Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 06:14:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Nice to see....  (Read 2859 times)

Townender

• Forum Member
Nice to see....
« on April 12, 2011, 09:48:34 pm by Townender »
Gary Woods getting more confident with every game imo.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rover13

• Forum Member
Re: Nice to see....
« Reply #1 on April 12, 2011, 09:51:47 pm by Rover13 »
I have been saying it for a while now game after game he is getting more and more confident and he made some great saves today

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 12, 2011, 09:52:19 pm by Filo »
Made a couple of good saves, one a certain goal, but i thought he was hesitant at coming to claim balls and his kicking was shite

Absolutely world class save from Preston`s keeper mind!

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 12, 2011, 09:54:02 pm by stockyboy »
Really? I thought his kicking was spot on. Tw ododgey kicks from free/goal kicks that went out but every other time went straight to the intending target. He looks a quality prospect and deserves number 1 shirt next season for me.

Townender

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 12, 2011, 09:54:46 pm by Townender »
If they ( Preston) give a mom, then it must be the keeper. I agree Filo, he was excellent tonight.

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 12, 2011, 09:55:48 pm by stockyboy »
Was their keeper the bloke we had on loan here a few years ago under Penney?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 12, 2011, 09:56:11 pm by BobG »
But surely he was that clown we had on loan once when DP was here? He wasn't very good then. Ian Turner I think? Didn't he go to Everton for a while though? So maybe we had him as a kid?

BobG

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 12, 2011, 10:03:21 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"BobG\" post=150121
But surely he was that clown we had on loan once when DP was here? He wasn't very good then. Ian Turner I think? Didn't he go to Everton for a while though? So maybe we had him as a kid?

BobG

Yep he`s the same man, one point blank save in the first couple of minutes and a save Gordon Banks would have been proud of from a header from his own defender in the second half!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 12, 2011, 10:06:27 pm by Viking Don »
Is it the same guy? I think we loaned him from Everton didn't we? I thought he was shite!

I'd have him in a flash now though, top class saves tonight.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 12, 2011, 10:07:22 pm by Al4475 »
Funny really, I thought he showed a lot of potential when we had him! Don't recall any major cock-ups whilst he was with us! I would've liked us to have had another look at him to be fair!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 12, 2011, 10:14:39 pm by Viking Don »
Quote from: \"Al4475\" post=150128
Funny really, I thought he showed a lot of potential when we had him! Don't recall any major cock-ups whilst he was with us! I would've liked us to have had another look at him to be fair!

Be interesting to hear your opinion on G Woods then, as that's kinda what I think about him now, i.e. shows great potential, but my judgment is obviously not great when it comes to young keepers! Turner looked very accomplished to me tonight and I'd love us to go for him next season and keep Woods to develop further.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 12, 2011, 10:23:53 pm by Superspy »
well i thought woods had another great game tonight, for me he just seems to lack a bit of confidence in throwing the ball out, i lost count of the number of times jimmy was running wide when it seemed ideal for a quick release only for him to boot it long.

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 12, 2011, 10:25:06 pm by drfcdrfc »
So, only me that thought Woods looked anything but confident?

Kicking was poor, never came for any crosses. Not saying he won't get better but he looked frightened at times for me.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 12, 2011, 10:27:59 pm by Al4475 »
Viking Don wrote:
Be interesting to hear your opinion on G Woods then, as that's kinda what I think about him now, i.e. shows great potential, but my judgment is obviously not great when it comes to young keepers! Turner looked very accomplished to me tonight and I'd love us to go for him next season and keep Woods to develop further.

So in answer - here goes!

I think Woods is going to be an absolutely fantastic goalkeeper, and I think we are very lucky to have him. He does an awful lot right - positional play is generally good although I feel he needs to get off of his line a bit further - in essence (and in my opinion which will obviously differ from others) he's usually in the right place but not quite far enough forward to be a huge object blocking out the goal. I like his distribution, which again can be a little wayward occasionally but is generally accurate and the players seem to know where he's trying to send it, however he's a little to eager to kick it when a flat, fast roll/bowl/throw to full backs or just in front of players' feet for them to run onto would be a better choice.

His shot stopping looks good - but again would improve a tad if he got a fraction further off of his line. I like the way the other players have confidence to give it back to him rather than hoof it forward (obviously if we're in possession of the ball the opposition can't score).  

His main weakness for me at the moment is getting off his line and having confidence in his own ability to come and claim the ball - command his defenders and plough through them to claim it if need be.

I think watching him that he's picked up a lot of Sulli's mannerisms and tricks of the trade which bodes well!

Let's not forget he's represented England at a fair few levels and has spent time training with the likes of Van Der Saar, Kuszcack, Foster, Heaton, Amos, Sullivan et al - a great education, and one I hope DRFC reaps the benefits of. He reminds me of a young Joe Hart too - I think he just needs to regard himself as good enough to be Number 1 and have confidence in his ability!

All my own opinion of course!B)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 12, 2011, 10:36:16 pm by Viking Don »
Can't disagree with any of that. I think he's definitely going to be a very good keeper for us in time, but think he just needs a bit more time as understudy to someone with more experience (as it seems this may be the last season we have Sully). Time's on his side and we'll struggle to find a better understudy IMO.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 12, 2011, 10:37:40 pm by jonnydog »
IMO on woods tonight...

Pulled off some excellent saves, 2 of which were definately going in. Lacked confidence in rushing out, lacked confidence in throwing, movin quickly for counter-attacks. But I too feel he is going to be a cracking keeper, some really good moments tonight and nice to hear fans giving him a boost.

... One issue I do have is I wish to god we would stop training our keepers to boot it down the left all the time. Not a dig on Woods, obviously doing as informed!!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 12, 2011, 10:41:13 pm by jonnydog »
... Also nice to see O'Connor back and seemingly enjoying his football.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 12, 2011, 10:42:19 pm by Akinfenwa »
Woods is a decent young keeper with good potential however I'd be a bit concerned if he were to be first choice keeper next season. Can't see that being the case though. For me his main strength I've noticed is that he is very good at coming out to stop one-on-ones. There have been a few times where a player has gone through and he's rushed out and blocked the shot well.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 12, 2011, 10:42:36 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=150112
Made a couple of good saves, one a certain goal, but i thought he was hesitant at coming to claim balls and his kicking was shite

Same as he was at Ashton Gate. His releasing was slow too, lacking confidence even from his hands. His biggest problem when I saw him last was his ability to deal with a pass back. On either foot he was vulnerable and don't think this along with lack of confidence on coming out to claim the ball instills much confidence in the defence, which can itself lack some erm... confidence. It could all come good with a bit of stability, believe in your selves boys!

I'd like to see him kept as number one keeper if Sulli goes, but hope Sulli stays as alternative keeper cum coach if he's qualified, and depending on the cost of that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 12, 2011, 10:44:44 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"drfcdrfc\" post=150136
So, only me that thought Woods looked anything but confident?

Kicking was poor, never came for any crosses. Not saying he won't get better but he looked frightened at times for me.

No, not only you

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=999999&id=150108&Itemid=97#150112

And listening to SoD`s post match interview, he was critical of his kicking

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 12, 2011, 10:45:59 pm by Al4475 »
Viking Don wrote:

Can't disagree with any of that. I think he's definitely going to be a very good keeper for us in time, but think he just needs a bit more time as understudy to someone with more experience (as it seems this may be the last season we have Sully). Time's on his side and we'll struggle to find a better understudy IMO.

If the relatively strong whisperings heading out of Scunthorpe regarding a certain Irish international goalkeeper moving round about 20 miles down the road turn out to be true - you may well get that! (Pure Speculation with absolutely no grounding of course!);)

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 12, 2011, 11:07:35 pm by Viking Don »
Be really funny to see him booting the ball at his own player next season! Great half time entertainment, better than the dour shite they're forcing down our throats ATM.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 13, 2011, 05:35:57 am by BigH »
You might be thinking of the wrong bloke. Turner was a loanee from Everton for a month a few years back. A bit raw but far from a clown. I remember one game in particular at Tranmere where he pulled off some superb saves.

His career has been in the doldrums at Everton for one 'clown-like' moment c.3 years ago where I think he raced from his line and got lobbed or some such. As a result he's dropped to 4th choice. Preston have taken a chance on him and it seems to have worked; he's keeping Lonergan on the bench and Lonergan is no slouch.

There are a lot of decent GK out there buried away in Premiership squads. This is one reason why I've not understood the preoccupation with persisting with Sullivan this season.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 13, 2011, 09:18:10 am by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=150154
Great half time entertainment, better than the dour shite they're forcing down our throats ATM.

... Speaking of which, Where are the Vikettes? :cry:

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 13, 2011, 09:20:24 am by inSODwetrust »
G.Woods MOTM for me, kept us in it, in the first half!

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 13, 2011, 11:37:14 am by george-friend »
Quote from: \"inSODwetrust\" post=150212

Agreed,how did there number 27 miss that when Woods palmed it out.

He could be first choice next year if we need him too. :)

VikingJames

« Reply #26 on April 13, 2011, 12:52:54 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"george-friend\" post=150260

He was offside anyway so it wouldn't have stood.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 13, 2011, 12:57:57 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=150276

Preston`s goal was offside, and that stood!

VikingJames

« Reply #28 on April 13, 2011, 01:12:45 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=150279

But the Johnson (no 27) offside in the first half was actually given by the lino.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 13, 2011, 01:15:38 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=150285
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=150279

But the Johnson (no 27) offside in the first half was actually given by the lino.

I know, strange one that, a lino actuall getting something right at the KM! :laugh:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012