Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:12:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Crappiest away ground you've been to  (Read 6765 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:Crappiest away ground you've been to
« Reply #30 on September 24, 2010, 09:26:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The Red Baron wrote:
Luton is a ghastly place- the town as well as the ground. Anyone who comes out with the \"it's grim up north\" stuff should have to spend a week in Luton.

Newport's Somerton Park was something else. I couldn't believe how bad it was when I went there in the mid-80s. The site is now covered with a housing estate, as I noted when I travelled back on the train from Cardiff the other week.

Standing on what appeared to be wet sand at The Shay was an interesting experience. They've tarted it up quite a bit now.

Luton. Dear sweet Jesus, what a God-awful place. If the Rooskies had seen that place in the 80s, it would have given renewed hope that Capitalism was as fundamentally flawed as Marx predicted.

Anyone over the age of 40 remember driving down past Luton on the M1 in the 80s - there's a railway bridge over the motorway, which used to have grafitti saying \"Welcome to a Town Called Malice.\"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 24, 2010, 12:42:35 pm by turnbull for england »
in the interests of fairness, obv's away end in its full uncovered security fence glory must have been a pretty poor place to watch a game

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 24, 2010, 04:02:18 pm by RedRover45 »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Having been to Hayes last December, I didn't think it was all that bad. It's very similar to a lot of Conference North/South grounds and is better than the likes of Stafford, Maidenhead, etc.

The Rockingham Triangle at Corby is an absolute dump as well, and definately deserves a mention in this thread.

Not bad for the price you paid to get in though you cheapskate lol.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 24, 2010, 05:59:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think Luton should be preserved as a Listed building so that everyone can see what old fashioned grounds used to be like.

I think it is fairly unique the ways it's surrounded by the houses and even have to go 'through' the houses to get in !

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 24, 2010, 06:51:14 pm by Standanista »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Anyone over the age of 40 remember driving down past Luton on the M1 in the 80s - there's a railway bridge over the motorway, which used to have grafitti saying \"Welcome to a Town Called Malice.\"

Or the decades-standing (but now sadly painted over) North Circular overbridge landmark quote: \"M.KHAN IS GAY\"?

islerover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 24, 2010, 07:41:40 pm by islerover »
Whitby Town & Sutton Colefield in the FA cup in the eighties

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 24, 2010, 07:44:22 pm by DINGLE »
Rovers and Rotherham's old grounds

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 25, 2010, 02:30:48 am by BobG »
Red Baron: who used to play at Watling Street then? I can't for the life of me remember that one.

Somerton park? An right experience that was. But I liked, and like, the place. On my only visist there, a frosty Friday night, Rovers won 3-2 and Peter Kitchen scored the best goal I have ever, and will ever, see. (\"Oh God! He's off on that subject again\" Dutch Uncle will say :) ) Great ground for me Somerton Park :)

Cheers

BobG

Mark DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 25, 2010, 10:23:19 am by Mark DRFC »
Millmoor and don valley are as bad as each other, i never liked saltergate either, kennilworth road was a dump so was preistfield with the scaffolding. Billingham synthonia when we played in a preseason friendly was a field with a stand at one side, exeters away end wasnt great. the worst i would have to say was possibly boston or york for me.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 25, 2010, 10:44:17 am by The Red Baron »
BobG wrote:
Red Baron: who used to play at Watling Street then? I can't for the life of me remember that one.

Somerton park? An right experience that was. But I liked, and like, the place. On my only visist there, a frosty Friday night, Rovers won 3-2 and Peter Kitchen scored the best goal I have ever, and will ever, see. (\"Oh God! He's off on that subject again\" Dutch Uncle will say :) ) Great ground for me Somerton Park :)

Cheers

BobG

Watling Street was actually Dartford's ground, but Maidstone played there while they were in the League. Like Somerton Park it is now a housing estate.

I saw us win 1-0 there in 1990-91. I think Mark Rankine scored.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 25, 2010, 03:00:32 pm by Old Popsider »
Hayes, yes that was a shithole.  The only blessing about Roots Hall was it had the little cafe bar where they did pies n tea at half time. Seating was cramped.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012