Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 01:32:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Genuine Fans failed by the Donny Public  (Read 22403 times)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
Re:Genuine Fans failed by the Donny Public
« Reply #90 on September 07, 2010, 11:39:05 am by CusworthRovers »
Is there a Champion amongst us? I could think of a few.

I bet Mozzer hates this forum and Rovers fans. Always taking it up the trumper from us lot all the time. When he's ousted I would search the stands for any bombs.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on September 07, 2010, 10:55:22 pm by PDX_Rover »
Don't be silly Cussy.... Even if Morris got hold of a bomb, he'd fluff lighting the fuse.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 07, 2010, 10:58:23 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Dont see the the club as the problem here really dont .....
Football is so big it needs little promotion - Leeds game proves it!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 08, 2010, 08:17:54 am by DonnyNoel »
Norfolk N Chance wrote:
Dont see the the club as the problem here really dont .....
Football is so big it needs little promotion - Leeds game proves it!

We're not talking about football, we're talking about Rovers - something long ignored by the oft-mentioned floaters, even at times when entry was less than a tenner.

As for football needing little promotion, then why the chuff do Sky hype it to buggery on practically every ad break they have? To sell it....

We can't play Leeds every week.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 08, 2010, 08:42:30 am by irishcontingent »
As i see it,i have supported DRFC for more years than i care to remember, a sucessful season brings in the masses. However good the style of football is, the vast majority of DRFC \"floating\" fans will only come to games if the team are doing exceptionally well, say in top 6 of any given league. I know its a different era, but in te 60's as some will remember as well as i do, 24000 in attendance, on a Friday night, against Darlington. That was because it was a top 2 clash,  without stating the obvious Donny doing well. I dont remember too much advertising of the game beforehand, it sold itsself by virtue of DRFC and Darlingtons league position.

I think the same would apply now. Folk who have any football interest would look at league table and say \"I want to be part of that\". Fair weather supporters they may well be, glory hunters if you like, but i would bet a months salary the same will apply today.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on September 08, 2010, 01:32:52 pm by bobjimwilly »
irishcontingent wrote:
As i see it,i have supported DRFC for more years than i care to remember, a sucessful season brings in the masses. However good the style of football is, the vast majority of DRFC \"floating\" fans will only come to games if the team are doing exceptionally well, say in top 6 of any given league. I know its a different era, but in te 60's as some will remember as well as i do, 24000 in attendance, on a Friday night, against Darlington. That was because it was a top 2 clash,  without stating the obvious Donny doing well. I dont remember too much advertising of the game beforehand, it sold itsself by virtue of DRFC and Darlingtons league position.

I think the same would apply now. Folk who have any football interest would look at league table and say \"I want to be part of that\". Fair weather supporters they may well be, glory hunters if you like, but i would bet a months salary the same will apply today.

Are you sure your name isn't Irishcontingent Morris? Sounds like somet the current Marketing clan would come up with, basically \"There's no point in marketing the club because it won't ever bring in extra supporters\" - tosh if you ask me?  :S

What about those floating supporters that simply don't come because they don't know the price of a ticket, or those that aren't sure when the next home game is? Or those that don't know of the special offers the club actually does put on from time to time, that seem to never be promoted to the general public?

:blink:

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on September 08, 2010, 02:07:04 pm by irishcontingent »
Where the hell did i say \"marketing\", \"Advertising\" \"Promoting\" the club WONT bring in extra supporters. What i said was plainly \"Success in league will bring in more\", a lot more than any amount of advertising etc.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on September 08, 2010, 02:16:07 pm by RobTheRover »
Its about creating demand for the product, and nothing does that more than limited availability.  We need to get the stands full as the costs to us of doing so are nothing, and the income is all profit.  Pile it high and sell it cheap as the old business adage goes.  The benefits are many...

1) more income for the club (ticket sales, parking fees, commercial customers wanting to be part of it)
2) more income for partner organisations (food outlets, bookies, etc)
3) better \"big game\" atmosphere for all supporters
4) demand for tickets from those who feel like they are \"missing out\", leading to earlier ticket sales hence increased cashflow.
5) another opportunity to generate new supporters who will stay loyal in years to come.

I costed out a rough model HERE based on significant ticket price cuts and the nett result was MORE income, notwithstanding the additional benefits.

I think the club need to look at it, at least for a trial period, and I'll be making those representations to the club.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on September 08, 2010, 02:37:45 pm by donnywhitegaz »
rob as with leeds we get loads asking why we cant open the top tier and sell tickets cheaper,im always on the understanding side and yes more people means more money but also more outlay,how much extra would it cost in staff for kiosks,parking attendants,policing and stewarding to name but a few,imo its swings and roundabouts,if it was me i would do more in schools not just give the tickets away,go into a school on the monday before a game and get parents to register interest,say either buy two kids tickets and get an adult free or free kids tickets if they commit to purchasing an adult one

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on September 08, 2010, 03:37:41 pm by donnybez »
I just wonder whether not having a club shop in the town centre has limited our reach in the town centre?

Plus why doesnt the club look to create a joint marketing campaign with the Lakeside Shopping Village and the Lakeside Commercial district in general? Surely it would be in all the forementioned parties interest to promote each other through local and regional media?

It would share the overall costs of marketing, would create a new strategy to catch any regional tourism, would promote the Lakeside district as a whole and surely increase the crowds, maybe not massively but an increase none the less

However we need Cheaper tickets and maybe greater promotion of concessionary tickets as the student presence in South Yorkshire is......well huge to say the least. And a clear, concise marketing strategy that has the club working in unity with all interested parties and stakeholders to promote the club and improve attendance and financial growth

Can't say I dont use plenty of jargon  :laugh:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on September 08, 2010, 04:01:53 pm by Filo »
The basic problem is, the current marketing team see the fans ideas as a threat/ hinderence, rather than trying to work alongside the fans. Not all fans ideas turn out to be as good as they first sound and I think everyone knows that for various reasons not every idea is taken onboard, but there has been some great ideas, including the focus group document that have been totally dismissed. Nothing will change until the marketing team, including Mr Morris stop treating fans with contempt and we all start pulling in the same direction!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on September 08, 2010, 10:48:43 pm by BobG »
I like that idea Bez. A joint marketing campaign. Bring the Mrs for some shopping (sans credit card obviously!), stick the children in a creche I assume is there somewhere and fat bloke waddles round the corner for some togger. Cracking idea.

Cheers

BobG

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on September 08, 2010, 10:56:26 pm by donnybez »
BobG wrote:
I like that idea Bez. A joint marketing campaign. Bring the Mrs for some shopping (sans credit card obviously!), stick the children in a creche I assume is there somewhere and fat bloke waddles round the corner for some togger. Cracking idea.

Cheers

BobG

Thanks, i have plenty more where that came from mate, i did a report for my business class not long ago B)

Bez B)

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on September 08, 2010, 10:58:49 pm by scuzzer »
I think Morris had a point and have duly roped 3 friends in to come to the Norwich game with me from Notts, now if another 1000 could do the same we'd be looking at a half decent crowd!

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on September 09, 2010, 12:58:11 am by Old Popsider »
To pick up on Donnybez' thread, it may be an idea for the VSC to cost up buying some 'A' boards & having simple posters printed up giving the next home game details - opposition,date,time & prices. Then put a couple of the boards in the Lakeside retail complex.

Also get permission from the Council to put some up in a few places in the town centre e.g. the bus interchange, the railway station, the Frenchgate centre, Waterdale,and perhaps the racecourse grandstand on racedays.  

After all, there was the big board by the roadside in the Belle - Vue car park with similar details. Couldn't miss that when you passed dear old BV.

Seeing as the DRFC PR people don't seem able to get the club and games advertised properly, maybe the VSC can do something & help JR get more people through the turnstiles.

Worth a try?

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on September 09, 2010, 01:03:22 am by Old Popsider »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Agree completely. We need to get Dave Morris as far away as possible from having anything to do with marketing/pricing.

I would agree that a marketing guru would have it sorted quick time however, he/she may come at a cost.

I think Charlie Swallow, already at the club as Customer Services manager, knows more about customer service and the fans needs than Dave Morris ever will.

Yes, success comes at a price but in the case of getting DRFC properly promoted in the advertising sense, then that price is worth paying in anticipation of bigger returns when people realise there is a good football club worth supporting, and they start coming to matches on a regular basis. Also this may persuade more to go to the away games thus increasing the Rovers' share of the gate money.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on September 09, 2010, 01:06:05 am by BobG »
I'd have thought so. Might have to plan to buy a lot of A boards though. How long will each one last......? Be a bit of a job gluign on the latest notice, setting them up and then collecting them again afterwards. Can't we give some yoof a tenner a week or summat?

Cheers

BobG

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on September 09, 2010, 02:13:35 am by Old Popsider »
BobG wrote:
I'd have thought so. Might have to plan to buy a lot of A boards though. How long will each one last......? Be a bit of a job gluign on the latest notice, setting them up and then collecting them again afterwards. Can't we give some yoof a tenner a week or summat?

Cheers

BobG

No need for glue, there are A-boards available that have a hinged flexi-perspex cover. Simply lift the cover and put the poster onto the board. Not much need to take the previous poster away, simply place the latest one on top of the last one. Take them off when there's half a dozen or so & put them in a recycle bin  somewhere.

I'm sure a few VSC members would be willing to help out - not me though being an exile darn sarf.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on September 09, 2010, 07:58:18 am by irishcontingent »
Old Popsider wrote:
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Agree completely.  Also this may persuade more to go to the away games thus increasing the Rovers' share of the gate money.

DRFC recieve nothing from away games except cup games.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on September 09, 2010, 11:40:56 am by Superspy »
irishcontingent wrote:
Old Popsider wrote:
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Agree completely.  Also this may persuade more to go to the away games thus increasing the Rovers' share of the gate money.

DRFC recieve nothing from away games except cup games.

i was always lead to believe away teams received 10% of the gate?

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on September 09, 2010, 01:38:26 pm by irishcontingent »
Well, i can catergorically state that since 1980 away teams get nothing ( except in cup competitions , where travel and accommodation expense is covered and then a % of gate ( which i believe to be 25% ).

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on September 10, 2010, 12:39:56 am by Old Popsider »
irishcontingent wrote:
Well, i can catergorically state that since 1980 away teams get nothing ( except in cup competitions , where travel and accommodation expense is covered and then a % of gate ( which i believe to be 25% ).

We live and learn eh.

That was always a useful source of a bit extra income.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on September 10, 2010, 04:45:14 pm by ian1980 »
Old Popsider wrote:
No need for glue, there are A-boards available that have a hinged flexi-perspex cover. Simply lift the cover and put the poster onto the board. Not much need to take the previous poster away, simply place the latest one on top of the last one. Take them off when there's half a dozen or so & put them in a recycle bin  somewhere.

I'm sure a few VSC members would be willing to help out - not me though being an exile darn sarf.

I have actually just seen these advertised in Heatherbank (printers on Wheatley Hall Rd, next to Homebase) The roadside 'A' frame and full colour poster £99. After that you just pay for a new poster (think its A3 size) and insert over the old one, under the perspex cover.

Probably be able to find them cheaper as well if you shop around

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on September 10, 2010, 05:08:04 pm by Superspy »
30 quid on ebay for the roadside standalone ones, plus poster of course.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on September 10, 2010, 08:38:57 pm by Old Popsider »
Superspy wrote:
30 quid on ebay for the roadside standalone ones, plus poster of course.

GARTOM

Over to you mate.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on September 10, 2010, 10:19:27 pm by RobTheRover »
Gartom is in Spain on business at the mo, so you've got me instead! ;-)

I have access to an A0 size (roughtly 4ft x 3ft prints) HP plotter, so getting the right A frame would just about cover it.

However, we would need permission from the council under Highway Enforcement legislation, and would have no hope if we were to obstruct a footway with them.  I have a pal (a big Rovers fan) who knows all there is to know about Highway related matters, so I'll float it past him.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on September 11, 2010, 03:20:24 am by Old Popsider »
RobTheRover wrote:
Gartom is in Spain on business at the mo, so you've got me instead! ;-)

I have access to an A0 size (roughtly 4ft x 3ft prints) HP plotter, so getting the right A frame would just about cover it.

However, we would need permission from the council under Highway Enforcement legislation, and would have no hope if we were to obstruct a footway with them.  I have a pal (a big Rovers fan) who knows all there is to know about Highway related matters, so I'll float it past him.

Nice one. Would the inside of somewhere like say the Frenchgate Centre come under such ruling or the inside of the station? Mind you I suppose whoever the rail operator is would have to be approached on that one. I think that the shopping outlet by KMS is privately owned, so again might not come under the auspices of the Council. Possibly wrong on that one. Do any of the town centre shops who stick an A frame outside their shop to advertise get any problems from the Highways folk? Interesting.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on September 11, 2010, 12:59:51 pm by Standanista »
Marketing Plan 1: Have a go in the Free Press.  Failblog.

Time to wheel out Marketing Plan 2, John, get some bums on seats.  Only yourself to blame.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on September 11, 2010, 02:19:12 pm by RobTheRover »
Old Popsider wrote:
Do any of the town centre shops who stick an A frame outside their shop to advertise get any problems from the Highways folk? Interesting.

Oh yes.  The council fights a losing battle.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on September 11, 2010, 02:52:07 pm by donnybez »
Why don't we target for any future ad campaign the St Ledger Festival for advertisement campaigning? An alternative is using local media and regional newspapers (not the Leeds post but that proper yorkshire paper)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012