Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:13:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: George Friend?  (Read 4096 times)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re: George Friend?
« Reply #30 on March 19, 2011, 11:55:05 pm by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=147289
I'm not doubting that Norfolk, and I wasn't blaming him to start with, but if he's at fault then it needs addressing (not by us granted).

Noel, as you're one of the few on here who actually seems to have a good understanding of the game I'll defer to your judgment. After the pass everyone raced back so there was a few bodies in the way (I was pitch-side almost, having arrived late!) so I probably missed it. It'll be on in a few minutes but I'm sure you'll be proved right! You're not a footballer by any chance are you?

Lol, never played any higher than sunday league but sometimes you just spot things happen. I did use to referee a bit though and I genuinely think that helps you read the game in certain situations.

That said I could have missed something glaringly obvious in the build up as to why Sam had been pulled inside a bit so I could be totally wrong anyway!

As part of a bigger picture I can't help but think the huge number of different back 4's we've had to field this season will contribute to lapses in concentration, especially as todays goal came just after half time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 20, 2011, 12:17:47 am by DonnyNoel »
Just seen it, maybe a bit harsh on Sam - he just seemed to get too square on to him and allow him back inside.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 20, 2011, 12:23:05 am by Viking Don »
Think he was a bit wrong-footed after chasing back, had he not been then maybe he'd have shown him down the line instead. That said when he did cut back inside maybe Martis could have done a bit better.

Can't blame the keeper though as it looked like Martis was in the way and he probably didn't have the best view, which explains why I thought he'd dived late.

Overall though it was just a good goal, no complaints really.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 20, 2011, 08:46:08 am by jmt »
I'm not sure about friend at all, he never seems to kick the ball Properly:unsure:  if people think he is the answer to our centre back problem, were in bigger trouble than I thought, we need to buy one or two quality centre backs for next season, and perhaps euell and moussa if on free's.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 20, 2011, 10:15:22 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=147273
There was a moment of sheer brilliance at the start of the first half when friend lost the ball to a QPR player, then stumbled, got the ball back, flicked it over himself...then out for a corner to them. It was like something at the circus.
If Sam Hird was MOM today then I've completely lost faith in the staff at the Doncaster opticians society. He had been doing a half decent job at right back, but today he was slow, out of position a lot, and their left sided player ran rings around him. His slow defending led to their only goal. How on earth can you give him MOM???!! It's bizarre! I know I've not been Sam Hirds greatest fan, but today he was terrible. He wasn't the only bad player today, they were all hoof-ball merchants at some point. I hope today was just an off day for him.

On the plus side, at least we only lost by a goal. Compared to the QPR players I thought we looked slow, out of ideas, mismatched almost totally throughout the team. The players who stood out for me were Moussa, and Euell when he came on. Those two are class, and god knows we need more players like them playing regularly. Woods made a couple of decent saves, but his kicking is atrocious. Friend looked genuinely scared today. He can't stand in the hotspots of Doncasters nightlife tonight with his half a shandy and think he did a great job. But he's learning the position I suppose and at least he had a go (more work needed on heading the ball, running quickly, passing).
We were always going to lose today, so I don't feel too bad considering the team we put out. Oh well, at least the next match is an easy one.................

Having spent most of the morning/afternoon in casualty with my Mother in Law and missed out of my chance in the VSC Box I managed to tune in to Radio Dee Dah just after the start of the 2nd half. I couldn't have predicted it any better than when I said to my wife \"Guess who'll be crucifying Sam for that then\" even she knows what I think about you Benny boy, did you happen to be an actor in Crossroads many years ago? and having watched Rovers for over 40 years she probably knows more about football than you do. So yet again the oracle that is Benaldo is blaming Sam for the goal and no doubt for the defeat. Even Radio Dee Dah whoever was commentating on the match said that Sam was caught square but that it was also an excellent finish.
I think I prefer to read posts from more intelligent supporters who back up their opinions rather than read the bile that you regularly direct in his direction at every opportunity.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 21, 2011, 10:50:17 am by benaldo »
Many thanks for your kind words. You have won an autograph, which will be winging it's way to you very shortly.

Like I was trying to explain in my post Raven, the whole defence had a slightly ropey game, but it was against a top of the table side who were fitter, more organised, and wanted to attack. They had some success down our right, unfortunately for Sam, he was turned and a good finish provided the goal. I don't think he is entirely to blame for the goal. Am I going to be shouted down for saying \"Sam Hird had a terrible game today\" (ps I'm not the only one by a long way) by someone who wasn't even there??!! As I've said before I think he's very much improved since his move to right back. He works hard, can tackle, is a bit wayward with his punting long, but it's something that may improve. I know he was to blame for 3 goals in that famous match, but he's really improving, in my opinion, at right back. And you know what? All around me on saturday I kept hearing \"Bloody Hird...you're useless\" \"Oh for fecks sake Sam\" etc etc and I actually thought they were being a little unfair. SO, don't crucify me without good reason old chum. I'm sure your 213948239875 years of watching rovers mean you make you an expert and my paltry 10/12 years mean nothing, but we are ALL entitled to our opinions on here, it's what makes football great that we all see things from different views.
However, please remove me from your \"Hird hating brigade\" list. I don't hate him. True he's not a first choice player in my eyes, but I like the way he trys and who knows, maybe he'll really take to right back? I hope he does.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 21, 2011, 07:24:56 pm by CusworthRovers »
To be fair you've not denied you're not Mr B Hawkins. Your avatar even depicts him with a bushy false beard. I note you still wear the same hat, which you've patented and made a decent living out of. I bet you've still not got into Miss Diane's knickers though

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 21, 2011, 08:10:56 pm by benaldo »
The hat and, I\"m proud to say, beard are both real! Miss Dianne played hard to get (a bit like Ravenrover), but I\"m happy to say I passed on my numerous std's to her (and unfortunately her subsequent offspring).

Cue music.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 21, 2011, 09:26:13 pm by RedJ »
Speaking of STDs, does anyone remember the ad where the professor told the students to \"study the STDs then pass them on\" (or words to that effect)?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 23, 2011, 08:43:39 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=147491
The hat and, I\"m proud to say, beard are both real! Miss Dianne played hard to get (a bit like Ravenrover), but I\"m happy to say I passed on my numerous std's to her (and unfortunately her subsequent offspring).

Cue music.

Not hard to get, just shy - or do you know the same Miss Diane that I do? Christ now I'm really worried

TinyPortal © 2005-2012