Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 07:24:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hows about this King John?  (Read 1867 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Hows about this King John?
« on March 24, 2011, 09:09:09 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
But easy to say when nearly 30k watch you every week

Derby County have offered season ticket holders a money-back guarantee if they are upset about the club's transfer activity during the close season.

Chief executive Tom Glick has vowed to give disgruntled Rams fans refunds on their tickets at any point before the new campaign gets underway in August.

Glick told BBC Radio Derby: \"If you are not happy with the side we put together, you can get your money back.

\"It's about holding us to account and supporters judging us by our actions.\"

Glick also said supporters will also be given more time to decide if they want to renew their season tickets for the 2011/12 campaign.

\"We have pushed the deadline for renewal on to 15 May because supporters have been concerned about what division we will be in,\" Glick added.

But he was confident the club will not need to see through their pledge to refund season ticket sales to those supporters who feel the club show a lack of ambition during the summer.

\"We just want people to judge us by our actions,\" Glick added.

\"We know we are going to put together a better team, with better players that will require additional investment.

\"We are aware of how supporters are feeling. We know people are not as excited as we want them to be.

\"They want a better squad, we expect a better squad and we are not satisfied.

\"We need better players. That's going to cost money and that money will be spent this summer.\"

Glick said the while he understood fans' frustrations, the American owners had a duty to ensure the long-term stability of the club.

Nearly all of the club's biggest wage earners from the ill-fated season in the Premier League have left Pride Park. And the club's losses have dropped from nearly £15m in 2009 to just over £2m in 2010.
Glick insisted the Rams were in a healthy position, despite the financial results.

And while acknowledging that no loss is a good loss, he said significant investment and progress had been made.

\"The club is in great shape right now,\" he added. \"But what it now needs is some extra investment to push on.

\"Could we have been performing better on a balanced budget? Yes, we probably could have.

\"We take these lessons on board and now we go forward and put together a more exciting and winning squad. It will require more money and we are prepared to do that.\"

Derby have been steadfast in their support for manager Nigel Clough this season, despite some turbulent times.

The owners have done too much hard work to get this club shaped up and in a good position to stop now

Tom Glick
The Rams looked set to challenge for automatic promotion from the Championship in November but a disastrous run has seen them flirting with the relegation places.

However, Glick believes Clough's side will be firmly involved in the play-off spots next term.

\"The top six is the objective,\" Glick said. \"We are going for promotion, we expect to be a top-six side.

\"If we don't go up next year, we expect to be continuing to be in that position until we get through.\"

And he promised that the owners were not losing interest or enthusiasm.

\"They are determined,\" Glick said.

\"The owners have done too much hard work to get this club shaped up and in a good position to stop now and we are actually not as far away as it might seem.\"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: Hows about this King John?
« Reply #1 on March 24, 2011, 09:17:18 pm by vaya »
Utter madness.

It's taken five pages on here to agree on a tune as an example. Can you imagine a club being held literally to ransom by the whims of of the average short-sighted, fickle, ingrate supporter?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 24, 2011, 09:54:40 pm by jonnydog »
Absolutely insane. Surely this will then weigh heavily on cloughs shoulders. Lets be honest, no manager gets EVERY signing right, and its not just about names, its about whether they can play together and gel as a team. And how much can you tell about a team from the pre-season games?

Surely if a big part of their budget is removed due to so called 'fans' thinking they know everything and claiming they could do a better job, then it will have knock on effect?!

What next, Home Kits with sale and return on so they can jump ship if they start losing (as endorsed by some Blunts fans!!!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 24, 2011, 10:38:36 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Or just mind games .....all for people moan they in the mine still love the club and their lives would be less enriched if they didnt go?

Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=147815
Absolutely insane. Surely this will then weigh heavily on cloughs shoulders. Lets be honest, no manager gets EVERY signing right, and its not just about names, its about whether they can play together and gel as a team. And how much can you tell about a team from the pre-season games?

Surely if a big part of their budget is removed due to so called 'fans' thinking they know everything and claiming they could do a better job, then it will have knock on effect?!

What next, Home Kits with sale and return on so they can jump ship if they start losing (as endorsed by some Blunts fans!!!)

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 25, 2011, 09:17:51 am by DRFC-PERKINS »
Maybe they've consulted clough and said right if you want us to buy the players you want, we need results, as their fans are not happy, they've acknowledged that, which is something, even though the idea is a tad mental. It wouldn't suprise me if they sacked him at the end of the season.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 25, 2011, 09:30:57 am by Superspy »
and running this scheme they'll go bust next season, haha

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 25, 2011, 10:36:00 am by benaldo »
Quote from: \"vaya\" post=147808
Utter madness.

It's taken five pages on here to agree on a tune as an example. Can you imagine a club being held literally to ransom by the whims of of the average short-sighted, fickle, ingrate supporter?
[/b]

As an example of the above supporter, can I say that I think it's not a bad idea. It creates a bit of interest, people are talking about it, they are now buzzing about summer transfers, and lets face it Derby have a 20k + home crowd every week (Which I find odd considering Doncaster is a much more heavily populated place). Despite the huge wealth of our board - they must be worth a collective Billion, or not far off - Derby appear to have a bigger wallet too. With us, I don't think the scheme would work unless the board really did dip in their pockets properly. Can you imagine if we had done that scheme last season???

JR - \"Right, I promise you mouth watering signings this summer, so next season its destination blah blah blah. If you don't think the summer signings are up to much I'll give you your money back.\"
Me - \"Brilliant, perhaps the rollercoaster ride hasn't stopped yet. Where's me cheque book, I'll go and get a season ticket.\"
JR (Unveiling day for the new mouthwatering signings) - \"Roll up roll up, here are the mouth watering signings I promised you. Now you'll see how we plan to strengthen our squad and really push for destination blah blah blah blah. (Curtains open to reveal Billy Sharp standing alone on a large stage).
Me - \"WTF? Are the rest of them behind him??\"
JR - \"I'll get me wallet\"
Me - \"Get your coat while you're at it\"

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 25, 2011, 10:50:04 am by DonnyRTID »
Yeah but refunds are only applicable before the season start. Rovers supporters that choose the spread payment option are entitled to a full refund before July.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 25, 2011, 10:53:44 am by benaldo »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=147815

What next, Home Kits with sale and return on so they can jump ship if they start losing (as endorsed by some Blunts fans!!!)[/quote]

I seem to remember watching Rovers play regularly, along with about a thousand other folk. Seems like a few people in most clubs could be accused of that. Ours is no exception.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 25, 2011, 11:22:28 am by The Red Baron »
Oh for the days when you just bought a season ticket or alternatively paid over your hard-earned at the turnstile every other Saturday because you supported the club. I suppose we are all consumers now, not supporters, so we need a money back guarantee if not fully satisfied.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 25, 2011, 12:40:47 pm by mushRTID »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=147846
Oh for the days when you just bought a season ticket or alternatively paid over your hard-earned at the turnstile every other Saturday because you supported the club. I suppose we are all consumers now, not supporters, so we need a money back guarantee if not fully satisfied.

Too right. You either support the club you love or you dont.

Financial reasons i can accept, no problem if you cant afford it.

Waiting to see what league were in, waiting to see who we sign is not in my mind at all. It wasnt in my mind when i started going when we were a shit conference team and its not in my mind now.

I dont think this scheme would work here anyway, there would be too many people that ungrateful they would ask for a refund whoever we signed.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 25, 2011, 12:48:37 pm by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=147841
[]...and lets face it Derby have a 20k + home crowd every week (Which I find odd considering Doncaster is a much more heavily populated place).

Why should that be odd?

Derby have enjoyed (if that is the right term to use) a consistent occupancy in the top 2 divisions since 1992, including a handful of seasons in the Premier League.  We, on the other hand have spent the majority of that time bobbling long in the bottom 2 divisions or the Conference, losing a generation (or two) of support in the process.  We are rebuilding that fanbase, and at the same time having to compete with clubs like Derby (and bigger) on the pitch, which is a bit of a juggling act at times.  Its alright saying Dick and terry are worth a Billion, but isnt it better to grow organically and sustainably than rely on handouts to stop us from folding?  I'd say we are not yet achieving the former - cant even begin to think about the latter.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 25, 2011, 01:26:12 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=147849

Waiting to see what league were in, waiting to see who we sign is not in my mind at all. It wasnt in my mind when i started going when we were a shit conference team and its not in my mind now.

I dont think this scheme would work here anyway, there would be too many people that ungrateful they would ask for a refund whoever we signed.

I don't think thats very fair, I dont think we were a shit conference side, sure we weren't great, but considering where we had been!! TBH I enjoyed the conference days, The dawn of a new era, the buzz that we WERE finally heading in the right direction, and the 'nowhere near' unforgettable unveiling of the star Croatian signing Mirsad Bubalovic  :laugh: ... and I'm not speaking ill of the dead, just the fact he was a spectacularly failed signing (one appearance as sub). RIP Mirsad.

... Happy days and memories though  :scarf:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 25, 2011, 01:36:09 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=147854
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=147849

[/i][/b]

I don't think thats very fair, I dont think we were a shit conference side, sure we weren't great, but considering where we had been!! TBH I enjoyed the conference days, The dawn of a new era, the buzz that we WERE finally heading in the right direction, and the 'nowhere near' unforgettable unveiling of the star Croatian signing Mirsad Bubalovic  :laugh: ... and I'm not speaking ill of the dead, just the fact he was a spectacularly failed signing (one appearance as sub). RIP Mirsad.

... Happy days and memories though  :scarf:

I spotted that you put Bulgarian Marcello Bubalovic before you edited it ;)

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 25, 2011, 01:39:50 pm by benaldo »
It's the chicken and egg scenario isn't it. You don't buy good players - You don't go anywhere and get no extra fans. You do buy good players - you potentially go somewhere and you gain more fans.

In this day and age football is not about \"Growing organically\" it's about money. I don't think many clubs at the top turn over a sponsorship/gate receipt/food drink revenue, which goes anywhere near paying for the inflated \"stars\" wages. So, in that respect Doncaster Rovers have probably reached their peak? The alternative is to spend money if you want to take a trip up into the top of the table or, dare I say it, the premiership.

Doncaster are not going to suddenly get another 5k fans by sitting mid to bottom table, so we'll never be able to afford to buy the quality of players needed to get into the play-offs. It's very sad, but I'm afraid money dictates who goes up and who goes down, even more so the higher you go up. All the marketing in the world won't get us the stadium full, but getting into the premiership would.

Seems pretty simple. Spend money - gamble on going up. Or don't spend money - gamble on not going down.

There is far too much money going to players these days for nothing more than running around kicking a ball. When a footballer earns twice as much in a week as the man running the country does in a year, something is very, very wrong.

So, no, I'm not having a go at the directors, I'm pointing out the bleeding obvious. Spend = win, don't spend = hope we don't lose.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 25, 2011, 01:44:15 pm by jonnydog »
I spotted that you put Bulgarian Marcello Bubalovic before you edited it ;)

Sssssh... You didn't see owt  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012