely fine. I'll admit I wasn't there yetserday, though.

What I would be doing is bringing in a quality centre half on loan (if possible), a striker and maybe another midfield player. I know some people feel we already have enough in the middle but if someone of Andy Keogh's ability was to become available at some point, he would only make us stronger in that department.

you dont say  :laugh:

regarding george friend, its just my opinion, iv not spoke to anybody who thinks he is a good DEFENDER, i hope he proves me wrong like

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 22, 2010, 11:17:36 pm by grayx »
ravenrover wrote:
Just another striker, forget about a CH, must agree what I have seen of Friend makes me a little worried. At least we have Chambers to come back.

WOW, forget about a centre-half?.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 22, 2010, 11:40:27 pm by CusworthRovers »
Realistically I would say a CH and that would suffice. We have enough quality to cope in all other areas (assuming no mass injury crisis). In an ideal I would say the Barca eleven, but one needs to remember who we are, so as said a CH is the given.

It's interesting when things go wrong, that there is a clamour for the players who get slated on here, to come back into the side and how we miss them.

For the record, I think Friend has done OK considering he's only a few games into our system, which we all know can take players many months to get to grips with. He has many attributes IMO and it's best left judged after a sustained period of games. I think his defending coincides with all our defending across the back and midfield ie he's one of a unit that appears lacking in confidence.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 22, 2010, 11:59:35 pm by eastender »
With 6 CB's on the the pay roll i think we can forget about that department.

I think were more likely to see another striker/attacking midfielder like JET coming in to add some fire power,hopefully. :)

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on August 23, 2010, 12:10:15 am by VikingJames »
eastender wrote:

I think were more likely to see another striker/attacking midfielder like JET coming in to add some fire power,hopefully. :)

Disagree completely. It's a priority.

Hird, Thomas, Lockwood, Martis and Webster are all half decent defenders, but there isn't a dominant, quick, 100% reliable CH in there. We need a top quality player (maybe a Prem loanee) to put at the side of one of the above to sure it up at the back.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 23, 2010, 12:36:42 am by eastender »
VikingJames wrote:
eastender wrote:

Hird, Thomas, Lockwood, Martis and Webster are all half decent defenders, but there isn't a dominant, quick, 100% reliable CH in there. We need a top quality player (maybe a Prem loanee) to put at the side of one of the above to sure it up at the back.

I was including Jimmy O in that 6 ,who is quick and quite dominant for his height.

So who do you suggest we can bring in that is affordable,  quick, and  is a 100% reliable CH ? :blink:

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 23, 2010, 12:43:24 am by CusworthRovers »
To be fair, we aren't to know that as it's not our day job, but I would anticipate that SOD/ROK/MW will have a list, as it's their job to know who is about.

Even through a season, neither Webster, Hird nor Lockwood are ever presents. We need 2 CH's who virtually pick themselves each week barring injuries. I'm not sure we have that yet. We have not had Martis and Thomas together yet and who knows that might work. That maybe the answer, if not then we need a CH that is guaranteed to start all the games and never looks like being shifted.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 23, 2010, 12:47:52 am by DMnumber4 »
I'd bring in a versatile defender. If that's a right back that allows JO'C to go left back then so be it.

A bruising centre mid.

A centre forward to aid Billy.

The whole spine needs adding to if I'm honest!

VikingJames

« Reply #11 on August 23, 2010, 12:48:10 am by VikingJames »
eastender wrote:
VikingJames wrote:
eastender wrote:

I was including Jimmy O in that 6 ,who is quick and quite dominant for his height.

So who do you suggest we can bring in that is affordable,  quick, and  is a 100% reliable CH ? :blink:

Ok, maybe I chose the wrong term. You know what I mean though, somebody dependable like Mills/Shackell.

Locky, Hird, Thomas and Martis are all hit and miss.

Jimmy O is a good centre back, but I think we're wasting his talents as a RB if we play him in the middle. We really need to bring a CB in, rather than playing people out of position.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 23, 2010, 01:01:12 am by DMnumber4 »
VikingJames wrote:
eastender wrote:
VikingJames wrote:
eastender wrote:

Ok, maybe I chose the wrong term. You know what I mean though, somebody dependable like Mills/Shackell.

Locky, Hird, Thomas and Martis are all hit and miss.

Jimmy O is a good centre back, but I think we're wasting his talents as a RB if we play him in the middle. We really need to bring a CB in, rather than playing people out of position.

But he's the best right back at the club and the best centre back too!! Cant we just have a team of Jimmy's?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 23, 2010, 01:01:30 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Like it or not we have enough centre halves at the club.

It may be decision time to move bodies out before we can bring others in.

Whether we bring in another centre half, or frontman, some will have to leave or be offered out on loan.

So who get's the chop ?

VikingJames

« Reply #14 on August 23, 2010, 01:03:38 am by VikingJames »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:

Whether we bring in another centre half, or frontman, some will have to leave or be offered out on loan.

So who get's the chop ?

If that's what needs to happen before we get someone in, I'd get Hird and/or Webster (when fit) out on loan.

They've both got time on their side to improve, and a spell out at a L1 club would do them no harm.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 23, 2010, 01:05:51 am by DMnumber4 »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:

So who get's the chop ?

Hird - loan at least
Locky - permanent move away. League 1 at best
Webster - loan. Needs serious game time
Dumbuya - loan. I'd like to see him get given a chance somewhere if he's not going to start.

These are just suggestions. Obviously we need a bench of some sort!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 23, 2010, 01:16:09 am by CusworthRovers »
But he's the best right back at the club and the best centre back too!! Cant we just have a team of Jimmy's?

Can I change my defensive formation on my strongest 11.

..JOC.......Jimmy....James......O' Connor

and I'd stick O'y in the nets.

That bloody Alison knows a good player to stick her name too

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 23, 2010, 10:57:30 am by wing commander »
DNumber4,i reckon you have that spot on mate,we seem to have a couple of players who for whatever reason cant seem to string any fitness together,Webster reminds me of the Hoff looks good but is never fit to play.Martis has looked average but that could be due to the fact he cant seem to put more than a couple of games together at most before injury.
  Dumbayo im a bit gutted for,personally i fear weve wasted a chance to give him a go in the team but weve signed Mason on loan.Dumbayo had a great pre season and looked to have done enough to get in the team but he didnt make it and im sure he is a tad frustrated at the moment.Locky has never been first choice and Hird just isnt rated by SOD,although at c/b i rate him.
  We have been spoilt with Shackell and Hird and that makes our current cb's look weak and one or two people have questioned why we didnt have a harsher clearout and bring more quality in than numbers,but to be fair our recent injury record with cb's is high and sod thinks average cover is better than no cover at all.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 23, 2010, 12:45:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Whoever the player(s) is/are the one attribute they need is pace, we have a serious lack of it through the team. Without pace you need guile/something different to create and we miss Oster for that. JET/Keogh would provide something different that would help create.
Defensively height and pace in a CH IS A MUST.

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
Re:Right 8 days to go until' transfer window shuts
« Reply #19 on August 23, 2010, 01:30:00 pm by ljm-drfc »
DearneValleyRover wrote:
Whoever the player(s) is/are the one attribute they need is pace, we have a serious lack of it through the team. Without pace you need guile/something different to create and we miss Oster for that. JET/Keogh would provide something different that would help create.
Defensively height and pace in a CH IS A MUST.

steven Caulker

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 23, 2010, 02:05:24 pm by bobjimwilly »
Agree about finding a quicker CB. Lockwood was, again, shown up for how slow he is.  :S

jb stainforth

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 23, 2010, 03:16:58 pm by jb stainforth »
the lack of pace at the back is it going to let us down

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 23, 2010, 06:14:21 pm by DearneValleyRover »
jb stainforth wrote:
the lack of pace at the back is it going to let us down

We've got a lack of pace throughout the team not just at the back and it's already letting us down.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012