Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:12:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers 'til I die (unless we are getting beat)  (Read 5951 times)

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
Rovers 'til I die (unless we are getting beat)
« on February 15, 2011, 11:16:58 pm by colfromdonny »
leaving with 20 minutes to go - you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Re:Rovers 'til I die (unless we are getting beat)
« Reply #1 on February 15, 2011, 11:22:16 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Errmmm, I left with 25 minutes to go, as I would have done if we were winning, to pick our lass up from work.

Is that alright with you?

Oh! and Im not ashamed of myself neither.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 15, 2011, 11:22:44 pm by drfcsteve »
Some of our fans are an absolute joke, but what about Ipswich! 6 nil up and still nothing from them! Credit to everyone that stayed and cheered till the end though, even though there wasn't anything to cheer about!

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 15, 2011, 11:23:16 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
Is that you moaning again Col?  :lol:

I stuck it until 86 minutes (although if it hadn't been pissing it down I think I may well have had to be 'ashamed of myself' as well.

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on February 15, 2011, 11:36:49 pm by VikingJames »
It might be going slightly off at a tangent, but I was quite frustrated with some of the things I heard from our supporters tonight.

If people want to leave early, that's up to them, and it doesn't really bother me. It was a freezing cold night and I can understand why people were fed up in the heat of the moment.

It's not people leaving early that bothers me though. It's some of the brainless comments from some of the people near me in the South Stand that wound me up. For example, the constant barrage of abuse aimed at Gary Woods from a section near me, just because he misplaced a couple of successive goal kicks. He's a rookie goalkeeper for Christ's sake... he's stepped up to the mark in the midst of our injury problems, and the last thing he needs to hear to try and bring his confidence back is people openly slating him at 0-3 down. Wouldn't bother me as much if he was actually at fault for any of the goals at that point in the game, but he was pretty helpless given the performances of those playing outfield. Plus, he was clearly on message to aim for Copps from the Goal kicks, I can't have seen us retaining the ball any better even if he'd followed the advice of some of the folk near me and decided to kick it down the middle.

Plus, the booing from the SS at half-time. Fair enough if you're not happy with the performance, but surely there are more productive ways to express it than jeering the players as they leave the pitch. No wonder they couldn't be arsed. The moment when the players went down the tunnel at HT pretty much summed up our support. Morons booing in the SS, whilst the folk in the West Stand above the tunnel clearly tried to raise the players spirits a bit with a ripple of applause and undoubtedly some words of encouragement.... thank god we've still got some of those sorts of people going to the Rovers.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 15, 2011, 11:42:11 pm by Filo »
VikingJames wrote:
Morons booing in the SS, whilst the folk in the West Stand above the tunnel clearly tried to raise the players spirits a bit with a ripple of applause and undoubtedly some words of encouragement.... thank god we've still got some of those sorts of people going to the Rovers.

Yes the booing from the SS was shameful, at least us West Standers showed some class and shouted encouragement to try and gee them up!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2011, 11:54:44 pm by MrFrost »
Do you expect people to sit there in the cold and wet for a full 90 minutes of that garbage?
I'm sorry, but people pay good money to witness a team on thousands of pounds per week not put the effort in.
I'm not for throwing abuse at the players, but they do not deserve to be applauded on that showing, they deserve to be booed from the field.

I'm sorry, but I won't sit there and applaud a team who cannot at least show some fight and passion.

If that's harsh, then so be it, but i'm sick of people who won't admit when the team deserves to be critisised.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 15, 2011, 11:56:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I heard a number of boos in West Stand at H/T also which is disappointing but I guess people who pay their money are entitled to voice their opinion.

On the positive side it was refreshing to hear clapping and encouragement even with the game out of sight.

DN8ROVER

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 16, 2011, 12:00:20 am by DN8ROVER »
The two blokes who sit next to me f**ked off home at half time. :angry:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 16, 2011, 12:01:04 am by Filo »
MrFrost wrote:
Do you expect people to sit there in the cold and wet for a full 90 minutes of that garbage?
I'm sorry, but people pay good money to witness a team on thousands of pounds per week not put the effort in.
I'm not for throwing abuse at the players, but they do not deserve to be applauded on that showing, they deserve to be booed from the field.

I'm sorry, but I won't sit there and applaud a team who cannot at least show some fight and passion.

If that's harsh, then so be it, but i'm sick of people who won't admit when the team deserves to be critisised.

It`s not about criticising them, it`s about giving encouragement and trying to gee them up, halfway through a game

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 16, 2011, 12:03:42 am by MrFrost »
Filo wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

It`s not about criticising them, it`s about giving encouragement and trying to gee them up, halfway through a game

They shouldn't need encouraging. They are professional sportsmen being paid a shedload, doing a job that many could only dream of.

If pulling on that shirt and taking to the field isn't encouragement enough, then I don't know what is. They deserved every boo they got tonight, because I saw more effort from the Esdaille's and Padi Wilson than I did from half of that shower tonight.

I don't agree with abusing the players and jeering them, but booing at half or full time is fully justified in my opinion.

VikingJames

« Reply #11 on February 16, 2011, 12:05:52 am by VikingJames »
I can't fault people for getting frustrated, but in my opinion, there must be better ways of channelling your feelings of frustration than openly slating/booing the players. Many obviously disagree with me based on todays H/T reaction, but that is just my opinion.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 16, 2011, 12:45:25 am by Superspy »
im just glad all the boo boys went when they did, at least there was no booing at full time, or not that i could hear anyway....sarcastic cheers maybe, but i can tolerate that.

either way, for me the best way of criticising is to simply stay silent, i have never booed a rovers player, and i never will, but thats just me.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 16, 2011, 01:22:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
VikingJames wrote:
I can't fault people for getting frustrated, but in my opinion, there must be better ways of channelling your feelings of frustration than openly slating/booing the players. Many obviously disagree with me based on todays H/T reaction, but that is just my opinion.

You're from the wrong era sparra.

You'd have fitted in perfectly in the Victorian days when Bon Accord lost 36-0 to Arbroath or when Preston beat Hyde 26-0.

I'm sure all their fans shouted bravely, \"Play up Bon Accord/Hyde. It's the taking part that counts. Nil Desperandum and all that, what?\"

In fact, had I been there tonight (inspired choice of match to miss eh?) I'd have been saying those very things myself.

I mean, it's only a game after all.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 16, 2011, 08:36:20 am by Jimmydee »
MrFrost wrote, Do you expect people to sit there in the cold and wet for a full 90 minutes?

It's winter and if you are going to watch an outdoor event then you get wrapped up well so that you can watch the full 90 minutes, unless you are daft enough to just turn up in a replica shirt and not got a vest on.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 16, 2011, 08:55:41 am by MrFrost »
Jimmydee wrote:
MrFrost wrote, Do you expect people to sit there in the cold and wet for a full 90 minutes?

It's winter and if you are going to watch an outdoor event then you get wrapped up well so that you can watch the full 90 minutes, unless you are daft enough to just turn up in a replica shirt and not got a vest on.

A shame you couldn't manage to quote what I actually had said.......

Can you blame people for walking out? It would have happened at every stadium in the country.

Those players should be ashamed for the display they put on last night. Not an ounce of effort or fight. We didn't collapse that bad at home in 97/98 when we had a team of convicts and Mark Weavers mates.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 16, 2011, 11:12:03 am by Rios »
I left after the fifth went on.  After getting up at 5.30am that morning, a full day at work and the realisation that I was an hour and a half from home and getting up at 5.30am again this morning I almost left at half time too.

If it makes you feel superior playing your marter card because you stayed till the final whistle then more power to you.  I've done my time and seen my misery (Orient away at Christmas in 97/98 really sticks in the mind), so if people earning money I can only dream of want to take the piss out of me by putting in that sort of performance last night then I'm not going to sit there getting more miserable, cold and tired just for the sheer masochistic pleasure of it.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 16, 2011, 11:14:59 am by MrFrost »
Spot on Rios. I wonder if the original poster was at orient or any other games that season.

London_Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 16, 2011, 11:26:50 am by London_Rover »
In every workplace, and in life, there are those that respond better to encouragement and those that respond better to a kick up the ass.  We all know that.  Perhaps the manager should decide which is which and send them off the pitch via that Soouth Stand or the West Stand.  That way we are all happy...

VikingJames

« Reply #19 on February 16, 2011, 11:31:51 am by VikingJames »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

You'd have fitted in perfectly in the Victorian days when Bon Accord lost 36-0 to Arbroath or when Preston beat Hyde 26-0.

I'm sure all their fans shouted bravely, \"Play up Bon Accord/Hyde. It's the taking part that counts. Nil Desperandum and all that, what?\"

In fact, had I been there tonight (inspired choice of match to miss eh?) I'd have been saying those very things myself.

Couldn't disagree more. All very funny quips and that, but I just think jeering the players is counter productive. Some of the insults hurled in the direction of Gary Woods from the SS last night were completely uncalled for, whether he was having a bad game or not.

Also, \"sparra\" ??? ...How patronising.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 16, 2011, 01:06:40 pm by hoolahoop »
VikingJames wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. All very funny quips and that, but I just think jeering the players is counter productive. Some of the insults hurled in the direction of Gary Woods from the SS last night were completely uncalled for, whether he was having a bad game or not.

Also, \"sparra\" ??? ...How patronising.

He can be  ;) However I left on 75 mins. and I feel no need to apologise for it either. I won't sit through the abuse that was being hurled at the team from more than a few in the SS from half time onwards.
That was not support and when that starts as it did last night........I want away pronto.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 16, 2011, 01:24:27 pm by wing commander »
i didnt jeer or boo anybody,but i left on 62 minutes and i make no apoligies to you,the players,jr or anybody else.
  I pay my season ticket and if i want to go home whats the problem??? I had to line up many ducks yesterday to get to that game,in fact i made more effort in going in the first place than the likes of Oster,Wilson,Coppinger,Shiels,O Conner and Friend did during it.
  So after a long day at work,driving 30 miles to the match itself ,straight from work ,then watching that utter garbage (even taking injuries into account).If i decide to go home early put me feet up for an hour before i go to bed thats fair enough in my book.

These posters who come on claiming to be super fans,cheering to the death really annoy me.They have not a clue how long the people they criticise have followed this club and i bet a pound to a penny they havent watched a fifth of the games others have :angry:

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 16, 2011, 01:33:19 pm by VivaRovers »
I left early... it was 5pm on Saturday when I walked out.

And I don't regret a thing

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 16, 2011, 01:58:48 pm by The Red Baron »
wing commander wrote:
,driving 30 miles to the match itself

Blimey, mate, try a 200 mile round trip. I nearly got back in the car and drove home when I heard the team line-up, but in the end I stayed to (almost) the bitter end. I gave up when the penalty went in (I didn't think we'd come back then  ;) )

And no, I don't think it makes me a better or worse supporter than anyone else.

PS- at least in future years I'll be able to say that I saw a lad who is going to be an England regular score his first career hat-trick- even if the defence he did it against left a lot to be desired.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 16, 2011, 02:35:55 pm by VivaRovers »
The Red Baron wrote:
At least in future years I'll be able to say that I saw a lad who is going to be an England regular score his first career hat-trick- even if the defence he did it against left a lot to be desired.

Sam Hird scored 3 own goals?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 16, 2011, 02:40:16 pm by wing commander »
Fair play Baron,i have to agree with you,they have a special player there that is for sure.The saddest thing about all this, is the wife has insisted i take her furniture shopping on saturday and in some ways im glad :(

Championship Pub Team

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 17, 2011, 04:45:21 pm by Championship Pub Team »
colfromdonny wrote:
leaving with 20 minutes to go - you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Great sense of humour col, in future say it over the phone seeing as its aimed at us and no one else  ;)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 17, 2011, 05:52:30 pm by RedJ »
VikingJames wrote:
It might be going slightly off at a tangent, but I was quite frustrated with some of the things I heard from our supporters tonight.

If people want to leave early, that's up to them, and it doesn't really bother me. It was a freezing cold night and I can understand why people were fed up in the heat of the moment.

It's not people leaving early that bothers me though. It's some of the brainless comments from some of the people near me in the South Stand that wound me up. For example, the constant barrage of abuse aimed at Gary Woods from a section near me, just because he misplaced a couple of successive goal kicks. He's a rookie goalkeeper for Christ's sake... he's stepped up to the mark in the midst of our injury problems, and the last thing he needs to hear to try and bring his confidence back is people openly slating him at 0-3 down. Wouldn't bother me as much if he was actually at fault for any of the goals at that point in the game, but he was pretty helpless given the performances of those playing outfield. Plus, he was clearly on message to aim for Copps from the Goal kicks, I can't have seen us retaining the ball any better even if he'd followed the advice of some of the folk near me and decided to kick it down the middle.

Plus, the booing from the SS at half-time. Fair enough if you're not happy with the performance, but surely there are more productive ways to express it than jeering the players as they leave the pitch. No wonder they couldn't be arsed. The moment when the players went down the tunnel at HT pretty much summed up our support. Morons booing in the SS, whilst the folk in the West Stand above the tunnel clearly tried to raise the players spirits a bit with a ripple of applause and undoubtedly some words of encouragement.... thank god we've still got some of those sorts of people going to the Rovers.

The day I start booing any of our lads is the day I tear up my season ticket. No matter how shite we've been, no matter how pathetic the performance, I will never boo one of the red and white wizards. We should enjoy the ride. We're lucky to be where we are.

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 17, 2011, 06:54:38 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
I go with Rios on this one, what a miserable night. :(

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 17, 2011, 11:20:59 pm by nice one rovers »
MrFrost wrote:
Spot on Rios. I wonder if the original poster was at orient or any other games that season.
What would it prove if he had been?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012