Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:25:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: You can give them free tickets but you can't make  (Read 5112 times)

redwine

• Forum Member
Re: You can give them free tickets but you can't make
« Reply #30 on April 22, 2011, 08:56:03 pm by redwine »
I always try and look for the humourous response, no point in being a miserable bas**rd, although that does tend to run against the grain of most Rovers supporters :)

I do indeed remember that day in January 2008 :)

Just...........lol

Sometimes though we can be just like Leeds fans, living in the past.

It's always nice to reminisce,(see my post about my dad) but what is important is the here and now

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 22, 2011, 09:27:39 pm by danrover82 »
I felt today that the fans were up for it giving it great atmosphere before the Ko. The downside being they came at us straight from KO and like the team, the fans didn't have a response.

If anything was learn't from today, it has to be that the fans are there to attract (many old shirts dusted off). We just have to work harder as a club to get them here. I'm not saying give tickets away all season long, but surely its time for the club to address its pricing structure?

I know we are wanting the best players, premiership etc etc, but we have a manager who is a master at patience and I think we need to work on the crowds  via dropping prices a little and consolidating in the league for a couple more seasons then go for it.  If we are lucky to be tickling the play offs thats fine lets dream but we need to stop the libary feeling, its embarrassing to be out sung week in, week out by 1500 fans at home.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 22, 2011, 10:53:31 pm by hoolahoop »
What a crock of shite re. being outsung that was never the case.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 22, 2011, 11:07:58 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=152712
Quote from: \"Wokingviking\" post=152691
On Radio 5 Live they actually commented how the home crowd was really getting behind the team in the second half.

There is a perception issue here - you tend to hear the other end better than your own.  There is a post of on here somewhere of a Preston fan's video of our home end a couple of weeks ago which confirms just that.

NO perception issue from me.....I sit right on the halfway line in the East stand. There wasn't one moment when the home fans out-sung the meagre away support. And the drummers....my god, it was as if they weren't even there the entire first half, and most of the second half. I have no idea what the point of having them is? They never start a song, and when they do join in a song they manage one verse. At one point in the second half they even drummed while our keeper was taking a run up fro a goal kick...something that is traditionally reserved for putting off opposition keepers, surely??! Not that you can makes Woods' kicking any worse mind you.

Considering the board spent X thousands of pounds on filling the ground (Which wasn't actually full, lots of gaps...as I predicted) and kitting everyone out with nice flags, with the sole aim of \"cheering the team to victory\" \"Being the 12th man\" blah blah blah, I would say it was a waste of their money. A lovely gesture to the town, and an expensive marketing exercise, but a waste of money.

1) The crowd cannot win a game of football.
2) A Doncaster crowd of 14,000 sounds like the crowd of 8,000 who attend every home game, even though this game was hyped and billed as the most important of the season.

I have to say I agree with SOD in the programme notes where he said he gets frustrated that people think todays game was the most important. Why should those 3 points be worth any more than any other throughout the season??

What a load of shit.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 22, 2011, 11:38:58 pm by Viking Don »
Yea, JR should have not bothered and saved his money to spend on a player - let's say one for around 7000 x say £20 (tops considering how many kids got in free), so £140,000. That'd buy us a proper world-beater eh Benaldo? Then we'd have to hope he'd play for nowt too.

Jeez, I don't know why I even bothered, I don't usually.

kittyslass

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 23, 2011, 12:24:27 am by kittyslass »
Where we sit in the west stand you could definitely hear the singing of the Rovers fans, but also of the Palace fans.

Historically, away fans tend to make a lot of noise, whether it is some visiting the Keepmoat or us going away because being in the minority we/they have to try to make themselves heard above the \"homies\".

We don't have any problem hearing our fans any week, but there was also a lot more noise from our people today.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 23, 2011, 01:23:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Considering the board spent X thousands of pounds on filling the ground (Which wasn't actually full, lots of gaps...as I predicted) and kitting everyone out with nice flags, with the sole aim of \"cheering the team to victory\" \"Being the 12th man\" blah blah blah, I would say it was a waste of their money. A lovely gesture to the town, and an expensive marketing exercise, but a waste of money.

1) The crowd cannot win a game of football.
2) A Doncaster crowd of 14,000 sounds like the crowd of 8,000 who attend every home game, even though this game was hyped and billed as the most important of the season.

I have to say I agree with SOD in the programme notes where he said he gets frustrated that people think todays game was the most important. Why should those 3 points be worth any more than any other throughout the season??

Well having always taken your posts on face value and tried to see things from your point of view, I have to say on the basis of this we are poles apart and you must be wearing dark glasses and a pair of headphones.

Only you could be disappointed that the attendance was in excess of 14000 and instead of seeing enthusiastic supporters of all ages, especially the young, all you see is empty seats.

Get yourself off the ante-depressants, they are not working.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 23, 2011, 04:59:58 pm by danrover82 »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=152791
What a crock of shite re. being outsung that was never the case.

Really?  It was like a libary from the moment they put pressure on our team and the Palace crowd cleary made more noise for more of the game ( never shut up) then ours.

If thats not out sund then I'm Rolf Harris

You can lead a horse to water....

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 23, 2011, 06:31:14 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=152794
Yea, JR should have not bothered and saved his money to spend on a player - let's say one for around 7000 x say £20 (tops considering how many kids got in free), so £140,000. That'd buy us a proper world-beater eh Benaldo? Then we'd have to hope he'd play for nowt too.

No it wouldn't, but it might have paid his wages for a few months......wouldn't it........ :blink:

Not that I give a monkeys. ALL I watch Rovers for is for a bit of light hearted entertainment on an alternating Saturday afternoon. I pay through the nose for it, no complaints, and my views, while not always happy clappy, are as relevant as yours, your neighbours, your cats, etc etc.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 23, 2011, 08:06:00 pm by Viking Don »
Of course you view is just as important as mine. It's just that your view is too often on a negative perpsective for me to agree with you. You're obviously an intelligent bloke but you just make supporting Rovers seem like a chore at times. Believe me, it really has been a a chore at most of the times in my life, but recently it has been an absolute pleasure.

BTW a world beater would get that much every week, so no, it wouldn't pay his wages for a few months.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 24, 2011, 08:39:23 am by DonnyRTID »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=152925
Quote from: \"Viking Don\" post=152794

No it wouldn't, but it might have paid his wages for a few months......wouldn't it........ :blink:

Not that I give a monkeys. ALL I watch Rovers for is for a bit of light hearted entertainment on an alternating Saturday afternoon. I pay through the nose for it, no complaints, and my views, while not always happy clappy, are as relevant as yours, your neighbours, your cats, etc etc.[/quote

If you really don't give a monkeys, why bother going at all.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 24, 2011, 08:58:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Sounds like more wilfull O'driscoll contrarianism.

Of course 3 points at any time is worth 3 points. But Friday's match was more important than the ones that had already gone because we could no longer do anything to influence those other games. They were finished. Done. Mostly lost already.

What is the point in complaining about folk getting worked up about a match happening NOW as opposed to one that happened 6 months ago. It seems almost designed to put a damper on things.

And, as with so many of O'Driscoll's public announcements, it utterly ignores (or perhaps, deliberately runs contrary to) the fans' mentality. Every fan knows that that the more exciting and important games are the ones where the result can immediately be SEEN to affect the chances of promotion/relegation. Even the die hards who go to every match get an extra knot in their stomach in those matches. Why decry that? It's a fact of life.

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 24, 2011, 10:38:50 am by keepmoatman »
Quote from: \"stockyboy\" post=152696
I normally am very critical of our home support but I always sing. Yeah I imagine a lot of them have been to away games, but they aren't really in one spot unless the grounds are like Prestons and don't have allocated seating.

Of course we are in one friggin spot, same stand isn,t it ? jesus wept man:coat:

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 24, 2011, 03:55:25 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
It doesn't help that after demanding people make some noise they immediately turn up the music to deafening levels, drowning out any singing immediately and killing the atmosphere. Completely daft and counter productive. Kill the volume and cut down on all the unnecessary babble from the MC/deafening music in the pre-match build up, get a campaign together to try and get all the singers to stand together as one in the same part of the stadium and it'd be better.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 24, 2011, 09:53:43 pm by JonWallsend »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=152996

Sounds like more wilfull O'driscoll contrarianism.

Of course 3 points at any time is worth 3 points. But Friday's match was more important than the ones that had already gone because we could no longer do anything to influence those other games. They were finished. Done. Mostly lost already.

What is the point in complaining about folk getting worked up about a match happening NOW as opposed to one that happened 6 months ago. It seems almost designed to put a damper on things.

And, as with so many of O'Driscoll's public announcements, it utterly ignores (or perhaps, deliberately runs contrary to) the fans' mentality. Every fan knows that that the more exciting and important games are the ones where the result can immediately be SEEN to affect the chances of promotion/relegation. Even the die hards who go to every match get an extra knot in their stomach in those matches. Why decry that? It's a fact of life.

While I agree with  you about the extra importance of a game on Friday in relation to our chances of survival, and it is typial of SOD to try and dampen things down, on re-reading the programme notes SOD uses the term 'this game' in its generic form when compared with another game rather than this game, meaning the Palace match. He was emphesising the fact that 'we should approach every fixture we compete in with the same attitude, determination and will to win.' Fair point for me.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012