Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:08:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stock and Brooker  (Read 2320 times)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Stock and Brooker
« on May 07, 2011, 05:17:28 pm by The L J Monk »
According to Sean in his post match interview:

Stock having an operation on Wednesday - career threatening injury, realistically out until Christmas.
Brooker had operation on Friday - more serious than originally thought, out for 3 months.

Have to wonder if Stock's problem was factored in to his contract negotiations and whether Brooker will get a chance next year as he'll miss the whole of pre-season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris

• Forum Member
Re: Stock and Brooker
« Reply #1 on May 07, 2011, 05:27:47 pm by Chris »
Brooker has to go. We've been carrying him for too long now. Save the money.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 07, 2011, 05:44:40 pm by CusworthRovers »
I'd consider letting Brooker go (first time I've felt like this in all the 2yrs). This cannot go on. To be fair to Stevie boy, he's even said he would be willing to drop his terms to stay here and to repay the club. Nice touch. Stocky should stay with this team.

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 07, 2011, 07:16:14 pm by jonrover »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=155896
I'd consider letting Brooker go (first time I've felt like this in all the 2yrs). This cannot go on. To be fair to Stevie boy, he's even said he would be willing to drop his terms to stay here and to repay the club. Nice touch. Stocky should stay with this team.

We should have cashed in on Stock two years ago.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 07, 2011, 07:31:35 pm by grayx »
Right, so thats a quality midfielder & a decent striker we need already. Poor SOD's got his work cut out.

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 07, 2011, 07:47:57 pm by george-friend »
Quote from: \"grayx\" post=155921
Right, so thats a quality midfielder & a decent striker we need already. Poor SOD's got his work cut out.

Are you suggesting that we would have to find a replacement for Brooker ?
You dont miss what you have never had and lets be honest we have never really had Brooker. :pinch: :blush:

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 08, 2011, 04:52:20 am by Kenny_Senior »
I agree about Brian Stock and the comment that we should have cashed in on him a few years ago.

I've nothing against him and he has been a fantastic servant to the club, but his recurring injury problems are getting ridiculous. His long term back problem, combined with the vast amount of short term injuries that he collects is evidently taking its toll.

Assuming he recovers from this latest injury, how is he going to cope having not played for months and will he ever reach his full potential again? I'd doubt it.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 08, 2011, 09:29:39 am by coventryrover »
So when Stock was on top form and a massive influence on the team you would have been happy to cash in on him???  My arse!! (no disrespect intended)

By the same reasoning lets get rid of Friend, Sharp, Muzzy now!!  Because if they get injured we may miss out on cashing in on them.

I give up ;(

fudgepacker

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 08, 2011, 09:37:39 am by fudgepacker »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=156010
So when Stock was on top form and a massive influence on the team you would have been happy to cash in on him???  My arse!! (no disrespect intended)

By the same reasoning lets get rid of Friend, Sharp, Muzzy now!!  Because if they get injured we may miss out on cashing in on them.

I give up ;(

I agree, Nobody could have forseen the injury problems that Stocky has gone through. We bang on about not selling our best players and then go on about how we should have cashed in on Stocky.

He's still on of our best players, injuries or not and he certainly makes us tick when he plays at his best.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 08, 2011, 10:40:57 am by danrover82 »
Quote from: \"fudgepacker\" post=156013

I agree, Nobody could have forseen the injury problems that Stocky has gone through. We bang on about not selling our best players and then go on about how we should have cashed in on Stocky.

He's still on of our best players, injuries or not and he certainly makes us tick when he plays at his best.

In all seriousness, how much has he been at his best this season?  This is our worst as a club in this league and if we've rushed him back (where he's been passenger) which has happened alot this season. Then something needs to be address in the background staff, like the number of injuries in training and re-occurrance  of injuires.

Is training too much?
Are players rushed back too soon?

Time for the board to make some key decisions, as to where they intend for us to go and be realistic with the fans.

I think it was SOD that said we have an identity in the way we play and that was lost this year with the fear of relegation. If we get relegated by having it back then so be it. He also said that we're over budget with the mis summer signings we extended. So thats  not good in the way of keeping some of the other players we need to extend and also the signing of new.

As fans I think we've done all we can. We probably spend a bigger percentage of our earnings than some the board.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 08, 2011, 10:58:27 am by benaldo »
The Stock injuries are such a shame. Last season that man was immense for the team, this season he's been, at best, a bit part player well out of form and a shadow of the great footballer he can be. I really hope he can get better quickly and with care. Fingers crossed for him. Our poor form always seems to correlate with Stocks form for some reason..........

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 08, 2011, 02:23:53 pm by jonrover »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=156010

I give up ;(

What on earth are you on about?

Stock has been blighted by a debilitating back injury since 2008/09. He's hardly trained during those years so he can be fit for games. I agree, Stock is an influence on games but given the state of his injuries I'd have taken the money and invested it in someone else when the likes of Reading, Swansea and Southampton were all dusting down their cheque books.

Football is a business and it would have made economical sense to take the money in my opinion.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 08, 2011, 02:32:32 pm by coventryrover »
Quote from: \"jonrover\" post=155920

The last sentence of your original post in this thread suggests when Stock was on top form for us we should have sold him; do you not agree with your own sentiments?

We are aware of his injuries, no doubt other clubs would have been too so I dont think we would have got that much for him.  There is something about matches and our play when Stock plays isnt there?

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 08, 2011, 10:40:28 pm by jonrover »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=156040
Quote from: \"jonrover\" post=155920

The last sentence of your original post in this thread suggests when Stock was on top form for us we should have sold him; do you not agree with your own sentiments?

We are aware of his injuries, no doubt other clubs would have been too so I dont think we would have got that much for him.  There is something about matches and our play when Stock plays isnt there?

Erm...the bit in bold was my original post in its entirety...how the frig does that suggest anything other than I feel we should have flogged him two years ago??

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 09, 2011, 08:29:12 am by coventryrover »
Because you express regret in not selling him when he was on form.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2011, 09:35:03 am by wing commander »
Hindsight is a wonderfull thing,but if this op is as serious as reported then he will have to be replaced as if isnt back to xmas by the time he recovers full match fitness it will be over..
  Brooker has to be released his knee is buggered as is the rest of him,the guy just cant play regulary and i doubt at this level he will,its all well and good saying pay him on a play basis but its not that simple.Player insurance will still have to be paid and i bet thats not cheap for him!!,time and cost of his ongoing medical treatment etc etc and just as important squad places and balance,earlier this season when Fairhurst was sent on loan it was done because we had striker cover but when we needed him he wasnt available..Now i know that can happen to anybody but 1 start in 2 years tells it all.Has to be released...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012