Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 05:36:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: George Friend - an apology.  (Read 2455 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
George Friend - an apology.
« on April 30, 2011, 07:33:42 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Ok..I admit when he first came here I thought he was dodgy, up until a few months ago my heart used to drop when his name was read out on the starting eleven.

But.....these last few weeks, in my opinion, he has been probably our most consistent player, and, today especially, I thought he was immense. Yes, little slips / mistakes are still there....but they seem to be being ironed out slowly but surely.

I think we have a real gem on our hands with George....SOD has unearthed another gem.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: George Friend - an apology.
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2011, 07:34:26 pm by RedJ »
agreed! :scarf:

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2011, 07:50:32 pm by scuzzer »
Agree on all fronts. At times he's looked utterly dreaful at left back but since the move to the middle he's looked absolute class and could be a massive player for us next season in that position.

He's done well with Thomas next to him the last couple of games too, i'm torn on Thomas, he's had some absolute shockers but has been better of late to the point i'd be tempted to give him another year.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2011, 07:55:57 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"scuzzer\" post=154479
Agree on all fronts. At times he's looked utterly dreaful at left back but since the move to the middle he's looked absolute class and could be a massive player for us next season in that position.

He's done well with Thomas next to him the last couple of games too, i'm torn on Thomas, he's had some absolute shockers but has been better of late to the point i'd be tempted to give him another year.

I would echo that, it's Shelts that worries me far more than Thomas and we seem to be stuck with him for now. Just where and when did Martis lose the talent that most of us loved and will it come back ? :chair:

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2011, 08:03:39 pm by scuzzer »
Agreed on Shelts too pal, crikey its like he's had a body transplant with the bloke we had on loan, he really has had a season to forget.

Fingers crossed its a blip because he has played well in the past, but unfortunately its becoming the dim and distant past!

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2011, 08:05:11 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
Friend - Player of the season :coat:

DonnyHodge

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2011, 08:32:26 pm by DonnyHodge »
I infact today at the keepmoat pronounced \"george im sorry, i was wrong\" I too was in the \"oh god hes not a championship player\" and he has become our rock at CB. you can keep kilgallon. We've got george Friend!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 01, 2011, 09:50:34 am by Metalmicky »
The club really need to get Gorgeous George signed up on a longer term before the big boys come knocking.  He only has a year left (June 2012) and I think on his performances in the 2nd half of this season, we should look to secure his services.

Well played George - you have proved a lot of doubters wrong

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 01, 2011, 10:02:58 am by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Metalmicky\" post=154622
The club really need to get Gorgeous George signed up on a longer term before the big boys come knocking.  He only has a year left (June 2012) and I think on his performances in the 2nd half of this season, we should look to secure his services.

Agreed.

Proved me wrong, and glad he did. He's even a lot less shit at left back now :laugh: but he does need a bit more pace, doesn't he?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 01, 2011, 10:30:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
George is quality, gonna be a big player for us and seems such a nice guy, seems to love playing for Rovers right now aswell.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #10 on May 01, 2011, 10:33:00 am by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=154624
Quote from: \"Metalmicky\" post=154622

Agreed.

Proved me wrong, and glad he did. He's even a lot less shit at left back now :laugh: but he does need a bit more pace, doesn't he?

I'd agree on the pace thing if he's to play left back every week next season, but for a centre half i'd say he's fine with his pace. The thing with being at centre half is you don't need pace if you can anticipate things well and he seems to do that very well.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 01, 2011, 10:50:44 am by Padge_DRFC »
best player for months never mind weeks.

DRFC.drummer

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 01, 2011, 02:18:16 pm by DRFC.drummer »
last couple of weeks he's definatly been my man of the match. but in the second half of the season he's been amazing and prob our best player.  i still think he's not the best player at full back but at centre back he's our best defender.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 01, 2011, 08:31:36 pm by jmt »
If he could kick the ball straight he would be worth a fortune:silly:

VikingJames

« Reply #14 on May 01, 2011, 09:18:00 pm by VikingJames »
As somebody has already mentioned, there's still the odd mistake to be ironed out with George, but the potential he has as a centre back is there for all to see.

I always thought he had the height to play centre back, but I'm amazed that his upturn in form since changing position has been so rapid and so successful. Take yesterday's game as an example, he won absolutely everything in the air making him look almost Shackell-esque at times.

He's done really well in the past few months, and also seems to have the right personality/attitude to continue to improve. If he can keep improving at the rate he already has, he'll be a big asset to us next season and hopefully in years to come.

EDIT - Another noticable change seems to be in his confidence. He looks much more assured nowadays. Whether that is because he's got used to the Championship or because he has won the supporters over I don't know, but he doesn't look anywhere near as nervy on the pitch as he did a few months ago.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 02, 2011, 10:39:02 am by bobjimwilly »
Friend has shown a vast improvement since moving to CB. And even over the last few games he's gone from being scared of heading the ball, to being being the first one there and getting a head to everything in the air.

I also believe Thomas is a different player with friend alongside him, and a definate 1st choice starter over Martis.

With Chambers and Mills returning at the start of next season, I think we could get away with buying just 1 CB, as the more you start a pair of CB's together, the better they usually perform.

:scarf:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012