Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:44:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Town Football Club  (Read 2655 times)

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
Doncaster Town Football Club
« on February 10, 2011, 04:24:36 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
I've been trying to re-trace the footsteps of Doncaster's extinct second team. My grandad spoke to me about the 1950s at Belle Vue and how people walked to the top of the Rossington end and watch them play while Rovers had a halftime break (Town kicked off at 2:20pm). The huge draw of the Rovers saw Town gates rise to mere hundreds at their best & after 3 or 4 seasons they were wound up.

Any links will be very welcome.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re:Doncaster Town Football Club
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2011, 05:18:39 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I think you mean Doncaster United, and they were certainly playing within full view of the Rossington end in the 1960's

The only payers I can immediately recall are a forward called Roger(?) Barrett and a goalie called Roy(?) Chapman who both joined Rovers

I think internet searches on Doncaster United should throw up some good information

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2011, 05:43:15 pm by Muttley »
Wan't there a Doncaster Town Football Club based at the cricket club on Bennetthorpe?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 10, 2011, 05:46:33 pm by Muttley »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 10, 2011, 06:48:43 pm by The Red Baron »
Dutch Uncle wrote:
I think you mean Doncaster United, and they were certainly playing within full view of the Rossington end in the 1960's

The only payers I can immediately recall are a forward called Roger(?) Barrett and a goalie called Roy(?) Chapman who both joined Rovers

I think internet searches on Doncaster United should throw up some good information

Roger Barrett, who was a school teacher and played as a part-timer, came from Doncaster United. He made only one League appearance but also scored the only goal when Rovers won the 1967-68 County Cup- the final was actually played in around November 1968!

Not sure about Rodger Chapman. I thought we got him from Rotherham where he played as an amateur.

Perhaps the best-known ex-Doncaster United man was John Bird, who made 55 senior appearances for Rovers before signing for Preston North End in 1970. He later played for Newcastle and Hartlepool and returned to Rovers for a spell as assistant manager to Steve Beaglehole.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 10, 2011, 10:56:24 pm by Donnywolf »
A search on this very Forum will or should produce a whole load of info as we did this to death before Christmas

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2011, 12:26:49 am by Wokingviking »
On the Ordnance Survey maps from the 70's there was a pitch marked out on the airport labelled \"Doncaster United\"... I think...

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2011, 12:29:47 am by Wokingviking »
I also remember watching Shaun Flanagan (he was from my school) play for Doncaster United in the Sunday League on Town Moor Fields in the 70's.  He played for us later of course.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 11, 2011, 06:45:45 am by Dagenham Rover »
Wokingviking wrote:
I also remember watching Shaun Flanagan (he was from my school) play for Doncaster United in the Sunday League on Town Moor Fields in the 70's.  He played for us later of course.

I was just going to add that I was sure they were playing in some form or other in the late 70's as I was working away and there results used to be tucked away in the News of the World when they used to publish lots of local league results

TinyPortal © 2005-2012