Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 11:21:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great win tonight  (Read 6684 times)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
Great win tonight
« on December 17, 2010, 10:22:25 pm by Viking Don »
Considering the makeshift defence. Thought they coped pretty well with a poor Boro side looking like relegation candidates. They've got some very good players but look totally without any confidence.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, a fair distance between us and that team down the road now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re:Great win tonight
« Reply #1 on December 17, 2010, 10:31:02 pm by Filo »
For once we got a break, a last gasp winner, it feels good! apart from the first 10 minutes the defence did ok, but i fear a better side will tear us apart with that defence, but they don`t deserve knocking, we had 2 centre halfs playing full back and it showed, but if thats all we`ve got fit at the moment then they`ll have to do.

I thought there was only going to be one winner in the last 15 minutes, and it was n`t us, we looked dead on our feet! I think the pitch played a big part in the game tonight, and i dare say that if the ref had known it was going to freeze up that quick, the game would n`t have gone ahead! But we`re back on winning tracks, and i`ll take that!

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on December 17, 2010, 10:47:13 pm by VikingJames »
Thought it was a pretty even game, but we kept going until the end which was good to see. Great to see Stock get the winner - his first goal since Charlton away in the first season in this league.

Back four was far from convincing, but I suppose you have to make the best of what you've got. Good to hear JR on the radio tonight saying that getting a defender in January is a priority.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 17, 2010, 10:55:40 pm by Viking Don »
I feared the worst when I saw the line-up and thought we were going to be on the end of another trashing after their first. A better side would have seen how frail we looked at the back and took confidence from that and pressed for more, but Boro just seemed happy to have actually scored (only their 5th away goal), letting our midfield take control. After that I didn't think they troubled us at all really until the last 15 minutes of the second half ( and even that was mostly just my nerves!).

My view is that Boro are going down on that form, and this was a good time for us to play a poor side. A better side could have taken us apart.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 17, 2010, 10:56:08 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Felt we'd have walked it with some full backs on we lacked width because of that.  But, I did think that the defence did well.  That tackle from Sam second half - he was my MOTM by the way, superb tonight.

Another Sulli mistake is a worry but he did make some good saves.  Really impressed with how the heads got together at 1-0 down though, we looked unorganised but they dug in and found rythm.  Very, very makeshift but we got the points with a bit of luck and we were due that.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 17, 2010, 11:01:26 pm by RedJ »
I don't rate Shelton Martis, but I thought he did excellently tonight. He's got a dangerous cross on him when he whips it in.

donnyspur

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 17, 2010, 11:04:13 pm by donnyspur »
We played with 5 centre halves in all tonight and got away with it. It was a great win tonight, especially to get it in the last seconds, that felt great. Lets hope we get the injuries sorted out and get back to full strength as we are capable of having the best season ever. Hayter kept his great run going and the defence was solid. And that was the tackle of the match by Hird near the end.
Great win and lets go on, with 2 very winable home games to come, lets hope we pinch a result at Derby to go with it....WITH SOD AT THE HELM !!!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 17, 2010, 11:05:12 pm by Filo »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Felt we'd have walked it with some full backs on

My thoughts exactly during the game, with 2 full backs pushing on we would have taken them to the cleaners1 They looked very uncomfortable when you pressured them on the ball!

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 17, 2010, 11:05:39 pm by Woodhead Passer »
MOM for me was Billy, worked his socks off once again, his work rate is just brilliant! Never gave up even when he was frustrated when he had no service.

Martis wasn't far off the MOM aswell, thought he was a great full back. Even though he isn't fast he still did well to say its his 2nd game at RB.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 17, 2010, 11:09:18 pm by Filo »
It does appear that we have another defender injured with Souza limping off and worryingly Copps looked like he picked up an injury as well

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 17, 2010, 11:12:50 pm by Viking Don »
I'm amazed a few more didn't limp off, the pitch must have been solid, all around was. I thought it was going to be abandoned at half time TBH.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 17, 2010, 11:19:04 pm by Filo »
I think alot thought it had been abandoned at half time after that strange announcement about the pitch not being fit for a hallamshire game tomorrow.

To be fair though, the players seemed to be ok under foot, no one wis slipping over at all, though the ref had a look at the South Stand 6 yard box at around the 55 minute mark

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 17, 2010, 11:22:25 pm by Viking Don »
Don't tell me you missed Copps taking out the linesman? There were a few slipping near us in the East stand, much to our amusement!

Bikka

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 17, 2010, 11:25:39 pm by Bikka »
Good win, but thought we were lucky they looked like the only team likely to score 20 mins from the end.

Worried Copps has done his hamstring, and Martis and Souza looked to have injuries too.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 17, 2010, 11:35:31 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I was told (some on here know who by)  before the start of the game that the ref was basically going to start the game and see how the pitch held up, there was a good possibility it was going to be abandoned, and if you watched the ref anybody could see it was a close call

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 17, 2010, 11:43:30 pm by hoolahoop »
Great win, time we did to others what they usually do to us. Apart from one or two of our players I thought we played a very committed game despite our strange line-up.
Boro' are a very poor team and we were lucky to meet them when we were at our lowest ebb............they are going down along with the tossers up the road.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 17, 2010, 11:51:41 pm by Viking Don »
Just thought I'd add that our defence was hugely bolstered by the performances of Mark Wilson and Brian Stock. They pretty much kept everything out and pressed us forwards. Best Stocky has played all season for me and my MotM. Now where's the pen?

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 18, 2010, 12:05:43 am by DadsleyRover »
After the start I too thought we were going to get turned over by Boro but we came back and got a good equaliser from Hayter.
The winner was a great Christmas bonus. We have had the points taken from us in the same circumstances before so its a bit of pay back.
Thought they were poor.
And to win a game with five fullbacks on the team sheet was fantastic.
As fullbacks Martis and Souza were slow and bad at passing it was good to see Mills come on and inject some pace.
Lets hope the injuries are nearly over and that team will not appear again.
Great result made my beer go down great.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 18, 2010, 12:19:31 am by Superspy »
just to add my own bit, i too thought wilson and stock were great today. i'm another that thought we might get spanked after their first one, but it was good to see the lads calm things down a bit with some slick passing and getting the ball on their side to get things going again. martis did reasonably well at right back for me again, although i wasn't overly impressed with souza, and its good to see mills back. that goal creeping in at the death was a fantastic feeling, due to the luck we've been having lately i half expected it being ruled out for some nonsensical reason.

overall a win we desperately needed, its just a shame it looks like we'll be taking on derby with a bodged up defense for the second time this season.

Bikka

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 18, 2010, 12:32:47 am by Bikka »
Chambers and Gillett were training on the pitch before the game, so hopefully they are not too far away from getting back in the team.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 18, 2010, 12:33:14 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Can't really fault any of the team tonight. Everyone worked hard. I thought they all had a pretty good game considering the conditions. Even the defence looked pretty solid. Sousa looked pretty steady too I thought.

We deserved a bit of luck and we got it. Chuffed to bits that goal went in.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 18, 2010, 12:53:23 am by RedJ »
Viking Don wrote:
Don't tell me you missed Copps taking out the linesman? There were a few slipping near us in the East stand, much to our amusement!

:lol: god that was hilarious!

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 18, 2010, 01:02:17 am by Akinfenwa »
I thought that Souza was cack although I understand that he was played out of position. We looked better at the back when Mills came on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 18, 2010, 02:33:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ha ha ! Sloppy goal scored in injury time. For the Rovers ? Bloody hell ! It was only a matter of time before the footballing gods gave us something.

There's more to come. Given that side we put out tonight, against a team with players who should be brushing us aside, shows we ain't done yet.

As said before, we can understand why Sean could be interested in the Blades job looking at the longer term. I just think he may be persuaded to stay to the end of the season at least to see if he can carry this job through.

If he goes, it suggests he thinks we have little chance of making the play-offs, but if he allows himself to look at the table and realise we are only 3 points off, he owes it to himself and the players to give it their best shot.

Not out of love for Doncaster Rovers, not out of earning a big pay day, but for the love of achieving something that may never be repeated.

That's all the challenge he needs.

Go for it Sean, and if we fail then you have our blessing, but don't walk away when you could fulfil so many peoples ambitions and add another chapter to your CV.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 18, 2010, 07:43:04 am by donnybel »
Don't you just love it when the ball trickles over the line!!  Got to say I was quietly confident of winning, even with the makeshift defence.  When Wilson starts we usually win.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 18, 2010, 08:02:36 am by donnievic »
Well chuffed with the result last night and bar the 1st 10 mins i thought we were the better side and everyone gave it their all in what i thought was going to be another Derby or Boro(last season)result with a patched up side.My MOM was Stock followed closely by Wilson and Lockwood.Also it's about time we had sum luck and score late winners,SOD always seemed to get a few when manager at Bournemouth.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 18, 2010, 08:29:48 am by thumper »
agree with previous posts, its about time we got a late winner! makes up for the late goal we conceded against swansea!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 18, 2010, 09:05:26 am by DonnyNoel »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Ha ha ! Sloppy goal scored in injury time. For the Rovers ? Bloody hell ! It was only a matter of time before the footballing gods gave us something.

There's more to come. Given that side we put out tonight, against a team with players who should be brushing us aside, shows we ain't done yet.

Agreed - I would think they have some players pushing 7 figure salaries. Boyd on their bench is probably on more than the 6 DRFC players on our bench (ie Healey excluded) combined.

What SOD would do with a budget like that...

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 18, 2010, 09:18:29 am by Woodhead Passer »
We did score in the 94th minute to equslise vs Watford :P

Not complaining though ;)

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 18, 2010, 10:00:56 am by Arsenal Of The North »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:

As said before, we can understand why Sean could be interested in the Blades job looking at the longer term. I just think he may be persuaded to stay to the end of the season at least to see if he can carry this job through.

If he goes, it suggests he thinks we have little chance of making the play-offs, but if he allows himself to look at the table and realise we are only 3 points off, he owes it to himself and the players to give it their best shot.

Not out of love for Doncaster Rovers, not out of earning a big pay day, but for the love of achieving something that may never be repeated.

That's all the challenge he needs.

Go for it Sean, and if we fail then you have our blessing, but don't walk away when you could fulfil so many peoples ambitions and add another chapter to your CV.

couldnt agree with that any more pal!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012