Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:29:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers sign new midfielder from Spain.....  (Read 7000 times)

Gartom

• Forum Member
Rovers sign new midfielder from Spain.....
« on January 31, 2011, 03:19:34 pm by Gartom »
Rovers Raid the Hoddle Academy
Doncaster Rovers manager Sean O'Driscoll has acted to strengthen his midfield with the signing of promising 23 year old Ryan Burge from Jerez Industrial CF on a professional contract until June 2011 subject to international clearance. The Spanish club are part of the Glenn Hoddle Academy and play in the Spanish fourth tier. Ryan has had a varied start to his professional career before settling at Jerez. When he was starting his career at the age of 15, Ryan, was already rated very highly and was offered contracts by both Manchester United and Manchester City. In the same season he also won player of the tournament playing for Coventry City in a tournament in Holland and was attracting interest from the Ajax academy, where he later spent time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
Re:Rovers sign new midfielder from Spain.....
« Reply #2 on January 31, 2011, 03:31:28 pm by DonnyRTID »
Great news.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 31, 2011, 03:46:00 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kip5h_UVqmw[/video]

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 31, 2011, 03:48:51 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Six foot tall and 11st 8lbs a little bit more robust than what we have. Let's hope he's learned a lot from Hoddle because we need a player who can create space to get our passing game going again.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 31, 2011, 03:53:42 pm by inSODwetrust »
'Kin hell, he can shoot from more than 10yards out and he can tackle! We must be on to something good!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 31, 2011, 03:59:49 pm by Filo »
Snods Shinpad 2 wrote:

From that video, he looks like he`s their playmaker, looks like he`s got a turn of pace, predominantly left footed, I don`t think his right foot touched the ball, one for Stock to nurture?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 31, 2011, 04:07:37 pm by VivaRovers »
He'll need to cut all that unecessary slow-motion stuff out of his game, or he's in for short shrift from the folk near me in the West Stand.

\"Stop moving at a reduced pace in order to better highlight your technical movement and gerrit for'ard Burge!\"

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 31, 2011, 04:10:16 pm by Donnybob »
Dangerous to make assumptions from a 3 minute highlights clip but he reminded me of a certain youn Ian Snodin with the way he was always a yard faster to the ball, in the right place, great distribution and always ready for the return rather than a pass and switch off player.

Looks very young and up against a few lightweights but definitely promising.

Sincerely hope the crowd gives him time and that he does well.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 31, 2011, 04:17:46 pm by VivaRovers »
Donnybob wrote:
Dangerous to make assumptions from a 3 minute highlights clip but he reminded me of a certain youn Ian Snodin with the way he was always a yard faster to the ball, in the right place, great distribution and always ready for the return rather than a pass and switch off player.

Hahaha... inadvertantly Donnybob, you have just made my day.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 31, 2011, 04:22:16 pm by DearneValleyRover »
He can deliver a deadball by the look of that vid, another thing we lack. Very good signing hopefully.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 31, 2011, 04:38:02 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
This is another customary low risk gamble like the Keegan signing. I wonder if Sean would like to be called a \"wheeler dealer\" like his mate Harry?

VikingJames

« Reply #14 on January 31, 2011, 04:43:46 pm by VikingJames »
I wonder if we'll see anything of this one, or whether he'll go the same way as Jack Wilson, Josh Payne etc.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 31, 2011, 05:51:34 pm by Sprotyrover »
What a surprise!we have signed a 'cultured' and 'refined' midfielder
 :)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 31, 2011, 06:13:43 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Snods Shinpad 2 wrote:

Reminds me of Rod Johnson.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 31, 2011, 08:21:05 pm by Viking Don »
Says we tried to get him before he went to the Hoddle academy so one Sean's had an eye on for a while. Just listened to Sean's interview (why the hell is there ALWAYS a mobile phone interfering with the sound?) and it sounds like he's here to fill the void left by Robbie Clarke and Josh Payne, so one for the future maybe? Have to say he sounds a step up from those two though, if we believe what we read...

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 31, 2011, 08:56:53 pm by MiKA »
The \"professional contract until June 2011\" part worries me a little, we bring him over, he shines and then Derby or another flush side will come along and take him.

Being over 6\" i wonder what he's like in goal   B)  :lol:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 31, 2011, 09:18:02 pm by benaldo »
Hope his signing works out for us....for 6 months. What a daft contract! If he's any good (which he should be shouldn't he, seeing as we've signed him!), then why are we only having him for 6 months?? It's like us bringing him over here, showing him off, then letting him go for nothing.

Is this a terrible piece of business, or is it showing the power of the football agents in contract negotations?

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 31, 2011, 09:40:13 pm by mutleyrover »
Or maybe covering us for if he does not turn out to make the grade.  We can always extend his contract if he looks like becoming a regular part of the first team.

VikingJames

« Reply #21 on January 31, 2011, 09:44:20 pm by VikingJames »
benaldo wrote:
Hope his signing works out for us....for 6 months. What a daft contract! If he's any good (which he should be shouldn't he, seeing as we've signed him!), then why are we only having him for 6 months?? It's like us bringing him over here, showing him off, then letting him go for nothing.

Is this a terrible piece of business, or is it showing the power of the football agents in contract negotations?

Or is it that we've given him a short-term deal to have a closer look at him, and then if he's no good, we're not tied to anything long-term.

I think the deal makes perfect sense, because it gives us flexibility in terms of the role he'll play at the club. A short term deal will make him play for his future, so we'll get the best out of him (if he gets a game,) but if he's crap/doesn't fit in/doesn't have the right attitude, we're not going to be wasting huge amounts of money on a long-term deal for a player we don't want or need at the club.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 31, 2011, 09:47:04 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
benaldo wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me.

The alternative is sign him on a 1 or 2 year contract. Very brave that considering he's been playing in the Spanish fourth division and has one league appearance to his name. If he is any good, then a one year contract would give other clubs more time to look at him.

Six months isn't long for other clubs to scout him, and besides, I'm sure we'd offer to extend his contract if it became clear that he's worth keeping.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 31, 2011, 10:08:25 pm by benaldo »
I take all your points, but lots of well run, good, football clubs sign up youngsters on fairly long term deals. If its found out early on that they wont make the grade they are often farmed out on long term loans to cover the wages while a buyer is found. I just think that if someone at the club has taken the effort to go to spain to look at him and sign him, he must be something good, therefore worth signing up on a long term deal?

He looked pretty decent from the edited \"Hoddle-cam\". Didn't see any faith healers around though...

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 31, 2011, 10:18:15 pm by Akinfenwa »
If he was 18 then fair enough but he isn't that young, he's 23 so not really a youngster anymore. He should be good enough now, if not then he probably never will be and should be released at the end of the season.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 31, 2011, 10:20:05 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Maybe we want to see if he can step up in class and if he does we can always offer a longer contract before the short term one runs out. As stated Spanish 4th Division to Championship is a big step.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 31, 2011, 10:43:42 pm by dknward2 »
Even the spainish top flight is a step up to the championship

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 31, 2011, 10:57:32 pm by BobG »
eally?

Not being sarky. I just don't know. Obviously the big clubs - Barelona, Real, Valencia few years back - would be fine in the Prem. But I don't know how the rest would do. What about Atletico for example? Osasuna? (Where is that anyway?!)

BobG

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 31, 2011, 11:05:56 pm by dknward2 »
Ok maybe rule out the big top 4/5 then you end up with a league no where near as good as the championship

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 31, 2011, 11:21:35 pm by Herman Hessian »
Sprotyrover wrote:
What a surprise!we have signed a 'cultured' and 'refined' midfielder
 :)

to be fair, that's a tradition that dates back to the likes of mirsad bubalovic (rip), and it's served us well...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012