Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:07:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sign of a desperate man who's out of ideas.  (Read 7994 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Sign of a desperate man who's out of ideas.
« on February 12, 2011, 05:52:22 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Watching SOD on the touchline today he seemed totally void of ideas, and bordering on confused as to what was happening around him.

The decision to throw on Webster up front, and remove Copps (who incidentally I though was one of the few players who put any effort in today), was baffling to say the least - and the last throw of the dice by a desperate man void of ideas. Yet we are happy to ship Fairhurst out on loan?!?!

Worry trends when our only victory since Scunthorpe is courtesy of an own goal....Id love to know the percentage of fans at The Keepmoat today who knew as soon as they scored, that that was us beaten.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
Re:Sign of a desperate man who's out of ideas.
« Reply #1 on February 12, 2011, 06:18:15 pm by Akinfenwa »
Must admit, I really am starting to question the guy in this terrible run we're in and some seemingly strange decisions. Firstly sending Fairhurst out on loan when we have only one fit striker is very strange. Is Brooker injured again?

Secondly his team not even testing the keeper of the team who (I think) are bottom of the form table at home is criminal. I tell you, NO other team in this league would have allowed that and would have at least gave it a go. This can be said for many other games where we have conceded and accepted defeat. We must be one of the easiest teams to play against at the moment.

Portsmouth were not a great team and you can see why they are near the bottom. We couldn't have hoped for a better fixture for us to get a win. However our performance was shocking, a lack of ideas up front and the same old faces at the back shipping basic goals again. And we don't even play decent football anymore which was at least one thing I took comfort from when we lost.

It really was depressing and I couldn't wait to leave the ground.

I'm just glad that the bottom 3 are terrible and keep dropping points. The sooner we get to 50 points the better as I think that there is a real chance we could be sucked into a relegation battle. This could be the case next season too if changes are not made to the team in the summer.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 12, 2011, 06:20:10 pm by benaldo »
SOD is a one trick pony. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Why start the game with effectively a 5 man defence? I daren't ask why the feck start Friend when the brilliant Mills is fit??? Don't get me started on Hird.....yes, I know he played average today, but getting excited at an average performance does NOT mean Sam Hird is a good footballer....he isn't!!

so, for me, todays team went like this -

Woods - Looked nervous, the save in the first half was not a save, the pompey player just blasted it straight at him when he was already on the floor. Kicking looked well suspect.

Chambers - Has never looked like the player he was before his injury. He was slow, nervous, and too many passes went astray.

O'Connor - Looked ok, but I thought he was to blame for their second goal. Still our best centre back.

Kilgallon - Pretty solid, but out of position a bit.

Friend - To blame for their first goal. From the back post he headed the ball back across the goal into the middle of the penalty area....he is slow, can't mark, can't tackle. He made a run in the first half which flattered him because the ball looked to have bounced fortunately off his knee right into his path without him knowing. He played an excellent ball into space, it was so excellent that the nearest rovers player was probably him. He's a nice guy, but not a footballer. Why is he playing instead of Mills??

Oster - Still can't tackle or won't tackle, some good balls to others, but didn't see enough of the ball to be effective.

Keegan - Not a pretty footballer, but didn't do much wrong and did quite a bit right. I like him, he brings a bit of solidity and grit to the lightweight midfield. He spent most of the time marking Kitson out of the game, he did a good job.

Stock - Was he playing?

Coppinger - Some good runs/balls, but saw too little of the ball.

Hird - Good game for him....only 70% of his passes went to no-one and he won one header. He is terrible, but more terrible than Wilson in midfield? That question is like asking if Idi Amin or Pol Pot was the better snooker player!

Sharp - Some good work, ran all match, too many theatric fallings over for my liking, but he's still a great player.

SOD - What is the man on???? Arguing like a schoolboy with some tit of a manager about kicking a ball back. Bringing on Webster up front is ridiculous...playing friend when Mills is fit is ridiculous, playing hird in midfield is ridiculous, so many long balls it was a joke! This time SOD has some criticism coming and it's about time. We've been shite for weeks now and he has to shoulder some blame, either that or all his players are ignoring him and playing like that off their own backs.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 12, 2011, 06:25:18 pm by Chris »
As if I'm reading this after one bad run...

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 12, 2011, 06:25:26 pm by MrFrost »
benaldo wrote:

Why start the game with effectively a 5 man defence? I daren't ask why the feck start Friend when the brilliant Mills is fit??? Don't get me started on Hird.....yes, I know he played average today, but getting excited at an average performance does NOT mean Sam Hird is a good footballer....he isn't!!

Woods - Looked nervous, the save in the first half was not a save, the pompey player just blasted it straight at him when he was already on the floor. Kicking looked well suspect.

Chambers - Has never looked like the player he was before his injury. He was slow, nervous, and too many passes went astray.

O'Connor - Looked ok, but I thought he was to blame for their second goal. Still our best centre back.

Friend - To blame for their first goal. From the back post he headed the ball back across the goal into the middle of the penalty area....he is slow, can't mark, can't tackle. He made a run in the first half which flattered him because the ball looked to have bounced fortunately off his knee right into his path without him knowing. He played an excellent ball into space, it was so excellent that the nearest rovers player was probably him. He's a nice guy, but not a footballer. Why is he playing instead of Mills??

Oster - Still can't tackle or won't tackle, some good balls to others, but didn't see enough of the ball to be effective.

Keegan - Not a pretty footballer, but didn't do much wrong and did quite a bit right. I like him, he brings a bit of solidity and grit to the lightweight midfield. He spent most of the time marking Kitson out of the game, he did a good job.

Stock - Was he playing?

Hird - Good game for him....only 70% of his passes went to no-one and he won one header. He is terrible, but more terrible than Wilson in midfield? That question is like asking if Idi Amin or Pol Pot was the better snooker player!

Sharp - Some good work, ran all match, too many theatric fallings over for my liking, but he's still a great player.

SOD - What is the man on???? Arguing like a schoolboy with some tit of a manager about kicking a ball back. Bringing on Webster up front is ridiculous...playing friend when Mills is fit is ridiculous, playing hird in midfield is ridiculous, so many long balls it was a joke! This time SOD has some criticism coming and it's about time. We've been shite for weeks now and he has to shoulder some blame, either that or all his players are ignoring him and playing like that off their own backs.

How do you know Mills is fit? Have you spent the week in the Rovers training camp? The fact he didn't start is evidence to me that he isn't fit. He was probably only on the bench to make up numbers.

Sam Hird has been our best player for several games now, and was played out of position today.

Can you also point out what good work Sharp did today? I admit, he did some good spitting of dummies but that was about it.

Friend was the only one playing with an ounce of passion today, and the only one who seemed to want to attack. No, I don't think he is good enough but at least he looked like he wanted to win.

VikingJames

« Reply #5 on February 12, 2011, 06:27:58 pm by VikingJames »
benaldo wrote:

Stock - Was he playing?

Get a grip. Sam Hird wasn't great but not to blame for the defeat whatsoever. I'm not one of these people who thinks that all is rosy in the garden, but your slating of Hird is completely over the top, and just makes you look a pillock really. I think people stopped taking you seriously ages ago.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #6 on February 12, 2011, 06:30:34 pm by Rovin Reporter »
benaldo wrote:

Stock - Was he playing?

No Woods,  Martis, Thomas , Mustapha, Mills, etc .etc.etc..... Without the players , we do not have a team to call a . team  .First rule of the game DO NOT CONCEDE . We are too weak at the back  , and players comimng in on loan do not have the ganes under their belt to fit into out passing game. SOD is doing his best but the team on the pitch are just not up to the task , with given time to gel THEY WILL.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #7 on February 12, 2011, 06:30:37 pm by Rovin Reporter »
benaldo wrote:

Stock - Was he playing?

No Woods,  Martis, Thomas , Mustapha, Mills, etc .etc.etc..... Without the players , we do not have a team to call a . team  .First rule of the game DO NOT CONCEDE . We are too weak at the back  , and players comimng in on loan do not have the ganes under their belt to fit into out passing game. SOD is doing his best but the team on the pitch are just not up to the task , with given time to gel THEY WILL.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 12, 2011, 06:34:05 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Chris wrote:

What? Havent got a clue what you are trying to say.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2011, 06:35:35 pm by MrFrost »
We have no strength in depth. Signing unproven players on short team deals is not the answer.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 12, 2011, 06:43:44 pm by benaldo »
Too right, I might be a pillock, not that I give a toss about your synopsis. What I do care about is that the team I support is playing like we were in the conference days. Pretending that some of our players are good enough is just ignorant. Whatever you say about Hird, he's still not a player you'd have in our starting 11 by choice is he?? He's probably a nice kid, I've got nothing against him...or friend...but they are not good enough. If you think they are, I suggest viking james, that it's you that's the pillock.

Nobody likes losing, and I don't usually mind that much if we've played well, I also don't jump to immeadiate conclusions about players/managers etc, but we've been poor for a few months now haven't we. I think I'm able to say what I think about the bad, as I do the good, without your pointless response vj. I hope I never get to see the day when you slate Hird, I really do, I want him to succeed...I'd like him to be a good as messi....but at the moment you're kissing his boots over two average performances. That doesn't make sense does it.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 12, 2011, 06:54:29 pm by Chris »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

I think it's embarrassing to see people questioning O'Driscoll because of a bad bit of form when 3 months ago we were singing his praises. If we win a few games all of this will be forgotten and a few on here will feel like muppets.

VikingJames

« Reply #12 on February 12, 2011, 06:57:15 pm by VikingJames »
benaldo wrote:
Too right, I might be a pillock, not that I give a toss about your synopsis. What I do care about is that the team I support is playing like we were in the conference days. Pretending that some of our players are good enough is just ignorant. Whatever you say about Hird, he's still not a player you'd have in our starting 11 by choice is he?? He's probably a nice kid, I've got nothing against him...or friend...but they are not good enough. If you think they are, I suggest viking james, that it's you that's the pillock.

Nobody likes losing, and I don't usually mind that much if we've played well, I also don't jump to immeadiate conclusions about players/managers etc, but we've been poor for a few months now haven't we. I think I'm able to say what I think about the bad, as I do the good, without your pointless response vj. I hope I never get to see the day when you slate Hird, I really do, I want him to succeed...I'd like him to be a good as messi....but at the moment you're kissing his boots over two average performances. That doesn't make sense does it.

There's a difference between not thinking a player is good enough and vehemently attacking his every performance, even if he played okay. There were players on that pitch who were worse than Hird today, but he's the one who you always seem to pick out, and it's quite annoying. You're right in that I probably wouldn't have Hird in the starting 11 if everybody was fit, but I think he's alright as cover, and that's what he is serving as at the minute with all the injuries we've got.

I don't really think Friend is good enough to be honest. I'd rather have Mills in the starting 11 every day of the week, but then again, I never mentioned Friend in my post, so I'm not sure exactly why you've tried to level the Friend debate at me.

I'd love for you to point out where I've \"kissed his boots.\" It just hasn't happened, and you seem to be just making things up. I acknowledged that Sam didn't have the best game, but I think singling him out for such strong criticism is over the top, and on the whole, he's done well for us in recent weeks. No way do I think he's the perfect solution, but when he has come in to the side, he's done alright for us. Not sure what your thoughts about my posts are based on, really. I'm not one of those who thinks all is rosy in the garden like you seem to think I am (not sure if you've actually read any of my posts, possibly not.) Just because I don't slate Sam Hird every week regardless of whether he's actually done alright, it doesn't make my post any less valid than yours, so to label it pointless is a bit ignorant on your part really.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 12, 2011, 07:05:51 pm by benaldo »
Hope so. It's just this seems to be a bit more than a \"blip\" doesn't it. It's not been helped by injuries though has it.

I thought todays programme gave us a fascinating insight into the footballing genius of SOD. In the article he talks about one of his training methods. Some may call this groundbreaking, or see this as SOD revealing some of his \"behind the scenes mind-management\". So what do we learn about SODs methods? -

That SOD has a thing called a \"whiteboard\" in the training room, where he writes phrases like - getting goals scored against us is bad - on it.

Why aren't we winning 12 - 0 every match.........?

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 12, 2011, 07:06:59 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

I think it's embarrassing to see people questioning O'Driscoll because of a bad bit of form when 3 months ago we were singing his praises. If we win a few games all of this will be forgotten and a few on here will feel like muppets.

Its not so much the bad form...I can take that, and defeats, as long as players look like they are interested, and we look like we are trying to do things to get back into the game....we are woefully short on both those coutns for a number of games now.

If someone can explain the logic behing the swapping of Stock for Shiels, and, more strangly, the removal of Copps for Defender Webster to be slotted up front, then Id be interested.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 12, 2011, 07:12:26 pm by grayx »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

If someone can explain the logic behing the swapping of Stock for Shiels, and, more strangly, the removal of Copps for Defender Webster to be slotted up front, then Id be interested.

I can only assume Stock was injured like I assume Brooker is also. As for the Webster master-stroke, that was nothing short of embarassing.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 12, 2011, 07:12:36 pm by Chris »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

Its not so much the bad form...I can take that, and defeats, as long as players look like they are interested, and we look like we are trying to do things to get back into the game....we are woefully short on both those coutns for a number of games now.

Both have been injured recently.

Next!

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 12, 2011, 07:14:25 pm by jucyberry »
The worrying thing is we all know that managers fall every day on runs like this, I'm not being pessamistic, but I do wonder how long we could maintain a status quo on results like the past few before the board begins to question the viability of another season with SOD.. :(

I would hate to see that happen personally.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 12, 2011, 07:15:55 pm by mutleyrover »
Only explaination is that Stock and Copps were not fully fit but needs must at the minute with our injury list. Think it was also to get Oster more involved in a central position. Thought Stock was well off the pace today.

Yes, we are on  a bad run at the minute but once we start to get a settled side back with options on the bench we will be ok.  Criticising SOD has been done before by some when things were not going well.  They were proved wrong then and will be once more this time!

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 12, 2011, 07:17:04 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Chris wrote:

Next!

Yet both look exaserbated/ suprised to be subbed.

Plus it hardly explains the logic of plonking a defender up front either.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 12, 2011, 07:17:15 pm by Pintolager »
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

To be fair to TWD, he does have a point. Yes, injuries have hit the squad and we do only have a small squad with no strength in depth, but for me, I am starting to question how good Sean is when the going gets tough! Does he really have the mettle to turn things round? Just what is his thinking when we go behind? Is he still too cautious, does he still give these players the confidence they need?

It's ok for anyone to be able to handle things when everything is going well, but when the going gets tough, how many people can handle the pressure? I know one or two on here will point out that he turned things round after we got beat by Yeovil and look where we are now! but this is a different situation.

I obviously hope he can turn things round, but for once, I am starting to worry about where the team is going.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 12, 2011, 07:18:01 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
most laughable post of all time!

VikingJames

« Reply #22 on February 12, 2011, 07:18:04 pm by VikingJames »
jucyberry wrote:
The worrying thing is we all know that managers fall every day on runs like this, I'm not being pessamistic, but I do wonder how long we could maintain a status quo on results like the past few before the board begins to question the viability of another season with SOD.. :(

I would hate to see that happen personally.

I doubt that JR would ever sack SOD. Especially not after what is a blip in the whole scheme of things.

JR has the sense to know that it is not in the club's best interests to start making knee-jerk decisions based on 7 or 8 poor games.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 12, 2011, 07:18:43 pm by Viking Don »
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

Next!

Correct. Webster was brought on to add height up front so hopefully Sharp could feed off any knockdowns, as up to then he wasn't get a look in. Shiels was brought on to run at their defence and try and cause problems. The fact that neither substitution paid off isn't poor management, it's working with what you've got.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 12, 2011, 07:39:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Go on then, since you're such a f**king genius and SOD has no ideas what would you have done today?  I'll then laugh at you and tell you that you're a fool.

Get a grip, they spent multi millions on their squad and have players earning 4+ times our squad.  Yet they were frankly shite.

We lost a fight, we always have done, that's just the way we are, it's been that way for a long time now.  Wake up and realise we are the second smallest team in this league, second smallest crowds (that are getting smaller) and probably the most negative fanbase in the country.

I yearn for the conference days where win/lose/draw we got behind the team and didn't slate players constantly.  We've got the best manager we've had and still you grumble.

He tries things, that's what's made him good.  He hasn't figured it our right now but then he's forced to miss key players every week injured.  Today we had half fit players out there. Now some of these might not be needed but to be frank the likes of Shiels have not stepped up when called upon.  That's exactly why Shiels will go in the summer I expect, he just hasn't stepped up to the chances he's had.

We haven't the resources to have a big squad, like it or lump it that is the case.  We had no options on the bench today and that's just the way it is.

About time we got behind the manager (well I always will be that's for sure) and look at the bigger picture.  Our league is becoming more and more about cash by the day and those who've been able to get the best loans in sit in the top half of the table whilst the rest fall behind.  Just look at Leicester's side tonight for proof of that.  We can't go and bring in a full 11 whenver we lose injuries we have to make do, other clubs don't and that is ultimately the big problem.

Gibbo123

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 12, 2011, 08:06:21 pm by Gibbo123 »
It's blatantly obvious you have something against hird and it's obvious it ain't to do with foitball because him and Jimmy have nee outstanding. Anyway you have your own issues. But to put it simply the defence should not have been changed.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 12, 2011, 08:51:37 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Viking Don wrote:
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

Next!

Correct. Webster was brought on to add height up front so hopefully Sharp could feed off any knockdowns, as up to then he wasn't get a look in. Shiels was brought on to run at their defence and try and cause problems. The fact that neither substitution paid off isn't poor management, it's working with what you've got.

I find it depressing Viking Don that the patently bleeding obvious needs explaining to some people.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 12, 2011, 08:54:35 pm by Viking Don »
Aye.

We've also got a game on Tuesday which I assume the OP will be wanting Stock and Copps to start.

Had Shiels put in a couple of decent crosses that Webster managed to get on the end of and score (or flick on to Billy who then scored), then everyone would be saying what a genius Sean is.

I think we'll beat Ipswich.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 12, 2011, 11:43:20 pm by graingrover »
you can be smallest in height and beat Goliath but you must never be weakest in spirit .

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 12, 2011, 11:52:26 pm by RedJ »
Hopefully Brooker will be back. Webster's shite, however much I want him to be good (as I don't hate any of our players, even the less able players). Anyone know what's up with Steve?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012