Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:23:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 2939 times)

jmt

• Forum Member
Thoughts
« on February 14, 2011, 04:43:45 pm by jmt »
Still depressed over sat. I'm now thinking we dropped a big one,signing Billy.
Billy would have been the right signing,next year, I keep thinking we should have signed the shak and Elliot ward, giving us a solid base to build on this year, putting most our eggs in the Billy basket was wrong. Hindsight's great.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

stoxy001

• Forum Member
Re:Thoughts
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2011, 04:50:00 pm by stoxy001 »
you dropped a big one by posting that more like......

have a word with yer'self.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2011, 05:00:31 pm by Filo »
jmt wrote:
Billy would have been the right signing,next year, I keep thinking we should have signed the shak and Elliot ward, giving us a solid base to build on this year, putting most our eggs in the Billy basket was wrong. Hindsight's great.

Jesus Christ! Did you think that earlier in the season? Did you think that when he had the Fat lad t shirt on show?

Give the lad a break, he`s having a barren spell, not helped by the fact he`s getting virtually zero supply!

He`s had a bit of a bite back at a handful of chavs at the Wolves game and all of a sudden he`s public enemy no 1, he`s like the majority on here, he`s frustrated, he knows we are better than we are at the moment, I wish a few more on the pitch would show a bit more frustration and determination, and be prepared to dig in, and then maybe we could turn this slump around!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2011, 05:02:23 pm by RedJ »
JMT raises an interesting point. I don't think we were wrong to sign Billy, as such, but maybe we should've spent a little extra (I realise we have a tight budget) on the defence too.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #4 on February 14, 2011, 05:07:19 pm by I-was-there1976 »
the only prob i can see with signing Sharp on 10k a week or whatever he is on is when the likes of Stocky, Oster, Copps get together with their agents and want similar amounts when doing renewals. The club either gives in or the players dont sign and leave on the cheap/free.

Stocks latest contract renewal couldnt have been a cheap one for the club

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2011, 05:09:53 pm by Filo »
RedJ wrote:
JMT raises an interesting point. I don't think we were wrong to sign Billy, as such, but maybe we should've spent a little extra (I realise we have a tight budget) on the defence too.

It`s all well and good saying this in hindsight, but when Shackell went chasing the Dollar, who would foresee the injury crisis, yes we`ve probably spent what we could have spent on Shackell, but how do we know Shackell would n`t have got injured playing for us, for me the right decisions were made at the time, we were all crying out for Billy to be signed, one bite back at some wannabe hardmen and all of a sudden it was a mistake to sign him, I hope Billy does n`t read some of these comments!

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2011, 05:11:27 pm by jucyberry »
Oh good grief allmighty... that sounds like the kind of winge my grandson makes when his toys don't do what he wants them too.. One doesn't want to come across like an angry grandma, but you fickle fooker.. If I had a pound for every we want Billy . we want him now thread this time last year and beyond I would be able to have my own box permanently at the Keepmoat...

Find something real to be depressed about, like that poor lad who has lost his family..

Billy is golden goal scoring talent..everyone has off times, that's when they need the fans behind them all the more.

Scold over..  :)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2011, 05:35:48 pm by graingrover »
great riposte from Jucy Berry ... you gave him all he deserves!

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2011, 05:36:30 pm by ljm-drfc »
jmt wrote:

13 goals for a team 16th in the league in february, nuff said.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2011, 05:49:45 pm by grayx »
We were desperate for a quality goalscorer, Sharp has proved earlier this season that he is one. I don't honestley think we could have got any better for the money we paid. Billy is as frustrated as fcuk at the moment,probably because of for whatever reason, we are not playing the type of football that we can and what suited him. I accept that his body language/tantrums leave a lot to be desired at the moment,but I'm hoping with a bit of support up front, a goal will put a smile back on his face.
I hope he hasn't caused unrest amongst the other players,just because of the salary he is on,but it is possible.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2011, 06:06:07 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Billy is a brilliant signing, he will soon be back on song, It may well coincide with Hayters return, I know we were not exactly firing on all cylinders the last few games he played before the injury, but he gives the team the right balance in my opinion.

I hope that whoever can make it tomorrow night really get behind the boys.

DRFCTom

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 14, 2011, 06:34:06 pm by DRFCTom »
Pleeeease delete this thread...

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 14, 2011, 06:51:31 pm by wilts rover »
jmt wrote:

We tried to sign Shackell and Ward but they didnt want to come here - other clubs offered them more money. The difference with Billy is that other clubs offered him more money and he did want to come here, he rejected them in favour of playing for us.

If you think back and remember Billy's signing rather than being seen as a catalist for unrest among the rest of the players was seen as a sign that we had ambition as a club and given as a reason why other players Coppinger, O'Conner, Oster and now Stock were willing to extend current deals. I think I am right in saying that all these players resigned after the announcement that Billy was to sign for us (and they would all have know privately anyway) so I think the wages issue is irrelevant.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2011, 07:34:38 pm by RedJ »
:laugh: I had to re-read that last sentence there. The hyphen is all important in a certain word there ;-)

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2011, 04:18:41 am by jmt »
I probably wrote the topic wrongly, I was as desperate as any rovers fan to sign Billy, and love everything he brings to the club, and was in no way an attack at him  :unsure:

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2011, 04:46:30 am by Old Popsider »
jmt wrote:
I probably wrote the topic wrongly, I was as desperate as any rovers fan to sign Billy, and love everything he brings to the club, and was in no way an attack at him  :unsure:

Engage brain before typing. Then re-read what you've typed before posting it and maybe you'll save the embarrasment of coming across as a .................whatever.   ;)

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2011, 07:23:27 am by ScillyRover »
I wish we had another half dozen Billys

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2011, 10:27:07 am by benaldo »
Yes it was a mistake just signing billy, but signing billy wasn't a mistake! Great player.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2011, 11:21:08 am by BRMC_rover »
RedJ wrote:

If in pre season, we were told our first 11 would include Sharp spearheading the attack and Kilgallon brought in to sit in the heart of the defence, we'd all be as happy as Larry. Unfortunately we cant determine how form will affect us at certain periods over the season. Im still very much optimistic that once we get a relatively settled strongest starting 11, we'l start building momentum again, and finish the season in a respectable position. Il predict we wind up in 10th position, 5 points from the last play off spot.

Oster and Billy need to freshen up and get going again and the rest of the team will follow suit.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2011, 12:34:06 pm by RedJ »
benaldo wrote:
Yes it was a mistake just signing billy, but signing billy wasn't a mistake! Great player.

That's what I meant, you phrased it better though :-)

Im still very much optimistic that once we get a relatively settled strongest starting 11, we'l start building momentum again, and finish the season in a respectable position. Il predict we wind up in 10th position, 5 points from the last play off spot.

Oddly enough, that was my prediction pre-season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012