Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:25:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Andy Warrington  (Read 6284 times)

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
Andy Warrington
« on November 25, 2010, 08:15:13 pm by Wokingviking »
(This is nowt to do with Sulli btw)

I always thought it sad that we got rid of Andy.  Gave us 5 of the best years of his career for us playing Conference football when he should have been in the FL of course.

Still only 34, wonder whether he'd cut it at Championship level?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

lee.j09

• Forum Member
Re:Andy Warrington
« Reply #1 on November 25, 2010, 08:25:42 pm by lee.j09 »
lets move on, look to the future

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on November 25, 2010, 08:31:04 pm by VikingJames »
Surely we can still discuss former players?

I think Andy is a great keeper for the lower leagues. He is one of the best shot-stoppers I have ever seen. Was always a bit suspect when coming off his goal-line though, and that was probably the only thing that has held him back from playing at a higher level.

I thought we were wrong to get rid of him at the time as well. Even though we did bring Sully in, Warrington was definitely a better keeper than Ben Smith, and was much more consistent than Blayney.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 25, 2010, 08:43:21 pm by gillinghamrover »
VikingJames wrote:

I think Andy is a great keeper for the lower leagues.

Answered your own question there!! ;)

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on November 25, 2010, 08:46:16 pm by VikingJames »
gillinghamrover wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

I think Andy is a great keeper for the lower leagues.

:dry:

Question was for leej09.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 25, 2010, 08:51:44 pm by gillinghamrover »
VikingJames wrote:

Question was for leej09.

PM him then, this is a public forum. If you don`t want feedback/opinions don`t post.:headbang:

VikingJames

« Reply #6 on November 25, 2010, 09:01:28 pm by VikingJames »
gillinghamrover wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

Question was for leej09.

PM him then, this is a public forum. If you don`t want feedback/opinions don`t post.:headbang:

Oh... you've got the wrong end of the stick. Never mind.

leej09 said:
lets move on, look to the future

I said:
Surely we can still discuss former players?

It was a rhetorical question really. Hardly something I'm going to PM him with. I didn't understand your first post in the first place tbh, there wasn't an awful lot wrong with my post so I'm not sure what you were getting at.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 25, 2010, 09:05:18 pm by gillinghamrover »
Re-read posts, apologies if I`ve grabbed the wrong end of the stick, no harm meant!

DRFCTom

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 25, 2010, 09:22:34 pm by DRFCTom »
I liked Jan Budtz.. Look where he ended up :/

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 25, 2010, 09:50:15 pm by benaldo »
DRFCTom wrote:

A few matches ago Jan Budtz and his extrodinarily attractive girlfriend came to watch the rovers, they were sitting a few seats along from me. Part way through the first half the announcer boomed out across the speakers \"Will the owner of a renault scenic, registration blah blah please return to it as it is illegally parked\", I happened to be ogling Mrs Budtz at the time and noticed Jan got his car keys out, laughed out loud, then left his seat.

I resisted temptation and remained in my seat, what with me not being a 6 foot 4 attractive young man.

I always thought Budtz would turn out good, don't know where he is now.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 25, 2010, 10:31:55 pm by mushRTID »
Said it before, we got rid of Warrington too soon.

My favourite rovers keeper of my time.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2010, 11:29:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just at the right time for me.

With Andy, it was too much like \"Don't panic, don't panic  Mr Mainwaring !\". He was all over the place far too often to the detriment of the back four.

Sully took us to the next level of goalkeepers. He has the presence that Andy didn't have and although, on a few occasions, Sully himself can be indecisive, he still makes things look a lot easier that what they are.

Wembley Final. In my opinion, we wouldn't have won it if Andy was in goal, in fact we wouldn't have got in to play-offs.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 25, 2010, 11:41:20 pm by BobG »
Much as it hurts to say it Baz, I agree wholeheartedly. Andy was a shot stopper. Not a full on goalkeeper.

Cheers

BobG

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 26, 2010, 12:25:33 am by Viking Don »
BobG wrote:
Much as it hurts to say it Baz, I agree wholeheartedly. Andy was a shot stopper. Not a full on goalkeeper.

Cheers

BobG

And I know you were there at the memorial ground Bob. That was one of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen. Scunny away same season anyone? Pretty much every game in the season we won the old 3rd division, when we equalled the lowest goals against record in (our) history? Had to have had a good goalkeeper surely? Andy was top class. I'll always say that, I saw him save certain goals, you know, when you want to look away because you know they've scored, yet he saved 'em. Legend. I saw almost every game that season.

Edit: I'm not related or anything but I do think folk sholud acknowledge the fact that he was our goalkeeper when we let in the least number of goals in our history. I'm not sure what is expected of a goalkeeper, other than stopping people scoring. A little stupid dance maybe? That'll make us feel fantastic wont it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 26, 2010, 01:48:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Viking Don wrote:
BobG wrote:

Cheers

BobG

And I know you were there at the memorial ground Bob. That was one of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen. Scunny away same season anyone? Pretty much every game in the season we won the old 3rd division, when we equalled the lowest goals against record in (our) history? Had to have had a good goalkeeper surely? Andy was top class. I'll always say that, I saw him save certain goals, you know, when you want to look away because you know they've scored, yet he saved 'em. Legend. I saw almost every game that season.

Edit: I'm not related or anything but I do think folk sholud acknowledge the fact that he was our goalkeeper when we let in the least number of goals in our history. I'm not sure what is expected of a goalkeeper, other than stopping people scoring. A little stupid dance maybe? That'll make us feel fantastic wont it.

Bill Buford's book Among the Thugs has in it a short chapter that is one of the finest pieces of writing about football you'll ever read. He was an American, attending his first every football match - Cambridge vs Millwall. Said the match was shite, it pissed it down, Abbey Stadium was a death trap. And THEN. He experienced what it is that makes football different. A goalkeeping slip, a deflected shot looping over him and falling, agonisingly towards the line. Keeper desperately clawing back towards the ball. Ball trickling over the line. The whole crowd holding its breath.

He called it Dead Time.

You stop and think how often it happens to you at a football match. It's that moment when.....YESSS! The moment between the ball leaving the foot and rippling the net. The holding of the breath when the player goes one on one with the keeper. It's THE height of football emotion.

Andy Warrington gave me the single most heart stopping Dead Time moment in my life. More even that when that ball came across the box to Franny. It was the moment that the ball left Dave Cameron's toe, straight into the top corner of our net at the Deva in the Conf play-off semi. 90 seconds to go. We've lost 3-2 on aggregate. The whole season collapsed. Another f**king trip to Leigh RMI. No Conference final. No 3rd Division title. No League Cup run. No JPT Trophy. No Hayter at Wembley. No edge-of-the-play-offs-in-the-Championship. bas**rd!

All those thoughts in 0.5seconds of Dead Time.

And then Andy Warrington's left fingertips touched the ball over the bar. Jesus Christ up above to this day doesn't know how he reached it. It wasn't possible. But he did it.

If he HADN'T done it, where would we be now?

Rovers Legend for that one moment alone.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 26, 2010, 08:01:30 am by Sheepskin Stu »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

It was the moment that the ball left Dave Cameron's toe, straight into the top corner of our net at the Deva in the Conf play-off semi.

And then Andy Warrington's left fingertips touched the ball over the bar. Jesus Christ up above to this day doesn't know how he reached it. It wasn't possible. But he did it.

It was the bottom corner wasn't it? Tipped 'round the post? One of the finest saves in the club's history surely.

fudgepacker

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 26, 2010, 09:15:55 am by fudgepacker »
benaldo wrote:
DRFCTom wrote:

A few matches ago Jan Budtz and his extrodinarily attractive girlfriend came to watch the rovers, they were sitting a few seats along from me. Part way through the first half the announcer boomed out across the speakers \"Will the owner of a renault scenic, registration blah blah please return to it as it is illegally parked\", I happened to be ogling Mrs Budtz at the time and noticed Jan got his car keys out, laughed out loud, then left his seat.

I resisted temptation and remained in my seat, what with me not being a 6 foot 4 attractive young man.

I didn't know until I googled him - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Budtz

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 26, 2010, 10:06:10 am by Rios »
benaldo wrote:
DRFCTom wrote:

Jan Butdz is now at Stalybridge.  Have seen him play a couple of times and he hasn't changed.  Still capable of making world class saves, still drops huge clangers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 26, 2010, 10:26:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Sheepskin Stu wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

It was the moment that the ball left Dave Cameron's toe, straight into the top corner of our net at the Deva in the Conf play-off semi.

It was the bottom corner wasn't it? Tipped 'round the post? One of the finest saves in the club's history surely.

Maybe it was. I lost the will to live in the 500 miliseconds it took the ball to move from toe to finger so my memory might be a bit sketchy.

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 26, 2010, 10:32:59 am by Wokingviking »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Sheepskin Stu wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

Maybe it was. I lost the will to live in the 500 miliseconds it took the ball to move from toe to finger so my memory might be a bit sketchy.

Your celebrated prose lifted me once again BST... and now I find out you distort the truth at will.  I wonder if your missus writes for you really... BST aka J. Archer.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 26, 2010, 01:46:49 pm by Filo »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Viking Don wrote:
BobG wrote:

Cheers

BobG

Bill Buford's book Among the Thugs has in it a short chapter that is one of the finest pieces of writing about football you'll ever read. He was an American, attending his first every football match - Cambridge vs Millwall. Said the match was shite, it pissed it down, Abbey Stadium was a death trap. And THEN. He experienced what it is that makes football different. A goalkeeping slip, a deflected shot looping over him and falling, agonisingly towards the line. Keeper desperately clawing back towards the ball. Ball trickling over the line. The whole crowd holding its breath.

He called it Dead Time.

You stop and think how often it happens to you at a football match. It's that moment when.....YESSS! The moment between the ball leaving the foot and rippling the net. The holding of the breath when the player goes one on one with the keeper. It's THE height of football emotion.

Andy Warrington gave me the single most heart stopping Dead Time moment in my life. More even that when that ball came across the box to Franny. It was the moment that the ball left Dave Cameron's toe, straight into the top corner of our net at the Deva in the Conf play-off semi. 90 seconds to go. We've lost 3-2 on aggregate. The whole season collapsed. Another fcuking trip to Leigh RMI. No Conference final. No 3rd Division title. No League Cup run. No JPT Trophy. No Hayter at Wembley. No edge-of-the-play-offs-in-the-Championship. bas**rd!

All those thoughts in 0.5seconds of Dead Time.

If he HADN'T done it, where would we be now?

Rovers Legend for that one moment alone.

And now we know why you dislike the present Prime minister so much!  :laugh:  :laugh:

ch-ch rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 26, 2010, 03:28:50 pm by ch-ch rover »
Never seen Andy play live but shot stopping is the easy part of goalkeeping and the easiest to coach

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 26, 2010, 11:01:29 pm by Viking Don »
ch-ch rover wrote:
Never seen Andy play live but shot stopping is the easy part of goalkeeping and the easiest to coach

By that I take it that you think Andy was a shot-stopper? You never saw him so I'm not sure why you'd contribute to this thread. Did someone say he was a shot-stopper? Did you believe that?

He was (maybe still is) a very good goalkeeper. I don't disagree with Bob often, but this is one going back a few years and I am right, I saw him play, Bob got reports (mainly, sorry Bob  ;) ).

Nice post BST btw, it's amazing how time slows down in those moments and everything is under a microscope. I can barely remember what I had for tea, but some of those moments live forever.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 26, 2010, 11:19:57 pm by Savvy »
DRFCTom wrote:

Me too! Problem was we had that cock snogger Richardson as goalkeeping coach at the time....he probably taught him all that he knew!!!!        

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 26, 2010, 11:29:30 pm by Viking Don »
Cock snogger. LOL, phrase of the week. I'm using that.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 26, 2010, 11:30:09 pm by gillinghamrover »
ch-ch rover wrote:

Eh? Andy Warrington was one of the main reasons we(Rovers) got back in the league. He is also still a quality keeper(at Rotherscums level, may seem conceited, but my opinion).  Where in the goal keeping handbook does it say shot stopping is easy? Tell that to Robert Green and many others who`ve failed in the \"easiest to coach\" discipline.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 27, 2010, 01:01:31 am by BobG »
All these posts are about Andy stopping shots. he was ace at that. he's always been ace at that. But he's still not a great goalkeeper. He was, is and will forever be a right dodgy lad on crosses. That's why he's not still with us I suspect. That's why he's not a patch on Sully. That's why, although I love him dearly and do not deny any of the claims made about his saves, he was and is simply not upto our current level. Sorry Don mate. Your'e the one who's wrong. Just ask yourself - if he was as good as you and others claim, why was he allowed to leave?

BobG

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 27, 2010, 01:12:13 am by Viking Don »
Two words Bob me old mucker, you know I love yer...but

Neil Sullivan.

That's why. Sully is without doubt the best keeper I've seen play for Rovers with his confidence and general attitude. I know folk rate Dennis, but the last two keepers we've had have been the best.

Ye, I'm still up. And I still want you to defend your opinion against the least goals scored in a season. Please noone tell me that the strikers are better at this level, because our defenders are also.

Edit: I'm really just thinking of the man himself, he's not dead or anything and is probably reading this thread (wouldn't you if it was about you?) so just want balance and him to know how highly a lot of fans think of him.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 27, 2010, 01:27:01 am by BobG »
I give up mate :):) My head hurts. I've spent the night drafting a bloody letter to the Chief Exec of the local Council on behalf of someone who is being shafted by said w**kers and doesn't know what to do next.

Andy was a fab shot stopper. It's my personal opinion he was dodgy with crosses. If that assertion is true he can't, by definition almost, be a great, or even a good,  goalie.

So what was he like on crosses? Am I imagining his dodginess?

Cheers

BobG

PS I did see him quite a lot y'know :)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 27, 2010, 01:35:18 am by Viking Don »
BobG wrote:
I give up mate :):)

I win then. Get to bed.

Crosses? Hey, name me a keeper who hasn't fcuked up on crosses. You know I'm not saying he should still be here, I'm just saying we should pay homage to the lad for his efforts for us, not say he wasn't a good goalkeeper when that was his job and he holds the record for least goals scored against us in a season. I didn't start this thread but I will always defend the man, he is a very important part of our recent history.

You can only really judge a keeper by how many goals he lets in, not by how fans percieve them. The fewer the better, so I rest my case.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012