Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:20:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Martin Woods interview  (Read 2385 times)

YEP Digital

• Forum Member
Martin Woods interview
« on October 04, 2010, 10:30:28 am by YEP Digital »
Life's pretty sweet for Martin Woods, although he's not totally satisfied just yet...

The talented Airdrie-born ace recently penned a new three-year deal with Doncaster Rovers and with his domestic footballing future settled, the 24-year-old's horizons are gravitating towards the international sphere.

Click on the link for full interview: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/doncasterrovers/Doncaster-Rovers-Martin-Woods-interview.6563722.jp

:cheer: :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re:Martin Woods interview
« Reply #1 on October 04, 2010, 10:08:56 pm by Branton Rover »
Martin has certainly come on as a player & he's matured also as a bloke.  He's certainly good enough for international football

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 04, 2010, 10:11:44 pm by bobbymax »
If my name had been mcbobbymax, I reckon I'd have stood a chance of getting in the current Scotland team!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 04, 2010, 11:24:38 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He's still only 24?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 05, 2010, 08:04:00 am by Nudga »
Just my opinion but every time I see MW he has looked average at best. Nowhere near International calibre yet. His free kicks and corners are absolutely shocking, he doesn't retain possesion very well and he can't run games or drag us back into a game like a fully fit Brian Stock can.
Never understood why Wilson gets so much stick when Woods couldn't put a good cross in St George's. Anyway, i'm not a fan of his, I think he's a stroker.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 05, 2010, 09:22:11 am by CusworthRovers »
Whilst we may share many similarities (perceived by others), I'm not sure I agree with your assessment there mi old butt plug.

Granted, I'm not saying Woods is a starting International or Prem class (yet), but I do feel he's been worthy of a call up just to mingle with the squad. I'm basing that on the current calibre of the Scottish Squad too.

Free kicks and corners are shocking is an old chestnut that's stuck with him from day 1 and I feel he's been stigmatised, a bit like we do with all our players who come in for the fans' furore. They do something wrong once or twice and for some reason they do it all the time even when they aren't actually doing it.

I have to say, and I would be shocked if anybody said otherwise, his corners have been 1st class and I mean first class. We have scored from a few too, both this and last season. But that seems to be forgotten for the one bad one. They have been whipped in at pace and with curl and really look a threat IMO

Free kicks is again, something he has vastly improved on IMO. We can't have everyone flying into the top corner and we can't have everyone Ronaldo-esque. By no means the best in the world, but he's getting better. Again, when others inclusive of my hero Stock do a bad one, then it's left alone. He's done a few bad free kicks and corners, but he's not labelled like Woods is.

I think expectations are too high again. At the end of the day, Sean must think Woods is the best at dead-ball situations with what we have, otherwise he wouldn't be taking them all. Are we all better judges/managers than Sean?.

Is there a stat for most assists, as I would be shocked if Woodsy was not the top or near top.

Again, I feel Woods has been tremendous for us this season thus far, and first season apart, I feel he has been a tremendous player for us. I bet any money that if Sean was interviewed today he would cite Woods has being his most influencial player.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 05, 2010, 09:47:40 am by Nudga »
I did say that I based my opinion of what i've seen of him. Granted, I don't go as often as you so my comments may be unfair. He must just play dog shit when i go.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 05, 2010, 10:01:03 am by CusworthRovers »
Just cos I go a lot, doesn't make my argument true mucker. Again, like you, it's just my opinion. If this go's to form, many will join in this and agree with you saying he's shite and don't let him near a dead-ball, he can't pass, blah blah blah.

I think it was DNnumber4 who I had a little debate with before the Hull game. I asked him and others to watch the game and how Woods moves and where he puts himself, how he makes himself available to all the players; without the blinkers on, or the pre-judged deep set idea on Woods that's there before KO. I may have dropped lucky, but he scored, hit some cracking free kicks, took the sweet corner that resulted in the penalty and other good corners, set Copps up and I think he got MoM (but the MoM is immaterial). In short, he did nothing that game, that I haven't seen in all the others.........needless to say all the critics were notably absent post match

Like I said, there must be something as he's probs the first player on the sheet with JOC, Billy and Sulli or in another way, he's probably the only midfielder assured of his place at this moment. He's the captain. He's clearly rated highly by his colleagues and the club management. He's wanted by a club perceived equal or bigger than us. He knows himself he's in the form of his life and really enjoying it............after all that, all we get is 'he's shit'

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 05, 2010, 12:07:01 pm by wing commander »
Well for me he hasnt progressed quite as i much as hoped,he is the clubs set piece man but for how long should be questioned as the previous point is valid he just isnt consistent enough at set pieces.He has a lot of talent no doubt about that but seems to have hit a wall in his progression and i thought he was the worse player on the pitch saturday.I think he may be confused on what his role in the team is his tbh.International footballer?, not yet,well unless he has a relative in the Faroe Islands..He has the potential still to become one but the next two seasons will decide his carear...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012