Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:20:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Flexible working rights  (Read 2768 times)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Flexible working rights
« on February 09, 2011, 09:58:57 pm by 5minstogo »
Now then, since my little boy is now 4 months old and the missus is soon to return to work I thought I'd investigate my rights to apply for flexible working.

On applying to reduce my contracted hours to part time, my employer regardless of legislation or general consideration rejected my application.

Turns out the legislation is totally toothless and merely hopes that your employer gives it a fair crack.

Needless to say looks like I'm now on the look out for some part time work as my current hours mean I barely see my little boy during the week.  If anyone hears of anything give us a shout.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Savvy

• Forum Member
Re:Flexible working rights
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2011, 10:43:57 pm by Savvy »
Have a look at this and take the test, it might just be your employer that's in the wrong!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/EmploymentInteractiveTools/DG_10028440

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2011, 10:54:18 pm by 5minstogo »
Savvy wrote:
Have a look at this and take the test, it might just be your employer that's in the wrong!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/EmploymentInteractiveTools/DG_10028440

Thanks had already looked at that. Sadly you only have the right to apply, not the right for your employer to give your request due consideration.

I've been told because they haven't followed procedure that I could go to employment tribunal but that could go either way.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2011, 11:01:55 pm by Savvy »
Do they not have to give written reasons for declining your request? I wouldn't let going to a tribunal put you off, as you say it could go either way, but what have you got to lose?

They are there to settle disputes and aren't there to be afraid of!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2011, 11:16:51 pm by 5minstogo »
In a nutshell the decision was made before I had any consultation with my employer.  They must have a meeting with you before notifying you of their decision.

I appealed and unsurprisingly after the meeting the decision was the same.  I can go to tribunal because the failed to hold a meeting before informing me of their decision but the tribunal can't overturn the decision although I may be compensated up to 8 weeks pay, which in the great scheme of things doesn't seem particularly worthwhile.  

After speaking to ACAS they said it is an all to familiar problem so I suppose I should just grin and bear it and look at moving on.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2011, 11:23:02 pm by Savvy »
Fair play to you fella, if ACAS have advised you then it's sure to be sound advice! Sounds like another toothless piece of legislation designed to catch a few votes near an election!

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2011, 02:56:22 pm by colfromdonny »
Why do people have kids that they are not prepared to look after. They would rather palm them off to in-laws or child minders and then expect the employer and taxpayer to subsidise the fact that they do not want to look after their own kids.  They also expect to have preferance over holidays and time off when little Johnny is ill.  If you were there to look after them in the first place this thread would not even exist.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2011, 03:03:40 pm by Filo »
colfromdonny wrote:
Why do people have kids that they are not prepared to look after. They would rather palm them off to in-laws or child minders and then expect the employer and taxpayer to subsidise the fact that they do not want to look after their own kids.  They also expect to have preferance over holidays and time off when little Johnny is ill.  If you were there to look after them in the first place this thread would not even exist.

Are you a Eunuch?  ;)

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 11, 2011, 04:16:09 pm by colfromdonny »
No, I'm a pissed off tax payer who is sick to death of paying for other peoples kids.  If you're not prepared to look after them don't have them.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 11, 2011, 04:37:55 pm by Filo »
colfromdonny wrote:
No, I'm a pissed off tax payer who is sick to death of paying for other peoples kids.  If you're not prepared to look after them don't have them.

You`re firing blanks?  ;)

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 11, 2011, 04:51:50 pm by ScillyRover »
colfromdonny wrote:

You once caught your Togger in your zip with disastrous consequences?  ;)

Is this you ?  :laugh:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umITQCX0kkc[/video]

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 11, 2011, 04:53:13 pm by keepmoatman »
Filo wrote:
colfromdonny wrote:

You`re firing blanks?  ;)

pmsl  :)

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 11, 2011, 05:57:54 pm by colfromdonny »
Looks like I've struck a guilty nerve here, though I guess people will not be bothered and keep knocking out sprogs and letting the state pay for them, no shame. Keep the sarcastic replies coming, I'm like a premiership ref, I love it when you hate me, it means I'm getting to you. haha :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 11, 2011, 07:40:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
colfromdonny wrote:

And what has the OP asked for that you'd have to fork out for or inconvenience you in any way?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 11, 2011, 07:51:51 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
colfromdonny wrote:
Looks like I've struck a guilty nerve here, though I guess people will not be bothered and keep knocking out sprogs and letting the state pay for them, no shame. Keep the sarcastic replies coming, I'm like a premiership ref, I love it when you hate me, it means I'm getting to you. haha :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Doesn't the chap want to go flexible, IE work a bit less so that he can look after his child whilst his wife works?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2011, 09:09:39 pm by 5minstogo »
colfromdonny wrote:

What a tool you are.  If you bothered to read my post before engaging your pea sized brain then you will see that what I wanted to do was to reduce my working hours to spend more time with my boy. I don't intend to claim any benefits or reclaim any of my or your taxes, I'd just like my employer to agree to me working part time.

I quite agree, why have kids and get someone else to look after them? Thats exactly what I don't want to happen!

Anyway, sorry to have upset you in anyway and thanks to the support from the other guys who did bother to read the post properly!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012