Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:35:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sign of a desperate man who's out of ideas.  (Read 7993 times)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re:Sign of a desperate man who's out of ideas.
« Reply #30 on February 12, 2011, 11:58:18 pm by hoolahoop »
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:
As if I'm reading this after one bad run...

What? Havent got a clue what you are trying to say.

I think it's embarrassing to see people questioning O'Driscoll because of a bad bit of form when 3 months ago we were singing his praises. If we win a few games all of this will be forgotten and a few on here will feel like muppets.

Chris where have you been for the last 11 games ? ''A bit of bad form''...........Jeez I hope you're being sarcastic!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 13, 2011, 12:01:04 am by Chris »
hoolahoop wrote:
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

I think it's embarrassing to see people questioning O'Driscoll because of a bad bit of form when 3 months ago we were singing his praises. If we win a few games all of this will be forgotten and a few on here will feel like muppets.

Chris where have you been for the last 11 games ? ''A bit of bad form''...........Jeez I hope you're being sarcastic!!

Hardly grounds for some of the reaction towards O'Driscoll tonight.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 13, 2011, 12:04:27 am by Thinwhiteduke »
graingrover wrote:
you can be smallest in height and beat Goliath but you must never be weakest in spirit .

Now That Sir, is inspired.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 13, 2011, 01:36:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Chris wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:
Chris wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:
Chris wrote:

Hardly grounds for some of the reaction towards O'Driscoll tonight.

O'Driscoll's position is as solid as ever - that goes without saying. The results have been dreadful for three months (about the same as the spell of results that got both Ian Snodin and Steve Wignall the sack) but we have been hammered by injuries and you have to take that into account.

That said, O'Driscoll has to find a way for us to win the last 13-15 points that we need to stay up, despite the injuries. And he won't do it by picking formations like today.

We played a side that hadn't won in their last 10 matches. A side with zero confidence. But we played a 5-4-1 formation (or 4-5-1 if you are generous, or 4-5-0 if you take Sharp's attitude into account) We said to them \"Come at us. We're going hull down. We'll give the impetus to you and respond to that.\"

Hird had a good game, but playing him as a third centre back/defensive midfielder said everything. As did the narrowness of the midfield formation. We were set up to close them down and keep things tight. Not to take the game to them.

And then, when we made the substitutions, we made the wrong ones. Hird was having an excellent game. Chambers was (again) having a stinker. We should have taken Chambers off, put Mason on and pushed Hird back and O'Connor wide. Instead, we lost our sole physical presence and kept on a full back who is still not up to the physical level required to push on down the wing.

So, in summary, O'Driscoll is not really under pressure. But he made some really poor decisions today. And we really don't need that for the next few weeks or we reaaly are in really deep trouble.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 13, 2011, 08:10:03 am by auckleyflyer »
Thought Hird, had a good game myself, as for friend, he has struggled at left back but been praised when going forward He was playing left wing back which i think he excelled in!! if the back was settled and injury free playing two wing backs would be hailed as a master stroke adding steel to the midfield? as others have mentioned, we have not had a settled back this season?
Pompy did a job on us hussled, pushed and never gave us a min. I was hoping they'd run out of steam caus they were playing at such a tempo.
Were rovers and always do poor against teams \"up for it\" frustrating but hardly a new fenomonon, na ner na ner ner!!

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 13, 2011, 08:27:21 am by Rios »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Go on then, since you're such a f**king genius and SOD has no ideas what would you have done today?  I'll then laugh at you and tell you that you're a fool.

Get a grip, they spent multi millions on their squad and have players earning 4+ times our squad.  Yet they were frankly shite.

We lost a fight, we always have done, that's just the way we are, it's been that way for a long time now.  Wake up and realise we are the second smallest team in this league, second smallest crowds (that are getting smaller) and probably the most negative fanbase in the country.

I yearn for the conference days where win/lose/draw we got behind the team and didn't slate players constantly.  We've got the best manager we've had and still you grumble.

He tries things, that's what's made him good.  He hasn't figured it our right now but then he's forced to miss key players every week injured.  Today we had half fit players out there. Now some of these might not be needed but to be frank the likes of Shiels have not stepped up when called upon.  That's exactly why Shiels will go in the summer I expect, he just hasn't stepped up to the chances he's had.

We haven't the resources to have a big squad, like it or lump it that is the case.  We had no options on the bench today and that's just the way it is.

About time we got behind the manager (well I always will be that's for sure) and look at the bigger picture.  Our league is becoming more and more about cash by the day and those who've been able to get the best loans in sit in the top half of the table whilst the rest fall behind.  Just look at Leicester's side tonight for proof of that.  We can't go and bring in a full 11 whenver we lose injuries we have to make do, other clubs don't and that is ultimately the big problem.

While I agree with almost everything you say you need to take those rose coloured specs off with regards to the conference.  The first season apart our fans did nothing but moan about everything and anything while we were in the Conference ranging from us being too \"big\" a club to be playing at that level, our shit players, shit manager, shit loan signings, opposition teams, belle vue, ticket prices and the ticket office.  Nothings changed and Belle Vue was just as much a libraru as the KM is!

From my point Portsmouth were a big physical side with a bit of skill, which is to be expected given the money spent on their side in wages.  We were out fought and then out niggled through timewasting later in the game which together knocked us completely out our stride.  It's not the first time it's happened and it's something that SOD has been unable to address in all the time he's been here.  I have faith that he will find an answer, but he is NOT above a bit of criticism where appropriate.  The man's not god, he makes mistakes but most of the time he does seem to learn from them.  I took it as a good sign that he was letting off steam at Cotteril.  He knows the score, knows that Portsmouth were kicking us all over the park and time wasting from the off and that the ref was weak and not going to do anything.

I'd like to think that they'll be spending their time on the training ground figuring out how to play against high tempo niggly sides now that the majority of the division have figured us out.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 13, 2011, 12:03:47 pm by Wellred »
RedJ wrote:
Hopefully Brooker will be back. Webster's shite, however much I want him to be good (as I don't hate any of our players, even the less able players). Anyone know what's up with Steve?

Probably a bad attack of dandruff

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 13, 2011, 02:14:36 pm by BobG »
I think this is the single most depressing thread I have ever read on here.

The level of the thinking, the absence of insight, the kneejerk over reaction, the hysterical victimisation of individuals, the depth of the emotional views - they all say to me that some Rovers supporters have the minds of 6 year olds. Quite a lot of this thread is shameful for ANY  member of a race that characterises itself as 'thinking'. There's precious little of that from the proponents of 'he/we are shit brigade' on here.

BobG

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 13, 2011, 02:29:28 pm by RedJ »
Wellred wrote:
RedJ wrote:
Hopefully Brooker will be back. Webster's shite, however much I want him to be good (as I don't hate any of our players, even the less able players). Anyone know what's up with Steve?

Probably a bad attack of dandruff

:laugh:  :laugh:

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 13, 2011, 02:35:57 pm by VivaRovers »
Pintolager wrote:

...I am starting to question how good Sean is when the going gets tough! Does he really have the mettle to turn things round?

I'd say, he's pretty good yes.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 13, 2011, 03:20:54 pm by RedJ »
:laugh: they were depressing days, to say we'd just had the euphoria of Wembley.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 13, 2011, 03:21:58 pm by CJK »
Although its terribly disappointing and frustrating to witness the run we are on at the moment, one must not forget the sense of context required. For as long as Rovers continue to play their football in the second tier, every season that honour is secured will be deemed a great success, and rightly so. We will forever be punching above our weight when playing the likes of Portsmouth, Forest and Leeds, the away following yesterday shows you the stature of a club like Pompey.

We need to remember that if it wasn't for the Directors we wouldn't be anywhere close to the Championship; how many Chairman do you know who put their own money into something knowing that they will get nothing back financially. JR said we need average gates of 10,000 plus to purely gain even ground. When you look at some of the wage bills in this league and you look at ours, the fact we can play the majestic football (usually) we do and manage to stay in the league is a miracle.

Just rememeber that.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 13, 2011, 07:23:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
Sean IMO made mistakes yesterday by picking an extra defensive midfield player and not replacing Hayter/Brooker position with another attacker. But who do we have on any calibre? Shiels not good enough, he is not a JET or Mason not good enough, he is not a Mutch. But we cannot afford these players to try and strengthen the squad. We have not signed this year, because of low crowds and lack of funds any player with better quality than we had last year. I accept Billy and Gillet but they were here on loan last year.
The quality of the centre three midfield has gone backwards from our first year in the championship. We no longer have the quality of Richie Wellens, player of the month in championship for January. We have lacked the consistent quality of Brian Stock for a year and a half. In fact yesterday he was the poorest centre midfield player. Yes he has been injured but he has not reached his heights for a long time. By playing an extra defensive midfield player Sean moved John Oster further left and it does not work.
We have to accept this squad is not providing the performances of the team we knew and realistically has not done for a majority of this season. We do not have the quality with in the squad to provide consistent performances. So the players that have left only Mills, Wellens, Roberts and Green have maintained or slightly improve their level. All the others have gone to lower league clubs and none have proved they were good enough to be retained. But the ones we have brought in have not been better than the others. Cost has been the problem.
It has not helped with all the injuries but it also hides the inadequacies in the squad. But when the manager can only get average players with the money provided then this is what happens. It was JR’s pipe dream to get into the premiership but other teams have shown what is required to achieve that. It is not to replace quality players with below average ones. The centre halve situation this season has been laughable, we do not have any one in the calibre of Mills or Shackell in fact our best centre halve at the moment is James O’Connor. Killagon has yet to prove he is any better than Sam Hird. The rest fall in line behind Sam and none including Sam are championship standard.
So yes Sean made the wrong call on Saturday but even without Sam or Keegan or Stock and played Shiels or Mason we would have still lost IMO.
We NEED Hayter, Gillet and Mills fit as soon as possible to see a difference in performance and winning results.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 14, 2011, 07:52:45 am by PDX_Rover »
We will be fine this season. We are going through a transition. Looking back, our recent success was built on a solid defence. From the conference up, we always had a solid defence. The first season in the CCC we had a good defence, and last season was fairly solid too, but this season we simply have not been able to field a consistently solid back four. That foundation is the bedrock. While we have nothing like the strength in depth of many teams, we have skillful players further up the park. But we need that platform to build on.

Our injury list has been hideous this season.  I'd be very surprised if O'Driscoll has been able to field his first choice XI for one game.

I know to a lot of people SO'D is seen as dispassionate and in many ways he is the polar opposite of DP, but he's won me over.

I'm optimistic.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 14, 2011, 08:29:35 am by DonnyNoel »
steve@dcfd wrote:
Sean IMO made mistakes yesterday by picking an extra defensive midfield player and not replacing Hayter/Brooker position with another attacker. But who do we have on any calibre? Shiels not good enough, he is not a JET or Mason not good enough, he is not a Mutch. But we cannot afford these players to try and strengthen the squad. We have not signed this year, because of low crowds and lack of funds any player with better quality than we had last year. I accept Billy and Gillet but they were here on loan last year.
The quality of the centre three midfield has gone backwards from our first year in the championship. We no longer have the quality of Richie Wellens, player of the month in championship for January. We have lacked the consistent quality of Brian Stock for a year and a half. In fact yesterday he was the poorest centre midfield player. Yes he has been injured but he has not reached his heights for a long time. By playing an extra defensive midfield player Sean moved John Oster further left and it does not work.
We have to accept this squad is not providing the performances of the team we knew and realistically has not done for a majority of this season. We do not have the quality with in the squad to provide consistent performances. So the players that have left only Mills, Wellens, Roberts and Green have maintained or slightly improve their level. All the others have gone to lower league clubs and none have proved they were good enough to be retained. But the ones we have brought in have not been better than the others. Cost has been the problem.
It has not helped with all the injuries but it also hides the inadequacies in the squad. But when the manager can only get average players with the money provided then this is what happens. It was JR’s pipe dream to get into the premiership but other teams have shown what is required to achieve that. It is not to replace quality players with below average ones. The centre halve situation this season has been laughable, we do not have any one in the calibre of Mills or Shackell in fact our best centre halve at the moment is James O’Connor. Killagon has yet to prove he is any better than Sam Hird. The rest fall in line behind Sam and none including Sam are championship standard.
So yes Sean made the wrong call on Saturday but even without Sam or Keegan or Stock and played Shiels or Mason we would have still lost IMO.
We NEED Hayter, Gillet and Mills fit as soon as possible to see a difference in performance and winning results.

Bang on. I've said for a while that to get out of a 46 game a season league the squad needs to contain 15+ top players and we don't have that. Not only that but given what we can afford to pay its going to be very hard to do that as it would mean us having players almost as good as Billy and Copps on the bench for circa £5k p/w. Going to be a big ask. Since we've been in this division we've probably had a good enough squad to go up, they just haven't all been at the club at the same time!

Dimples-D

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 14, 2011, 08:55:22 am by Dimples-D »
CJK wrote:
Although its terribly disappointing and frustrating to witness the run we are on at the moment, one must not forget the sense of context required. For as long as Rovers continue to play their football in the second tier, every season that honour is secured will be deemed a great success, and rightly so. We will forever be punching above our weight when playing the likes of Portsmouth, Forest and Leeds, the away following yesterday shows you the stature of a club like Pompey.

We need to remember that if it wasn't for the Directors we wouldn't be anywhere close to the Championship; how many Chairman do you know who put their own money into something knowing that they will get nothing back financially. JR said we need average gates of 10,000 plus to purely gain even ground. When you look at some of the wage bills in this league and you look at ours, the fact we can play the majestic football (usually) we do and manage to stay in the league is a miracle.

Just rememeber that.

I totally agree mate..

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 14, 2011, 11:47:04 am by River Don »
PDX_Rover wrote:
I know to a lot of people SO'D is seen as dispassionate and in many ways he is the polar opposite of DP, but he's won me over.

I'm optimistic.

Where does the idea that Dave Penney was a passionate touchline manager come from?

I remember he was always quietly leant against the BV dug out arms folded, and he came in for a LOT of criticism on here for not being passionate enough.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 14, 2011, 12:06:24 pm by River Don »
BobG wrote:
I think this is the single most depressing thread I have ever read on here.

The level of the thinking, the absence of insight, the kneejerk over reaction, the hysterical victimisation of individuals, the depth of the emotional views - they all say to me that some Rovers supporters have the minds of 6 year olds. Quite a lot of this thread is shameful for ANY  member of a race that characterises itself as 'thinking'. There's precious little of that from the proponents of 'he/we are shit brigade' on here.

BobG

I couldn't agree more Bob.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012